119 mph "shirtsleeve swing" for free, enjoy!

chipa

I'm 5'6 157 lbs and 57 years old with 3 fused vertebrae and weak knees. See the complete swing technique info in my other thread.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1911196-easy-swing-technique-for-high-handicap-golfers-ready-to-try-something-different

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

4 minutes ago, Jeselnik said:

Ha!  I love that swing.  Any TGM’s around?  Got to be a right arm swing…….right?  I would use the checkrein of a straight left arm, what your doing is a minor miracle.  Hard to reproduce other peoples miracles.

JNIK

My friend Javier has reached 106 with his 45" driver with the same technique and he is 56 and started playing golf 3 years ago. He is still trying to get the correct leg tension but when he does its great to see.

There are plenty of non standard swings swing out there. This swing is based on force and loading and the natural biomechanical constraints of the human body. I have used my engineering background to look at the swing in terms of applying efficient loading of certain parts of the body.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

3 minutes ago, b_f_c_99 said:

I don’t view this any different as long drive stuff.  If all you need to do is get 1 in 10 on a grid and your having a good time keep on keeping on!

This swing isn't difficult to keep the ball in play on most courses, especially if one executes the technique well and swings within their limits with a balanced finish.

If you question my left arm being bent keep in mind many great golfers had their left arm bent at impact as well, like Ben Hogan for example and Annika Sorenstam.

Notes:

30 minutes ago, Golf_Goof said:

Lol - that driver looks 60" long,,,

It looks long because I'm short, 5'6". It's 47.5" w/an Accuflex Ultraboom.

Notes:

"119 mph" 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

44 minutes ago, wrm2120 said:

"119 mph" 

126 mph snap hook. I only hit 15 balls including warmup. I feel like I can break 130 with ball speeds over 190.

Notes:

4 minutes ago, dirthead said:

Did you top that one??  Looked like a puff of dirt just after impact.

The ball was a low rope hook, it was my last swing of the day and my attempt to show Golfwrx that I could hit 125. The ground was also wet and I was also pretty wet from the rain, including my shoes.

Notes:

9 minutes ago, dirthead said:

Did you top that one??  Looked like a puff of dirt just after impact.

lol yes.  ground ball to shortstop.

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

1 minute ago, ChipStrokes said:

lol yes.  ground ball to shortstop.

I posted the video to show our technique allows us to swing fast, but like anyone the results aren't always the best approaching one's max. speed. Jack Nicklaus among others has hit a topped shot under pressure. Take care buddy.

Notes:

2 hours ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Keep going chipa and you will soon become the board's long-drive guru!  By the way, what shoes do you recommend for the level of resistance you have in play with the ground.

I play with flat bottom tennis shoes. This is better for those people with weaker knees like myself, it allows the feet to slide around a little. With the weight staying toward the front of the feet this additional pressure keeps one connected well. The ground was wet and yet I  didn't slip. I learned this from Rocco Mediates video, where he swings his club barefoot standing on wet grass.

Also, my goal isn't to be a long drive guru, my goal is to help people with weak backs enjoy the game and those who don't really have a technique that helps them hit the ball well. It just turns out this technique is powerful as me and Javier have found out. It is the loading of the legs early on, just as Freddy Couples does(among others) that is the key, it keeps the legs, hips and lower back all "flexibly" connected, somewhat like a lattice bridge (but with more flexible connections) that is stronger structurally due to the multiple interconnected trusses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Notes:

On 5/16/2023 at 5:02 PM, chipa said:

Also, my goal isn't to be a long drive guru, my goal is to help people with weak backs enjoy the game and those who don't really have a technique that helps them hit the ball well. It just turns out this technique is powerful as me and Javier have found out.

Ya' never know chipa, you might end up doing both, becoming a long-drive WRX-board guru that can actually help those weak backs, or others too, who don't really have a technique that helps them hit a ball well.  Keep polishing up the sequence, keep looking for more solutions, and make sure you post updates from you and Javier. 🙂

• Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

23 minutes ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Ya' never know chipa, you might end up doing both, becoming a long-drive WRX-board guru that can actually help those weak backs, or others too, who don't really have a technique that helps them hit a ball well.  Keep polishing up the sequence, keep looking for more solutions, and make sure you post updates from you and Javier. 🙂

Thanks for the positive comments.

BTW, I just posted my speed so that people would see that our technique is efficient and give it a try. I've put everything we've learned about this technique on the forum.

Notes: