2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hitting my Hybrids Right, could it possible be the shafts?

You can see from my Sig that I have two PXG 0371 X Proto 3 & 4 hybrids with Ventus Blue 7S shafts.  Everybody complains about hitting their hybrids left.  But these two are right, straight right, not slice or strong fade, straight push right.

No issue with hitting driver or 3 wood straight right.  Is it me or could it be the shafts.

I have been working on consistently inside out swing and when I do it right I get some great little draws.  I may play with the loft adjustments and see if that make any difference.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Without seeing your swing first things that jump out to me would be ball position, then lie and club length. Start with your ball position, 90% of the time its that. Start with it in the middle of your stance and move it up slowly, half a ball at a time. Lots of people hit too down on a hybrid like its a 7 iron but its better to treat it like a chunky 5 iron in ball position. Lots of tour van hybrids are flatter for a reason as the off the rack are a tad more upright. If you have the opportunity to go somewhere with a flightscope/trackman to see your launch #s and spin it will solve the issue when you move the ball around in your stance. Most importantly, let the club do the work, trying to get more out of hybrids leads to as you mentioned the left shots or blocks. The Ventus HB is a great hybrid shaft with a quiet tip so something is a miss elsewhere if youre loading the driver and 3 wood properly enough to square the face consistently.

Edited by lowheel
  • Like 1

Thanks, I am not sure that I have experimented with position, but I'll move it up a bit and see.  I typically place them mid way like an iron.  I can see how that would give a little more time to square the face.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S

Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

3 minutes ago, dbdors said:

Thanks, I am not sure that I have experimented with position, but I'll move it up a bit and see.  I typically place them mid way like an iron.  I can see how that would give a little more time to square the face.

Its very easily overlooked. When Im playing tournaments and I alternate between driving iron and hybrid depending on the course I always have to be mindful of ball position as I can easily hook one if im not paying attention. Most pros play it ahead of center like a 5 iron this way the club does the work. We sometimes get too steep with it in the middle of the stance and it hooks or blocks badly. Hitting a hybrid is better of course with a descending blow but not beyond -3.5* down. Moving it ahead a ball or ball and a half will feel like a different club. More speed at the bottom for sure and more time to square it up. You will most certainly hook your first couple

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dbdors said:

I have been working on consistently inside out swing and when I do it right I get some great little draws.  I may play with the loft adjustments and see if that make any difference.

Based on this - it's probably the swing.   

But it's not impossible that the equipment can influence the swing.  But you have to look at more than just the shaft.   Shaft weight, swing weight, shaft stiffness, playing length, or face angle (playing with the lofts will help you figure out if that's the problem) all could be potential contributors.    If a change in ball flight comes with a change in equipment (If you have previous hybrids that didn't get that kind of results with) a more detailed comparison of how these hybrids are different from the "good" hybrids might give some insight.  

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, lowheel said:

Without seeing your swing first things that jump out to me would be ball position, then lie and club length. Start with your ball position, 90% of the time its that. Start with it in the middle of your stance and move it up slowly, half a ball at a time. Lots of people hit too down on a hybrid like its a 7 iron but its better to treat it like a chunky 5 iron in ball position. Lots of tour van hybrids are flatter for a reason as the off the rack are a tad more upright. If you have the opportunity to go somewhere with a flightscope/trackman to see your launch #s and spin it will solve the issue when you move the ball around in your stance. Most importantly, let the club do the work, trying to get more out of hybrids leads to as you mentioned the left shots or blocks. The Ventus HB is a great hybrid shaft with a quiet tip so something is a miss elsewhere if youre loading the driver and 3 wood properly enough to square the face consistently.

I had a chance to test a little, but the range was down and only had a few balls. but did move it  up a bit and that seemed to help.  I'll work on it, should have thought about that before.

2 hours ago, dbdors said:

I had a chance to test a little, but the range was down and only had a few balls. but did move it  up a bit and that seemed to help.  I'll work on it, should have thought about that before.

It happens to everybody all the time thats why alignment sticks are always in my bag because a couple of balls too up or back in the stance change all the dynamics. From there you might see if its possibly equipment related as well. Some hybrid models are set 2* closed with draw bias some of the tour offerings 1.5*open...

On 6/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, dbdors said:

You can see from my Sig that I have two PXG 0371 X Proto 3 & 4 hybrids with Ventus Blue 7S shafts.  Everybody complains about hitting their hybrids left.  But these two are right, straight right, not slice or strong fade, straight push right.

No issue with hitting driver or 3 wood straight right.  Is it me or could it be the shafts.

Best guess, the actual length of your 3 & 4 hybrids and stiffness of Ventus Blue 7S tip, soft butt has you pushing them right.  Check the head weight bias. 

I have the Ventus TR Blue in driver.  Tip is ultra-stiff with slightly soft handle.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Best guess, the actual length of your 3 & 4 hybrids and stiffness of Ventus Blue 7S tip, soft butt has you pushing them right.  Check the head weight bias. 

I have the Ventus TR Blue in driver.  Tip is ultra-stiff with slightly soft handle.

I have never heard the term "head weight bias".  What does that mean?  Is it ratio of head weight to total weight, or head weight to shaft weight?

I wasn't clear.  The head design & its weight, combined with your SS and Blue profile, "may" contribute to the Push problem.

Your PXG hybrids have 3 weight ports for adjustments.  They may be stock but not necessarily fitting for all users.  Adjusting weight may fit better with your SS and Blue tip.  Just a suggestion that may or may not help things.

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I wasn't clear.  The head design & its weight, combined with your SS and Blue profile, "may" contribute to the Push problem.

Your PXG hybrids have 3 weight ports for adjustments.  They may be stock but not necessarily fitting for all users.  Adjusting weight may fit better with your SS and Blue tip.  Just a suggestion that may or may not help things.

Okay, thank you, understood.  I see that they both have 2.5 g on each end and 15g in the middle.

1 minute ago, dbdors said:

Okay, thank you, understood.  I see that they both have 2.5 g on each end and 15g in the middle.

That doesn't mean that poor mechanics don't play a role.  I just didn't address that piece. 

I'd fiddle with end weights.  I seldom push one right but it happens.  My common error is losing it left, but both are the result of poor mechanics, not equipment.

Good luck

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

On 6/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Moving the 15g weight to the heal seems to help with closing the face.  I adjusted loft and ball placement, completely forgot about those weights.  I guess I never really thought that the weight would make much difference in my swing.  I have moved the weight on my TM M5 3W, but never notice much change.

• Like 1