2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

GPS versus Laser - My Take

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too once owned a skycaddy.Never again.RUBBISH! is about all I can think to say to not get my post banned.It's a scam.You have to pay for subscriptions if you want to add courses {unless you play the 4 or 5 courses} every time.I dont. I travel and play many many courses.I then bought a bushnell "el cheapo" for about $150 thr Dicks.Much,Much better but it would still pick up other things if you were dead locked it.After selling that one also, I decided to do what I should have done in the first place.I bought the "golf specific" pinseeker 1500 slope edition.Simply the best.The absolute easiest unit to use.Everything else is a waste and is junk! Just look on the PGA tour like the earlier poster said.You wont see many {if any} sky caddies.Natalie Gulbis looks good with it and thats where they trick you.You start looking at those legs and boobs and say "hell yeah,Ill take one".When sobriety hits, you'll go get the pinseeker 1500.The 1500 tournament edition was $449 thru dicks and the best money Ive ever spent.Damn that new driver if you dont know how far to hit it. WORD!!

Laser finder all the way. Takes a replacable 9 volt battery, is more accurate. you can instantly shoot the front of the green, or top of the front bunker, then the flag. I find it the most useful inside 120 yds when i'm looking at partial wedge shots, instantly ascertaining the front edge and yardage to the pin. It saves me 2-4 strokes a round. GPS units are not as reliable. We took 3 sky caddies out, and the each read a different yardage by 1 yard at 140 yd. when you factor in their plus/minus 2 yd disclaimer, thats 30 feet!!!!

only time it hurts you is if theres a blind pin, but you can still shoot trees next to the pin and get closer yardage in my opinion.

Hope this is clean enough to not get deleted... just trying to help people spend their $ 300 bucks wisely.

I have the pinseeker with slope (which is not legal for tourny play) and love it. The only problem is that everyone I play with wants me to give them a read from their ball. So I go from ball to ball all day. I do have a standard gps that I carry just so I know how far I walk in a day. I can't wait till they add a wind feature next.

I have the pinseeker with slope (which is not legal for tourny play) and love it. The only problem is that everyone I play with wants me to give them a read from their ball. So I go from ball to ball all day. I do have a standard gps that I carry just so I know how far I walk in a day. I can't wait till they add a wind feature next.

If you dont mind giving your partners yardages all the time this wont apply.I dont particularly like it.I did'nt drop $400 on a range finder so players in my group wouldnt have to.Also, to give a "competitor" a yardage is illegal.Only your partner if you are playing team golf.After a couple of weeks running around to everyones ball to give them yardages I said to heck with this.Go get yer own!I have the 1500 slope edition but cant figure out the slope part of it.Im happy as long as I get a correct yardage reading.Still, the skycaddy is the most overrated,over advertised,over priced piece of junk Ive ever used.I sold it to my homie Kevin and he uses it religiously but he always comes up 5 yards short or 5 yards long.The GPS units just are not as accurate and precise as the laser finders.On a funny note,on my way home from my club Im on the interstate for about 15 minns. and Ill take mine out and shoot oncoming cars.The laser part of their radar detector goes off and their front bumper almost hits the ground as they just locked down their brakes.I love it!! Now that IS funny!!If any of you guys use radar detectors like me {passport 8500} go around to the front of your car and shoot the winshield and listen to your detector go haywire.Like my mom said: "An idle mind is the devils workshop". Still funny as hell though.

I think when you say that giving a competitor a yardage is illegal, I believe you are incorrect. It is ok to give facts of a course such as location of a bunker, where a hidden creek is located, etc. Just not advice about what club to play or where to hit the ball.

As long as you stick with facts of the course and not advice, you are fine.

I'm not sure if they must ask you first for the yardage, or if you can volunteer it before they ask. But I know for sure it is ok to share this information. If you check the usga website and the rullings, you can verify this.

I think when you say that giving a competitor a yardage is illegal, I believe you are incorrect. It is ok to give facts of a course such as location of a bunker, where a hidden creek is located, etc. Just not advice about what club to play or where to hit the ball.

I'm not sure if they must ask you first for the yardage, or if you can volunteer it before they ask. But I know for sure it is ok to share this information. If you check the usga website and the rullings, you can verify this.

You are correct sir. The rule changed last year. Giving yardage is within the rules.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Here is is:

Rule 8-1

Asking Distance Between Objects

Q. A player asks his opponent or fellow-competitor the distance from one object (e.g. his ball or the teeing ground) to another object (e.g. the putting green, a water hazard, or a bunker). Is he considered to be asking for advice and in breach of Rule 8-1?

A. The distance between any objects is considered to be a matter of public information and therefore not advice. As this information is not advice, it may be exchanged without restriction. (Definition of "Advice" and Decision 8-1/2)

Here is is:

Rule 8-1

Asking Distance Between Objects

Q. A player asks his opponent or fellow-competitor the distance from one object (e.g. his ball or the teeing ground) to another object (e.g. the putting green, a water hazard, or a bunker). Is he considered to be asking for advice and in breach of Rule 8-1?

A. The distance between any objects is considered to be a matter of public information and therefore not advice. As this information is not advice, it may be exchanged without restriction. (Definition of "Advice" and Decision 8-1/2)

:good: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

You are correct sir. The rule changed last year. Giving yardage is within the rules.

Kevin

I stand corrected. I did not know the rules had been changed.With the rule change, does that obligate me to give them yardages if they ask?I assume I cant hand them the range finder though??Would'nt that be the same as lending a club? Also, if asked, is there a penalty for giving an incorrect yardage?I know that would be unethical at the least.Usually when we have 4, we play "best ball" and have a few bucks on the round.Thanks for the update on the rules change.I should re read my rule book every year when the USGA sends it to me.