Need some insight from ping anser collectors

Billy_shears

So I’ve come to obtain a small collection of vintage ping putters. There’s several ansers, cushins, and Scottsdale ansers one of the Scottsdales is a manganese bronze 30th anniversary edition in mint condition with the head cover. I see these things posted online for a wide array of prices and have done some research and found that certain ones are more valuable or more collectible than others. But it’s a lot of info to sift though considering there are so many different ones. I’d like to keep at least  one for myself as well but don’t want to play with one that may be more valuable as a collectible, Can someone shed some light on what collectors are looking for and what the more collectible ones are worth?

Edited by Billy_shears

As far as non-Scottsdale vintage mid to late 1960's Anser's I look for a few things.

> zip code 85029

> good condition

> no sight line addition 

> Dale Head shape Karsten Co and Karsten Mfg. Corp. (no Made in USA near top line above the cavity stampings)

> original shaft label

> length at 35" or longer

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Putter Addict said:

Photos would help if possible. 

This. It would be easier to help if we knew what you had. 

15 hours ago, Billy_shears said:

So I’ve come to obtain a small collection of vintage ping putters. There’s several ansers, cushins, and Scottsdale ansers one of the Scottsdales is a manganese bronze 30th anniversary edition in mint condition with the head cover. I see these things posted online for a wide array of prices and have done some research and found that certain ones are more valuable or more collectible than others. But it’s a lot of info to sift though considering there are so many different ones. I’d like to keep at least  one for myself as well but don’t want to play with one that may be more valuable as a collectible, Can someone shed some light on what collectors are looking for and what the more collectible ones are worth?

The mint 30th anniversary is a cool piece but not particularly valuable -- PING made something like 20,000 of them if my memory serves. I have a mint 30th in my collection with the stickers still on it that I think I paid ~$100 for. If you like the feel and putt well with it, play it! Remember, these are tools made to be used for improving your golf game. I have 25+ vintage and rare PING Ansers and I have putted with almost all of them. Anything really truly rare, like '66 Daleheads, KBI Ansers, etc... need to have the original shafts, grips, bands, and be in decent condition w/ correct patina to be worth serious money. 

PING made many thousands of Ansers over the years. The vast majority of heads you will see online and in person are not valuable or rare at all. I would go as far as to say that even most of the expensive listings you see online are mispriced by people who don't really know what constitutes rarity in the PING collecting world. 

What I'm trying to say with all these words is this: enjoy the putters you have. Play them. Use them. Hoard them. Show them off. But don't stress about it, at the end of the day they're tools. And post some pics!!! 😄

• PING G430 Max 10K 9* Tour 2.0 black 65X 
  • PING G430 Max 3w Tensei Raw Orange 75X
  • PING G410 19* Tour chrome 85X
  • NEW LEVEL 480-TC 4-PW X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-SS 50*/54* X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-VS 60* X100 TI
  • PING PLD Anser (Carbon Patina) PLD Graphite shaft
  • Bridgestone BX

1 hour ago, FireRockAndy said:

This. It would be easier to help if we knew what you had. 

The mint 30th anniversary is a cool piece but not particularly valuable -- PING made something like 20,000 of them if my memory serves. I have a mint 30th in my collection with the stickers still on it that I think I paid ~$100 for. If you like the feel and putt well with it, play it! Remember, these are tools made to be used for improving your golf game. I have 25+ vintage and rare PING Ansers and I have putted with almost all of them. Anything really truly rare, like '66 Daleheads, KBI Ansers, etc... need to have the original shafts, grips, bands, and be in decent condition w/ correct patina to be worth serious money. 

PING made many thousands of Ansers over the years. The vast majority of heads you will see online and in person are not valuable or rare at all. I would go as far as to say that even most of the expensive listings you see online are mispriced by people who don't really know what constitutes rarity in the PING collecting world. 

What I'm trying to say with all these words is this: enjoy the putters you have. Play them. Use them. Hoard them. Show them off. But don't stress about it, at the end of the day they're tools. And post some pics!!! 😄

I think we got our mint conditions from the same guy on eBay. II saw a sold listing he had that looked exactly like yours. I paid 100 as well for it. I believe his name was teeitup. I feel bad cause the guy has had it so long in mint condition that I don’t want it I get it and throw it in the bag ha even though it will pretty sweet to be playing with a brand new ping in 2023.  Also, what is considered “the right patina”? 

6 hours ago, Putter Addict said:

im going to get some photos once they come in. The eBay listings weren’t the best photos. 

Nice! The right patina is a natural one that hasn't been cleaned up. There is no uniform patina that is considered collectible but you can generally tell right away if something has been cleaned. I personally don't care because anything I buy I purchase with the intent to play, even if most of the time that does not happen due to the number of putters I own. 

I think collecting for any hobby is a slippery slope and one should always purchase with the intent of using whatever it is. If you can sell and make a buck then great. Unfortunately though trends come and go and buyers all see things differently. Some like things pristine while others don't. All depends on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Others may disagree with me obviously but this has been my experience with the hobbies I enjoy and collect for. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

Nice! The right patina is a natural one that hasn't been cleaned up. There is no uniform patina that is considered collectible but you can generally tell right away if something has been cleaned. I personally don't care because anything I buy I purchase with the intent to play, even if most of the time that does not happen due to the number of putters I own. 

I think collecting for any hobby is a slippery slope and one should always purchase with the intent of using whatever it is. If you can sell and make a buck then great. Unfortunately though trends come and go and buyers all see things differently. Some like things pristine while others don't. All depends on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Others may disagree with me obviously but this has been my experience with the hobbies I enjoy and collect for. 

It’s definitely a slippery slope. Right now my “collection” is a hickory shafted otey crisman, a mint condition limited edition Micheal Jordan 8802 and now I’ll have a ping Scottsdale. Well technically I’ll have two Scottsdale’s and three other pings but I’m only keeping one. The only one I won’t play with is the Micheal Jordan one. I’m holding out that his collectibles get pricy and I can sell it for at least a couple hundred. I got the pings with Intent to sell or use as a putter to complete a beginner set and just want to keep one for me ha 

Edited by Billy_shears

@Putter Addictheres a few pics of the otey and the 8802. I wish the 8802 had the head cover and the coa. I sent some photos to a Wilson rep and they were able to help me make sure it was real. I got it in a beginner set that I bought for $50 and then sold the set for $50 and kept the putter. 

IMG_3103.png.6b29a45f50d6035e46592781d83393d2.pngIMG_3102.png.3076cfb7cca8d776c9b7c5780ff74108.pngIMG_3101.png.ca89df053e01d8b0f1fe24c20f5f7382.pngIMG_3100.png.ea1fbf6aeef15fb527c54556ea640f91.pngIMG_3099.png.3152a9913ee85326ecced27412de5c73.png

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 11:31 AM, FireRockAndy said:

On 5/31/2023 at 7:06 AM, Putter Addict said:

This. It would be easier to help if we knew what you had

On 5/31/2023 at 7:06 AM, Putter Addict said:

Here’s what came in so far. The mint condition 30th anniversary one will be here tomorrow 

IMG_3117.jpeg.b9eead8e88671f27ca3b87f28a2ef88f.jpegIMG_3120.jpeg.b5c911b9274768dc17f5f786e9816bf0.jpegIMG_3121.jpeg.75b068223fbbf3b0da9e654c39811a70.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

Maybe someone else will chime in here as I don't know all the ins and outs of the zip code stuff, but I don't think any of those are particularly rare or of high value. Nice putters though. I have one of the Scottsdale and love it. One of the few that still makes it in my bag every now and then. 

Yea I think they’re just basic ping anser putters but not sure. I got them for a good enough price that I’m not missing out on much but can make a couple dollars and sell them for a good price each 

13 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

That Scottsdale is nice. If you find a light grip to put on it, it's a great one to use. 

I actually have one that is my gamer. I put the ping pp58 grip on it. The sight line someone previously scratched in so I got a file and did it right and repainted it all. I love it it’s a great putter. I’ve had it a week or so and it’s already starting to turn brown it’s crazy how fast the metal oxidizes IMG_3078.jpeg.1e8b6a2700bbfba1ebe8ef859ff67428.jpegIMG_3077.jpeg.84a844a5fffcc8127bcf0d7d3ee1909e.jpeg

1 minute ago, Putter Addict said:

Is that the nickel one? I have one of each material, the nickel, copper, and bronze. I think the nickel is my favorite. They turn color but those things can take a beating and still look great. 

It’s the becu. It just looks lighter in the photos. I haven’t seen too many of the nickel ones around 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Putter Addict said:

Maybe someone else will chime in here as I don't know all the ins and outs of the zip code stuff, but I don't think any of those are particularly rare or of high value. Nice putters though. I have one of the Scottsdale and love it. One of the few that still makes it in my bag every now and then. 

Yep, I agree with this post. 

2 hours ago, Billy_shears said:

It’s the becu. It just looks lighter in the photos. I haven’t seen too many of the nickel ones around 

The one you posted with the sight line filed into it is MgBr. The BeCu and BeNi Anser remakes don't have a sound slot cut into them. Also the color on the BeCu Ansers is more copper/redish-brown tone and that one is more of a golden/polished brass color. 

• Like 1
  • Bridgestone BX

Here is a color comparison of the 3 metals

IMG_1126.JPG

• Like 4
  • Bridgestone BX

@Putter Addict @FireRockAndy

here’s the last one. I think I’ll keep this one and sell the rest. I wanted to find the one I liked most and I think this one is it. Part of me doesn’t want to use it but it’s like y’all said it’s a tool meant to be used. Plus I’m always one for going against the grain and not following the rest of the world and I think it’ll be sweet to out putt my friends with a 30 year old putter in brand new condition IMG_3134.jpeg.12f0681bbcfe6723ac4488541951abda.jpegIMG_3132.jpeg.5f4ba40b55d2e24f758b48c86be74585.jpegIMG_3133.jpeg.1014d378c07dc260700d5bb8718ad424.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

Dang that’s cool. I’m an Anser 2 / Newport 2 fan. Not “collectible” by anyone’s measure but would certainly like to add a BeCu Anser 2 to the pile just for fun. 

Thanks. That makes one in the last photo is a mint condition 30th anniversary Scottsdale anser. I think they made line 20k. That one is going in my bag ha. I was going to start a collection but decided not to so I’m selling the ones I have on eBay. I got them all at a good deal so hopefully I can get a few extra bucks you know. The hard thing with the Becu putters is a lot of them on eBay are listed as Becu but as I learned the other day they’re manganese bronze not beryllium copper. 

44 minutes ago, Billy_shears said:

Thanks. That makes one in the last photo is a mint condition 30th anniversary Scottsdale anser. I think they made line 20k. That one is going in my bag ha. I was going to start a collection but decided not to so I’m selling the ones I have on eBay. I got them all at a good deal so hopefully I can get a few extra bucks you know. The hard thing with the Becu putters is a lot of them on eBay are listed as Becu but as I learned the other day they’re manganese bronze not beryllium copper. 

I’ve heard that some of the models but  my understanding is that Anser 2’s weren’t done in manganese bronze. definitely want to make sure before I get weak and buy one.  

34 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

I’ve heard that some of the models but  my understanding is that Anser 2’s weren’t done in manganese bronze. definitely want to make sure before I get weak and buy one.  

I think you’re right. I don’t see any on eBay that are mnbr. Just becu. 

1 hour ago, weakputt said:

The BeCu's did not have a sound slot, nor did the BeNi's. Sight line kills it.

Yea someone else showed me the difference between each metal a little farther up. Why do people not like the sight line? I had to add it because someone else had a messy scratched line in it so I cleaned it up and at least made it look like it’s supposed to be there. Luckily I have a second one that doesn’t have the sight line 

nice collection btw! 

Edited by Billy_shears

15 hours ago, Billy_shears said:

Yea someone else showed me the difference between each metal a little farther up. Why do people not like the sight line? I had to add it because someone else had a messy scratched line in it so I cleaned it up and at least made it look like it’s supposed to be there. Luckily I have a second one that doesn’t have the sight line 

nice collection btw! 

You started this Post with collection ideas / opinions on different Anser - Ping putter values. $

Putter collectors usually collect putters that are not altered. Added sight lines, especially ones on the top line are a non starter to me and I assume most collectors. Therefore they affect the value negatively.

There are some rarer mid-1995's Scottsdale remakes that do have a factory back flange sight line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weakputt said:

You started this Post with collection ideas / opinions on different Anser - Ping putter values. $

Putter collectors usually collect putters that are not altered. Added sight lines, especially ones on the top line are a non starter to me and I assume most collectors. Therefore they affect the value negatively.

There are some rarer mid-1995's Scottsdale remakes that do have a factory back flange sight line.

that makes a lot of sense. I didn’t really think of it that way. It’s like I collected coins growing up and you can’t ever clean them. My little putter collection is just kind of getting one of each of the classics so as long as it’s in good shape that’s important but I can see how unaltered is better. I’m finding out that the ping ansers are a whole sub category of collectibles on its own. I had no idea there were so many different ones.

I buy and sell clubs mostly cheapy ones for beginners just for some extra pocket money and traded  another club I had laying around for the mnbr one with the sight line added just to try it out because I’ve been wanting to try an anser and really putted well with it and then it was all down hill from there I fell in love ha. Next thing you know I came across someone selling 4 pings for like $50 and figured why not get them do a little research and figure out what’s what and the one I want.

I ended up also buying the mint condition 30th anniversary one that i posted pics of above and kept that one and a Scottsdale remake with no sight line just have been reselling the other 3 that weren’t really as collectible. The collection ends up paying for itself so I can’t complain.

Edited by Billy_shears