2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf course photography/videography/drones?

I am a real estate photographer and videographer, but I find in my work I get a bit of free time. And lately I have been thinking of using my equipment and knowledge as well as my love for golf to find some side work. I swear, I could spend hours on instagram just scrolling, looking at course fly overs with the drone and really well done photography. I have slightly got an itch to experiment with it. So if anyone here has or currently does this I would love to pick your brain and hear your thoughts on it! Thanks!

6 hours ago, mc2 said:

Following. I work in video here in Australia and have contemplated the same thing

Good to hear others are thinking the same things as I! To me, it feels as if most of the course photos when I go on golf now/club website's are just not so good. I would think they could really benefit from having some captivating photos or video for all of their online platforms. I started sending a couple of my favorite local clubs an email stating I would take love to take some advertising photos and videos of their course for free rounds of golf! 😅 I figured I could start there and maybe my name would get around.

4 hours ago, Wesley-B96 said:

Good to hear others are thinking the same things as I! To me, it feels as if most of the course photos when I go on golf now/club website's are just not so good. I would think they could really benefit from having some captivating photos or video for all of their online platforms. I started sending a couple of my favorite local clubs an email stating I would take love to take some advertising photos and videos of their course for free rounds of golf! 😅 I figured I could start there and maybe my name would get around.

Yes exactly, I can see one or two good photographers here in Aus but they are just doing it for artistic purposes, not commercially (ie. they have a full time job in another area, but play golf and take photos while they play) and I've seen a lot of courses with flyover videos, BUT a big gap in the market where nobody is doing tasteful and high quality general photography that courses can use for advertising and a variety of other purposes, plus a big gap in general in all other kinds of video besides flyovers. Even if there are a few people out there doing this idea already, I certainly not coming across their work in my extended area. I was thinking of using my home course as a trial (do it for free), then use the examples to market the work to other golf courses (at full fees). Check back in and let me know if you get any work from your emails!

1 hour ago, mc2 said:

Yes exactly, I can see one or two good photographers here in Aus but they are just doing it for artistic purposes, not commercially (ie. they have a full time job in another area, but play golf and take photos while they play) and I've seen a lot of courses with flyover videos, BUT a big gap in the market where nobody is doing tasteful and high quality general photography that courses can use for advertising and a variety of other purposes, plus a big gap in general in all other kinds of video besides flyovers. Even if there are a few people out there doing this idea already, I certainly not coming across their work in my extended area. I was thinking of using my home course as a trial (do it for free), then use the examples to market the work to other golf courses (at full fees). Check back in and let me know if you get any work from your emails!

Could not agree more! I see a few of the big name guys like Jon Cavalier mentioned above and they seem to travel all over the world so the situation for you and I vs him is quite different. But you have to start somewhere, ay! But I will for sure keep you updated on what I found to work and not work. 

• Like 1

I don't do videos or drones, but I have taken photos of more than 700 courses in 48 U.S. states and 13 countries as I've played my rounds. They are really just for my personal enjoyment as a hobby and I'm only interested in seeing courses from the golfer's perspective so really no interest in drone footage. I think that could be a difference in generational views (I'm a senior).

A number of mine have been published in books (including Tom Doak's Confidential Guide Vols 1 and 2 and Top 100 courses of Great Britain & Ireland), magazines, research papers, course adverts, calendars and websites. A few artists have used my pix as a model to paint courses they haven't visited, and from time to time people have asked for prints to hang in their offices or man-caves.   A few have been used without my permission. I found a couple of mine on a hotel website when I was visiting the website to make a reservation. I've never tried to monetize them. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Here's a link to my Flickr site. It gets a couple thousand views most days: Sabram's golf course pix

Larry Lambrecht is probably the most successful golf course photographer. His work is gorgeous. He has professionally photographed hundreds, if not thousand, of courses for their websites, promotional materials, magazines and books. He also sells prints. Here's a link: L Lambrecht

• Thanks 1

See if you can get a couple of gigs photographing scrambles and benefit events with a drone. 

image.png.f1f38fd30004e8b735a7b56b59d04786.png

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

8 hours ago, sabram said:

I don't do videos or drones, but I have taken photos of more than 700 courses in 48 U.S. states and 13 countries as I've played my rounds. They are really just for my personal enjoyment as a hobby and I'm only interested in seeing courses from the golfer's perspective so really no interest in drone footage. I think that could be a difference in generational views (I'm a senior).

A number of mine have been published in books (including Tom Doak's Confidential Guide Vols 1 and 2 and Top 100 courses of Great Britain & Ireland), magazines, research papers, course adverts, calendars and websites. A few artists have used my pix as a model to paint courses they haven't visited, and from time to time people have asked for prints to hang in their offices or man-caves.   A few have been used without my permission. I found a couple of mine on a hotel website when I was visiting the website to make a reservation. I've never tried to monetize them. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Here's a link to my Flickr site. It gets a couple thousand views most days: Sabram's golf course pix

Larry Lambrecht is probably the most successful golf course photographer. His work is gorgeous. He has professionally photographed hundreds, if not thousand, of courses for their websites, promotional materials, magazines and books. He also sells prints. Here's a link: L Lambrecht

Thanks for all the info! I took a gander at your flickr. You have a very nice portfolio! I use flickr as well for a lot of my real estate content so I will be sure to keep up with your profile.