2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

My new swing speed after a year of working out...

Laz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 31 now and I started hitting the gym in January 2007 for the first time in my life.

according to my plan I worked out 96 times during those 15 months up until now.

Did weights and lot of stretching and even yoga.

Lost aprrox 20 pound fat and gained 10 pounds of muscle

Now the winter break is over, i had a few sessions with my pro and my swing is good.

I feel stronger than ever with more control an balance thoughout the swing. I feel my muscles supporting my swing, a feeling that is new to me.

Now it was time to take a look the launch monitor.

Old average swingspeed before working out: 104 mph

New average swingspeed: 107 mph

What?? Thats all?? a grand total of three mph more? Great!

The launch monitor isn't lying. My distances are virtually the same as they ever have been.

did i do something wrong or is that all i can expect after a year?

You MUST do golf specific training..........and CORE training.......and golf SWING specific training......and how much your speed improves will vary on YOUR swing technique too....... :D

I understand what you are saying. And like I said you are doing great so far. If money for a trainer is a concern I highly suggest buying and living by a book called "body for life" by bill phillips. It not only intensively covers a highly efficient time manageable work out that is constantly changing with your body, but covers diet and lifestyle aspects as well (like how to find time to go to the gym) You only spend 4 hours total in the gym each week, but it is an intense four hours and you feel and look great. I'm 6'2 190 with 5% body fat, and I owe it all to the trainings in that book. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips logan. The amazon order for the book is placed!... let's see if Mr. Phillips can do it for me too... 5% body fat... not bad :shok:

Get together with a golf fitness professional (I also recommend Titleist Performance Institute - TPI - Certified) who can evaluate your physical components in relationship to the golf swing. Good Luck!

No TPIs here in Germany... bummer

You MUST do golf specific training..........and CORE training.......and golf SWING specific training......and how much your speed improves will vary on YOUR swing technique too....... :shok:

man... i need a 30 hour day... but i already put some core stuff in my regimen. Turns out i have a rather weak core... gotta work on that.

Well at least you'll look good in your new golf shirts! :wacko:

Not to mention that i need a whole new wardrobe after loosing all that fat. right now i got the freddy couples look on all my shirts. and pants.

I understand what you are saying. And like I said you are doing great so far. If money for a trainer is a concern I highly suggest buying and living by a book called "body for life" by bill phillips. It not only intensively covers a highly efficient time manageable work out that is constantly changing with your body, but covers diet and lifestyle aspects as well (like how to find time to go to the gym) You only spend 4 hours total in the gym each week, but it is an intense four hours and you feel and look great. I'm 6'2 190 with 5% body fat, and I owe it all to the trainings in that book. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips logan. The amazon order for the book is placed!... let's see if Mr. Phillips can do it for me too... 5% body fat... not bad :shok:

Get together with a golf fitness professional (I also recommend Titleist Performance Institute - TPI - Certified) who can evaluate your physical components in relationship to the golf swing. Good Luck!

No TPIs here in Germany... bummer

You MUST do golf specific training..........and CORE training.......and golf SWING specific training......and how much your speed improves will vary on YOUR swing technique too....... :shok:

man... i need a 30 hour day... but i already put some core stuff in my regimen. Turns out i have a rather weak core... gotta work on that.

Well at least you'll look good in your new golf shirts! :wacko:

Not to mention that i need a whole new wardrobe after loosing all that fat. right now i got the freddy couples look on all my shirts. and pants.

Well fortunately when you open the book to the inside and outside covers you will see that the book definitely works. If it works for you is determined by if you work for yourself. The great thing about it is it is very simple and can be completed with simple free weights and simple cardio routines. So pretty much any gym in the world will be able to accomodate this work out. I wish you the best of luck and appreciate you taking my advice.

One side note. Slice Fixer is right. If you notice this book is called body for life and not body for golf. Following the program will get you in incredible shape for living your life the best you possibly can. Once you have achieved a body for life and you want to focus more on your golf swing, you will be able to supplement some work out days for golf specific work out days to help build your swing speed. Again best of luck and any questions about the program feel free to PM me. Take Care!

This worked for me, I got my driver speed from about 88 to 115 from Aug '07 to present:

1. I have a total gym at home that I use and it contains some exercises that are specific to golf. Mostly core related but some back and shoulder exercises too (posterior delts, mid-traps, trunk-twists, etc.). I do this occasionally with moderate resistance.

2. I stretch to get more flexible and to have a greater turning arc. I do a lot of laying on my back with my legs up together and bent like I'm sitting and I let them fall to either side and I do 20sec reps until I barely feel the stretch anymore.

3. I have a weighted swing trainer. I actually practice the motion, temp and speed of my swing with it. I sometime do a pendulum swing so as to force my turn even further. This is both the backswing and follow-thru.

4. I work on making my swing more natural. I try to remember the path my swing takes that my body resists the least.

This is really all about muscle memory. When you body gets use to a particular routine, force, and dynamic, it becomes quite efficient at it. Its not totally about strength. I know I can gain a little more speed as well.

One Note concerning Body for Life: I've done this program for 4 years and its great particularly if you wish to change how you LOOK. It focuses only on building major muscle groups in a one hour intense workout 3x a week with weights followed by 20min HIIT cardio (sprint/jog intervals) 3x 3 other days of the week with 1 day to rest/eat whatever you want. It definitely works but its not for golf.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

You spend 4 hours a week in the gym and have the same body fat % as a top professional bodybuilder when he is in competition mode? That is either the most crazy genetics ever or bs

yeah, great job with your new body and all but you should also work on your flexibility too, if you have all those muscle groups toned in and are stiff as a board you can't gain any swing speed at all! I work on my flexability before and after i worked out it really helps me get those key positions and keep lose, not to mention much less risk of tearing or pulling a tendon or muscle during your workout. I can now get a full shoulder turn and that helps me release towards the ball w/ more energy. just a tip :wacko:

You spend 4 hours a week in the gym and have the same body fat % as a top professional bodybuilder when he is in competition mode? That is either the most crazy genetics ever or bs

Yes, and it is a very grueling and efficient 4 hours. The entire point of the program is to reach a high level of intensity in those four hours that is equivalent to double or triple that of a more lazy routine (i.e. 2 -3 minutes between sets, lounging talking at the gym, lots of sets of similar weight with no real increase in intensity, running on the treadmill at 6mph for 1 hour.....etc...) Also it is my understanding that the bigger the body the more fat it naturally has. I am long and lean. Some of the guys I work out have much more bulk than me, look more ripped than I do, and have a considerably higher body fat percentage. When I was 19 and very much into running (trained for a marathon) my body fat percentage was down to 3.9%.

I'm 6'2 190 with 5% body fat, and I owe it all to the trainings in that book. Good luck!

Either you have great genetics, a crazy strict diet, an inaccurate bodyfat reading, or you're lying.

You both mentioned genetics. If I eat what I want and don't work out I get fat like everyone else. Before I started this program my body fat percentage was 16%. After 16 months of lifting with high intensity and doing HIIT cardio, hitting the gym 6 days a week it has dropped down to 5.6%. Sorry I did not round up, would that have made you feel better? Some might call it a crazy strict diet, I simply call it eating properly. I strictly eat properly, but its just eating properly none the less. If you go by that book, and really stay motivated and do it by the book, you won't believe the results you can see in a short period of time.

I'm 6'2 190 with 5% body fat, and I owe it all to the trainings in that book. Good luck!

Either you have great genetics, a crazy strict diet, an inaccurate bodyfat reading, or you're lying.

You both mentioned genetics. If I eat what I want and don't work out I get fat like everyone else. Before I started this program my body fat percentage was 16%. After 16 months of lifting with high intensity and doing HIIT cardio, hitting the gym 6 days a week it has dropped down to 5.6%. Sorry I did not round up, would that have made you feel better? Some might call it a crazy strict diet, I simply call it eating properly. I strictly eat properly, but its just eating properly none the less. If you go by that book, and really stay motivated and do it by the book, you won't believe the results you can see in a short period of time.

lol @ "Sorry I did not round up, would that have made you feel better?". No need to get all mad and super defensive. What method of bodyfat testing did you use? Good job on your progress........bad job on the attitude.

For males, even at around 12% bf there's a good amount of muscle definition....so if your stats are true (this is strictly going by your stats without seeing a picture), your physique would be insanely shredded - comparable to a competitive bodybuilder. If you're telling the truth, then there's NO way you could've maintained 5% for very long.

So take a look at this. Which physique resembles your own the most, in terms of muscle definition and bodyfat (or lack thereof)?

lol @ "Sorry I did not round up, would that have made you feel better?". No need to get all mad and super defensive. What method of bodyfat testing did you use? Good job on your progress........bad job on the attitude.

For males, even at around 12% bf there's a good amount of muscle definition....so if your stats are true (this is strictly going by your stats without seeing a picture), your physique would be insanely shredded - comparable to a competitive bodybuilder. If you're telling the truth, then there's NO way you could've maintained 5% for very long.

So take a look at this. Which physique resembles your own the most, in terms of muscle definition and bodyfat (or lack thereof)?

I wouldn't call my post "all mad" or "super defensive". You simply got a little shot in response to your first post, which wasn't exactly what I would consider cordial or pleasant. I'm sure you can handle it. As far as methods of body fat testing I've only ever considered calipers accurate. They have a girl at my gym that does them. They have those electric hand held ones but I never considered them to give accurate information. Thanks for accolades. As far as not maintaining it for very long. Well I've never been in this kind of shape with this amount of muscle so it is new territory for me. My mom is a chiropractor and nutrionist and is on my case to get my body fat back to 10%. I have somewhat of an addictive personality, and whatever I do, I like to do it as much as possible. But I don't see getting any thinner having any benefit so I will probably take her advice. As far as your picture thing, I would say I look something like between ripped and defined but in my opinion those guys are bigger. If using those pictures as the end all on body fat, then I would have to say that mine is higher than 5%.

I wouldn't call my post "all mad" or "super defensive". You simply got a little shot in response to your first post, which wasn't exactly what I would consider cordial or pleasant. I'm sure you can handle it. As far as methods of body fat testing I've only ever considered calipers accurate. They have a girl at my gym that does them. They have those electric hand held ones but I never considered them to give accurate information. Thanks for accolades. As far as not maintaining it for very long. Well I've never been in this kind of shape with this amount of muscle so it is new territory for me. My mom is a chiropractor and nutrionist and is on my case to get my body fat back to 10%. I have somewhat of an addictive personality, and whatever I do, I like to do it as much as possible. But I don't see getting any thinner having any benefit so I will probably take her advice. As far as your picture thing, I would say I look something like between ripped and defined but in my opinion those guys are bigger. If using those pictures as the end all on body fat, then I would have to say that mine is higher than 5%.

All I did in my first post was state my opinion, calling you out on such a funny claim. You, feeling the need to say, "Sorry I did not round up, would that have made you feel better?" shows how defensive you became. Yes, I lost lots of sleep over you not rounding up a few numbers. I am a jealous fat kid who'd kill for such a hot body and low bodyfat like you. And I just noticed in your post on the top of the page where you said you were once at 3.9%. Had to laugh at that one man.

Anyway, don't be mad because I called you out :). But enough of this.

Calipers aren't very accurate. They're alright done with a 9-point test performed by a skilled and well-practiced individual. However, they still have about a 3-5% error. Only real accurate measures are x-ray, bodpod (air displacement) and hydrotatic weighing (water displacement).

Numbers don't matter anyway, so this argument is useless. So long as you're happy with your progress and your new body, all is well. :clapping:

Sorry to be doubtful of your bf % buy if you were 5% you would barely be able to drag yourself to the computer to write this, I have been involved in bodybuilding for years and I know that unless properly tested(by underwater weighing) you are at least 5% more than you say. If you were 5 % for example you would be leaner than all the guys on the cover of menshealth and 3-4 pecent leaner than a NFL DB. I am not trying to put you down just shed some light on how inacurate 99.9% of bf % claims are.And for all who are interested body for life is a fairly good intermediate guide but if you are really serious you should check out "Burn fat feed the muscle"

• 1 month later...

i am 24 years old, a year ago i was 6'2 275 lbs but really athletic and coordinated, i went on a diet and exercise program and have lost 105 lbs, im now 6'2 170 lbs, my swing speed was around 118-122 with drives from 280-320, after losing all the weight nothing has changed in my swing speed or distance, it is the exact same thing, but my stamina when walking the course is so much better, i dont sweat as much or get as tired, i would keep working out for your health and conditioning but maybe find different things to help increase your swing speed, like those weighted clubs or something, youll increase if you keep at it

and for anyone reading this who wants to lose weight, im your guy, i lost 105 lbs in 6 months

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

i am 24 years old, a year ago i was 6'2 275 lbs but really athletic and coordinated, i went on a diet and exercise program and have lost 105 lbs, im now 6'2 170 lbs, my swing speed was around 118-122 with drives from 280-320, after losing all the weight nothing has changed in my swing speed or distance, it is the exact same thing, but my stamina when walking the course is so much better, i dont sweat as much or get as tired, i would keep working out for your health and conditioning but maybe find different things to help increase your swing speed, like those weighted clubs or something, youll increase if you keep at it

and for anyone reading this who wants to lose weight, im your guy, i lost 105 lbs in 6 months

That is great!!! How did you do it??

low carb diet, or actually no carb diet for that matter, i completely eliminated carbs, like my coffee in the morning was artificial sweetner and my cream was sugar free, then i would eat chicken/fish/steak/cheese/eggs which all have zero carbohydrates in them, it was crazy because i actually went a few days at a time with <5 grams of carbs each day, i would also jog atleast 1 hour a day, sometimes i was jogging 3 times a day for 30 minutes each, sometimes two 30 minute jogs, and then settled on a nice 1 hour jog per day, i also had a lot of caffeine and cigarettes lol, it wasnt very healthy but once i reached my target weight i was able to go back to my normal habits, ill jog a half hour about 4 days a week now and ive shifted more towards weight lifting

just an FYI, try going for a jog after having zero carbohydrates for 2 or more consecutive days, it is miserable, you are literally exhausted after 5 minutes into the jog, those were the fun days lol

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe