2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ben Hogan Post Accident Swing

mizuno67

Your going to get responses like "That depends on your definition of over the top". So you might want to just define it right now and make this a short simple thread :)

i don't think i need to define it i believe the guys out there know what i mean and i would like the opinions on exactly how he made this happen

That's a pretty convenient point of view. Without defining terms, seems to me like you just want to cause a little trouble rather than have an honest discussion.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK 'slice' and all. You guys are the pros. I am not Hogan , by any stretch, but I have had some real success by learning that motion shown. May be a shorter total swing now, but it still works for me. I enjoy all the serious discussions I read on here.

TY Slice', and all :)

Your MOST welcome Tee.........and, BTW, the exact footage you posted was the START of my own "turn around" with my own golf swing........ :partytime2:

And Heck.......here's your answer........

IMOP........"It's something to do with the "connection" of the upper left side working the butt of the club "low and left" towards his LEFT hip socket through impact........ta' do this you MUST not get "underneath" or your dead IF you have the kind of lag/leverage that Mr. Hogan had in his swing.........IF you get "underneath" the arms/butt of the club will be working too much "down the line and up" rather than more "level and around" and you'll be "BLOCKED OUT" and be forced to hang back, slow and slap to square the face which is THE recipe for a good player to SNAP IT/"left to left wrist rockets".......in fact, the KEY to "releasing LAG" is this.........the core is rotating LEFT/"AROUND" the left pivot point and the upper left arm, really both arms from the elbows up, are PULLED tight against the chest and this forces the butt to work "low and left" which released the leverage at the last possible second WITHOUT any manipulation of the clubhead being necessary"......as the BUTT works left the clubhead goes from an open (parallel to the plane) to square to RELEASED in a flash with NO manipulation of the hands/arms being required"......... :partytime2:

Thanks for the info that is pretty much what I have found out too. To do this though dont you feel you need to throw overhand with the right arm from the top so the club doesn't drop inside. If the right elbow drops from the top your dead its to far inside. He found the throwing motion with the right arm then he could turn everything hard and left and the ball wouldn't hook.

OK 'slice' and all. You guys are the pros. I am not Hogan , by any stretch, but I have had some real success by learning that motion shown. May be a shorter total swing now, but it still works for me. I enjoy all the serious discussions I read on here.

Your MOST welcome Tee.........and, BTW, the exact footage you posted was the START of my own "turn around" with my own golf swing........ :partytime2:

IMOP........"It's something to do with the "connection" of the upper left side working the butt of the club "low and left" towards his LEFT hip socket through impact........ta' do this you MUST not get "underneath" or your dead IF you have the kind of lag/leverage that Mr. Hogan had in his swing.........IF you get "underneath" the arms/butt of the club will be working too much "down the line and up" rather than more "level and around" and you'll be "BLOCKED OUT" and be forced to hang back, slow and slap to square the face which is THE recipe for a good player to SNAP IT/"left to left wrist rockets".......in fact, the KEY to "releasing LAG" is this.........the core is rotating LEFT/"AROUND" the left pivot point and the upper left arm, really both arms from the elbows up, are PULLED tight against the chest and this forces the butt to work "low and left" which released the leverage at the last possible second WITHOUT any manipulation of the clubhead being necessary"......as the BUTT works left the clubhead goes from an open (parallel to the plane) to square to RELEASED in a flash with NO manipulation of the hands/arms being required"......... :partytime2:

Thanks for the info that is pretty much what I have found out too. To do this though dont you feel you need to throw overhand with the right arm from the top so the club doesn't drop inside. If the right elbow drops from the top your dead its to far inside. He found the throwing motion with the right arm then he could turn everything hard and left and the ball wouldn't hook.

But, that's just it........he didn't have a right arm "throwover" from the top........I've got a LOT of footage to prove it too (he also wasn't "driving his right knee at the ball" or "CG shifting all over the place" etc.)......quite a few here have seen it.......THAT'S where Hardy IS wrong and why Quinney's swing is NOTHING like Mr. Hogan's....... :D BTW, I think Hardy's stuff is pretty good and Quinney has a nice swing, but, Quinney is a great example of somebody TRYING to "contrive" a swing similar to Mr. Hogan's WITHOUT knowing the "essence" regarding what is involved with Mr. Hogan's golf swing........IMOP....:D I've got several kid's who are a helluva' LOT closer to Mr. Hogan than ANY of Hardy's guy's and the kicker is they have NO idea that they are, in anyway, similar to Mr. Hogan.....ONE is as close to a replica as I think is humanly possible while still maintaining one's "individuality".......you teach the right stuff and the end product will have a lot of "Hogan in it" without looking or being "contrived"........again, IMOP.......:D

But, that's just it........he didn't have a right arm throwing motion from the top........I've got a LOT of footage to prove it too........quite a few here have seen it.......THAT'S where Hardy IS wrong and why Quinney's swing is NOTHING like Mr. Hogan's....... :D

Yeah don't get me started on Quinney. Haha. If I am looking at a modern Hogan, I am looking at Chad Campbell, and Trevor Immelman. These have got to be the closest out there now and my two favorites. Quinney has the club across the line at the top and then loops the club head back and flatens out the shaft plane I never saw Mr. Hogan do that.

Your going to get responses like "That depends on your definition of over the top". So you might want to just define it right now and make this a short simple thread :)

i don't think i need to define it i believe the guys out there know what i mean and i would like the opinions on exactly how he made this happen

That's a pretty convenient point of view. Without defining terms, seems to me like you just want to cause a little trouble rather than have an honest discussion.

Oh hell "larry," we've already had the discussion regarding the definition of "over the top" awhile back and it went all over the place.......hehehe...... :partytime2: :partytime2: Congrats again to your Bro.....tremendous honor!

But, that's just it........he didn't have a right arm throwing motion from the top........I've got a LOT of footage to prove it too........quite a few here have seen it.......THAT'S where Hardy IS wrong and why Quinney's swing is NOTHING like Mr. Hogan's....... :D

Yeah don't get me started on Quinney. Haha. If I am looking at a modern Hogan, I am looking at Chad Campbell, and Trevor Immelman. These have got to be the closest out there now and my two favorites. Quinney has the club across the line at the top and then loops the club head back and flatens out the shaft plane I never saw Mr. Hogan do that.

NOW your talkin' my friend........those two, Byrd, and the lil' guy from Austraila all have a LOT of "Hogan in em' "........:D In fact, you could remove a part or two from each of em' and then you'd have a true copy of Mr. Hogan's golf swing.......IMOP.....:D

When you do look at Mr. Hogan he doesn't throw with the right arm but he doest pull down either. I think Hardy is talking about a feeling when it comes to the throwing comments because if I make a CORRECT one plane back swing like Mr. Hogan the right elbow should not pull down. Actually Mr. Hogans arms and club are still going back when his shoulders and chest start to turn from the top. This would not let the club drop to far to the inside. The only thing that you then have to do from here then is keep your spine angle and your upper left arm tight to your chest till just after impact. If you do this the club should move low and left around your body towards your front left pocket. There is no manipulation of the club....IMOP..... :)

When you do look at Mr. Hogan he doesn't throw with the right arm but he doest pull down either. I think Hardy is talking about a feeling when it comes to the throwing comments because if I make a CORRECT one plane back swing like Mr. Hogan the right elbow should not pull down. Actually Mr. Hogans arms and club are still going back when his shoulders and chest start to turn from the top. This would not let the club drop to far to the inside. The only thing that you then have to do from here then is keep your spine angle and your upper left arm tight to your chest till just after impact. If you do this the club should move low and left around your body towards your front left pocket. There is no manipulation of the club....IMOP..... :)

He doesn't do squat with the arms.......from the top they REACT and are "along for the ride".....:partytime2:

He doesn't do squat with the arms.......from the top they REACT and are "along for the ride"..... :partytime2:

Yes that is what I was trying to say sorry if I made it to long. He just turns with the shoulders and chest. I was just trying to say what his arms did in reaction to his body.

Hell, NO need to apologize as you stated it well..........I just shortened it up a bit which is RARE for me........hehehehe

Well if I am ever in Texas I will have to have you take a look at my swing for me. I think I would have done Mr. Hogan pround it's pretty similar.

Come on my friend! Juss' wait till this damned flu/puke season is over with.......I'm home AGAIN today with my 10 year old....again....been a brutal winter on all of us! :)

A lot of one plane swingers look (and feel also !) as they are a bit OTT in the downswing. It's a characteristics of a in-to-in rotary swings.

Anyhow, they (and especially Mr.Hogan) was perfectly on plane during the DS though. Compare the DTL views of Hogan and a out-to-in OTTer and you will see the difference immediately. Watch where the shaft "cuts" the right arm at 9 o'clock during the DS.

Cheers

i know what your saying and im not comparing him to a out-to-in OTTer the part of his swing that always intrigued me is as he is getting to the top his hands and arms get from being under the shoulder plane to right on it as he makes his transition What really makes this happen??????

Mizuno, I cannot see any such a move you describe in Hogans swing. What is important is to deliver the plane to the position it covers his right forearm from 9 o'clock position. A classic OTTer would never be able to cover his forearm with his downswing plane.

No overhand. Set up into you golf posture then take your right arm to the top of your back swing. From there make a overhand motion like you are throwing a ball at the ball on the ground. I promise it works go get the Plane Truth books they are wonderful and this is exactly what it explains. I also took lessons off of a Hardy protege and he taught the same thing. This move is only if you are a one plane swinger though.

Bheck, as a OP devotee, I am afraid you have just described Jim Hardy's "twist and throw" move that surely works in many cases, however, it was not present in Mr.Hogan's swing in this version. Hogan never made any overhand motion at the transition. The overhand motion was done relatively late, more or less when his club was parallel to the ground.

The main purpose of the "twist" part in a OP swing is to deliver the clubface to the perpendicular-to-the-arc position as well as helps in a proper impact position with the rear elbow behind the rear hip. Hogan delivered his clubface square releatively late and his right elbow moves much less in the whole swing comparing to Hardy's theory. The principle is the same but the best ballstriker of all times was in a position to do it a bit later than Jim wants everyone else to do. It enabled him to kill two birds with one shot - to create and maintain enormous lag as well as still to have time to square the clubface to the arc not too late.

I am a devotee of one plane theory, but, sorry, I am a bigger devotee of Mr.Hogan's golf genius and I simply can't take blindly what OP swing theory says in relation to ordinary pros and amateurs when analyzing Hogan's swing motion.

Cheers

Dariusz NOTHING personnel but this swing info will send your swing into a crap shoot.

YIKES!!!!!

The main purpose of the "twist" part in a OP swing is to deliver the clubface to the perpendicular-to-the-arc position as well as helps in a proper impact position with the rear elbow behind the rear hip. Hogan delivered his clubface

I truely would not advise this at all!! That elbow can NOT get caught...

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Got a copy of his PRE "Secret" golf swing last week.......in slo motion.......hehehe........probably only 5 or 6 on the planet have it........and I ain't gonna' post it or give it away as I gave my word I wouldn't.......but, I will say this, it CONFIRMED what I'd thought all along about his golf swing.......more "around" and less "under" POST "secret"....... :)

I envy you, SF :partytime2: What year is the video of ?

Dariusz NOTHING personnel but this swing info will send your swing into a crap shoot.

YIKES!!!!!

The main purpose of the "twist" part in a OP swing is to deliver the clubface to the perpendicular-to-the-arc position as well as helps in a proper impact position with the rear elbow behind the rear hip. Hogan delivered his clubface

I truely would not advise this at all!! That elbow can NOT get caught...

Nothing personal, too, Scores, but this info WILL NOT send the swing into a crap shot by any means if it is executed properly. Mind you, this is a move in a OP swing only. This is the famous "watch down" move from the episod in GC when Mike LaBauve was there with his pupil, a deep 2-plane convert, Jeff Quinney (who, BTW, had problems with grasping this concept, and apparently, he still struggles with it watching his actual swing...:)

Cheers

A lot of one plane swingers look (and feel also !) as they are a bit OTT in the downswing. It's a characteristics of a in-to-in rotary swings.

Anyhow, they (and especially Mr.Hogan) was perfectly on plane during the DS though. Compare the DTL views of Hogan and a out-to-in OTTer and you will see the difference immediately. Watch where the shaft "cuts" the right arm at 9 o'clock during the DS.

Cheers

i know what your saying and im not comparing him to a out-to-in OTTer the part of his swing that always intrigued me is as he is getting to the top his hands and arms get from being under the shoulder plane to right on it as he makes his transition What really makes this happen??????

Mizuno, I cannot see any such a move you describe in Hogans swing. What is important is to deliver the plane to the position it covers his right forearm from 9 o'clock position. A classic OTTer would never be able to cover his forearm with his downswing plane.

No overhand. Set up into you golf posture then take your right arm to the top of your back swing. From there make a overhand motion like you are throwing a ball at the ball on the ground. I promise it works go get the Plane Truth books they are wonderful and this is exactly what it explains. I also took lessons off of a Hardy protege and he taught the same thing. This move is only if you are a one plane swinger though.

Bheck, as a OP devotee, I am afraid you have just described Jim Hardy's "twist and throw" move that surely works in many cases, however, it was not present in Mr.Hogan's swing in this version. Hogan never made any overhand motion at the transition. The overhand motion was done relatively late, more or less when his club was parallel to the ground.

The main purpose of the "twist" part in a OP swing is to deliver the clubface to the perpendicular-to-the-arc position as well as helps in a proper impact position with the rear elbow behind the rear hip. Hogan delivered his clubface square releatively late and his right elbow moves much less in the whole swing comparing to Hardy's theory. The principle is the same but the best ballstriker of all times was in a position to do it a bit later than Jim wants everyone else to do. It enabled him to kill two birds with one shot - to create and maintain enormous lag as well as still to have time to square the clubface to the arc not too late.

I am a devotee of one plane theory, but, sorry, I am a bigger devotee of Mr.Hogan's golf genius and I simply can't take blindly what OP swing theory says in relation to ordinary pros and amateurs when analyzing Hogan's swing motion.

Cheers

Well as for the twist and throw that you are talking about. I beleive Hardy is talking about a feeling here more than an actual move. No one really throws the club at the top he is just trying to help seperate aspects of OP and TP. You dont want to pull your right elbow down in the OP it gets the club to flat and to the inside causing a hook. Hogan didnt twist and throw from the top he twisted. From the top he turned his chest and shoulders back to the ball before the club stopped moving back. When he did this the club could not drop to far to the inside causing a hook. There is always a difference in opinions even among us ordinary pros!!!

The Hogan swing plane sure stirs up a lot of comments. I always like to go back to the films of him swinging the club as well as the photos to see what he actually did throughout his career.

The best compilation of Mr. Hogan's swing over the years is in the 'Ben Hogan Collection' 3 DVD set. I don't want to sound commercial here but it grieves me that so many players and Hogan admirers have not acquired the set. Its highly valued by those that own it per their emails and nice letters.

One plane or two plane? There is one plane on the backswing and one plane on the downswing, they are different planes. Watch the films.

T.

Well as for the twist and throw that you are talking about. I beleive Hardy is talking about a feeling here more than an actual move. No one really throws the club at the top he is just trying to help seperate aspects of OP and TP. You dont want to pull your right elbow down in the OP it gets the club to flat and to the inside causing a hook. Hogan didnt twist and throw from the top he twisted. From the top he turned his chest and shoulders back to the ball before the club stopped moving back. When he did this the club could not drop to far to the inside causing a hook. There is always a difference in opinions even among us ordinary pros!!!

First, I am not an ordinary pro...I am an ordinary amateur :) Maybe in the future, when my son won't need my help any more, I'll become a first pro in our poor country who will spread words of true golf wisdom...;

But, you are right, it's much more educative if all of us, Hogan fans, can see things that are unseen by others - it's a really very educative thing.

As regards your post - I presume you have not watched the LaBauve/Quinney episode...FYI, the "twist" move is a real deliberate move that can be described the following way: go to the top of backswing having your watch on your left wrist; then, turn your forearms down (your watch will "look" down) and execute your downswing with a right hand throw around and to the left (inside) while turning your whole body open.

Hogan did not make this move which can be easily observed watching his slo-mo vids. Au contre, I swear I can see that his left wrist goes a bit the other way during transition, such as he wanted to show his watch face to someone tall staying behind him, making his clubface plane a tad flatter. Yes, he did the turning of forearms move later in the DS, though...

I also can't agree that he activated his right arm at the top - I agree with SliceFixer, that he was pulling with his left side all the way during downswing. The first action of right arm/hand happened in mid-downswing when he brought the clubface perpendicular to the arc - his right hand started to be in a palm-down position.

Just my 3 eurocents, cheers.

One plane or two plane? There is one plane on the backswing and one plane on the downswing, they are different planes. Watch the films.

T.

McTee, for your information - the "one plane" notion is of Jim Hardy theory. It does not say that there is one, single plane throught the entire swing (that is not biomechanically possible in a full swing). It does say, among others, that the arms are on the same plane as shoulders at the top - this is why it is "one plane". It happens, that Mr.Hogan was a pure one planer in Hardy's terms.

Cheers

I have a quick question, sorry if it doesn't contribute to the topic, but in Slice's method - how would one maintain their spine angle? I understand it has to be a setup thing. I believe this is one of the things that is preventing me from being consistent - when I rotate/clear I seem to lift up my spine. Would it help at setup to lift my chest (like a soldier in line), and then rear end sticks out?

I have a quick question, sorry if it doesn't contribute to the topic, but in Slice's method - how would one maintain their spine angle? I understand it has to be a setup thing. I believe this is one of the things that is preventing me from being consistent - when I rotate/clear I seem to lift up my spine. Would it help at setup to lift my chest (like a soldier in line), and then rear end sticks out?

It sounds like your either NOT "clearing/pulling/rotating" the left side and/or losing the "levers".......both of the right wrist and the right arm......let the left side "clear"/PULL and "hold the angle/set of the right wrist"......that's one of the main things I stress within the 9 to 3 drill........do it till you can compress all hell from it...........when you turn loose physics IT will release the right wrist as a REACTION to the PIVOT/physics......:)

To me that sounds like you are talking about getting into an S posture. I dont think this is what you want to get in. Where the chest and rear stick out while the lower back makes a reverse C. The one thing it may sound like to me is that you may be making a two plane back swing and with your downswing being to steep you come up and out of your spine angle.

Thanks Slice and bheck.

I believe physics is the key here, or letting it go. Thinking of maintaining the wrist angle seems to have tensed up my swing (pressure points so to speak) and when I tried swinging a couple of minutes ago by 'feeling' the wrist angle, my posture and spine felt more in place.

Granted, this will be something to tinker with as I haven't hit a ball yet - driving range weekend most likely.

Thanks again :)

well Larrybud it was well enough defined in post 15 and previously by Slice so if you have no exact opinion on how Ben Hogan made this move in his swing then your dig at me comes across as childish . id rather see you post your view on this move he makes and make no mistake he does make the move described i have so much footage of hogan incl dvd collection masters footage hogan v snead etc

So far the responses have been great and personally i would like the TGM guys to put their view forward

There is no trouble intended just want people's opinion cause i might learn something maybe even from you

Easy.......if you "clear" aggressively left in transition your shoulders are rotating more "level" and the arms will tend to work "over"....IF you "drive" laterally more in the transition then your right shoulder will tend to work more "under" which shallows the arms BEFORE they go "left"/"around"......as a general rule anyway..... :) ........

Slice i have a feeling that your idea of the Centre of the swing being between the shoulders is critical for the shoulders to rotate more "level" in the downswing

Easy.......if you "clear" aggressively left in transition your shoulders are rotating more "level" and the arms will tend to work "over"....IF you "drive" laterally more in the transition then your right shoulder will tend to work more "under" which shallows the arms BEFORE they go "left"/"around"......as a general rule anyway..... :) ........

It is very important...

Slice i have a feeling that your idea of the Centre of the swing being between the shoulders is critical for the shoulders to rotate more "level" in the downswing

It's VERY important and ONE of the reasons why I teach the setup angles that I do.........:partytime2:

Gj

Easy.......if you "clear" aggressively left in transition your shoulders are rotating more "level" and the arms will tend to work "over"....IF you "drive" laterally more in the transition then your right shoulder will tend to work more "under" which shallows the arms BEFORE they go "left"/"around"......as a general rule anyway..... :partytime2: ........

It's VERY important and ONE of the reasons why I teach the setup angles that I do......... :partytime2:

Gj

What angles are we highlighting. I am just trying to expand my mind not cause any trouble :)