2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Fit me for Graphite!

Hello all! 

I'm looking to make the move to graphite at some point this season due to some wrist and shoulder issues. I'm looking to decrease the strain on my joints. 

I'm looking for suggestions for some shafts to Demo. 

I currently use TT Score shafts in stiff. Regardless of my previous shafts I could always use a little more spin and launch from my irons. I'm not a huge hitter, hit my 7 iron around 155 total. Driver shaft is a ALDILA rogue 110MSI silver...and it feels perfect. 

I was obviously thinking of the Steelfibre i95s....but would like to hear what you all think. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Negative on Steelfiber.  They are a low launch profile.  Try Recoil, or Accra iCWT shafts.  Both are mid profile, with great feel.  

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 hour ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Hello all! 

I'm looking to make the move to graphite at some point this season due to some wrist and shoulder issues. I'm looking to decrease the strain on my joints. 

I'm looking for suggestions for some shafts to Demo. 

I currently use TT Score shafts in stiff. Regardless of my previous shafts I could always use a little more spin and launch from my irons. I'm not a huge hitter, hit my 7 iron around 155 total. Driver shaft is a ALDILA rogue 110MSI silver...and it feels perfect. 

I was obviously thinking of the Steelfibre i95s....but would like to hear what you all think. 

If you want more launch and spin, stay away from SF. MMT, Recoil, and KBS TGI will give you higher launch and spin.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Recoil or MMT.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Thanks for the info so far. I was thinking of starting with a Maltby Pro in stiff. Its 85g and apparently holds up well.   Any other experience with graphite shafts...keep it coming!

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

100% MMT, they have a variety of weights you can choose as well. Smooth feel and great dispersion.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

20 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I currently use TT Score shafts in stiff.

Based on this, I would think the Fuji Pro 95 in stiff (not Tour Spec Stiff, though) would be a good fit.  I don't think the Score is as stiff as something like DG, the Pro 95 stiff is also a bit softer than DG.  Seems a good parallel, at least in theory.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

The number 1 key to a successful transition to graphite is finding the best weight first.  Many people go too light when transitioning to graphite and the game (and experience of graphite) suffers because of it.    Don't assume that lighter is better - and that applies both for swing speed and the effect on joint and other medical issues.    The shock of impact is by far the greater contribution to joint issues than weight (for most - there can always be exceptions).  And a 115 gm graphite shaft usually gives the same amount of pain relief as a 75 gm shaft.    I believe the SCORE shafts are ~117 gm - so not sure I'd recommend going below 90 gm's when going to graphite.

Secondly, don't pick a shaft for launch and spin - it's the least important or most inconsistent contributor to that.  Pick it for feel and consistency and dispersion.   The "launch and spin" characteristic of a shaft is NOT a good reason to stay away from it or gravitate toward any particular shaft.  Get out and try anything you can get your hands on.

Steelfiber i95's - try both the Reg and stiff flex.  For  some people the 'normal' flex works well but for some others find it a bit harsh and those people might be better off dropping down a flex.

The steelfiber FC90 and FC115 are an option a lot of people overlook - a softer tip ("higher launching") option from Aerotech.    The FC115's are probably going to be the closest thing to what you're currently playing.

UST Recoils are always an option to try.  Dart 105 and  Recoil 95  - somewhere between the i95's and FC90's in stiffness feel.

Those are probably the best (IMO "reasonably priced") options for taper tip, constant weight shafts.

Some parallel tip options:

Fuji Pro 95 gm

MRC MMT 90 gm  (there are heavier 105 gm taper tip MMT's available but the there is a big jump up in price for them)

Aldila NV 95 gm is one of the more economical options that are not potentially going to be too light for you.

I would be happy staying around 100g. I don't want to go light, I generally hit better dispersion with the 115g shafts...anything. Less in steel hasn't showed any benefit to me in the past. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I would be happy staying around 100g. I don't want to go light, I generally hit better dispersion with the 115g shafts...anything. Less in steel hasn't showed any benefit to me in the past. 

Then I'd start with the Aerotech Steelfiber FC115's and the UST Recoil 110's (if you can find any - I think they're being discontinued) and see how they feel.  If you cant' find the Recoil 110's then the Dart 105's would probably be the next best bet.

Edited by Stuart_G

22 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Hello all! 

I currently use TT Score shafts in stiff. Regardless of my previous shafts I could always use a little more spin and launch from my irons. I'm not a huge hitter, hit my 7 iron around 155 total.

I assume the 7i carry is something short of 155.  That would make me question the choice of stiff, especially in the Maltby shaft.  A regular shaft may help both your launch and spin.

• Like 1

Just now, Klubster said:

I assume the 7i carry is something short of 155.  That would make me question the choice of stiff, especially in the Maltby shaft.  A regular shaft may help both your launch and spin.

Actually that's perfectly in the range for stiff flex.  Although there is no standard for flex so those recommendations aren't really that important.   Personal preference for feel is always going to be WAY more important than swing speed or distances as a selection process.

Also, softer flex generally means softer butt frequency and you need a softer tip to get more launch - assuming you have a late enough release to actually get any additional dynamic loft from the shaft (which many am's do not).   It's much better and more reliable to find a good fit for feel and dispersion and then bend the lofts if you need more launch.   Chasing launch/spin gains with shaft changes can work some times but they also frequently end up as a wild goose chase or exercise in futility.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Klubster said:

Disagree, not a Maltby person either. 

I have a lot of experience with various SF and MMT, along with some other composite.  Settled on MMT 125S, then to my current MMT 95S in new T100 3&4i and 105S in T100 5i-9i, with 7i carry 147-150 depending on my joints, and I am 70+.  Even at my age, none of the Regular flex composite shafts hold up to a fast tempo and transition.  One man's experience.  

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

The reason I do stuff...is for dispersion. I always have better dispersion with slightly stiffer shafts.  I have tried many over the years and always end up best with something in the 115gish range uncut weight, and stiff. Now something on the very stiff end, PX 6.0 or DGs300 is always too stiff...so I usually end up with a softer stiff profile.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Posted (edited)

I should also have stated I'm not overly interested in spending big bucks on super premium iron shafts....I just can't afford it at this time.  The MMts are more than I want to spend at this time. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Will echo the SF FC suggestion - they are def a better flighting choice. Tons of options from MMT too - good luck!

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec Black 5-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Haywood Signature Wedges (Black) - 50 / 54 / 58

Putter:  Scotty Newport 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I should also have stated I'm not overly interested in spending big bucks on super premium iron shafts....I just can't afford it at this time.  The MMts are more than I want to spend at this time. 

I agree the prices are getting a bit crazy but unfortunately there are no "reasonably" priced options for graphite shafts above 100 gm's.   And the best price in the 90-100 gm range are probably the Aldila NV's - which is still around $35 per shaft and doesn't give you much choice for fitting for stiffness feel.   Anything less than that is going to be in the 70-85 gm range.

Maybe start off trying the prosoft inserts in your current shafts and switch to a softer grip like the CP2, CPX or Lamkin Sonar+ and see if that's enough to help with your wrist issues.   That or keep an eye out for a set of pulls and cross your fingers that they will work.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Current iron heads are .355 or .370 hosel? 

Edited by Colej

I play Maltby heads. .370.  

Last night I found a seller locally selling a set of Steelfibres 115fc in Stiff. I'm going to shaft up a spare 7 iron head I have and report back when they arrive. 

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Another option not yet mentioned are the Rapid Taper shafts.  Varying weights, come in Reg & Stiff

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

your wrists will not be happy if you go to Steelfiber...

• Like 1

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

5 hours ago, Andygolderson said:

Very unlikely.   My wrists and hands were VERY happy to move to steelfiber (either the i-series or the FC's).  

And on top of that, the FC's series steelfibers are a completely different shaft from the i-series.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2024 at 9:55 AM, 5hort5tuff said:

I hear you.  

Composite is getting too costly.  MMT is around $75-$85 ea and Axiom is $100+ ea.  After install, that's $700++ just for shafts.

• Like 1
  • SC/CA Monterey

On 5/27/2024 at 9:26 PM, Andygolderson said:

I have been dealing with osteoarthritis in my left wrist for the last 10 years, and have played Steelfiber and now MMT for the last six years. I have to disagree.  Neither of those composite shafts are anything like my PX 6.0.

• Like 2
  • SC/CA Monterey

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 10:27 AM, Klubster said:

I would have as well until I did my graphite fitting. I carry a 32* 7 iron 165-171 yds and I was put into an X stiff shaft which I would have never considered on my own. Did not feel boardy (it was an Axiom so outside of the price range being discussed here) but the Steelfiber 125 X felt VERY boardy and the MMT just felt...weird. All about the same weight and the same "flex" (as the company labeled it, not necessarily the same CPM) but VASTLY differently feels and presumably different profiles. I was blown away at how much I could change ballflight between those....which stresses the importance of a fitting/optimization whatever you want to call it. I learned so much about my game from my last iron fitting it made (a) want to go back and replay all my rounds from the last 2 years with the right shaft/lie angle combo and (b) is probably going to have me going back through my "self-fit" bag because now I am questioning my own ability to objectively view my ballflight. Which is going to be expen$ive. It's okay, my kids will learn from my mistakes.....

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1