All shots are fine except driver....

Ward

Why is it slicing high?
I can hit all my irons well now and can even work the ball pretty well. My most consistent club is my fairway 3 wood which has nice penetrating boring ball flight. I just got my D2 tonight and I couldn't fix my slice at all. I am keeping a pretty decent in to in swing and I am hitting up on the ball as much as I can. Is it simply that my swing isn't on the correct path that I think it's on? Or do I need to swing my driver faster since it's a stiff 62 gram?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure about this...but maybe your driver is playing too long for you? Try choking down on it, I had this problem a few weeks back. Took me a while to sort this out at the range.

I have been playing a 44.5" driver and switched to a new driver playing at 45". Started choking down on it and the the darn thing straightened out even had some slight draws when I released my hands.

I had my new driver cut to play at 44.5". Everything is all good now.

Hopefully some other guys will help out here. Not sure if the shaft being too stiff, too light, etc is giving you that slice?

Did you used to hit your old driver straight and got a slice when you got your new D2? If so it might help if you post what your old driver setup was? Did you switch from R flex to Stiff? Was your old driver closed face and the D2 square or open?

Thanks for the response.

Well, I'm all over the board right now. Only a week ago I had gotten used to a flatter swing to compensate for an over the top swing. I went back to my old normal swing which is more upright and concentrated on keeping the right elbow tucked in on the downswing so I would make good contact and so that's my old swing that I have back now. I was playing with a 975J with a stiff proforce shaft in it and I was all over with that one. My fairway is a regular flex burner. I have real good tempo and I swing slower than I am capable of. I am wondering if it might be a matter o not turning my hips, needing to choke down, bad swing path, or a combination. I'm not so worried about the face being squarish on the D2. I played with a regular Burner driver a month ago and the closed face was causing way too many draws. I just need to keep experimenting with different swings and swing speeds I guess. I only hit about 20 balls with it tonight before I almost passed out because I hadn't had dinner yet. What was your swing speed and tendencies when you had the slice problem?

My problem was half my swing and the other half was the equipment.

I started with a 9.5 degree driver and switched to a 10.5 - same swing and both drivers played at 45". This switch on loft of the club turned my 40 yard slice to 20 yard slice.

I started messing with the weights on the club and put it on max draw - this lessened the slice by another 5 yards.

I choked down and viola - everything started going straight.

As far as the swing goes...in the midst of all the changes above I was fighting my tendency of coming over the top and a tendency of getting too fast on my tempo.

With my normal swing, I usually hit up on the ball and have more weight on my right foot at setup. I also continously work on keeping my right elbow tucked in like you do. This actually promotes an inside out path for me and not really about making good contact. I am paying closer attention to timing my release when I practice now. I also try to remember to start my swing with my hips so my body will turn instead of swinging with all arms - usually going over the top when I do not turn my body. My SS is about 96 and medium tempo.

I always start with blaming the equipment though... ;)

What is supposed to be the biggest difference between the driver swing and the iron swing? I can't start blaming my driver because it's brand new and I don't want to make myself think that I got the wrong one. I know it has to be a swing problem. Would not turning the shoulders and/or hips in the contact to follow thruogh cause a slice? I was happier when my shots were a draw with my flatter swing plane. Perhaps I need to flatten my driver back swing to compensate for the 45 inches. I'll give it another try tonight at the range with those rock balls.

Good Luck with the driver tonight.

Biggest difference with irons swing and driver swing - at least for me is I swing harder on the driver ;)

Being serious, you have a R flex on your 3 wood and it has more loft. Maybe get the same flex on driver and higher loft?

My SS + tempo is in between R and Stiff. I can use either but I add more lag when using the stiff flex - I end up having a more wristy swing to load up the shaft.

If you swing hard with your arms, you'll tend to disconnect your arms from your body as you swing. This opens the face and causes a high slice frequently.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

difference between driver and iron swings are the flatness of the swings and setup...

if you setup right, you've already won a small battle...the longer the club, the more weight should be on the back foot... mnaybe 65-70% with the driver, 10% with a wedge...

of course there are 100 different schools of thought on this...

easy guess is the shaft is too stiff for you....

I bet $1 you have a problem with set up... been there done that.

Irons and maybe 3-5 woods, the club head is pretty much in the middle of your stance, shoulders are square, or perpendicular to target. If the ball is forward, it's not as drastic as the driver, hence leaving the shoulders still mostly square.

With the driver, you move the head forward in your stance, to your front ankle, right? If you do not shift your weight correctly, change your spine angle correctly, your shoulders will be open at address (shoulder will have moved counter clockwise, or back, for a rightie), setting you up for a SLICE.

Take a look and let us know...

Easy fix is set up with your driver, ball at front ankle, place flub head between feet, center (like an iron). Feel your shoulders, how they're square, parallel to line, perp to target. Then move your club to set up to meet the ball, without moving your shoulders laterally. You will need to drop your back shoulder to accomodate, like a pendulum, to keep the club head on the same plane.

Good luck!

What is supposed to be the biggest difference between the driver swing and the iron swing?

I'm no expert but I used to have the same problem. When I'm hitting my irons I like a forward shaft lean at impact, hitting down on the ball. This meant my hands were ahead of the ball at impact. But as the clubs got longer (especially the driver) having my hands forward of the ball at impact usually = an open face because the swing is more around than down. High and right every time.

I'm learning that while I've been able to hit my irons with it very well, my swing is not quite correct. I'm working on it and have also shortened the length of my driver shaft and have become much more efficient with my game off the tee. Unfortunately, it's like I'm starting over with my irons now- especially my short game.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Irons and maybe 3-5 woods, the club head is pretty much in the middle of your stance, shoulders are square, or perpendicular to target. If the ball is forward, it's not as drastic as the driver, hence leaving the shoulders still mostly square.

With the driver, you move the head forward in your stance, to your front ankle, right? If you do not shift your weight correctly, change your spine angle correctly, your shoulders will be open at address (shoulder will have moved counter clockwise, or back, for a rightie), setting you up for a SLICE.

Easy fix is set up with your driver, ball at front ankle, place flub head between feet, center (like an iron). Feel your shoulders, how they're square, parallel to line, perp to target. Then move your club to set up to meet the ball, without moving your shoulders laterally. You will need to drop your back shoulder to accomodate, like a pendulum, to keep the club head on the same plane.

Good luck!

I had two of my friends who are pretty good at golf watch my swing tonight. I hit maybe 3 perfectly straight out of about 40 drives. You are correct that my setup was off. They were able to point out that my shoulders were open even if my feet and hips might have been lined up. I line the ball up with the inside of my left(front) ankle also, and have a slight back spine tilt towards my back foot with more weight on the back foot also.

Whats perplexing is that although my swing is slightly flatter than my iron swing, I still hit the slice....I mean, the flat swing should cause a draw or a straighter shot. At impact, how should the shoulders hips and legs line up? They said that my shoulders opened up too soon before impact. I'm lost and I really don't want to resort to hitting my 3 wood off all the tees on Saturday while I have a brand spankin new driver sittin right there.

Good luck!

I had two of my friends who are pretty good at golf watch my swing tonight. I hit maybe 3 perfectly straight out of about 40 drives. You are correct that my setup was off. They were able to point out that my shoulders were open even if my feet and hips might have been lined up. I line the ball up with the inside of my left(front) ankle also, and have a slight back spine tilt towards my back foot with more weight on the back foot also.

Whats perplexing is that although my swing is slightly flatter than my iron swing, I still hit the slice....I mean, the flat swing should cause a draw or a straighter shot. At impact, how should the shoulders hips and legs line up? They said that my shoulders opened up too soon before impact. I'm lost and I really don't want to resort to hitting my 3 wood off all the tees on Saturday while I have a brand spankin new driver sittin right there.

Bet your not making a full shoulder turn on your backswing.

same topic covered here

This is what worked for me and fixed my problem- similar to yours. Just my opionion, so don't hold me to it. But you may want to try it...

1. Make sure your setup is correct, as previously stated (shoulders, hips, feet all pointing in the same directing, perp to the target, parallel to the target line).

2. Take the club head back, starting with your shoulders, not the club head.

3. Take it back away, ON the target line as long as possible before you have to turn.

4. Stop your shoulder turn when your left shoulder is facing the ball.

5. You should be loaded on your right leg, but not swaying to the right. Feel like your right leg is drilling into the ground.

6. I feel like my downswing starts with my right leg slightly pushing off- like a pitcher off the mound.- Don't stay on your right foot though, weight needs to transition to the left foot.

7. For me, this triggers everything.

8. Feel like you're swinging your club to right field- hittng the ball to right field. This will promote the correct swing path.

9. Also feel like you're swinging into a straight, stiff front leg, like you're going to hit into your leg.

10. Follow through with a good shoulder turn (think if your left palm facing the target at finish)

11. Your weight should now be on your left leg.

Some drills I was taught:

1. set up like you're going to hit the ball to the right (aiming right). However, swing so you hit the ball straight. (right leg is dropped back, swing normal, but try and hit the ball straight ahead, instead of right)

2. swing with one leg (left leg). Put your right leg directly behind your left leg, get balanced, swing. This will show you the correct follow through.

These are just ideas that worked for me. Try if you want... Good luck!

Tempo -slow it down at the top and from the top

44.5 inch driver

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. Now I have a lot of things to try again tonight.

iseekabetterswing: I am unsure of my backswing and how far my shoulder rotates. Your tip made me think how I feel like I am using too much of my arms to get that last bit of backswing instead of turning my shoulders. I feel that way because my left shoulder feels like it's being pulled out of its socket sometimes. I've shortened my backswing on practically every club also to control my ball striking consistency.

As far as swing plane goes, I am 6'3" so my dad told me that my swing plane shouldn't have to be as flat as it could be.

So from what I gather, it seems like shoulders and hands and clubhead need to be square to target at impact? If that's the case, I'm sure my shoulders are opening too early....Do I need to turn the clubface closed after impact while in my follow through? I know that with irons, it's natural for the face to open through backswing and square at impact and close through the follow through. I'm pretty sure it's not a weight shifting problem but mostly a timing thing. If my digital cam wasn't broken I'd post a clip.