2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

First trip to Palm Springs

PJ Blake

My wife and I are going to Palm Springs early December for the first time. We are only going for 4 nights and I will play two rounds. I'd appreciate some feedback for those who live in or frequent the area. What courses would you recommend that won't seriously kick the butt of a 64 y.o., with about a 17 hcp, and only hits his drives about 220 tops with normal variables 😁I am only going to play two courses and I'd like to play Classic Club and one of 3 others: Firecliff, Indian Wells Players, or Pete Dye Stadium. Unless there are better options for my skill level. I've read here P.D. Stadium is a lot of fun and I'd love to play it given its a tour stop...but it's also the reason I'm  hesitant. Might be a bit over my head? Don't want anything crazy narrow where I'm fighting my way out of the desert lies all day.

Also, in light of the fact we've never been there, and my wife will have to occupy herself, I assume staying close to downtown Palm Springs would be better than Palm Desert? I know I'll have to drive a bit farther to golf if we stay in Palm Springs, but if it keeps the wifey happier for a few days...😉

Appreciate the help!

Any of those courses will be fine as long as you play from the correct tees.  Play too far back and you will be in for frustrating rounds.  You really have to be aware of what courses are just coming out of over-seeding as they can be cart path only or very wet with less than ideal conditions.  That is always what determines what I play if I go in December.

Where you stay really is dependent on what you want to do other than golf.  Shopping, hiking, galleries, museums, bars?  Old Palm Springs is quaint, but not what it used to be.  There are still quite a lot of shops in walking distance.   Early December can be on the cold side, so be prepared for sketchy weather and changing of plans based on that. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 54°, SM2 58° Recoil 660 F3
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"  (Back in)

Ping Redwood Anser 34.75" (resting) 
MCC Align Midsize

Agree with @Socrates if you play the right tees at Stadium Course you would be fine.  Although Firecliff and IWP are fun courses with IWP being the least harsh.  You would be dealing with desert golf at Firecliff (wayward drives can get lost is brush/barancas) but not so much with Stadium and IWP.  The other course at Desert Willow - Mountain - is a bit less harsh.   Really depends on what you want in terms of golf experience - with Stadium you are playing wher the pros play and you can watch tournament and see the holes you played.  If that doesn't matter I would recommend IWP for a nice leisurely, non penal round.  Firecliff is right in between.  Classic Club is great track and you will enjoy it.  I like Marriot's Shadow Ridge too.  

And yes, weather could be an issue in Decemeber.  There's a good chance you will hit a frost delay and tee times won't start until at least 7am.  Just because it's the desert doesn't mean it stays warm! 

Also, The Stadium course is a good 25-30 min from Palm Springs so carefully pick where you are staying. 
Old Palm Springs has a ton of restaurants/bars but has become a little more dingy in the last 5-10 yrs.  There are upscale resorts too but dining is all over the place in terms of quality, price and cuisine.  La Quinta and Palm Desert are a bit more quiet but more upscale in terms of lodging and restaurants.  

Edited by tw422
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tw422 said:

Although Firecliff and IWP are fun courses with IWP being the least harsh.  You would be dealing with desert golf at Firecliff (wayward drives can get lost is brush/barancas) but not so much with Stadium and IWP.  The other course at Desert Willow - Mountain - is a bit less harsh.   Really depends on what you want in terms of golf experience - with Stadium you are playing wher the pros play and you can watch tournament and see the holes you played.  If that doesn't matter I would recommend IWP for a nice leisurely, non penal round.  Firecliff is right in between.  Classic Club is great track and you will enjoy it.  I like Marriot's Shadow Ridge too.  

I want the "desert golf" experience since I don't get anything like it where I am. So the Indian Wells Players is more traditional and Firecliff more of the desert style? Is Firecliff really narrow? I believe it's  the only one open at Desert Willow when we'll be there. .. Thanks!

At Indian wells, you’ll see desert for sure.  You might look at the IW celebrity course, I would say it’s more interesting than the players, somewhat easier, but they’re both good.  
firecliff is far better than mountain.   I’d put both IW above it.  Stadium is an experience for sure , but it’s tough, I’d leave that for a future trip, when you’re playing more games.  
I prefer DT Palm Desert over PS.  Smaller and quieter.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, st1800e said:

At Indian wells, you’ll see desert for sure.  You might look at the IW celebrity course, I would say it’s more interesting than the players, somewhat easier, but they’re both good.  
firecliff is far better than mountain.   I’d put both IW above it.  Stadium is an experience for sure , but it’s tough, I’d leave that for a future trip, when you’re playing more games.  
I prefer DT Palm Desert over PS.  Smaller and quieter.    

Thanks.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to play a course that incorporates the "desert" into the design. Based on pictures, it looks like Indian Wells are more traditional courses dropped in the desert, yeah? But courses look great and seem to be the favorite of a lot people.  Looks like Celebrity is pretty booked when I'm there so I guess it will have to be Players.

thanks for the help you guys.

If you’re going to play the courses in the Palm Desert and Indian Wells area I would rent your accommodations there also.    Will save you 40-50 minutes of driving in total each day.  The Villas at the 2 Marriotts are both nice.   Apartment style.   

The stadium course at PGA WEST is playable  if you pick the correct tee boxes.    Make a green white combo if necessary.    

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

2 hours ago, URStillAway said:

If you’re going to play the courses in the Palm Desert and Indian Wells area I would rent your accommodations there also.    Will save you 40-50 minutes of driving in total each day.  The Villas at the 2 Marriotts are both nice.   Apartment style.   

The stadium course at PGA WEST is playable  if you pick the correct tee boxes.    Make a green white combo if necessary.    

If it were just me or it was a golf buddy trip I'd probly stay at one of the resorts at Indian Wells. But I'm leaving my wife without a car and she needs to have things to do. She's never been to the area so it seems logical that (I assume unique) downtown Palm Springs would offer the most variety and interest for her. Classic Club is only 20 minutes from our hotel in PS and it looks like about 30 to Indian Wells. No biggie. Except I'll have to drive back and won't get to enjoy the 19th hole as much 😆

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trilinkrealty said:

Last time I was there I did both Indian Wells courses in one day.      Based on what you said you may enjoy the Celebrity course more but you can't go wrong with either.   

Take the Gondola ride even if you just go up have a drink and come down.

Eat dinner at Shanghai Reds

Got a tee time at Celebrity, unfortunately it's 8:30 AM. I'll check with them a couple days ahead to see if they have a cancellation a bit later. We will definitely do the tramway and I'll follow your advice on Shanghai Reds. I'll never pass on good Baja fish tacos or good seafood in general.

I have the option of getting a 12:30 tee time at Classic Club for $165. Maybe someone could offer their experience with pace of play in early December on a Friday? Any idea if I'll finish? And will wind at that time of year be a factor in the afternoon?

• Like 1

If you do the PS Tram (def worth doing once) make sure you buy tickets ahead of time.  It fills up and sells out quickly.  Will be really cold at the top too.  Firecliff is the more desert-y style course compared to IW but all are good.  Be careful what you wish for though, unless you drive the ball dead straight desert golf will eat your ball so bring a bunch or play with cheap balls.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand why you're staying in PS.  We go to Rancho Mirage every other month, and stay at friends.  The women (not golfers) like to shop, so head to PS.  The drive from PS to RM is 30-45min depending on route and how you drive.  I would check out Firecliff.  On desert courses, bring an extra 5 or 6i for when your ball is in the desert but still playable.  

• Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

19 minutes ago, tw422 said:

If you do the PS Tram (def worth doing once) make sure you buy tickets ahead of time.  

Good tip, thanks tw422. Hoping to see the air museum as well if it's worth the time.

12 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I understand why you're staying in PS.  We go to Rancho Mirage every other month, and stay at friends.  The women (not golfers) like to shop, so head to PS.  The drive from PS to RM is 30-45min depending on route and how you drive.  I would check out Firecliff.  On desert courses, bring an extra 5 or 6i for when your ball is in the desert but still playable.  

We compromised and we are staying two nights at the IW resort and I'm playing Celebrity. Then we are staying two nights downtown PS and I'll drive the 20 min to Classic Club. 

• Like 3

If you are into aviation history at all, the Air Museum is a definite "go to" destination.  Especially if the weather at the top of the Tram is bad (which can happen easily).  Saturday is the best for the air museum as they generally fly a few planes (check with them to see if and what is flying).  Budget 3-4 hours.

Classic Club can be windy on any given day.  It also can be calm.  Just watch the weather.  PS at that time of year can both be hot and cold.  But once the sun goes behind the mountains, it will be cool-cold most evenings.  I like the Celebrity course.  It can be a little quirky, so you need to pay attention to the yardage of the tee as you just can't just bash it off the tee.

• Thanks 1

MCC Align Midsize

2 minutes ago, Socrates said:

If you are into aviation history at all, the Air Museum is a definite "go to" destination.  Especially if the weather at the top of the Tram is bad (which can happen easily).  Saturday is the best for the air museum as they generally fly a few planes (check with them to see if and what is flying).  Budget 3-4 hours.

Classic Club can be windy on any given day.  It also can be calm.  Just watch the weather.  PS at that time of year can both be hot and cold.  But once the sun goes behind the mountains, it will be cool-cold most evenings.  I like the Celebrity course.  It can be a little quirky, so you need to pay attention to the yardage of the tee as you just can't just bash it off the tee.

I'm an avid reader & documentary and movie watcher of all things WWII, but warplanes in particular.  Unfortunately we are flying out Saturday at noon so likely have to go on Thursday. Sure wish I could see the P51 in action, but I read it flies on Sundays when it does fly 

Thanks for the info on weather...and advice on Celebrity. I'll definitely size up distances, etc. 

I just happened to come across Indian Canyons on the map, which is right in Palm Springs and seems to get decent reviews. Would save me a little driving time and a few bucks. Maybe some golf balls too with it's wider fairways😉. Unless anyone here has experienced this course and wouldn't recommend it. Watching videos about Classic Club makes me think it may be more than I want to handle even from the white or gold tees. Anyone played Indian Canyons?

41 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

I just happened to come across Indian Canyons on the map, which is right in Palm Springs and seems to get decent reviews. Would save me a little driving time and a few bucks. Maybe some golf balls too with it's wider fairways😉. Unless anyone here has experienced this course and wouldn't recommend it. Watching videos about Classic Club makes me think it may be more than I want to handle even from the white or gold tees. Anyone played Indian Canyons?

I’ve played Indian Canyons South. It’s a great course tucked away in the canyon. Wind usually isn’t an issue there. It’s beautiful. The south course is nicer than the north course. It’s always in great shape. It’s definitely worth playing and there isn’t any homes on the course except for a couple holes.

Edited by pmang
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* GD AD-VF 6S
TM Qi10 5 Wood RDX Red 70 6.0

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
TM Spider X HB 34”

50 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

I've played both courses at Indian Canyons several times and within the past year. North is less interesting and lined with more houses compared to South. Both are usually in excellent condition and are good values given the location. North and South have separate clubhouses, but if you are playing 36, you can just walk across the street to the clubhouse for the other course in a couple minutes. South has a great patio for lunch overlooking the course. If your wife would be interested in horseback riding, Smoke Tree Stables is right next to the course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Socrates said:

But once the sun goes behind the mountains, it will be cool-cold most evenings.  

Also worth noting that once the sun starts going behind the mountains, it gets dark FAST. You can go from "gee, it looks like there is plenty of light left to finish the last 4 holes" to "crap, how am I going to get this cart back to the clubhouse in the dark" real fast. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I've played both courses at Indian Canyons several times and within the past year. North is less interesting and lined with more houses compared to South. Both are usually in excellent condition and are good values given the location. North and South have separate clubhouses, but if you are playing 36, you can just walk across the street to the clubhouse for the other course in a couple minutes. South has a great patio for lunch overlooking the course. If your wife would be interested in horseback riding, Smoke Tree Stables is right next to the course.

I’ll be making my trip to the desert in February. I’ve never played the North course because I’ve read complaints that it wasn’t in good shape? Have they improved it? Or is it just “course snobs” complaining?

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* GD AD-VF 6S
TM Qi10 5 Wood RDX Red 70 6.0

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
TM Spider X HB 34”

2 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

I'm an avid reader & documentary and movie watcher of all things WWII, but warplanes in particular.  Unfortunately we are flying out Saturday at noon so likely have to go on Thursday. Sure wish I could see the P51 in action, but I read it flies on Sundays when it does fly 

Thanks for the info on weather...and advice on Celebrity. I'll definitely size up distances, etc. 

The one thing about the air museum is that it is "hands on."  Very few exhibits have any kind of barriers other than cockpits.  It's real easy to gloss over some things, but if you take the time to read the info, it can be illuminating.  Really helps if you know your planes and who flew what, when and how.  If you are really bored and want a drive, the Gen Patton Museum is good too.  It is a long drive from downtown PS.

• Thanks 1

MCC Align Midsize

4 minutes ago, pmang said:

I’ll be making my trip to the desert in February. I’ve never played the North course because I’ve read complaints that it wasn’t in good shape? Have they improved it? Or is it just “course snobs” complaining?

I last played it in February 2023 and it was in perfect condition. Photo below. Keep in mind that in desert climates, a lot of reviewers complaining about crappy conditions don't understand the transition in grasses from winter rye to bermuda in late spring (rye dies off/gets sparse and the bermuda starts coming back) and then the preparations for overseeding (turning off the water and scalping) that occur in the fall. So take note of when these reviews are from.IMG_3447(1).jpg.ae2872cb4d7e19848547128ad57c4577.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love playing Indian Wells and the resort at Desert Willow is very nice too.  Classic Club is a good course but I would not place it in the top 5....I would put it in the top 10.  The Jack Nicklaus tournament course id fun too and they recently redid the Greg Norman course at PGA West.  The Mariott course is another solid choice and depending if they finished construction, Silver Rock is a good set up. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

Good tip, thanks tw422. Hoping to see the air museum as well if it's worth the time.

We compromised and we are staying two nights at the IW resort and I'm playing Celebrity. Then we are staying two nights downtown PS and I'll drive the 20 min to Classic Club. 

yes, air museum is worth the trip, you may also get to see (and hear) some of the old p51's flying.  I think you are able to do an open cockpit tour at the museum too.   PS Air Museum is right next to a great course called Escena - not really desert golf but worth playing.  It has some desert elements but is always in great shape.   Also, both Indian Canyon courses are worth playing - old style layouts and a bit shorter.  I like the South a bit more than North but both are good.  Conditioning will not be an issue when you are there in December. 

Edited by tw422

9 minutes ago, tw422 said:

yes, air museum is worth the trip, you may also get to see (and hear) some of the old p51's flying.  I think you are able to do an open cockpit tour at the museum too.   PS Air Museum is right next to a great course called Escena - not really desert golf but worth playing.  It has some desert elements but is always in great shape.   Also, both Indian Canyon courses are worth playing - old style layouts and a bit shorter.  I like the South a bit more than North but both are good.  Conditioning will not be an issue when you are there in December. 

Thanks ..yes I will definitely be going to the air museum. I'm hoping to do the museum and tram in one day. Right now I have a tee time for Celebrity and for my other round I'm leaning toward Canyon South. Can only play 2 rounds. 

30 minutes ago, PJ Blake said:

Thanks ..yes I will definitely be going to the air museum. I'm hoping to do the museum and tram in one day. Right now I have a tee time for Celebrity and for my other round I'm leaning toward Canyon South. Can only play 2 rounds. 

Sounds like a great plan.  You will enjoy both of those courses. 

20 hours ago, PJ Blake said:

Good compromise.

The Classic Club is a fine track, played it many times.  It's the other side of 10 frwy where the wind can blow like a hell, and shows its ugly face around 11+am, so make sure you tee off as early as possible.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

18 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Good compromise.

The Classic Club is a fine track, played it many times.  It's the other side of 10 frwy where the wind can blow like a hell, and shows its ugly face around 11+am, so make sure you tee off as early as possible.  

I was all gung-ho about Classic cuz my son played it some time back and really liked it. But he's a 6 handicap and I'm a 17 handicapper whose balls seem to be attracted to sand and water😁. So with the wind as a significant factor at Classic, making it even tougher, I decided on a friendlier course for my handicap and will likely play Indian Canyons South 10 minutes from my hotel. Unless anyone comes up with something a lot nicer and roughly the same degree of challenge.