MacGregor MT Pro C

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of forgiveness, they offer more than expected, but are still amazingly workable. I can hit any shot type with these and not worry about much loss of distance w/ a mishit.

I went the satin finish and love them, but I put some kb tours in mine. Both shafts a pretty good though. (I have a spare set for sale if you want them.. just PM me.)

Latest Update: After three more rounds and range sessions with these irons, I'm even more impressed with them. First, they set up dead square. I've noticed with other irons that some tend to roll entirely open at set up. These sit square.

The Pro-M/Pro-C both have a soft but solid feel and produce a very pleasing sound. Mis-hits are clearly evident and felt: slight mis-hits give you the proper feedback to know where you hit it on the face; big mis-hits can hurt, as they should.

Trajectory and shot-shape control are exquisite. With these irons, I can easily work the ball subtly both ways. The last shot I hit on-course was a 4 iron, 207 yards uphill into a 7-10 mph wind...Hit a penetrating soft draw that landed 10 feet short and ended up 4 feet from the hole. Wow.

At their current liquidation prices, these irons are a must have.

Adams 9015d: 9.5*, Prolaunch Red X, 45"
Titleist 915Fd: 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 X, 42.5", Set to 16*
Titliest 816 H1: 19*, Speeder Tour 8.8 X, 40.5", Set to 20*
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-P; Project X 6.0; Std Lofts and Lies
Cleveland 588: 51*, 55*, 59*, DG S-400
Ping Anser 3: 35" with Winn Midsize Pistol grip
Winn Excel Wrap midsize grips

I am really looking into these irons. I am leaning toward the satin finish rather than the gunmetal. Would like to hear people's opinions on the up's and down's of these clubs. Are they forgiving? Which shafts do you guys like in these irons? Dynamic Gold steel or the Nippon NS Pro 1150 GH steel?

I actually had heard the satin gets dull and wears quickly but I never noticed with the demo iron. I have the gunmetal Pro C and Pro M sets. The face wears a little but they look great still. I clean the backs with a gun cleaning cloth.

The heads are smaller than most and there really isn't much difference between the 2 sets. To me the Pro C is slightly more forgiving but not by much. I can still work the ball with them and like another poster said you can feel the really bad shots. For me I love the feel of them and a well struck ball feels great. I plan to mix up the set and play short iron blades and mid iron C backs.

As for shafts I tried out the Nippon first and I loved how soft they felt, but for me they were too light and I also hit the ball too high. I didn't really lose much distance but I play in windy areas and it just killed me. I went with the S300 and like it much better. I really like the look of the KB tour black nickel shafts. They would look sick with the gunmetal heads. But I think they are pricey...

Hope that helps

so can anybody hit these irons. I typically shoot in the 80s with a round in the 90s every now and then? what do you think?

Yes I agree with the duck. If you are usually in the 80s you should be good with either set, but probably the C's for sure. I like to practice with the blades ot see where my ball striking is at.

I have the Pro C gunmetals. I also got them for a great price, new. Used them a few

rounds so far. OUTSTANDING. Great feel. I actually shafted them with graphite, to see

how they feel. (bad back, knees, elbows, wrists). :black eye: . Still working with the graphite

in them, but they are most certainly staying in the bag. :drinks:

Great guys, keep it up! All this positive talk convinced me to buy my 3rd set... this time in Satin and ProM/C combo set with S300 (I have 2 sets of gunmetal with the Nippons already.) The price is just too good, got all 3 sets from the same seller on eBay. Unreal feel and workability, but the Nippons are just a touch light like most have said. I have several DG X-100 pulls laying around and will try them in one of the Gunmetal sets for kicks. I absolutely love these irons, best set since my VIP blades back in the High School days. Forgot to mention, I also got a steal on a very lightly used Macgregor White Staff bag too to bag these with... 3 sets of top-notch irons and a staff bag for under $1000... and I am set for a while now.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

OK,

Had these irons long enough to get a better feel for their ability (or mine).

I find myself having to not hit as far away from the intended target line.

The fade or draw is just not as much as the blades I was playing.

It is an adjustment not having to adjust for a large movement of the ball and just a 5 yard give in the target line.

Maybe it is the Cavity heads or the change from Rifle S shafts to DG S300 shafts but I am a lot more on target.

I am still adjusting to length issues especially on less than full shots. Been working on punch shots and that has me still short and long at times. Still more work for this summer.

I just took delivery of a set that I won off ebay. 3-PW for $215 to my door. Opened them up today and they're like brand spankin' new! Can't believe an iron of this caliber is going for so cheap! I'm very impressed with the looks of this iron. Very JNP'ish, and as you well know, JNP's were some of the best irons that were ever produced. MacGregor didn't stray too far from this classic set when they made these. I'm just now getting them ready for play by lengthening them and regripping them and hopefully I'll be able to get out this week and see how these beauties perform.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Just received both sets (1- satin / 1- gun metal) and I have to say that these are some of the best looking irons I've ever seen. And the quality doesn't end with their appearance.... I took out the gun metal set to the range yesterday and I'm hitting the ball much more on line. I'm a very high launch player anyway and these irons seem to give me even higher ball flight which could pose a problem. Each iron in the set is carrying the same distance as with my old Tourney MT's, only with higher trajectory.

I will have to wait and see how this plays out during an actual round.

For now, the set of satins will stay in the factory box as a back up set. These gun metals are just too beautiful to take out of the bag.

Clubs of this quality at this price should not be passed up.

Upon further review, these irons are MONEY!!!

Played my first full round with them today in typical windy Florida conditions and all I can say is WOW! Being able to keep the ball down at will, hit draws into left to right winds and fades into right to left..... just amazing.

A couple of shots from the day:

224 yds. into a par five - downwind from a sidehill lie - knockdown 5 iron to 12 ft. right of the hole.

198 yds. into and left to right wind - 4 iron - high soft draw to 8 ft. right of the pin.

167 yds. into a stiff wind - 7 iron - high soft fade to 5 inches short of my first ace....

I thought I was a pretty good long iron player before? These irons will make you an even better player, I promise you.

I am now considering dropping my Vokey's and picking up 50*, 54* and 58* DW's.

Go getcha some! :good:

Yep. The main thing that I notice with these irons is the feel that they have. I've played Mizuno's for the last 5 years, MP-32's and MP-14's, and I can say that these irons feel just as good as those Mizuno's and they're just as forgiving as the MP-32's and night and day compared to the MP-14's. MacGregor got it right when they made these irons.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

i've asked this a few times without any luck, anyone try to remove the gunmetal, is it plated or raw under the gunmetal

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

Need some help here guys. I just got a set off E-Bay. They are beautiful irons but upon further and closer inspection I think I may have a problem with my 9 iron or the 9 iron is correct and all the rest are wrong. The 9 iron looks perfectly fine except the cavity is deeper than all the rest of the irons. The muscle back pad is milled deeper so you can see more relief between it and the sole on the inside of the cavity. I hope I am explaining this well.

I've posted a picture of 3 of the clubs, from left to right 8,9,PW.

Could some of you people take a look at your irons and see if you have this problem too?

I'd like to keep these but I'm not sure if the deeper cavity will make a difference in feel and or flight of the ball.

Any thoughts on what should be done about this?

Thanks!

IMG_3253.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Iwas wandering if you guys can help me witha few things about these irons. Is there any feel difference in the two different finishes? Also, I am wandering what makeup to get the combo set or the musclebacks or the cavity backs.

Right now I play Titliest 704cb dsg stiff shafts. I am a 7 handicap. But I really like the look of the blades in these irons. Worst comes to worst I keep the 704s in the long irons and play the macgregor blades from there.. Any help will be much appreciated. My handicap is not vanity. I always play the tips..

Thanks fellas

pm me please...

I don't know about the finish but I have both the CB and Blades. I am an 11 index and they are both pretty easy to hit. I usually mix up my set and play the PW-8i blades and 7-4 cavity backs. I love the workability of the blades but I still need the forgiveness of the CB. Once I get down in the single digit range I'll probably just switch to the blades. If you are a 7 from the tips you won't have any trouble with the blades.

Hope that helps you.