2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Lag Putting with the Chipper

Hypothesis- 

Lag putting with the chipper is more accurate than using the putter in certain scenarios. 

Let's say we are facing a 25 foot uphill putt with a large amount of left to right break.  By using the chipper, the ball is in the air for half of the distance and then it skips and puts the brakes on a little bit.  By doing this we can play significantly less break in the shot, which allows us to control the speed better.  Way more tap-ins, less 3 putts.

On downhill putts it won't work because there's not enough spin to slow it down and take the break out of the putt.

Caveat-  This will only work with the higher lofted chippers or those with large offset, the Ping ChipR is too low of loft and doesn't spin enough for this approach imo.

Is this legal?  Felt kind of dirty working on it on the practice greens but it was very effective so thinking about bringing it onto the course.  For reference I'm a 5 handicap that sometimes putts amazing and sometimes has yips if it matters.

Is there a downside to this approach that I'm overlooking?

Edited by badpokerbadgolf

I disagree it’s more accurate/better.

With the chipper you’d have to worry about backspin and bounce firmness. Plus the break won’t be significantly less as a ball bounces at a rebound angle that’s more than it curves due to roll because it’s covering that ground you’re flying in the fast part of the putt.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

4 hours ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

Hypothesis- 

Lag putting with the chipper is more accurate than using the putter in certain scenarios. 

Let's say we are facing a 25 foot uphill putt with a large amount of left to right break.  By using the chipper, the ball is in the air for half of the distance and then it skips and puts the brakes on a little bit.  By doing this we can play significantly less break in the shot, which allows us to control the speed better.  Way more tap-ins, less 3 putts.

On downhill putts it won't work because there's not enough spin to slow it down and take the break out of the putt.

Caveat-  This will only work with the higher lofted chippers or those with large offset, the Ping ChipR is too low of loft and doesn't spin enough for this approach imo.

Is this legal?  Felt kind of dirty working on it on the practice greens but it was very effective so thinking about bringing it onto the course.  For reference I'm a 5 handicap that sometimes putts amazing and sometimes has yips if it matters.

Is there a downside to this approach that I'm overlooking?

Not sure it’s really significantly less break. The putt breaks the most at the end so doing this method you’d still have to play majority of break of the putt. A 25 ft putt is not that far and unless you play at Augusta does not typically break that much , think you should just work on your speed control and hit it on the correct line to begin with. 

Yes, it’s legal, if a bit unorthodox.  Of course, the grass growers will freak out if they catch you, but if you can brush the turf without doing damage, I say go for it.  A friend of mine does this very thing, because he has much better touch with a wedge than with a putter on longer putts.  Play the game that works for you, not the one you’re supposed to play.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

If you ever see me holding a chipper, I’ve been kidnapped and am signaling for help. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

8 hours ago, iacas said:

I disagree it’s more accurate/better.

With the chipper you’d have to worry about backspin and bounce firmness. Plus the break won’t be significantly less as a ball bounces at a rebound angle that’s more than it curves due to roll because it’s covering that ground you’re flying in the fast part of the putt.

I don't believe this to be true.  There is definitely less break when using the chipper.  Of course putts will break the most while they are slowing down (hopefully close to the hole), but this happens much less with the higher lofted chippers.   The reason for that is that the ball is still spinning backwards or skidding instead of rolling end over end like a putt.   The shot will take the green's break much less under those conditions.

5 hours ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

I don't believe this to be true.  There is definitely less break when using the chipper.  Of course putts will break the most while they are slowing down (hopefully close to the hole), but this happens much less with the higher lofted chippers.   The reason for that is that the ball is still spinning backwards or skidding instead of rolling end over end like a putt.   The shot will take the green's break much less under those conditions.

I made other points, too. You replied only to the "break" part. And, like I said, a ball that BOUNCES will actually deflect more than a ball that rolls over a surface.

angle-of-rebound-l.jpg

• Like 2

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

I made other points, too. You replied only to the "break" part. And, like I said, a ball that BOUNCES will actually deflect more than a ball that rolls over a surface.

angle-of-rebound-l.jpg

Interesting chart, the physics goes over my head to be honest.  What I can say is that isn't what's happening in my experience in real life golf.  Perhaps the spin of the golf ball changes the equation.

25 minutes ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

I'd only use the chipper for lag situations where it's not a putt I can hit aggressively and try to make.

You shouldn’t be “trying to make” many 40+ footers. By just trying to hit the ball the distance of the hole you’ll make some with a smaller average leave distance.

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

You shouldn’t be “trying to make” many 40+ footers. By just trying to hit the ball the distance of the hole you’ll make some with a smaller average leave distance.

It’s funny how many find the bottom of the cup when you just worry about getting the speed right. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

14 hours ago, Sean124 said:

It’s funny how many find the bottom of the cup when you just worry about getting the speed right. 

Agreed! I believe it's easier to control the distance with the chipper because of the shorter stroke required, plus the spin imparted on the ball.  

Playing less break = less variables for controlling distance.

I'm playing the shot as a short wristy pop stroke that catches the ball clean,  so there's no variance with turf interaction on the shot.

3 hours ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

less variables for controlling distance.

Backspin, bouncing, etc. = way more and much more significant variables for controlling distance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Backspin, bouncing, etc. = way more and much more significant variables for controlling distance.

Is this true?  If faced with a 50 foot shot from the edge of the fringe onto a flat putting surface, isn't almost every professional taking out the wedge in that spot?

5 minutes ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

Is this true?  If faced with a 50 foot shot from the edge of the fringe onto a flat putting surface, isn't almost every professional taking out the wedge in that spot?

No. If they have a 50-footer, with a foot of fringe to go through, they'll almost all take putter. Heck, if you're watching the British Open right now, players are taking putter with 20 feet or more fairway to go through.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. If they have a 50-footer, with a foot of fringe to go through, they'll almost all take putter. Heck, if you're watching the British Open right now, players are taking putter with 20 feet or more fairway to go through.

In super firm conditions (plus wind) this to be expected.  Now what about more normal conditions where the greens are receptive to spin?

1 hour ago, badpokerbadgolf said:

In super firm conditions (plus wind) this to be expected.  Now what about more normal conditions where the greens are receptive to spin?

From a foot off the green, with a 50 foot putt (or 49 feet of green to putt over), they're going to putt it almost 100% of the time.

It's much easier to control distance putting it than chipping it that distance.