2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

I added counterweight to my SC Metador grip

Shankapotimous

Installed new shaft on my SC x5.5 putter since I kept cutting the original one to the point where is was too short 😂

I always liked the Metador large grip, so I put it back on. I swapped the head weights to 35g from original 20g that the putter came with. I like heavier putters. 

So, I noticed something. With Metador grip, the swing felt different than with the Sweet Rollz grip I had before. I know sweet rollz grip is lot heavier, so I did little experiment. I taped the 25g weight to the butt of the grip. Wow. What a difference. That change the whole putter. It just felt like it was so much more stable. 

I went and bought 25 SuperStroke weight and just screwed it in. It actually doesn’t look bad at all and it works great! It stays solid in there. The end of the grip was thick enough for the threads to grab it. I also added some epoxy. 

I feel like I finally have a perfect putter. 

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

You can do that or anything you can shove in the shaft. I used fishing weights, 1/2” hitch pins. You don’t don’t want something rattling around. Once you start messing with the head weights and counter weights you really start to find your likes and dislikes. I’d recommend starting at the extreme of what you’ve got. Heaviest head first, then heaviest grip area and work your way to a happy medium. Mess around enough and you’ll be surprised how much difference a little weight makes. And you’ll be surprised when you can actually feel the little changes. 

• Thanks 1

I agree @BHI 99 That is exactly what I did. I naturally feel better with heavier putter head. When I showed my putter to my instructor, he threw it on the swing weight scale and it came back with F8 (I believe). I now have 40gram weights (x2) and it feels good. I mess around with it and remove the grip weight, which is 25 grams and putt around. Immediately, it doesn't feel right. Slap the grip weight back on and it automatically just feels better for me. Even replacing 40 grams in head with 35 grams feels considerably different. 

@bunta, yes, basically, I just drilled a hole in a tip of the grip. Small enough for the weight to fit and be able to screw it in to the tip. 

I since found a solution that is much better and fits better in Tour Lock Weights. They have a full system you can install on any grip and transform it basically to SuperStroke. 

Data doesn't lie. 

Went out yesterday and had a chance to run some tests with this setup during a round. So much better. It does feel like I am swinging a sledgehammer, but I like it. I am going to stick with this setup for a while and see how it progresses. On long putts, it's SOLID. 

I think I am going to buy that set from Tour Lock Weights. This way, I can just make all my grips to accept weights.

That’s kind of the nice thing with the SuperStrokes, just pop it in and out. I use a hot melt for extensions/weights and blow grips on with an air compressor. Makes it easy to tinker since nothing is permanent. There’s a balance between what’s comfortable with the overall weight and swing weight. I seem to be gravitating to around the D-5 range, which is interesting because that’s close to my SW/LW. 

One thing I haven’t done is take out my tried and true Anser 2 that I’ve used for years. It’s light at 469g C-2. Kinda scared I might like it….again. 

Some believe that putter SW doesn’t matter, but I disagree 100%. It’s still a “swing” (stroke), just a little different. Every one of those combos you see listed for that putter has at least 100 putts on it, on an actual putting green. You definitely start to develop a preference. Certainly not claiming I’m any kind of great putter, but I know what my hands are telling me. 

Heavier overall, but the SW maybe in the middle? I’m not sure what D-5 is considered in the world of putters. The last two configurations of my NP2 were pretty much the same SW, but one has a heavier head and grip. What it’s boiled down to for me is the weight at my hands seems smoother/more stable(especially on take away), but I’m able to have the same tempo and not feel like I’m fighting the heavier head. I like more of a low thud at impact than a tinny click. If that makes any sense at all. 

It’s one of the reasons I’ve fallen in love with Odyssey OG7 CH. That insert is nice. But that’s a whole different story. 

I have one of these in my putter - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P00OB14?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1. Granted, you need to install it before the grip. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

4 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Heavier overall, but the SW maybe in the middle? I’m not sure what D-5 is considered in the world of putters. The last two configurations of my NP2 were pretty much the same SW, but one has a heavier head and grip. What it’s boiled down to for me is the weight at my hands seems smoother/more stable(especially on take away), but I’m able to have the same tempo and not feel like I’m fighting the heavier head. I like more of a low thud at impact than a tinny click. If that makes any sense at all. 

It’s one of the reasons I’ve fallen in love with Odyssey OG7 CH. That insert is nice. But that’s a whole different story. 

This right here describes perfectly how it feels for me as well. I get the exactly same feeling. Removing counter weight (as it should) changes how my swing feels. It's less balanced. With weight on the grip, the whole putter feels heavier, but very balanced.

I just placed an order on some weights from the Tour Lock place. Got 15, 20, 25 and 30 to mess around with. Can't wait!

6 hours ago, BHI 99 said:

Yea there's some studies that say a higher balance point (like closer to the hands) has actually been shown to be more effective than lower. So a higher total weight combined with more of it up top makes a ton of sense for why you're having success and loving it.

1 hour ago, Shankapotimous said:

This right here describes perfectly how it feels for me as well. I get the exactly same feeling. Removing counter weight (as it should) changes how my swing feels. It's less balanced. With weight on the grip, the whole putter feels heavier, but very balanced.

I just placed an order on some weights from the Tour Lock place. Got 15, 20, 25 and 30 to mess around with. Can't wait!

I've always liked a heavier feeling head, and enjoy more overall weight. I got like every Scotty weight from 10-50 when I gamed an X11 and tried to figure out exactly what my preference was. Fun times, sounds like you're in for the same. Hope you dial it in!