Makefield putters may be on to something!

I am very interested in purchasing a Makefield putter, a brand I first heard of on this forum. I inquired about a fitting on their website and was referred to one of their fitters based on the proximity to where I live. The fitter closest to me was around 40 miles away. I called the fitter to get some information and was told he uses a system called Quintic. During the fitting this system will analyze my stroke and show the exact spin I put on the ball as it is coming off the specially milled club face. The fitter then uses this data and fine tunes the weight distribution within the head of the putter via the three ports that contain weights made of Tungsten, Stainless steal, and Aluminum. Through these ports, the fitter can redistribute the weights to change the center  of gravity and moment of inertia to compensate for any sidespin my putting stroke produces as shown by the super slow motion video the Quintic system provides.  Obviously putter length and lie angle will be evaluated as part of the fitting.  I'm sure more fitters will be available as this company builds up its infrastructure. I am hopeful to go through this fitting  soon and will write a follow-up. 

Edited by wings02
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, wings02 said:

I am very interested in purchasing a Makefield putter, a brand I first heard of on this forum. I inquired about a fitting on their website and was referred to one of their fitters based on the proximity to where I live. The fitter closest to me was around 40 miles away. I called the fitter to get some information and was told he uses a system called Quintic. During the fitting this system will analyze my stroke and show the exact spin I put on the ball as it is coming off the specially milled club face. The fitter then uses this data and fine tunes the weight distribution within the head of the putter via the three ports that contain weights made of Tungsten, Stainless steal, and Aluminum. Through these ports, the fitter can redistribute the weights to change the center  of gravity and moment of inertia to compensate for any sidespin my putting stroke produces as shown by the super slow motion video the Quintic system provides.  Obviously putter length and lie angle will be evaluated as part of the fitting.  I'm sure more fitters will be available as this company builds up its infrastructure. I am hopeful to go through this fitting  soon and will write a follow-up. 

I just received my Makefield TF a day ago....It seems my stroke is less wobbly. I told the rep I push my putts to the right so he put the heavy tungsten on the heel...Love everything about it but the feel is weird--like vinyl making contact with the ball...

Edited by Jeffinplano
  • Thanks 1

These guys are only about 15 minutes from where I live. I was initially very intrigued and would love to support a local company but I can't get past how the putters look. Very unappealing to me.

But I'm a blade guy so unless they work some voodoo and fit their tech into at least a mid mallet, I'm not sure I'll ever look for one. That said I hope they blow up. Would love to have a local golf company like them take off.

Edited by jls667
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, jls667 said:

These guys are only about 15 minutes from where I live. I was initially very intrigued and would love to support a local company but I can't get past how the putters look. Very unappealing to me.

But I'm a blade guy so unless they work some voodoo and fit their tech into at least a mid mallet, I'm not sure I'll ever look for one. That said I hope they blow up. Would love to have a local golf company like them take off.

Look at their 2 new putters introduced; it's traditional mallet shape...I couldn't stomach the 1st design...looked like a bunch of fangs

The V-S is roughly the size of a TM Spider and it is a super putter. Looks totally fine to me. I got on to these when I saw Braden Shattuck win the PGA Professionals Championship with the Makefield V-S. Started looking into them, did an online fitting (my specs really don’t change) and considered several mallets but kept coming back to the tech in these.

I’ve now got two rounds in with the V-S and it has been excellent. Stability is noticeable but other features also stand out. I like the radial face and the way the putter sits very square and does not want to open. You sit it behind the ball and it does not flop open. Noticed already that off-center mishits still get to the hole. The feel is lively, nice energy and roll of the ball. Putts come off the face and get rolling immediately. Speed control is a big plus. 

I was worried it would be too big but it is comparable to a Spider, Ping Fetch, etc. However the Makefield looks compact heel to toe, which I prefer. I don’t like a long looking face. I’ve got the heavy tungsten weights set forward in all three ports right now. I’ve putted very well with it, have missed only one putt inside 5 feet and have made three from outside 15 feet. Short putts are very easy — it’s easy to get putts rolling on my start line. I’ve heard the feel of the V-S is the best of the bunch. It is the only Makefield I’ve tried but I’d peg the feel as similar to a Ping Heppler or Bobby Graces “Tour” insert in having kind of a lively firmness. The V-S is a milled aluminum head if you are familiar with that feel. Aluminum feels “crisper” to me vs steel, not better or worse but crisper.  In terms of the engineering  I am impressed as it shows up in performance. 

I also like that Makefield does not bend shafts for custom lie angles on putters already built. Instead they bend a new shaft to the custom lie angle first and then install it in the head. Every putter shaft is done individually for the buyer. The length, lie and loft on mine were perfect. So far, so good. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Since it is a challenge to see these in person, for those wondering about the dimensions of the V-S, here it is next to a 2021 Ping Fetch, which I would categorize as a mid-sized mallet. Very similar in size. The middle wing of the V-S is slightly deeper. Width is almost the same as the Ping tapers in at the face but is wide in the middle. 

Makefield on the right and top:

BE06424A-405C-48E6-91BC-B7DD13E906DF.jpeg.6954c64868cb3496f5d6e2d8063325a0.jpeg1ADD9D35-7537-442A-A798-7985FC2419A9.jpeg.b1ecaaf33d6d891e36c2c3fdd68c346a.jpeg

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 7:13 PM, pelotonjon said:

They’re teasing a new model on instagram.

I have been enjoying the VS.

They unveiled it today.  Half moon model smaller size with lots of adjustable weighting options. 

I am still gaming the OG VS double bend, Garson Quad Tour non tapered grip, stock weight configuration.  All dialed having the best rounds of the year. 

Might try a slant neck model with LA shaft next

• 5 months later...

I visited Makefield’s Bensalem fitting studio and plant last week for a fitting.  The new VS-F (Fang style) caught my eye as they can build to a very upright 79 degree lie angle.

Everything about the visit was outstanding from testing various shafts (double bend, center shaft, slant neck) on their Quintec.  The goal was to take away my primary miss (short right)….I am a righty.

The ability to have a slight heel weight bias gives some added assurance of squaring the face at impact.  The lift at 1.8 degrees and CG in line with a golf ball equator feels different than other putters.

I love the “nodules” on the face, reminds me of the old Pixl insert on Ping and Edel from years ago.  This helps getting the ball rolling quicker and really helped 

me get the initial session with the putter to the hole easily.  I find the face a touch hotter than groove putters, which I like as someone who dead weights most putts.

I rolled over 200 putts when received and am thrilled.  Distance is spot on with the custom 365g weight and the face squares easily.

Great job by Michael and the Makefield team.  They have a great product and the new VS-F series is a great addition to a strong line of mallets.

• Like 1