Palm Beach/Port St. Lucie Golf Trip Question

pearls24

Planning a quick getaway as a foursome to FL 10/5-10/8.  We have two options and wondering everyone's opinion on which would be the one to go with.... 

Option 1- stay and play at PGA National.  Play Champions course 3 times, Fazio twice, and their new Match course once.  

Option 2- stay in Port St. Lucie and play PGA Golf Club day of arrival and 36 there on the 6th, then play Tesoro (have a connection) and Cape Club of Palm City (one of the guy's is a member at their sister course).

I think Option 2 will def cost the least but curious what everyone's thoughts are on PGA National?  Great place or over-rated?

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

nobody???

On 9/10/2023 at 8:40 AM, pearls24 said:

nobody???

My opinion would be a clear preference to Option 2 - although you'll probably want a second look at Cape Club once you've been around once. I played it before they took it back private and really enjoyed the green complexes, especially. At PGA Village I have only played the Wanamaker course which was very good, and the Dye looks great as well.

PGA National - I've played the Palmer and the Match courses. Match course is a lot of fun. Buddy's dad is a member at PGA National and said Fazio is just kind of meh. Palmer is fine, the clear second best "traditional" course. I haven't played the Championship course (walked it a few times for Honda Championship) but frankly don't prioritize it over other courses in the area given price, unless you just want to be able to play where the pros play.

The PGA National courses are all "through the neighborhood" routings which I personally can't stand. PGA Village is much more natural routings/feels like you're in nature and not in a neighborhood, if that makes sense.

Of the courses you've listed that I have played or seen, my interest level would be:

1) Cape Club

2) PGA Wanamaker

3) PGA National Champions / Palmer (tie, for different reasons)

Edited by umassgolfer

On 9/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, umassgolfer said:

My opinion would be a clear preference to Option 2 - although you'll probably want a second look at Cape Club once you've been around once. I played it before they took it back private and really enjoyed the green complexes, especially. At PGA Village I have only played the Wanamaker course which was very good, and the Dye looks great as well.

PGA National - I've played the Palmer and the Match courses. Match course is a lot of fun. Buddy's dad is a member at PGA National and said Fazio is just kind of meh. Palmer is fine, the clear second best "traditional" course. I haven't played the Championship course (walked it a few times for Honda Championship) but frankly don't prioritize it over other courses in the area given price, unless you just want to be able to play where the pros play.

The PGA National courses are all "through the neighborhood" routings which I personally can't stand. PGA Village is much more natural routings/feels like you're in nature and not in a neighborhood, if that makes sense.

Of the courses you've listed that I have played or seen, my interest level would be:

1) Cape Club

2) PGA Wanamaker

3) PGA National Champions / Palmer (tie, for different reasons)

This with UMass' addition of the Park and for a fun round on the ocean - Palm Beach Par 3

I'd say Option 2.  The quality of courses drop significantly after the Palmer from what I understand(only played Champion and Palmer) at PGA National.  While I think they are overpriced, you will likely get better value in PSL.  I'm a proponent of the Dye course myself.  The Wanamaker is a good course but I've never loved it as much as others.  The Ryder course is the easy one.  A good course, but especially with changing number 10 to a par 3, there is something lost.

Cape Club(it was still the Fox when I played it) is a good course but a bit quirky(18 seems a little ridiculous IMHO).  But other guys love it so play it and form your own opinion.  I played Tesoro just before it basically shut down(strangest experience of my golfing life).  Definitely some good bones there, so if the restoration is going well, you could have a pretty good course.

There is a lot more ancillary stuff in West Palm Beach(bars, etc.) if you are looking for that, but for value for dollar and golf quality, PSL will be better.  If money isn't a factor, and you start getting some of the private clubs involved, then WPB is your choice, but PGA National....  I wouldn't say it's the better choice.  

Edited by golfortennis

Thanks Guys- we went with Option 2.  Right now planning on playing either The Park or Loxahatchee Club on day of arrival, 36 at PGA Golf Club (hopefully Dye and Wannamaker), then either 36 at Tesoro or Cape Club and then 18 at whichever one of those we dont' do 36 at.  I've played the PGA Golf Club courses and really enjoy them.  I'm currently down here now and played Medalist today, playing Ballenisles East Course tomorow, Old Palm Sat, and Old Marsh Sunday.  Love it down here!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pearls24 said:

Thanks Guys- we went with Option 2.  Right now planning on playing either The Park or Loxahatchee Club on day of arrival, 36 at PGA Golf Club (hopefully Dye and Wannamaker), then either 36 at Tesoro or Cape Club and then 18 at whichever one of those we dont' do 36 at.  I've played the PGA Golf Club courses and really enjoy them.  I'm currently down here now and played Medalist today, playing Ballenisles East Course tomorow, Old Palm Sat, and Old Marsh Sunday.  Love it down here!

If you're playing those courses what the hell are you doing messing with PGA Golf Club or even Tesoro?:classic_biggrin:

On 9/14/2023 at 11:33 PM, pearls24 said:

Go with the Park! It is unlike anything else in the area. And let me know next time you need a 4th at any of those "Other" clubs you play down here.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:51 PM, golfortennis said:

If you're playing those courses what the hell are you doing messing with PGA Golf Club or even Tesoro?:classic_biggrin:

Haha.. I have 4 guys on this upcoming trip where it was just me visiting my buddy who is a member at Old Palm and he arranged the tee times at the others.  I actually really enjoy playing the Dye and Wannamaker courses at PGA.  But I will tell you the private courses I just got to play was such an amazing treat and I was blown away.  

Just because a course is private it doesn't make it better than a course that isn't. If you gave me 10 rounds between the Dye course at PGA Village and, say, Cape Club, I'd play 7 of them at the Dye. I'd go 6-4 in favor of Dye over BallenIsles East.

Option 2 will be fun but you should definitely play The Match (and The Staple short course) at PGA National sometime. Much, much more fun and interesting than the other courses at PGAN.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

3 hours ago, Tim_Gavrich said:

Just because a course is private it doesn't make it better than a course that isn't. If you gave me 10 rounds between the Dye course at PGA Village and, say, Cape Club, I'd play 7 of them at the Dye. I'd go 6-4 in favor of Dye over BallenIsles East.

Option 2 will be fun but you should definitely play The Match (and The Staple short course) at PGA National sometime. Much, much more fun and interesting than the other courses at PGAN.

Cape Club was private, had to go public, and is trying private again.... but I hesitate to call it a private club except only in the loosest of terms.  The Trail at St Lucie went private as well, and it most certainly is not on the level with a lot of them.

At the same time, there has been a movement to make PGA Golf Club almost completely private recently as well.  So that muddies the waters, but I do agree the Dye course is better than all of them.

But the courses he was mentioning are on a whole other level.

I played Cape Club when it was Fox Club.  It was a fun course minus a couple of quirky holes.  I don't love that Cape Club flipped the 9's cuz the original 18th hole is a much better finishing hole than 9.  We wanted to just play the PGA courses but they are fully blacked out on Sat/Sun of that weekend.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, pearls24 said:

I played Cape Club when it was Fox Club.  It was a fun course minus a couple of quirky holes.  I don't love that Cape Club flipped the 9's cuz the original 18th hole is a much better finishing hole than 9.  We wanted to just play the PGA courses but they are fully blacked out on Sat/Sun of that weekend.

Last I heard, the management behind PGA golf club went to a method where there was a "resort" course every day, that was supposed to rotate, and members had the other two courses to themselves.  Which sounds great except look at how any tournaments that place hosts, and when they do host, guess which course is used?  So it's near impossible to get on there without a member's intervention of some sort.  Which is fine, but then stop advertising yourself as a public course.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, pearls24 said:

Didn't know they flipped the 9s. That was one of the best finishing holes around.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Last I heard, the management behind PGA golf club went to a method where there was a "resort" course every day, that was supposed to rotate, and members had the other two courses to themselves.  Which sounds great except look at how any tournaments that place hosts, and when they do host, guess which course is used?  So it's near impossible to get on there without a member's intervention of some sort.  Which is fine, but then stop advertising yourself as a public course.

Yes its ridiculous to get out on during season.  Public can only get out 2 days in advance.  PGA members used to be able to book 30 days in advance and now can only do 6 or 7.  10/7-10/8 the courses are blacked out cuz they are hosting a US Kids golf tournament.  That's why we are playing Tesoro and Cape Club.

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Are you talking the par 5 around the pond where you can go for the green?  Or the par 4 with water right?  When I played it a couple years ago the par 5 was the 18th.

The old par 5 18th is now the 9th hole.