2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

longest drive this season has been 368 yards, on omni interlocken resort course, Eldorado 9 hole #9 downhill downwind 529 yard par 5, tee shot is hit up over a hill so i didn't see the ball land and i don't know if it hit anything but i normally kill it on that hole just because of the wind and elevation but that 368 was the longest drive I've ever had, felt really great, hit wedge for the second shot, 20 ft away, missed the eagle putt badly, made a good 5 footer for birdie, great way to end a day on the course if you ask me ;)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longest honest drive was close to 280...i was between 25-40 yds past the 100 yd marker on a straight 350 yd par 4...shortest hole of the par 4's i think..,by honest tee shot, i mean no cart path....on that same hole a while ago i landed 20 yds to the front left of the green after my unintentional draw drive bounced 3 times on a curving cart path and landed me in the rough pretty close to the green....so that drive would be like 330 but i dont really think that counts....if it had gone straight it would be 250-260...im not very good...

• 2 weeks later...

342 yd 3 wood, striped it and with the help of hard fairways totalled out at 342.

As I was walking down the fairway when I passed the 100 yd marker I started looking around and was wondering what the heck is going on, group on the green told me it was in the rough by the green. I wouldn't even have looked up there and wouldn't have found it if it wasn't for them.

My 2 longest drives are with 3 woods -> go figure.

A few years back I had a drive that measured out to about 415, but it was a combination of the perfect storm. There was a 25-30 MPH wind straight from the back, and a cart path that went almost straight up the left side of the fairway. I hit it pure, the wind caught it, then it hit the cart path at about 350 and bounced 4 times straight up the path. It was a 430 Par 4, so I was Chipping on. Of course, I shanked the chip, and 3 putted, so it was a great looking 6. It still comes up in conversation amongst the guys playing that day.

Longest drive in fair conditions would probably be about 330 or so. At 6'7", my arms do a lot of the work.

somewhere around 315 for my normal standard ball that i get once in a blue moon. I average about 290 off of the tee. A few times with the drought making dirt into concrete and a good wind to a hole that goes down hill, drivers will lead to 9 iron in on par 5's. Ill say somewhere around 350 with a good swing and a LOT of help

Thats pretty impressive,,,, 290 average puts you in the top 25 on tour for driving distance. Only about 25 yards from 1st,,,,, go to the gym and workout for 5 or 6 good hard days and you will be hitting it past Bubba at around 315.

People that play golf so over exaggerate on thier driving distance. Not meaning just this post but you see it on here everyday. Do you know what kind of swing speed it takes to carry a ball 330? It would absolutely blow your mind. By the way,,,,, tiger averaged like 289 last year. So you got him.

Tigers average is lower because he rarely uses his driver. Im sure that guy ment his average drive with his driver was 290 not overall average. 290 is not unbelieveable i know a few people including myself who fly the ball around 290 which with a 120mph SS is not excessive. This guy might just give it a good hit, no need to bash.

Tigers average is lower because he rarely uses his driver. Im sure that guy ment his average drive with his driver was 290 not overall average. 290 is not unbelieveable i know a few people including myself who fly the ball around 290 which with a 120mph SS is not excessive. This guy might just give it a good hit, no need to bash.

What is the difference in a 290 average drive and a 290 overall average drive? An average is an average. I was not bashing this guy,,,,, might have sounded that way and if so I apoligize. How many guys do you know that have a 120 + mph golf swing? They are not everywhere I promise you. You may know a select few and may know alot that tell you they swing that hard.

• 10 months later...

I managed to max out at 280 (carry & roll) back in late Summer, 2007 using an off-the-shelf Nike Sasquatch SUMO 9.5° (stiff).

Now I'm switch between either a Nike Sasquatch Tour 460 9.5° (Diamana Blueboard 83) and can get around 260 yards max or Titleist 905R 9.5° (Graffaloy Blue) from which I get even less, maybe 245?

However, these results have been from the past 3 months when it hasn't been so warm and the fairways are quite soft...

somewhere around 315 for my normal standard ball that i get once in a blue moon. I average about 290 off of the tee. A few times with the drought making dirt into concrete and a good wind to a hole that goes down hill, drivers will lead to 9 iron in on par 5's. Ill say somewhere around 350 with a good swing and a LOT of help

Thats pretty impressive,,,, 290 average puts you in the top 25 on tour for driving distance. Only about 25 yards from 1st,,,,, go to the gym and workout for 5 or 6 good hard days and you will be hitting it past Bubba at around 315.

People that play golf so over exaggerate on thier driving distance. Not meaning just this post but you see it on here everyday. Do you know what kind of swing speed it takes to carry a ball 330? It would absolutely blow your mind. By the way,,,,, tiger averaged like 289 last year. So you got him.

Actually guys that bomb the ball aren't that rare. I have played with plenty of very athletic guys that generate some serious swing speed (mostly guys who played baseball and/or hockey in college) but they rarely find the center of the clubface and even more rarely find the fairway. 1 of 10 will be solid and straight and it will go 300+. Keep in mind the guys on tour swing for control and shot shaping, not raw power so a comparison to tour driving averages doesn't mean to much in a discussion about that one bomb some guy on here hit. That being said, I'm sure there is still some exaggeration going on here, after all, this is the internet, everyone is taller, smarter, and better looking on here!

Played a 520-yard dogleg left par 5 last week. Hit a drive over the trees on the left and had 135 to the hole. NO WAY did I hit it 385 yards. Google Earthed it later at home and it was more like 285. Even on straight away holes you can't just subtract the yardage to the green. Most holes aren't as long as they say they are. The only way you can get a true measurement is with a GPS or Google Earth or something like that.

BTW, my longest measured drive was 325 downwind, downhill a little. Verified by Google Earth. :tongue:

Played a 520-yard dogleg left par 5 last week. Hit a drive over the trees on the left and had 135 to the hole. NO WAY did I hit it 385 yards. Google Earthed it later at home and it was more like 285. Even on straight away holes you can't just subtract the yardage to the green. Most holes aren't as long as they say they are. The only way you can get a true measurement is with a GPS or Google Earth or something like that.

BTW, my longest measured drive was 325 downwind, downhill a little. Verified by Google Earth. :tongue:

Google earth is great for measuring drives.

I did something similar to you the other day. 520 yd par 5, soft dogley right, hit driver 9 iron pin high. Google earthed it later and my drive went 320 and my 9 iron 158, that leaves 42 yards, if i bunged that onto the drive like most people would then i hit it 362yds, AWESOME!

315 this season. measured with GPS. I had a TON of wind and some down hill. It only stopped because it hit some rough otherwise it would still be rolling. Although my favorite shot of this season so far was a 220 yard 7 iron on a par three! yes wind and elevated tee box.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I did something similar to you the other day. 520 yd par 5, soft dogley right, hit driver 9 iron pin high. Google earthed it later and my drive went 320 and my 9 iron 158, that leaves 42 yards, if i bunged that onto the drive like most people would then i hit it 362yds, AWESOME!

Is this heavy sarcasm working here with regards to Google-Earth? :rolleyes:

376 yards all carry as the ball was embedded.

Wasn't windy, but being coastal FL, I'd say add 20 mph wind minimum to be fair.

The Golf Club at North Hampton, Yulee, FL #12 554 yds

Ping Rapture w/VS Proto

Only remember because I broke my shaft at the hosel. Must have heeled it a bit to snap the shaft.

I've hit longer carry/rolls, but I consider carry the true mark of length that's meaningful. Water and trees don't do much for roll out!!!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Diamana PD 60TX (D3) 8GF, 18GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T24 60.12V, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Chrome Tour X

my longest still hasnt landed. ill let ya know when it comes down. probably around 425 .why do people lie whats the point. my longest is around 280 with roll and i crushed it.but for those of you with giant egos.we will call it 380 with some wind at my back cold day top flite ball.i used one of those power bilt info-mercial nitrogen filled drivers fuzzy is hocking on the golf channel. i really got ahold of that one.

Is this heavy sarcasm working here with regards to Google-Earth? :rolleyes:

Not at all. If you didn't know, as some don't, Google Earth has a ruler function up in the toolbar. Set it to yards and you can measure distances. It's pretty accurate according to sprinkler heads at courses I've played. I usually go to it after each round to see where my driving is. Great for testing drivers. You can't trust course yardages as far as subtracting distance to hole from total hole distance. This can be wildly inaccurate, especially on dog-legs. It cracks me up to hear someone say they must've hit it 340 on a bender cuz they only have 100 yards left.