Orlando recommandations for a couple

PracticeSwinger

My girlfriend and I are planning on coming to the area and are looking for recommandations :

• Coming in end of April for a week; able to play any day
  • We'll have a rental and probably be staying around the Seaworld / International drive area 
  • I'm a 3-5ish cap and she's a 15ish... think 90 scoring average from 5,000-5,200 yds
  • Looking to book 5 rounds and trying to fit a 100$ / round / person budget - but don’t mind extra bucks if it’s worth it
  • Also don’t mind a 45ish minutes drive to get there and back
  • We're usually walking - but wondering if the Orlando scene is similar to Myrtle and DR (i.e. prices are cart included and courses are designed that way)
  • Dont mind playing twilight if there are great deals to be had there

I've been lurking here (few threads in this section), on the net, on Google earth and the information is overwhelming... I've looked at most of the decent and upscale courses... and was also wondering if there's a way to block-book a few rounds to get a deal (any site to do so?) - if it was preferable to book early (dynamic pricing) or trying for last minute deals ?

Anyhow... if you had 5 courses to go to, avoiding the tourist traps, with the info above (i.e. decent sticks but nothing to write home about / not that penal courses / tees in the lower 5,000s) what would you be planning?

• Coming in end of April for a week; able to play any day ; staying around the Seaworld / International drive area  -

The good news is that some of the courses reduce their rates after April 15. The bad news is that most of the courses closest to where you are staying are still over $100. If you are willing to drive away from the theme park areas, you'll be able to play a bunch of good courses for under $100

• We're usually walking - but wondering if the Orlando scene is similar to Myrtle and DR (i.e. prices are cart included and courses are designed that way) -

Unfortunately, it's almost always cart-ball down here. I was a walker until I moved here.

• Looking to book 5 rounds and trying to fit a 100$ / round / person budget - but don’t mind extra bucks if it’s worth it;  Don't mind playing twilight if there are great deals to be had there -if you had 5 courses to go to, avoiding the tourist traps, with the info above (i.e. decent sticks but nothing to write home about / not that penal courses / tees in the lower 5,000s) what would you be planning?

There are definitely some good values playing later in the day. After April 15 you can play Southern Dunes after 12:00 pm for $79 and after 1:45 pm for $69. You should definitely play SD. It is worth the drive. It's a great design and will be challenging for you, but has wide fairways and only water on two holes so forgiving for your girl friend.

Some other good courses that meet your criteria that you should consider that will please both of you:

• Orange County National will be $99 after 1:00 pm. They have two courses Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. There are a few water carries required here, but they are two very good courses
  • Highlands Reserve is $69 or less all day after April 15. It's a very fun course. No water, lots of elevation changes. There are a few holes where your GF might lose a couple balls but starting at #4 it's pretty generous off the tee
  • Royal St Cloud is under $70 now. They haven't posted their spring rates yet but they do go down after April 1. They will likely be under $60 in the morning and under $50 after noon. They have 27 holes and it's worth the ride
  • Celebration will be $129 after 1:00 pm ($169 before then)
  • Legends of Clermont They haven't posted their April rates yet, but should be under $100 after April 15
  • The Reserve at Orange Lake - They haven't posted their April rates yet, but should be under $100

That's eight course recommendations that meet your criteria. Pick your five from those and you'll have a great trip

• I was also wondering if there's a way to block-book a few rounds to get a deal (any site to do so?) - if it was preferable to book early (dynamic pricing) or trying for last minute deals ?

I'm not aware of a way to block book for discounts unless you do a stay & play where you get a package to stay at a resort and play the courses at their resort (e.g. Orange Lake, Mission Inn). However, The courses listed above are cheap enough (IMO) that it's probably not worth doing that. There may be some last minute deals on Golf Now if you are flexible on where you want to play, but you can get 5 rounds from the courses I listed above for an average under $75/round, I'd probably book in advance to make sure I got on the courses I wanted on a schedule I want.

A warning for anyone visiting the Orlando area: plan your golf tee times leaving enough drive time to take into account traffic on I-4. 

Edited by sabram
to correct typos

2 hours ago, sabram said:
  • Coming in end of April for a week; able to play any day ; staying around the Seaworld / International drive area  -

The good news is that some of the courses reduce there rates after April 15. The bad news is that most of the courses closest to where you are staying are still over $100. If you are willing to drive away from the theme park areas, you'll be able to play a bunch of good courses for under $100

• We're usually walking - but wondering if the Orlando scene is similar to Myrtle and DR (i.e. prices are cart included and courses are designed that way) -

Unfortunately, it's almost always cart-ball down here. I was a walker until I moved here.

• Looking to book 5 rounds and trying to fit a 100$ / round / person budget - but don’t mind extra bucks if it’s worth it;  Don't mind playing twilight if there are great deals to be had there -if you had 5 courses to go to, avoiding the tourist traps, with the info above (i.e. decent sticks but nothing to write home about / not that penal courses / tees in the lower 5,000s) what would you be planning?

There are definitely some good values playing later in the day. After April 15 you can play Southern Dunes after 12:00 pm for $79 and after 1:45 pm for $69. You should definitely play SD. It is worth the drive. It's a great design and will be challenging for you, but has wide fairways and only water on two holes so forgiving for your girl friend.

Some other good courses that meet your criteria that you should consider that will please both of you:

• Orange County National will be $99 after 1:00 pm. They have two courses Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. There are a few water carries required here, but they are two very good courses
  • Highlands Reserve is $69 or less all day after April 15. It's a very fun course. No water, lots of elevation changes. There are a few holes where your GF might lose a couple balls but starting at #4 it's pretty generous off the tee
  • Royal St Cloud is under $70 now. They haven't posted their spring rates yet but they do go down after April 1. They will likely be under $60 in the morning and under $50 after noon. They have 27 holes and it's worth the ride
  • Celebration will be $129 after 1:00 pm ($169 before then)
  • Legends of Clermont They haven't posted their April rates yet, but should be under $100 after April 15
  • The Reserve at Orange Lake - They haven't posted their April rates yet, but should be under $100

That's eight course recommendations that meet your criteria. Pick your five from those and you'll have a great trip

• I was also wondering if there's a way to block-book a few rounds to get a deal (any site to do so?) - if it was preferable to book early (dynamic pricing) or trying for last minute deals ?

I'm not aware of a way to block book for discounts unless you do a stay & play where you get a package to stay at a resort and play the courses at their resort (e.g. Orange Lake, Mission Inn). However, The courses listed above are cheap enough (IMO) that it's probably not worth doing that. There may be some last minute deals on Golf Now if you are flexible on where you want to play, but you can get 5 rounds from the courses I listed above for an average under $75/round, I'd probably book in advance to make sure I got on the courses I wanted on a schedule I want.

A warning for anyone visiting the Orlando area: plan your golf tee times leaving enough drive time to take into account traffic on I-4. 

Thanks for all the detailed info, exactly what I was looking for!

I wrote about a 100$ person round budget, but it’s more a guideline than anything else - we played True Blue at Myrtle for 150$ and it was worth it, Mayakoba at 250$ that was a reach but still ok, but some other courses at 140$ where I was scratching my head wondering if it was worth it - so, we don’t mind 150$ish for an experience

I had read your comments in other threads and the info is confirming it. Will make sure we get a round at Southern Dunes, was looking into OCN and Celebration already and will be looking at the other suggestions. Good to know on the cart-ball and booking early - thanks again!

I'm a big walker and play most of my rounds on courses that allow it here. If walking helps tip the scales on where you're going to play, here's a comprehensive list of places I put together a couple years ago that do allow walking. However, don't expect a reduction in rate because you are walking; I personally never ask for it unless they have it listed on their website. Many of these courses are within the 45 minute drive time and may or may not meet the $100 requirement. I've highlighted the ones that I like. Note that most of these are not resort courses, so don't expect full fledged service or any polish if they aren't. Also, because this list is a couple of years old and I typically stick to four or five of them, I would call ahead and double check if its not noted. If a course isn't on this list, it doesn't allow walking.

1. WP9 (definitely still allow walking)
2. Winter Pines (definitely still allow walking)
3. Dubsdread (definitely still allow walking)
4. Rio Pinar
5. Mayfair (definitely still allow walking)
6. Fairways CC
7. Royal St. Cloud (definitely still allow walking)
8. Championsgate National 
9. Championsgate International 
10. Falcons Fire
11. Providence Golf Club 
12. Streamsong (definitely still allow walking)
13. Mount Dora
14. OCN Tooth (definitely still allow walking)
15. Black Bear
16. Disney Magnolia
17. Disney Palm
18. Disney LBV
19. Disney Oak Trail (definitely still allow walking)
20. North Shore
21. Wedgefield
22. Hawks Landing 
23. Highlands Reserve

1 hour ago, italianstallion said:

I'm a big walker and play most of my rounds on courses that allow it here. If walking helps tip the scales on where you're going to play, here's a comprehensive list of places I put together a couple years ago that do allow walking. However, don't expect a reduction in rate because you are walking; I personally never ask for it unless they have it listed on their website. Many of these courses are within the 45 minute drive time and may or may not meet the $100 requirement. I've highlighted the ones that I like. Note that most of these are not resort courses, so don't expect full fledged service or any polish if they aren't. Also, because this list is a couple of years old and I typically stick to four or five of them, I would call ahead and double check if its not noted. If a course isn't on this list, it doesn't allow walking.

1. WP9 (definitely still allow walking)
2. Winter Pines (definitely still allow walking)
3. Dubsdread (definitely still allow walking)
4. Rio Pinar
5. Mayfair (definitely still allow walking)
6. Fairways CC
7. Royal St. Cloud (definitely still allow walking)
8. Championsgate National 
9. Championsgate International 
10. Falcons Fire
11. Providence Golf Club 
12. Streamsong (definitely still allow walking)
13. Mount Dora
14. OCN Tooth (definitely still allow walking)
15. Black Bear
16. Disney Magnolia
17. Disney Palm
18. Disney LBV
19. Disney Oak Trail (definitely still allow walking)
20. North Shore
21. Wedgefield
22. Hawks Landing 
23. Highlands Reserve

Awesome list - thanks! Some of them are definitely on the list I'm looking at.

Also pleasantly surprised actually on cost - thought I'd have to dig deep to try and fit the 100$ish+ budget... but seems that most of the clubs will fit that range or so by the end of April (compared to DR and Mexico for example). Opens up for a great week on good looking tracks, looking at 6 rounds, with a mix of early and twilight, all around our hotel spot.

Quick update - been lurking on sites for tee times and locations... only spots that seems out of reach based on budget are the courses at Grand Cypress and ChampionsGate (that looks to be in the 200$ish +) ... 

With that in mind, we're looking for 6 rounds, with two on the weekend... and front runners are :

• Southern Dunes, OCN (probably Crooked cat?), Celebration, Orange Lake resort (probably The Legends?), Royal St. Cloud and Shingle Creek...

Been looking also at Highlands Reserve, Hawk's Landing, Falcon's Fire, Eagle Creek and the courses at Mission Inn (wondering if they were left out because of the driving distance)...

Anything you would swap from the front runners to the ones listed below and/or other moves (like going twice at OCN? going for The Reserve instead of The Legends at Orange Lake resort? other?)

2 hours ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Quick update - been lurking on sites for tee times and locations... only spots that seems out of reach based on budget are the courses at Grand Cypress and ChampionsGate (that looks to be in the 200$ish +) ... 

With that in mind, we're looking for 6 rounds, with two on the weekend... and front runners are :

• Southern Dunes, OCN (probably Crooked cat?), Celebration, Orange Lake resort (probably The Legends?), Royal St. Cloud and Shingle Creek...

Been looking also at Highlands Reserve, Hawk's Landing, Falcon's Fire, Eagle Creek and the courses at Mission Inn (wondering if they were left out because of the driving distance)...

Anything you would swap from the front runners to the ones listed below and/or other moves (like going twice at OCN? going for The Reserve instead of The Legends at Orange Lake resort? other?)

Nothing wrong with that list and you certainly don't need to change it to have a great trip.

• Been looking also at Highlands Reserve, Hawk's Landing, Falcon's Fire, Eagle Creek and the courses at Mission Inn (wondering if they were left out because of the driving distance)...

I'm a big fan of Highlands Reserve. It's a very fun course, lots of elevation changes, no water, forgiving for handicap golfers yet challenging for good golfers,  reasonably priced and been in really good condition since they re-built the greens.

I play Hawks Landing several times a year. It's a course for good good golfers but difficult. Water in play on 14 holes, mostly flat with narrow fairways. You can loose a lot of golf balls here. I'd say it appeals to a different brand of golfer (i.e. low handicappers) than Highlands Reserve.

Falcon's Fire is okay, but not really special. I certainly wouldn't replace any of the courses on your existing list to play FF

I haven't played Eagle Creek in more than a year. It's a good choice on your arrival or departure day as it is close to the airport. I wouldn't replace any of the courses on your list to play here,  except perhaps Orange Lake

Mission Inn El Campeon is a really good course, worth playing if you are willing to  make the drive there. I like it more than any of the courses on your list other than Southern Dunes, but it's too far for me to play regularly

• Anything you would swap from the front runners to the ones listed below and/or other moves (like going twice at OCN? going for The Reserve instead of The Legends at Orange Lake resort? other?)

Your list of "front runners" is a good list. The only ones that you mentioned that I would consider adding would be (i) Mission Inn if you are comfortable with the driving distance, (ii) Highlands Reserve if you are looking for another a good value round like Royal St Cloud, or (iii) OCN Panther Lake.  I prefer these three to either course at Orange Lake (although Orange Lake is very convenient to where you are staying). I like, but don't love Shingle Creek and I'd prefer these three to Shingle, but that may not be a majority opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sabram said:

Nothing wrong with that list and you certainly don't need to change it to have a great trip.

• Been looking also at Highlands Reserve, Hawk's Landing, Falcon's Fire, Eagle Creek and the courses at Mission Inn (wondering if they were left out because of the driving distance)...

I'm a big fan of Highlands Reserve. It's a very fun course, lots of elevation changes, no water, forgiving for handicap golfers yet challenging for good golfers,  reasonably priced and been in really good condition since they re-built the greens.

I play Hawks Landing several times a year. It's a course for good good golfers but difficult. Water in play on 14 holes, mostly flat with narrow fairways. You can loose a lot of golf balls here. I'd say it appeals to a different brand of golfer (i.e. low handicappers) than Highlands Reserve.

Falcon's Fire is okay, but not really special. I certainly wouldn't replace any of the courses on your existing list to play FF

I haven't played Eagle Creek in more than a year. It's a good choice on your arrival or departure day as it is close to the airport. I wouldn't replace any of the courses on your list to play here,  except perhaps Orange Lake

Mission Inn El Campeon is a really good course, worth playing if you are willing to  make the drive there. I like it more than any of the courses on your list other than Southern Dunes, but it's too far for me to play regularly

• Anything you would swap from the front runners to the ones listed below and/or other moves (like going twice at OCN? going for The Reserve instead of The Legends at Orange Lake resort? other?)

Your list of "front runners" is a good list. The only ones that you mentioned that I would consider adding would be (i) Mission Inn if you are comfortable with the driving distance, (ii) Highlands Reserve if you are looking for another a good value round like Royal St Cloud, or (iii) OCN Panther Lake.  I prefer these three to either course at Orange Lake (although Orange Lake is very convenient to where you are staying). I like, but don't love Shingle Creek and I'd prefer these three to Shingle, but that may not be a majority opinion.

Thanks again - exactly what I was looking for, with the explanations - much appreciated!

Settled in for 6 rounds in the 100$ish+ range with weekend midday rounds at Celebration and OCN Crooked Cat + weekdays 10am ish at Shingle Creek, Royal St Cloud, Southern Dunes and midday at OCN Panther lake.

Anything else to keep in mind? We’ll get to Southern Dunes early as many have talked about I4 traffic…

• Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:38 AM, Varry_Hardon said:

Settled in for 6 rounds in the 100$ish+ range with weekend midday rounds at Celebration and OCN Crooked Cat + weekdays 10am ish at Shingle Creek, Royal St Cloud, Southern Dunes and midday at OCN Panther lake.

Anything else to keep in mind? We’ll get to Southern Dunes early as many have talked about I4 traffic…

Good lineup there! I would say if its a weekend don't be in a rush to get back from Southern Dunes. 

• Thanks 1

I was a member of Royal St Cloud and it is great for the money, but like most places near Orlando, it will be a 5 hour round. 

Best course no one ever talks about is right down the street from RSC, it is called Harmony Preserve.  One of the best layouts in ALL of Central Florida, it's hardy ever crowded, and plays very tough from the back tees.  This would be my number one recommendation because it's reasonable in price, and isn't like EVERY other course in Orlando. 

Eagle Creek  and OCN were mentioned a couple of times above and they are good, but super busy and always soooooo slow.  OCN is Wildy overpriced compared to RSC or Harmony for similar conditions and layout.

Mission Inn - El Campeon if you want something different. It's fun and worth the money, last year we went to play and the very next day Charlie and Tiger showed up for no reason other than they just wanted to play the course again.

Best Semi private/Public course in all of Central Florida is about 1.5 hours north of Orlando in Dunnelon/Ocala, it is called Juliette Falls.  GUARANTEED not to disappoint! Plus rounds never take more than 4 hours.  Lots of Hiking, outdoorsy stuff, canoe, paddle board, in crystal clear water with manatees you can reach out and touch, all in this area and the area between here and Orlando.  It's fun if you have never been

Avoid the main set of tourist trap courses and you will be happier. Except Streamsong, if you can afford that, just go

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, italianstallion said:

if its a weekend don't be in a rush to get back from Southern Dunes. 

From exit 55 heading back eastbound toward Orlando, there is typically less traffic on weekends than weekdays as there are few people going to work. We made it yesterday from exit 55 to 62 without hitting the brakes once. That never happens on a weekday (and was admittedly better than an average weekend).

If the OP wants to linger near Southern Dunes, there is Dora's  for Italian food, Manny's for Steaks, Tortilleria La Mexicana for Mexican, Ovation for pub food and the clubhouse at Southern Dunes as good options.

Edited by sabram

1 hour ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

Best course no one ever talks about is right down the street from RSC, it is called Harmony Preserve.  One of the best layouts in ALL of Central Florida, it's hardy ever crowded, and plays very tough from the back tees.  This would be my number one recommendation because it's reasonable in price, and isn't like EVERY other course in Orlando. 

OCN is Wildy overpriced compared to RSC or Harmony for similar conditions and layout.

Harmony is okay, but would not make my top 25 list of central Florida courses. I wouldn't play it before any of the six courses on the OP's list. 

90% of Florida courses are overpriced compared to Royal St. Cloud. OCN is actually somewhat reasonably priced for its quality and compared to other courses that are in proximity to the tourist areas. OCN can be slow 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sabram said:

Harmony is okay, but would not make my top 25 list of central Florida courses. I wouldn't play it before any of the six courses on the OP's list. 

90% of Florida courses are overpriced compared to Royal St. Cloud. OCN is actually somewhat reasonably priced for its quality and compared to other courses that are in proximity to the tourist areas. OCN can be slow 

Have you played Harmony recently? It's been a month for me but was playing it every chance I got because it was so good.  I stand by what I said, there is no better choice if you want something challenging, fun, and the conditions and pace of play are better than the price you pay.  Really isn't anything comparable in the area 

Admittedly I get tired of the same old course over and over again which is what most of the resort style courses in Central Florida are

Edited by Golfinfloridaafter40

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, sabram said:

If the OP wants to linger near Southern Dunes, there is Dora's  for Italian food, Manny's for Steaks, Tortilleria La Mexicana for Mexican, Ovation for pub food and the clubhouse at Southern Dunes as good options.

We’ll be playing Southern Dunes at 10am on a Wednesday, so we’ll definitely leave early and if trafic isn’t that bad we’ll have plenty of time for range balls and chipping/putting practice… don’t know how it might be coming back at 3pm ish, and have nothing planned that evening so we’ll see how it goes from there.

on OCN, glad we got both rounds for 99$ each at 1pm - and even if it’s slow… we’ll be on vacations and get to enjoy a few rounds of golf in prime weather (as our summer season goes from may to end of October up here) - that’s how we go about it

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Any late news as we'll be there for the upcoming weekend? ... looking forward to our quick trip, 6 rounds in as many days; Celebration / OCN-Cat / Shingle Creek / Royal St.Cloud / Southern Dunes / OCN-Panther... suncreen & smiles : is the mindset

Edited by PracticeSwinger
typo

6 hours ago, PracticeSwinger said:

Any late news as we'll be there for the upcoming weekend? ... looking forward to our quick trip, 6 rounds in as many days; Celebration / OCN-Cat / Shingle Creek / Royal St.Cloud / Southern Dunes / OCN-Panther... suncreen & smiles : is the mindset

I'm in Orlando for the holiday usually and I've played all of these and say that you will have a good time. Southern Dunes is great.

• Thanks 1