How often do / should you get lessons?

Tinymoon

First, a little about myself. I've been playing golf since last September (~7 months). When I say I've been playing golf since, I mean that I started playing on the course last September. I practiced a lot on the range before I was ready to head out. I broke 100 for the first time on new years day this year (shot a 96). Lately I've been shooting in the low 100s and couple weekends ago I completely forgot how to swing a club (got the yips) and had a horrible round. About double par on 3 holes in a row.

I read a lot of articles (online and Golf Digest) and watch a lot of videos (youtube). After reading a lot of posts on the forums, I decided I needed to take lessons. I had my first lesson last week from a PGA instructor. He was very thorough. Asked me my goals, how long I've played, other sports I've played, etc. He recorded my initial swing, my swing while doing a drill to fix the swing, and the result at the end of the 1/2 hour instruction. He even recorded himself speaking of what I need to do while playing my swing videos to burn on a CD for me to take home. He then asked me when I was free and wanted me to come in again in 1 week. I keep reading that you should take lessons every 3+ weeks in order to ingrain your swing changes in to your muscle memory. I don't think I'd want to be going weekly for about a month and then completely stop. I plan on doing a package deal of 6 lessons. The lessons in socal are pretty pricey. My lessons were $60 per half hour. After looking around at 10 instructors at the 2 driving ranges near where I live, this seems about average.

He seems like a good instructor because he taught me one main thing to work on until our next lesson. I need to shallow out my swing plane because I tend to come down to steep.

How often do you guys get lessons?

I read a similar post here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141930

but no one really answered how often a person should get lessons.

Does this sound like a good instructor? Thanks again in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you just started and welcome to the game lol, i would go fortnightly as i do. I go this regularly as i dont have chance to get back into bad habits and it just ingrains it more, i had a chat with my pro and after about 4-5 lessons were gonna hit the course together and he's gonna play at the same time so i also get to hone in on my course managment aswell.

I have only been playingevery saturaday for 14mnths and play off a H/C of 11 (uk) (4.2 USA)

As you just started and welcome to the game lol, i would go fortnightly as i do. I go this regularly as i dont have chance to get back into bad habits and it just ingrains it more, i had a chat with my pro and after about 4-5 lessons were gonna hit the course together and he's gonna play at the same time so i also get to hone in on my course managment aswell.

I have only been playingevery saturaday for 14mnths and play off a H/C of 11 (uk) (4.2 USA)

Thanks! Yah, I'm a little afraid of getting back into bad habits...or adding even more bad habits. :good:

I've been obsessed with the game ever since I started. I practice around 3-4 times a week at the range and I try to get out to play every weekend...but it usually ends up being every other weekend.

I'm always on the forums now...and all I watch at home is the golf channel. I don't understand, I'm so bad at this sport...but I'm so obsessed! Love/hate relationship.

Anyone else who's taken lessons? How often would you recommend?

I agree with the comment about regular lessons when you first start. I'd recommend weekly lessons to start with. I think the instructor also benefits as well because the more he sees you, the more he's going to remember about your swing and that'll make it easier to spot flaws and to develop a plan of what you need to work on next. After a while you can cut back to a schedule that is easier on your wallet.

Regardless of the schedule you settle on, make sure it gives you enough time to practice between lessons.

I must add that i've only started this session of lessons due to me having bad habit's, as i've only had 2 lessons since i started. I will cut them down to once a month after the habits have gone.

Hey Tiny, you been taking lessons at Stadium Golf Center? If so, wondering who is your instructor?

I've taken lesson there once and contemplating going back as I may have fallen back to my old habits. It is important to quickly ingrain the new changes and schedule a follow-up to make sure you're on the right path.

Ya I'm taking them at Stadium. How did you guess? I was debating either stadium (http://www.stadiumgolfcenter.com/) or the one in sorrento (http://www.incentivegolf.com/facility.cfm). The Sorrento range is more convenient for me because its right next to where I work, but I liked the reviews of the instructors at Stadium. Granted this is my first time taking professional lessons, it went well and I liked my instructor. I took lessons from Justin and he was a really nice guy. His explanations were easy to understand and I knew exactly what I needed to fix before meeting with him again. My 2nd lesson is this week.

Who was your instructor when you went to Stadium? Did you like him?

Try reading Bob Rotella's "Golf of Your Dreams." It lays out a pretty good path as far as balancing lessons and practice. It's kind of a road map for steady improvement. Obviously, it's not perfect but it's a good jumping off point that you can tweak to your liking.

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

Ya I'm taking them at Stadium. How did you guess? I was debating either stadium (http://www.stadiumgolfcenter.com/) or the one in sorrento (http://www.incentivegolf.com/facility.cfm). The Sorrento range is more convenient for me because its right next to where I work, but I liked the reviews of the instructors at Stadium. Granted this is my first time taking professional lessons, it went well and I liked my instructor. I took lessons from Justin and he was a really nice guy. His explanations were easy to understand and I knew exactly what I needed to fix before meeting with him again. My 2nd lesson is this week.

Who was your instructor when you went to Stadium? Did you like him?

I also got a lesson cd with audio comments, which I really like since I could always refer back to them. That would be my recommendation for anyone who wants lessons with video.

My instructor was Scott and he was very knowledgeable and quickly changed my swing for the better with grip fixes and getting my swing to bottom-out in front of the ball. He's kinda pricey ($70 per 30 min), more profession than friendly, and picked him for his one-plane background. I had friends who had lessons with Justin and heard he's a good teacher also.

I had lesson at Sorrento with pro named Brian but he seemed to teach more two-plane swing which I didn't like too much. I'd stick to the pros at the Stadium.

For me, when I was taking a series of lessons, after each lesson, it would be a few weeks before I return for my next lesson. The reason is that you need to practice what was taught in the last lesson(s). Also, one of the keys to my better ball striking is understanding what is causing a problem. Basically, understanding your swing and what type of positions it puts you in.

For instance, if I hit a shot fat, I know I didnt transfer my weight forward. If I catch it then, my tempo is too quick.

A tip I got when I first started at the range, a stranger was giving advice and we welcomed it with open arms, and it still sticks with me...every divot tells a story. No story is exactly the same. Each component of the swing is a chapter. Understanding the chapters helps you understand the story.

I just had my second lesson yesterday and now I'm a believer! I used to be kind of a skeptic about getting lessons because I thought if I studied enough books, articles, magazines, forum topics, and youtube videos while practicing and recording myself...basically do everything on my own, I would be saving a ton of money that I could put towards course fees, range fees, and new equipment. Especially because my dad went to his single digit handicap without a single lesson. I realize now tho that he is just as obsessed, if not more, AND has been studying his own swing for decades. He's basically at a point where he's pretty good about self correcting. Of course, nobody is ever perfect in golf...ever. He's just at a point where he can correct himself better than I would at this point.

So far in only 2 lessons, I noticed that initially it feels awkward tweaking my swing, but it is improving. From what many people have said, I can agree that taking weekly lessons initially and then toning it down is the best way. That way the instructor can get a good grasp of your swing and you can go back before ingraining new bad habits. Of course this depends on the amount of effort put into by the student too. You get what you put into it. I've been practicing every day between my lesson last week and my lesson this week. I think i'm going to practice just as much, but go back in 2 weeks so I can really get a good grasp and feel of what I've learned the past 2 weeks. I want to ingrain into my muscle memory what I've learned from previous lessons, so I can do them without thinking. If i'm consciously thinking about all the things i've learned on my swing, it will be overload. I hate thinking mechanical and am more a feel type of player like most. I'll then start to go biweekly for 6 lessons total (They have a 6 lesson deal). After that, I will probably go back every now and then to tweak it here and there.