Overactive lower body - help

Going through the roughest patch in my 20 years of golf, enough to be seriously considering jacking it all in.

I’ve gone from a 4 to a 9 in 6 months and genuinely struggling to break 90.

I'm looking at my swing and my legs are all over the place, they turn as soon as my body turns, my left knee goes way out towards the ball and this all gets the club inside and on the way down I hump that goat pretty hard.

I can stand there all day and swing without moving my hips or legs half as much but as soon as a ball is down it’s mayhem.

anyone been through this and have a cure?

Edited by ironcat
Typo

I have the same problem as well.  Proper sequencing is key here obviously.  I don't know the cure but perhaps @MonteScheinblumcan chime in. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It’s definitely a Monte topic, and his NTC and power shift videos have helped me with this.

On the way back, I’m not actively turning my hips anymore. I keep them pretty still and they naturally turn and link up with my torso turn.

On the way down, getting the pressure to the lead side early has been key for me. If you hang back, your trail leg is forced into doing a lot of work in the downswing to help move your body forward. If your pressure is already into your lead side, your trail leg can stay pretty passive so less goat humping. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

32 minutes ago, dsmil said:

It’s definitely a Monte topic, and his NTC and power shift videos have helped me with this.

On the way back, I’m not actively turning my hips anymore. I keep them pretty still and they naturally turn and link up with my torso turn.

On the way down, getting the pressure to the lead side early has been key for me. If you hang back, your trail leg is forced into doing a lot of work in the downswing to help move your body forward. If your pressure is already into your lead side, your trail leg can stay pretty passive so less goat humping. 

this.gif.b7bde2f20f3b3d7da8dbe1befa76ba88.gif

I am right there with  you Iron. Have lost all semblance of a swing and feel for game.  Just my luck starting next month have summer months off and joined local club with unlimited weekday play, and I am just horrible. 12 rounds in with one sub 90 round.  Every emotion in the book running thru my body, anger, frustration, embarrassed, sad, gutted. Worse I play past month the more I work to try to find the fix every single night, and deeper into the rabbit hole I go. It's just my DNA to dig it into the dirt deeper.

Good luck finding a fix. I really need to put clubs away for the next week, but have 8 am tee time tomorrow and 5:55am Saturday. Why do I do this again?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, ironcat said:

Going through the roughest patch in my 20 years of golf, enough to be seriously considering jacking it all in.

I’ve gone from a 4 to a 9 in 6 months and genuinely struggling to break 90.

I'm looking at my swing and my legs are all over the place, they turn as soon as my body turns, my left knee goes way out towards the ball and this all gets the club inside and on the way down I hump that goat pretty hard.

I can stand there all day and swing without moving my hips or legs half as much but as soon as a ball is down it’s mayhem.

anyone been through this and have a cure?

Setup with your left foot flared out towards the target 1/4 turn + open your stance a small amount via pulling your left back 1/2-1” from the target line 

This is swing cancer.  Low point issues, two way miss, low balls, high balls......   I have had the affliction for the past 15 years.  I am not sure there is a cure.   I am solely focused on pivoting between my legs.  BOTH legs.  I had an enormous dance move and a reverse pivot.  I started my swing with hip turn.......  Felt as though I was loading my legs to crush it.  I wasn't   I was dancing all over.  

Focusing on sequence, hands and shoulders, then legs has helped with low point control.   Turning my shoulders to the inside of my right leg, keeping the pressure inside the arch, without a reverse picot has helped direction.  I started taking lessons from a local pro that noticed I was out of sequence, moving my hips too far to the right, reverse pivot, then having to slide all the way back.  My swing feels as though I have half the movement I had.  No tension just smaller movements.  

I hate to admit this but Youtube has destroyed me.  I was one of those that tried every tip out there.  Some worked for a bit most made me lose it further.  We are now back to basics.  Working on the foundation and the turn until I get it right. 

The completely strange part is I am hitting it farther and straighter than I have in a very long time.  I was a single digit then caught the affliction and languished in 15 16 land for at least 7 years.    The HC is finally falling.  I have hope.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tt81621 said:

This is swing cancer.  Low point issues, two way miss, low balls, high balls......   I have had the affliction for the past 15 years.  I am not sure there is a cure.   I am solely focused on pivoting between my legs.  BOTH legs.  I had an enormous dance move and a reverse pivot.  I started my swing with hip turn.......  Felt as though I was loading my legs to crush it.  I wasn't   I was dancing all over.  

Focusing on sequence, hands and shoulders, then legs has helped with low point control.   Turning my shoulders to the inside of my right leg, keeping the pressure inside the arch, without a reverse picot has helped direction.  I started taking lessons from a local pro that noticed I was out of sequence, moving my hips too far to the right, reverse pivot, then having to slide all the way back.  My swing feels as though I have half the movement I had.  No tension just smaller movements.  

I hate to admit this but Youtube has destroyed me.  I was one of those that tried every tip out there.  Some worked for a bit most made me lose it further.  We are now back to basics.  Working on the foundation and the turn until I get it right. 

The completely strange part is I am hitting it farther and straighter than I have in a very long time.  I was a single digit then caught the affliction and languished in 15 16 land for at least 7 years.    The HC is finally falling.  I have hope.  

Good to see your swing is slowly improving.  This is exactly the reason why I don't watch instruction videos on youtube.  I'm at a point where my ball striking with irons is good and putting has always been the best part of my game as a 4 cap, however, driver has always been the bane to my game, lol.  I'm finding myself teeing off with 3 metal on par 4's under 420 yards and it's pretty much a bandage for now.  I've started working on a couple things but plan to go see a renown swing coach in my area soon.     

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Good to see your swing is slowly improving.  This is exactly the reason why I don't watch instruction videos on youtube.  I'm at a point where my ball striking with irons is good and putting has always been the best part of my game as a 4 cap, however, driver has always been the bane to my game, lol.  I'm finding myself teeing off with 3 metal on par 4's under 420 yards and it's pretty much a bandage for now.  I've started working on a couple things but plan to go see a renown swing coach in my area soon.     

I am Finally starting to focus on short game again rather than chasing a swing I saw on Youtube.  Handicap will drop fast once I start to focus on what really matters, not GG Swing tips.  Haha,.  I had two four putts last week.  Always something