Maui must play that’s not Plantation course

southpaw72

Well my dreams of another round at the plantation course were destroyed when I realized the greens are being aerated the day we land.

I know I’ll have time for two rounds but this is our honeymoon so I won’t push it. The only requirements for me playing is that the course is “pretty”. She’s as sad we can’t go back to the plantation course as I am lol. 

If you had two rounds would it be the Bay course and Wailea Emerald? 

Puttnforthe8 is spot on.....King over Bay, Bay is so lackluster minus two holes. Plus the views are still amazing, but different from Emerald. 

If you want the course of your lifetime and your itinerary isn't set in stone, you can ferry over to Lanai to play Manele. Although, that will cost you ALOT because you now have to stay at the Four Seasons to play there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ESOX ZO said:

Puttnforthe8 is spot on.....King over Bay, Bay is so lackluster minus two holes. Plus the views are still amazing, but different from Emerald. 

If you want the course of your lifetime and your itinerary isn't set in stone, you can ferry over to Lanai to play Manele. Although, that will cost you ALOT because you now have to stay at the Four Seasons to play there. 

Do you know if you have to stay at the Lanai location to play Manele or can you stay at the Maui location and they can help get you on? 

1 hour ago, ESOX ZO said:

King it is. Now emerald>bay course? I’m infatuated with the plantation course but haven’t played the bay so I’m trying to not let my fondness for kapalua impact a decision. I’ll casually bring up a third round and see how receptive she is lol. 

44 minutes ago, cmckay said:

Do you know if you have to stay at the Lanai location to play Manele or can you stay at the Maui location and they can help get you on? 

That's a good question, I believe you have to stay at the Lanai location, but I never looked into staying at the Maui location. I have heard from multiple people that the Four Seasons Maui is a big letdown and a bit outdated. FS Lanai is just next level so we stayed there to check out a lot beyond just the golf. Played Manele twice and my god it's just perfection and the best course conditions I may ever see plus had the whole course to ourselves.  If you are thinking about it lemme know. I've got tons of pictures/videos of it too. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

King it is. Now emerald>bay course? I’m infatuated with the plantation course but haven’t played the bay so I’m trying to not let my fondness for kapalua impact a decision. I’ll casually bring up a third round and see how receptive she is lol. 

Emerald hands down. I get the Kapalua appeal, but for the price the Bay course is just so lackluster. The views are 100% in Emerald, where are you staying though?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ESOX ZO said:

Emerald hands down. I get the Kapalua appeal, but for the price the Bay course is just so lackluster. The views are 100% in Emerald, where are you staying though?

Basically between napili and kapalua so a little ways from wailea but made that drive last trip and it wasn’t bad. Might try an afternoon at wailea I’m partial to being first on the tee sheet though. 

7 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

Basically between napili and kapalua so a little ways from wailea but made that drive last trip and it wasn’t bad. Might try an afternoon at wailea I’m partial to being first on the tee sheet though. 

I hear you, the price drop for the early afternoon tee times were enticing. Regardless of what time you go, Maui Brewing Company up the road is a great time. 

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread with a similar dilemma. I'm going to be visiting Maui & the Big Island in September for my honeymoon. Hawaii is where my fiance wants to spend our honeymoon. Fortunately for me, she picked one of Kapalua's resorts for our lodging and is on board with me playing the Plantation course. 

The 2024 Golf Rates were just released in addition to the aeration schedule. As of now, the Plantation course is scheduled for aeration September 3-6, 2024. Originally, I was looking at playing the Plantation course 18 days later on September 24th.

I can't speak from experience since never played golf in Hawaii; however, 2-3 weeks is usually sufficient for the greens to recover where I am from. Alternatively, I could try to reorganize some of our other plans to push the round as late as possible to September 26th - 20 days after aeration.  Any thoughts are welcome!

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

On 12/18/2023 at 7:29 AM, Pure716 said:

Resurrecting this thread with a similar dilemma. I'm going to be visiting Maui & the Big Island in September for my honeymoon. Hawaii is where my fiance wants to spend our honeymoon. Fortunately for me, she picked one of Kapalua's resorts for our lodging and is on board with me playing the Plantation course. 

The 2024 Golf Rates were just released in addition to the aeration schedule. As of now, the Plantation course is scheduled for aeration September 3-6, 2024. Originally, I was looking at playing the Plantation course 18 days later on September 24th.

I can't speak from experience since never played golf in Hawaii; however, 2-3 weeks is usually sufficient for the greens to recover where I am from. Alternatively, I could try to reorganize some of our other plans to push the round as late as possible to September 26th - 20 days after aeration.  Any thoughts are welcome!

I think you’ll be fine. Bermuda rebounds quite nicely. On the other hand no matter how close to reopen you play I promise youll regret not playing it. It’s that good. But greens that big would not be fun if they played quite bumpy but I really don’t think you’ll have any issue at all. 

My Maui ranking is 

Kapalua plantation. Out of this world experience and nothing has come close to it for me. My favorite place on earth. Worth every penny and then some more.

King K ( private but easy to get on) I recommend this course it’s a nice challenge with the wind in the afternoon but also enjoyable and you’ll have the place to yourself. 

Wailea Emerald. Pristine resort type golf. Not a blade of grass out of place and won’t punch you in the face. 

Bonus suggestion for easy enjoyable round. Maui Nui. Fun local course. Some greens had issues last visit and the back nine had lots of hand watering going on but overall for the money was a good round and more of a relaxed local feel. 

I have yet to get on the bay course but that’s on my list. 

• Like 1

I've been going to Maui since early 80s, 1–3 times a year and was just there a few months back.  Played every course too many times to count. 

My ranking:

#1 Plantation

#2 King K

#3 Makena pvt

#4 Wailea Gold

#5 Dunes Maui Lani - where the Maui Invitational is played. 

#6 Wailea Emerald

#7 Kapalua Bay

#8 Wailea Blue - if you want a wide open driver course.

Best for the $$ Maui Nui GC

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 12/18/2023 at 7:29 AM, Pure716 said:

you'll be good for sure, it's a must play whether its 4 or 24 days after aeration. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for setting my mind at ease. I also appreciate everyone's rankings which consistently have the Plantation Course at the top. Not to derail this thread further but I am only playing one round on Maui.

Our first stop is the Big Island where I am going to play Mauna Lani South and then Mauna Kea.  From what I've read on here, Mauna Kea is rather challenging so I felt it was best to warm up for the Plantation Course in that order.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

35 minutes ago, Pure716 said:

Thank you all for setting my mind at ease. I also appreciate everyone's rankings which consistently have the Plantation Course at the top. Not to derail this thread further but I am only playing one round on Maui.

Our first stop is the Big Island where I am going to play Mauna Lani South and then Mauna Kea.  From what I've read on here, Mauna Kea is rather challenging so I felt it was best to warm up for the Plantation Course in that order.

You’re on the right track picking plantation for Maui then. Get the lobster Benedict after your round too at the plantation house!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What are the 3 courses on the south side of the island that I should try and play at the end of Feb? I've played most of the west side courses including Bay and Plantation, so this trip will be to explore more of the south courses.

I was thinking Emerald, Gold and King K?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

On 2/3/2024 at 5:25 PM, npham said:

What are the 3 courses on the south side of the island that I should try and play at the end of Feb? I've played most of the west side courses including Bay and Plantation, so this trip will be to explore more of the south courses.

I was thinking Emerald, Gold and King K?

I like that plan. I skipped gold but I preferred king k over emerald. 

Don’t get me wrong emerald didn’t have a blade of grass out of place and was a beautiful course. But from the pure golf side of things King K has me wanting to go back again and again. The wind, small greens, nuance, etc. really like that course. And It doesn’t get much traffic. You’ll likely have the place to yourself in the afternoon. 

• 1 month later...