Why do golfers resist the obvious?

mcgroup53

Clubs that fit, not clubs that fit an image
I guess I will never understand why so many golfers focus on the brand image, the marketing hype, the celebrity golf endorsement to the utter detriment of their game. Everyone swing the club differently. Everyone stands over the ball differently. Everyone's body is different.

So why do we insist on squeezing ourselves into off-the-rack irons, drivers, wedges and putters? Getting fit to the right shaft, the right lie angle and loft, the proper grip size - all these make HUGE differences in how we strike the ball.

But again and again, we go for the wrong club, the wrong flex, the wrong launch angle and spin. Is it the ego boost of having a brand name in the bag, the latest toy? I suppose it is. But The Game is hard enough without handicapping ourselves with ill-fitting equipment. Better an aftermarket head on my driver following a professional fitting that the "hot combo" setup anyway.

Just my opinion. Probably too simplistic ...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I will never understand why so many golfers focus on the brand image, the marketing hype, the celebrity golf endorsement to the utter detriment of their game. Everyone swing the club differently. Everyone stands over the ball differently. Everyone's body is different.

So why do we insist on squeezing ourselves into off-the-rack irons, drivers, wedges and putters? Getting fit to the right shaft, the right lie angle and loft, the proper grip size - all these make HUGE differences in how we strike the ball.

But again and again, we go for the wrong club, the wrong flex, the wrong launch angle and spin. Is it the ego boost of having a brand name in the bag, the latest toy? I suppose it is. But The Game is hard enough without handicapping ourselves with ill-fitting equipment. Better an aftermarket head on my driver following a professional fitting that the "hot combo" setup anyway.

"Brand Name" clubs can be fit as well as "Aftermarket" clubs.

"Aftermarket" is no better or worse than "Name Brand." The club still needs to fit you AND it need to be well designed.

You may be to simplistic but the facts are there is no reason to have more than a lie test, flex, and length the rest of the so called tests do nothing for 95% of the golfers and there is no proof that any of it works for the masses period.

I guess I will never understand why people come onto golf equipment boards, the one place where a high percentage of golfers actually get fitted, and tell me to do something that I have already done.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I agree that a lot of guys buy equipment with thier hearts not thier heads. Too unforgiving head design, too stiff of shafts,too low of loft. On the other hand I think one can get a decent basic fitting of LLL,shaft flex,head design in most GOOD golf /pro shops. Unless one has unique physical stats,ie height ,etc most could find what they need "off the rack" providing there is ample selection,good basic fitting advice,and are honest about thier ability. Some of this fitting stuff has been taken to such an absurdity its laughable.

I agree that a lot of guys buy equipment with thier hearts not thier heads. Too unforgiving head design, too stiff of shafts,too low of loft. On the other hand I think one can get a decent basic fitting of LLL,shaft flex,head design in most GOOD golf /pro shops. Unless one has unique physical stats,ie height ,etc most could find what they need "off the rack" providing there is ample selection,good basic fitting advice,and are honest about thier ability. Some of this fitting stuff has been taken to such an absurdity its laughable.

+1

Not to mention, the overwhelming majority of 'club fitting' is done by people who are incompetent, ill-equipped or both. People come on and spout off about the magic of club fitting when there are probably ten times more azzhat 'club fitters' giving bad advice than improving anyone's game. Just sit around a big box and watch people get 'fit' for an afternoon.

But one of things I've learned in life is to not waste my time and energy worrying about how other people spend their money.

BTW, I'm predicting the over-under for this tired topic being brought up again is 3 days.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I think its useless to talk about how people will buy to fit an image. I'm willing to lay money on the line that virtually everyone here does to some extent. I've been trying to be open about which OEM I get my equipment from etc but I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't rather have a big-name OEM club than an absolutely no-name club even if the latter was slightly better. Just part of societal norms & conspicuous spending (not necessarily me). Imo, beating a dead horse

+1

Not to mention, the overwhelming majority of 'club fitting' is done by people who are incompetent, ill-equipped or both. People come on and spout off about the magic of club fitting when there are probably ten times more azzhat 'club fitters' giving bad advice than improving anyone's game. Just sit around a big box and watch people get 'fit' for an afternoon.

But one of things I've learned in life is to not waste my time and energy worrying about how other people spend their money.

BTW, I'm predicting the over-under for this tired topic being brought up again is 3 days.

You`re right on, there is a single item that the "club fitting will make you a scratch golfer bunch" will never speak to, "if you go to 4 club fitters you will get 4 different reccomendations on what clubs you need to play". For anything to be valid it has to be repeatable and elaborate fittings arn`t.

I'm probably the only person on earth who is a low single digit playing titleist 775s with X100s LOL. Ego isn't in my game :good:

You happen to be a person that doesn`t buy into "the flavor of the week" There`s no room on the card for what clubs we play and outside of a few that buy into all this 95+% dont give a --it

I can see both sides of the argument. I agree that a proper club fitting is essential if you want to play more consistent golf. However, that doesnt mean I would get fitted at any Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy-I simply do not trust those guys. Everytime I walk into one of those stores I always pretend like I dont know the first thing about clubs so I can see how the "caddies" operate and I always LMAO after I realize how ridiculous some of those idiots are. Furthermore, I will say that I definitely understand where you are coming from with regards to brand image. I love it when I see people refer to themselves as a Titleist, Callaway, or TaylorMade "Guy". I guess I come from a different school of thought. I play with whatever works best for me. I personally dont like Callaway drivers and hybrids but I really like their fairway metals and some of their irons. I love TaylorMade drivers but hate their wedges, hybrids and putters. But whatever. I could really care less about what other people play anyways. If someone thinks a 46" shaft is a great idea then good for them. Or, if someone thinks that swinging blades is for them even if they're a 20-handicap than thats fine too. Hell, it's what keeps the economy going. So spend away, practice hard, drink lots and lots of cold beer, and have fun. That's what golf is all about in the first place.

I have been fit for 3 drivers, spending quite a bit of money to have the clubs built. None of them worked on the golf course! I am currently using an off the rack driver and playing it quite well. My friend recently got fit for a set of i10 irons twice at the same shop, by two different people in the same week. The fitters suggested totally different specs. I plan on getting fit yet again this week, hopefully with better results.

You know, gear doesn't make that much of a difference in my game. I'm going to shoot basically the same score with off-the-rack sticks as I am with a custom fitted set (I know this from experience).

A huge percentage of golfers aren't consumed with thought about their gear. They are pretty happy with anything that works okay for them.

last summer I had a 44" TM 12* R flex in.

I'd ask people to hit it in our men's night...but not look at it - just present it too them right after they hit their t-shot so it was a grip and hit scenerio - no time to think.

They'd stripe it....and then tell me right to my face that a 12* is too much loft....and that an R flex is too soft for them.

"Results don't lie." I'd tell them to no avail.

but then again - another guy hit it and offered me whatever I wanted for it on the spot...

That has happened far less then the number of requests I get for an "extra stiff shaft" to be put into a person's 9* driver who is a 20 cap.

Oh well I guess.

I got fitted and my teaching pro said I could hit stiff shafts, but he thinks I would be better with regular flex.

Who am I to argue? If I thought I needed stiff shafts or was going to just buy them anyway, why waste the money getting fitted?

Hats off to the guys here that can hit an X shaft, but that is not me.

Fitting works and I think most fitters can do a reasonable job, much better than off the rack. The biggest problem my wife's fitter/builder has is that most men know what is right for them before he fits them. He cracks me up telling about men he has fit in soft-stepped S shafts that have "X" stickers on them. Of course they come back and tell him, "I told you I knew what I needed." Personally I give him credit for not telling them to KMA........ which I would do first :good:

Personally I have spent a lot of time and money experimenting on my own. It is amazing what very small changes in shafts can make. Simple things like spine alignment make nice changes to flight and consistency.

I'm guessing here but most folks that say it doesn't work either 1. Haven't tried it or 2. Went into a fitting with an ego ....... either way I don't see how they can speak with any intelligence on the subject.

hackin

I can see both sides of the argument. I agree that a proper club fitting is essential if you want to play more consistent golf. However, that doesnt mean I would get fitted at any Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy-I simply do not trust those guys. Everytime I walk into one of those stores I always pretend like I dont know the first thing about clubs so I can see how the "caddies" operate and I always LMAO after I realize how ridiculous some of those idiots are. Furthermore, I will say that I definitely understand where you are coming from with regards to brand image. I love it when I see people refer to themselves as a Titleist, Callaway, or TaylorMade "Guy". I guess I come from a different school of thought. I play with whatever works best for me. I personally dont like Callaway drivers and hybrids but I really like their fairway metals and some of their irons. I love TaylorMade drivers but hate their wedges, hybrids and putters. But whatever. I could really care less about what other people play anyways. If someone thinks a 46" shaft is a great idea then good for them. Or, if someone thinks that swinging blades is for them even if they're a 20-handicap than thats fine too. Hell, it's what keeps the economy going. So spend away, practice hard, drink lots and lots of cold beer, and have fun. That's what golf is all about in the first place.

Ditto me! I really could care less what someone plays.I do get a chuckle out of the guy on the course who has the full staff bag with his name on it and all current clubs and then shoots 90.For me, I just find what I like and hit well and stick with it.I dont really even look any more than a passing glance at the new stuff except for wedges and drivers.Kinda like being married and hanging out in singles bar's.If Im not in the market, then it's just a waste of time to look.But, coming from the golf business I highly encourage everyone to change EVERYTHING at least 3 times a year.And if you get fit {you should!} make sure a Class "A" golf professional does it.There is a whole area of study that they have to complete before getting their cards that deals with "properly" fitting a customer.I think Ping trains folks at their facility on how to properly fit their customers.I play my irons 1.5* flat and all wedges 2.5* flat so if I played with an off the rack set or a "rental" set,Id be all over the left side of the fairway {if on the fairway at all}.It was amazing to me what bending my irons to fit my swing did for me with nothing else changed.Just a proper fit.On that note, does anyone know if it is possible to flatten a hybrid club? I recently picked up a Taylor rescue mid 19* on ebay for about $20.I kill it but pull it.At address the toe is clearly off the ground.I do like the feel and flight of this club so far though.If I could flatten it a couple degree's it'd be a def. keeper.

Fitting works and I think most fitters can do a reasonable job, much better than off the rack. The biggest problem my wife's fitter/builder has is that most men know what is right for them before he fits them. He cracks me up telling about men he has fit in soft-stepped S shafts that have "X" stickers on them. Of course they come back and tell him, "I told you I knew what I needed." Personally I give him credit for not telling them to KMA........ which I would do first :good:

Personally I have spent a lot of time and money experimenting on my own. It is amazing what very small changes in shafts can make. Simple things like spine alignment make nice changes to flight and consistency.

I'm guessing here but most folks that say it doesn't work either 1. Haven't tried it or 2. Went into a fitting with an ego ....... either way I don't see how they can speak with any intelligence on the subject.

hackin

I can only speak for myself - here is how my fitting session went. First off, I went into it with a COMPLETELY open minded. In fact I was sort of geeked to get a set of custom clubs that fit MY swing.

It was a joke. I hit WAY to many club combos over 90 minutes, all from the same component manufacturer. Then he gave me sell job to buy a whole set of custom clubs because my clubs were junk.

Believe me, there are just as many custom fitting horror stories from incompetent jackazzes as 'people with an ego who just don't get it.

I have gotten a few recommendations from WRXers for local guys to try. Believe me, I would LOVE to find someone who was knowledgable and could help me out. But those guys are few and far between.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

hackin

I can only speak for myself - here is how my fitting session went. First off, I went into it with a COMPLETELY open minded. In fact I was sort of geeked to get a set of custom clubs that fit MY swing.

It was a joke. I hit WAY to many club combos over 90 minutes, all from the same component manufacturer. Then he gave me sell job to buy a whole set of custom clubs because my clubs were junk.

Believe me, there are just as many custom fitting horror stories from incompetent jackazzes as 'people with an ego who just don't get it.

I have gotten a few recommendations from WRXers for local guys to try. Believe me, I would LOVE to find someone who was knowledgable and could help me out. But those guys are few and far between.

Out of curiosity, where did you have all of this trouble getting fit?Unless you wanted to change the lofts of your irons, having the lie angle adjusted is about all you can do besides being fit for the proper shaft.Did you go to a "Class A" golf professional.Also, what kind of components was this salesman trying to sell you? Reason I ask is that there are some really good club heads out there {Golfsmith,Snake Eyes} but there is also some junk out there.If you get a crappy head {and there is a difference!} you may not be able to bend it easily and it may not STAY bent the way you would like.Some cast clubs {like mine} are easy to bend but the easiest are forged club heads.Also, about 10 minn. on a launch monitor would tell you what the ideal loft of your driver should be for maximum distance {This would probably shock a lot of us} and what your swing speed is with a good "firm" swing.Not trying to kill it by swinging as hard as you can.Then about 5 minn. on a "lie board" would tell you if they are good "off the rack" or if they should be bent.Someone who is BSing you around should be pretty obvious I would think??

Hope you were able to get someone who is knowledgeable to do a good job for you.Having properly fit clubs is like night and day.

Also, telling you your clubs were junk was totally unprofessional.How does he know you didnt buy those from him or his store?Id have walked out right then.There are too many "good people" out there that want to earn your business and wont treat you like that.When I was in golf retail I was always complimentary of others equiptment and there swing if they were demo'ing a club in the net.Even if they had a bad swing and their clubs were 10 year old Northwesterns I wanted them to take a positive shopping experience with him.Whether he bought that day or not.Sadly, good customer service is hard to find anymore.

I gave up on the ego thing about a month ago. I'd been playing my mizuno mp33s for five years, telling myself, "this is the year I practice every week."

yeah, right.

I traded in my ego for some i10s and I feel one thousand times better. Compared to any other muscle back, or "players club", the pings are stupid easy to hit. stupid easy.

just thought I'd vent.