2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Can you hit it straight

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this debate. Hogan was a flat swinger that duck hooked it for years. He finally learned that if he rotated his core fast enough he could hold the club face square and hit a fade.. I admire that he dug it out of the dirt and trust me he turned into a great player.

Then again so did Lee Trevino and I do not intend to teach anyone to swing like he did either.

Lol I have been playing 44 years and was probably a plus handicap at one time now I 58 play twice a week never practice and play to a 3

From what I have read Hogan loved playing the god. Yet Snead beat him three out of four times they met head to head and Byron kicked his butt way back to the caddy yard.

Not that it matters but I score well on IQ test as well, not that it impresses me.

You know, Ken, I was just about going to bed, but your above post stopped me for a while.

It is you, who started the debate. It is you, who said that what Hogan said is the most stupid thing you've heard. It is you, who change subject instead bringing rational arguments to the discussion in case you do not agree with me. It is also you, who did not admit that your statement about "stupidity" was exaggerated.

But I have got accustomed to it on all fora - apparently, it's that difficult to American great scratch golfers or pros to comprehend that a 10 HCP amateur from a golf 5th world country may sometimes write something wise. Although it is not nice, as I said, I got used to it. I can live with it :)

Good night.

P.S. Apropos your "butt kicking" comment - for some golfers, Mr. Homer Kelley was a golf genius, and he was a golf hacker. Hackers, sometimes know how to think rationally about golf...:(

I agree with darusz j. It's mathematically impossible to hit a dead staight shot, even with no wind and a flat lie. It will always curve a little one way or another. this being said, it is a part of pro strategy to always work the ball one way or another. picture this. if even the straightest of shots starts on a direct line to the pin, because the ball will move a bit one way or another, the ball will be moving away from the pin, always. now, if you start a shot 30ft right of the pin, whether it draws back 2 feet or 25 feet it will be moving toward the pin, giving it the opportunity to bounce, roll or spin in the direction of the hole and get even closer. the most effective and accurate way to hit shots is to play a curve that if anything doesn't quite make it back to the target in the air( as opposed to over curving the shot).

i hit it straight 9/10 times. but i am aligned wrong so it goes straight to the rough! my ball flight i try to draw, but can't with the driver, but can with 5 wood on down...

I highly doubt that you hit it straight 90% of the time. If that were true you’d be a lot better than a 20 handicap. :)

OUCH! Maybe he hits worm burners! Very little hook and slice in those!

again its the attempt to hit it straight I am looking for not that it goes perfectly straight

Dariusz J. Its so simple I do not see Hogan as the genius you do. I think he is a guy that worked his butt off and because of that he became a great player . Not because he made a perfect swing at the ball. I am also stating that when he made the comment that a straight shot was and accident he was full of it. If the clubface is square and the path as at the target the ball goes pretty damn straight.

I do not think my statement about stupidity is exaggerated at all, relative to why in my opinion Hogan said it. Back then most players believed you had to hit a draw or a fade to play well.

"But I have got accustomed to it on all fora - apparently, it's that difficult to American great scratch golfers or pros to comprehend that a 10 HCP amateur from a golf 5th world country may sometimes write something wise. Although it is not nice, as I said, I got used to it. I can live with it "

Boo Hoo I am not being prejudiced here , I started playing golf when I was fourteen I won my first tournament when I was 16 and was pretty much a scratch player.

I played close to scratch until I was about 50 and have won over 20 golf tournaments. I am about a three now and won two last year.

You have been playing six years and are still a ten handicap. Not bad my friend you can beat ninety percent of the world

But my point stands if you would keep it simpler you would probably a four or five.

Dont twist my words you read to much Homer Kelly's best student was Bobby Clampett and it destroyed him,

Omeara fired Haney

Tiger I believe is trying to distance himself from him now.

Golf is a simple game quit making it something else and saying I changed the subject.

hope this works

Hogan said if you hit it straight its and accident. I have been having accidents for 42 years my natural shot is straight

when I swing bad my safety valve is a draw and I can cut or fade it but its getting harder as I get older.

So whats your shot and do you consider straight and accident I consider it the dummest thing I ever heard

Ken, dead straight shots (with a perfect vertical backswing axis) are practically not existing. Clubface angle and swing path correlation while a ball lies in front of the golfer practically excludes mathematically such a possibility. We can witness almost straight shots because either wind is helping or the correlation is luckily and casually close to give a straight shots.

Thus, what your eyes perceive as a straight shot it is only an almost straight shot in reality.

What Ben Hogan said, is one of the wisest things about golf I have ever heard. Moreover, one of the most helpful things - it forces a curious reader to learn more about physical factors influencing the flight of the ball.

I think we're playing with semantics here. I mean, there's straight, then there's STRAIGHT. Technically, any ball with any kind of side spin is not a straight shot. But let's talk about reality instead of theory for a change. I would argue that a ball that is within +/- 3 yards of initial direction is pretty damn straight.

if you try to hit is straight you can have a 2 way miss which isn't good under pressure. If you work it in one direction you eliminate on of those misses and increas your margin for error

I have never ever believed that. If you set up to draw it or fade it and it does not draw or fade? I hear guys all the time wheres my hook

If I aim straight and hook or fade it a bit I am ok as long as I start it straight.

When I was a kid I played golf with a teaching pros son Is Dad taught him to always aim at the trouble. It it was out of bounds right he aimed at the out of bounds and hooked the ball away from it. Of course if it did not hook he was OB. We could not tell him his father was nuts so we just beat him like a tom tom.