2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pulling the Chain

Longdriver295

Had my buddy who is a pro work with me today on range to help me gain distance. Right off he knew I was taking club to far inside and it wasn't allowing me to Release everything cause I was getting stuck inside. Mainly swinging with Arms my Drives was in 230 range. He got me taking the Club back on a outside feel setting wrist and then Pulling the butt of club straight down as if I were "Pulling a chain" WOW the last 5 Drives I hit were off the Screws and Power was much better and was Gaining 10-15yds!! Now I've got to take that and practice practice practice, because I feel like the more I work on this in my swing the more power and distance I'm going to Gain!

• Like 1

@Longdriver295 I think this is against conventional thinking. Probably that is why you didn't get a reply. But, this swing thought has helped my game and also gave me the added power you metioned. Just be careful of overuse, as it can mess up your lead shoulder. I love this move for chipping and sand play too.

1 hour ago, Tanner25 said:

@Longdriver295 I think this is against conventional thinking. Probably that is why you didn't get a reply. But, this swing thought has helped my game and also gave me the added power you metioned. Just be careful of overuse, as it can mess up your lead shoulder. I love this move for chipping and sand play too.

Yeah even doing this I still can't get it pulled down without still releasing a bit early. I'm still working on it but one I get into the routine of holding the lag longer, then this swing change will definitely be worth it! I'm 50yrs old and my swing has slowed a bit so I've been saying if I can get 250-260yds I'd be one happy camper. I think this has definitely gotten me to that

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Moe is pulling the chain! 10:10

Pulling the chain means pulling the hands ( and grip ) straight down independently of the body 

Look at Moe’s transition in the still below , specially the changes in the position of his left knee and hip  relative to his left foot. His transition is as good as it gets and definitely involves his lower body 

IMG_3746.png

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, golfarb1 said:

Pulling the chain means pulling the hands ( and grip ) straight down independently of the body 

Look at Moe’s transition in the still below , specially the changes in the position of his left knee and hip  relative to his left foot. His transition is as good as it gets and definitely involves his lower body 

IMG_3746.png

I have never heard that pulling the chain has to be independent of the body. Plus the old favourite feel not re....  etc.

On 9/28/2023 at 9:52 PM, Longdriver295 said:

Yeah even doing this I still can't get it pulled down without still releasing a bit early. I'm still working on it but one I get into the routine of holding the lag longer, then this swing change will definitely be worth it! I'm 50yrs old and my swing has slowed a bit so I've been saying if I can get 250-260yds I'd be one happy camper. I think this has definitely gotten me to that

How are you defining early release? I would argue everyone needs to release early.

if pull the chain is working for you, go ahead, but I would never advise someone with that kind of swing thought

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

4 hours ago, slytown said:

How are you defining early release? I would argue everyone needs to release early.

if pull the chain is working for you, go ahead, but I would never advise someone with that kind of swing thought

I'm unhinging my wrist to early which causes me at times to hit either behind the ball instead of ball first or Flipping a little at it. The more I can feel as if I'm pulling the Chain the better I hit it because it causes me to hold the lag longer. Once I lose the lag by not pulling the Chain then I hit it short, still hit it decent but short.

What other swing thought would you give that will help me gain Lag and increase my distance?

Edited by Longdriver295
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longdriver295 said:

I'm unhinging my wrist to early which causes me at times to hit either behind the ball instead of ball first or Flipping a little at it. The more I can feel as if I'm pulling the Chain the better I hit it because it causes me to hold the lag longer. Once I lose the lag by not pulling the Chain then I hit it short, still hit it decent but short.

What other swing thought would you give that will help me gain Lag and increase my distance?

Do u have a down the line video?

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

The poor wrist action is the result of poor pelvis action in the backswing and downswing.  If you had correct wrist action, you’d hit it worse long term.  Pulling the chain to create what you think is better wrist action is going to have poor long term results because it doesn’t match what your pelvis is doing.  Your cast/flip does.

To be blunt, your pelvis action is WAY off and you need to find someone who knows what they’re doing to show you how it works. Just pulling the chain and getting some temporary results is like having severe chest or abdominal pain and taking a hand full of oxy.  Temporary relief and long term danger.

IMG_0333.png

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Also, you could made the case you’re unloading early because you load so late and you hit behind the ball and unload early because that’s where you’re looking.

IMG_0336.png

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Also, you could made the case you’re unloading early because you load so late and you hit behind the ball and unload early because that’s where you’re looking.

IMG_0336.png

I'm sure all this has to do with all my health issues as well. I've got a bad back for one that limits me to certain way I can turn ect... 

• Like 1

The grip and setup are fundamental to the golf swing .Problems  in either will cause issues later in the swing . 

You are setting up with an obvious “C “ posture or excessive roundness in your upper back . “C” posture reduces your ability to rotate , affects balance and can cause back problems .Golfers should strive to set up with a “neutral spine”. 

However, just trying to setup with a better posture in your golf swing will not do the trick, since there is a high probability that your posture problem has developed over the years when doing normal activities . 

You need to forget about trying to get suggestions on a golf forum and go to someone ( like a physical therapist ) trained 

In improving postural problems . 

IMG_4794.png

Edited by golfarb1

12 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

The grip and setup are fundamental to the golf swing .Problems  in either will cause issues later in the swing . 

You are setting up with an obvious “C “ posture or excessive roundness in your upper back . “C” posture reduces your ability to rotate , affects balance and can cause back problems .Golfers should strive to set up with a “neutral spine”. 

However, just trying to setup with a better posture in your golf swing will not do the trick, since there is a high probability that your posture problem has developed over the years when doing normal activities . 

You need to forget about trying to get suggestions on a golf forum and go to someone ( like a physical therapist ) trained 

In improving postural problems . 

IMG_4794.png

I have back problems, that roundness in my back is due to A spine disease where my spine has curved. So I basically have to deal with that

8 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

I'm sure all this has to do with all my health issues as well. I've got a bad back for one that limits me to certain way I can turn ect... 

the way you’re doing it puts more pressure on your back than the more efficient way.  However, let’s assume that this is the only way you can do it.  Adding lag to a swing with that hip movement will make you worse.

• Like 2

BERTRAND RUSSELL

8 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

the way you’re doing it puts more pressure on your back than the more efficient way.  However, let’s assume that this is the only way you can do it.  Adding lag to a swing with that hip movement will make you worse.

So then if it is what I got, then where do I can more power?

47 minutes ago, Longdriver295 said:

So then if it is what I got, then where do I can more power?

With that pelvis movement, you’re pretty close to your ceiling.

More power and speed comes from proper sequencing, which leads to proper loading and unloading of the wrists.

You can’t sequence correctly with that pelvis movement.

Again, better pelvis movement will put less stress on your back not more.  

If you can’t rotate, you have to unload the angles early.

You can’t rotate because you bring the center of your pelvis significantly closer to the ball.

You do that because you have the incorrect concept of how hips move.  Most likely part of it is trying too hard to swing to right field and hit up is part of it.

• Like 2

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I will say since I've been doing this way I have had more back pain. My swing Setup was worse before because I was bending over more and I didn't have as much back pain. That just doesn't make sense?? Have I got to much bend in my back and legs? Do I need to straighten everything up so it will allow me to turn my hips better instead of Sliding my hips forward which I feel like I do alot 

3 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

I will say since I've been doing this way I have had more back pain. My swing Setup was worse before because I was bending over more and I didn't have as much back pain. That just doesn't make sense?? Have I got to much bend in my back and legs? Do I need to straighten everything up so it will allow me to turn my hips better instead of Sliding my hips forward which I feel like I do alot 

I don’t think your setup is particularly poor, considering your physical issue. Are you physically able to turn like a tour pro, probably not.

However, you have plenty of range of motion to improve your pelvis motion by a significant margin.  It’s a poor perception of what to do.  That pretty much puts you in the same category as 99% of golfers.

and that big head turn isn’t helping anybody.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

3 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

@MonteScheinblum Is this a good description of better pelvis movement?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cto7_HNrVx2/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 4

BERTRAND RUSSELL

9 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

I have back problems, that roundness in my back is due to A spine disease where my spine has curved. So I basically have to deal with that

Given your inherent problems in your inability to rotate in your thoracic spine , it is important that you do not try to rotate in your lumbar back area instead , because your lower back is not designed to rotate .

To accomplish this flare out both feet and pick up your left heel slightly going back .

Your swing will involve little rotation and more lateral motion .Because your swing can not be powered by ribcage rotation , it is important that you maximize the levers of your wrists . Try setting your wrists early in your backswing ala Dustin Johnson 

9 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I don’t think your setup is particularly poor, considering your physical issue. Are you physically able to turn like a tour pro, probably not.

However, you have plenty of range of motion to improve your pelvis motion by a significant margin.  It’s a poor perception of what to do.  That pretty much puts you in the same category as 99% of golfers.

and that big head turn isn’t helping anybody.

@MonteScheinblum I will try to get another DTL video today when I play. I've watched your videos about pelvis and pushing hips back when I start the downswing. So I'm gonna work on posture and and these things and see if it helps.