2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

vector launch monitor - speeds

extremeld

i was just wondering how people rate the vector launch monitor - is it widely used? does it read high?

i posted some numbers on it that seem too high at a golf show a couple of weeks back - on more than one companies machine (they were almost identical on 3 machines)

i was just wondering if often quoted ballspeeds and swingspeeds come from this machine? and what numbers people of had on various devices just for comparison

thanks

k

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with vectors is that it only reads ball speed, and then just divides that by 1.5 to give u ss. So if u want an accurate ss determinant, a vector machine probably isn't the way to go as ur smash factor will rarely, if ever, be 1.5. I hate the vector for that reason, because if u swing faster but don't catch it right it says u actually swung slower, which is just stupid.

Yeah, if ur smash factor was 1.5 then it would be correct. The vector takes two pictures of the ball, and measures how far its moved in the time between the two shots, the amount its spun (both horizontally and vertically), and the launch angle. Hence it is pretty accurate for ball speed (which sounds like wat you want extreme), but its not so good for correct clubhead speed

• 5 months later...

I have found the Vector to be the stingiest machine to hit on and the large Zelocity to be the most generous. 1.5 smash factor on a Vector will very rarely ever be achieved by a long driver. Anything over 1.46 on a Vector swinging 130+ is pretty darn good. I have seen some numbers from guys that have been top ten in the world on a Vector and the highest SF was about 1.48. Also one thing I have found out if your spin rate is really low it won't give you a true picture of what you would do on the grid. Best advice for you Kenny is to stay off machines and go mark balls with another longdriver. Numbers you get off machines are way over rated. They can either make you think you are better than what you really are or deflate our ego. You will kill yourself trying to get pefect numbers. Just grip it and rip it and you will be surprised how far you will advance in this sport.

Vector works well... ball speed and launch angle are more important than swing speed imo

I agree with you but you left off spin rate. Swing speed is overated. I found out this year that my launch angle was to low for my spin rate. Like I said I got so caught up in the numbers game I lost site of the simplicity of Long Drive, just grip it and rip it.

I have found the Vector to be the stingiest machine to hit on and the large Zelocity to be the most generous. 1.5 smash factor on a Vector will very rarely ever be achieved by a long driver. Anything over 1.46 on a Vector swinging 130+ is pretty darn good. I have seen some numbers from guys that have been top ten in the world on a Vector and the highest SF was about 1.48. Also one thing I have found out if your spin rate is really low it won't give you a true picture of what you would do on the grid. Best advice for you Kenny is to stay off machines and go mark balls with another longdriver. Numbers you get off machines are way over rated. They can either make you think you are better than what you really are or deflate our ego. You will kill yourself trying to get pefect numbers. Just grip it and rip it and you will be surprised how far you will advance in this sport.

Reason i posted this topic to start was i had gone to euro indoor pro ld event in feb - and competed with adam stacey patrick anderson etc - i was according to that machine 11 meters down on their best adam hit the longest shot of the week at 352 meters mine was 341 meters.

I worked out really hard for a couple of months (stopped now!) worked on technique as i had faults that were costing me power then went to the golf show and put up numbers i just thought were way too high on the vectors, i went on 4 different companies machines - i was easily getting over 200mph ball speed with of the rack cleveland and nike drivers - had i used a longdrive version i would have been around 215mph - really i was trying to figure if i had improved or whether the numbers were really jumped up. I put up the biggest numbers ever seen by the cleveland guys and was trying to gauge whether i had improved - think i had at the time - but been working hard to get fat and out of shape and achieved it!

TREX - you cant be serious about swinging 130mph on vector - unless all these companies had theres souped up for the day 130mph was nothing on the vector - i managed a 147mph with standard club maybe i was pumped that day i dont know? ball only went 361 according to machine.

I have come to the conclusion that these numbers were all too high and i was probably hitting real good.

I had a ss radar for comparison and the best i ever managed for 12 consecutive drives was 143.2mph

oh i know my spin rate is comically high, i cant remember the last time i saw a drive run - its 4000ish

k

Vector works well... ball speed and launch angle are more important than swing speed imo

I agree with you but you left off spin rate. Swing speed is overated. I found out this year that my launch angle was to low for my spin rate. Like I said I got so caught up in the numbers game I lost site of the simplicity of Long Drive, just grip it and rip it.

Correct, I forgot to mention spin. ;)

Kenny I'm not going to go t** for tat with you. The vector machine I was on was Dana Upshaw's and anybody that knows anything about club building knows that he is in the business to fit his clients properly and not just try to sell them clubs with JACKED up bogus numbers. Listen I can get on the machine and put up some freakish numbers myself but what good does it do. It's how do in crunch time and compare our achievements I know what its like to stand on the big stage in front of thousands because I have been there. Here is a general rule of thumb when hitting.

Swing Speed x Smash Factor = Ball Speed

Ball Speed x 1.75 = Carry Distance

Carry Distance + 5%(roll) = Total Distance

Everyone knows it's all about condition so numbers could vary.

Now you say your spin numbers are in the 4K range. Slow your SS down and concentrate on contact. You laugh at my 130+ss ;) but I would wear your 147 Word not allowed out because unlike you I make great contact with the ball and have spin rates under 2K. I'm not going to belittle another LDer on any golf forum because I try to respect all of us (expcept for IDRIVE400 jk Mike). But lets be realistic and not inflate our ego's by posting these type of numbers. Let our accomplishments and results do the talking.

yep,

i didnt laugh, i just dont follow how i got the numbers i did and that has really been the jist of this post - vector numbers were higher than other devices, anyhow i am well and truley over caring about launch monitors and was really just trying to figure whether i had improved.

the machines were at golf show run by cleveland, nike and 1 or 2 other whom i forget.

see my original post.

over and out!

k

How can you still be at that point??? Come on... Go on the outdoor grid and compete against LDers... If you are good enough, you will qualify for Euro Finals then maybe for the Worlds...

By the way, I put 165 mph swing speed on the Cleveland Vector... Am I that good? No.

Those swing analysers are not set up in the right way or cannot handle 2000 readings per day... Your swing speed might be better than the old grandpas that played before you on the launcher... But the speed isn't read efficiently...

Please, stop talking about your such high swing speed and go on the outdoor grid... You will be welcome and we will be pleased that you post great distance... More over we will congratulate you and cheer you up even if you post 255 meters... Much more than when you continue posting the same post without competing...

Hope to see you on the grid next season.

Yvan