2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

A few driving range questions for the experienced...

I've asked a ton of questions on this forum and I truly appreciate the responses and time given.

I hit the range a lot and here are a few curiousities that I've wondered about.

1. How much distance does the average range ball lack over a playing ball? I've heard a lot of ranges use altered balls to not go as far. Is this true?

2. Using mats always removes my mistakes by over half it seems. I look like a pro it seems on mats but mess up a lot more on grass. Are mats hurting my game by practicing on them? I'd say I play on mats and grass about 50/50.

3. Is it necessary to wear my golf shoes when practicing? Particularly on mats where traction isn't as needed? I'm asking because I always put on my shoes to make sure that consistency is there but it would be nice not have to worry about it if it's not going to make much of a difference.

4. As far as which clubs to use, I usually hit an few balls with each club. Is there a preferred pattern? I.e. Beginning with wedges and working my way up; only working with a few clubs per visit, etc. etc.

Any other advice about using the driving range would be great! I go about twice a week now and I'm definitely still a new hitting bogey to double bogey golf. I'm going from about 5 rounds a year to hopefully 30-40 rounds. At least until a major spine surgery I need to get in a few months. Hopefully, recovery will be fast and I can get back out there. (I'm only 29 so hopefully it won't take too long)

Thanks again to all those taking the time to educate me on this game.

Best regards,

Pete

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the balls definitely dont go as far not totally sure if they are different or just hit so many times compared to a brand new ball, mats definitely make you look like a better ball striker i would practice on grass as much as possible, i dont think its necessary to wear golf shoes i practice and play in flip flops all the time and when you practice its good to have a gameplan not just hit every club to do it but i would work my way up from wedges to the longer clubs in the bag

1. How much distance does the average range ball lack over a playing ball? I've heard a lot of ranges use altered balls to not go as far. Is this true?

The balls are geared more towards durability. They are usually one piece balls. Yes, they do take off some distance and some spin. Unfortunately I don't know a formula that will help with trying to determine how much distance and spin is lost. What I do is I keep my scuffed up balls from prior rounds and when I am nice and warmed up, I donate a few to the range. This helps me on two fronts. One I know how far my ball is going with my swing that day. Two, I can quickly do the math on how much these particular range balls are taking off of my distance.

2. Using mats always removes my mistakes by over half it seems. I look like a pro it seems on mats but mess up a lot more on grass. Are mats hurting my game by practicing on them? I'd say I play on mats and grass about 50/50.

On some types of mats, yes it does hide a lot of swing flaws. It mostly hides what would be fat shots. However, I find it harder to hit my long irons and fairway woods off of the mats. There is one driving range I go to when I am in the states that has a really weird hitting area on their mats that prop the ball up on fake grass. If you hit behind the ball it will sky, but if you clip the ball it will just skip out of the hitting area. For me it is less forgiving than real grass and really helps train you to hit the little ball first.

3. Is it necessary to wear my golf shoes when practicing? Particularly on mats where traction isn't as needed? I'm asking because I always put on my shoes to make sure that consistency is there but it would be nice not have to worry about it if it's not going to make much of a difference.

That depends on you, the type of mat, and your golf swing. Try hitting a bucket with your shoes and a bucket with your sneakers.

4. As far as which clubs to use, I usually hit an few balls with each club. Is there a preferred pattern? I.e. Beginning with wedges and working my way up; only working with a few clubs per visit, etc. etc.

The most important thing to do is make sure you are warmed up. My warm up is hitting wedges, then working my way up to the driver. From there I usually work on the clubs and shots that gave me the most trouble from last time I was on the course.

Response in your quote. I hope it helps.

My general warm-up and range routine always starts with my favorite club. When I was younger this was a 5 iron. These days it's a 7 iron. I hit probably 2-3 times as many balls with that club as most other clubs. Then I start going up. After driver I work my way down again.

7i, 5i, 4h, 3h, 3w, 1w, 8i, 9i, Pi, GW, SW, LW

I've been doing this for a couple years and it works well for me.

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!! Treat every ball you hit as you would on the course.

I hit the range 4-5 days a week and I usually play a round in my head one of the days.

I take a score card from my latest round and hit shots, club by club, and pick out specific targets and make very shot count.

Like on a par 5 ill hit driver, check the distance, Hit a 5 iron, then chip to one of the greens. Figure a two put per hole and check your score.

I find doing this keeps me from getting into a rut with one club. You end up using pretty much all your clubs and you’re not mindlessly beating balls.

Oh and practice the short game allot.

I hit the range 4-5 days a week and I usually play a round in my head one of the days.

I take a score card from my latest round and hit shots, club by club, and pick out specific targets and make very shot count.

Like on a par 5 ill hit driver, check the distance, Hit a 5 iron, then chip to one of the greens. Figure a two put per hole and check your score.

I find doing this keeps me from getting into a rut with one club. You end up using pretty much all your clubs and you're not mindlessly beating balls.

This is exactly how I practice at the range. I will usually warm up with my 8 iron, then 5 iron, then Driver. Then I will pretend like I am playing a hole. Pretend I am on a long par 4, hit driver, if I hit it well, hit a 7 iron. Next, long par 5, Driver, 3-Wood, PW. Mix it up and make a game out of your practice sessions and it will help a lot.

I find doing this keeps me from getting into a rut with one club. You end up using pretty much all your clubs and you're not mindlessly beating balls.

Very well said I could not agree more.............

QUALITY NOT QUANTITY!!!!!

I see so many amatuers today just beating ball after ball with no purpose and most of the time it is with a driver at that.

The only way you are going to learn the game and learn how to take it from the range to the course is to treat everyshot like you where on the golf course. Step away everyshot and go through your pre-shoot routine and if you don't have one get one.

Start off with a low iron and work your way up then do like brycerudd said and that is play a round of golf. Hit a driver then a wedge, hit a 3-wood then a mid iron, play a course in your head. This way when you go to the golf course you will be versed in what you need to do.

And last but not least...........PRACTICE YOUR SHORT GAME 80% OF THE TIME AND HIT BALLS THE OTHER 20%.............you will get more out of practicing this way and trust me it works.

Good luck...........

• 1 month later...

I start off by stretching. Then I usually start with my wedge and take nice easy swings at first, maybe 5-10. Then I go down the list 9-3 irons. Sometimes every other irons like 9 then 7 then 5 then 3. Or just focusing on the irons Im having trouble with. Then I hit a few off the deck with my 3 wood then move on to the driver. I do all this with about the first half of my large bucket. The 2nd half I treat as a round of golf. Tee off with my driver, followed by a nice 7 iron. Then my 3 wood followed by a PW. Then my 4 iron followed by a 6 iron....etc etc etc.

I think sometimes we get in that groove and after you just hit 15 7irons in a row you should be getting better, but you don't have that opportunity in a round of golf you know. SO I like to mix up my last half of the bucket.

Try to hit your irons off grass as much as possible after all thats what courses are made out of. Mats are MUCH easier to hit off of, therefore giving you false results leading to more disappointment on the course.

Always aim for something when you hit the ball....never just hit it

I've asked a ton of questions on this forum and I truly appreciate the responses and time given.

I hit the range a lot and here are a few curiousities that I've wondered about.

~10% (that was from the golf Pro I took a 6-week community college class from). I use the range balls for the range and my own playing balls for the green, chipping area and sand trap.

I believe it hurts my game, after all where will I ever find that on the course? I was looking at those turf mats which are half 'fairway' and half 'rough' at Sports Auth ................ taking one to the range may become an option for me lol. For now I'm making myself an impact bag.

I do it for consistency.

Everything I read is to start with wedges to help stretch things out and avoid any full power swings right off the bat. As mentioned earlier stretching a little bit even before the first swing will also help.

Any other advice about using the driving range would be great! I go about twice a week now and I'm definitely still a new hitting bogey to double bogey golf. I'm going from about 5 rounds a year to hopefully 30-40 rounds. At least until a major spine surgery I need to get in a few months. Hopefully, recovery will be fast and I can get back out there. (I'm only 29 so hopefully it won't take too long)

Thanks again to all those taking the time to educate me on this game.

Best regards,

Pete

I was watching the tiger clinic on the golf channel and his routine is as follows:

1. 56* Sand Wedge

2. 8 iron

3. 4 iron

4. 3 wood

5. Driver

6. 60* Lob Wedge

7. 8 iron

8. Club your going to use on the first hole

He says he stole it from Nicklaus. I usually lose about 10 yards and I always hit better off mats. I recommend grass whenever possible. I also always wear my golf shoes.

I find doing this keeps me from getting into a rut with one club. You end up using pretty much all your clubs and you’re not mindlessly beating balls.

Nice idea, I'll have to try it. How long does an average "driving range round" take you?

Here's my take:

I find that range balls fly 10-15% shorter. New range balls fly pretty well, but after they've been hit a lot, the just don't go anywhere. The fall off is most noticeable with the longer clubs, because the dimples get worn and don't create the kind of lift they did when new.

After hitting off mostly mats for several years, I have come to the conclusion that mats kill your swing. They encourage you to sweep your irons and stay behind/underneath when you should be covering the ball and hitting down on it. I went from using mats 95% of the time to 5% of the time and my ball striking has improved immensely. IMO, you are better off practicing less and using only mats than practicing more frequently and using mats.

I think practicing in non-golf shoes improves your balance. However if the grass is wet and you are hitting long clubs, you may slip even on smooth, balanced swings.

As for a routine, if you are warming up for a round, then yes a routine is helpful. If you are practicing to improve your swing, then a routine makes no sense. You should have a clear, specific goal in mind with each practice session. If you don't know what you are trying to do with your swing, take a lesson or two and get a pro to help develop a plan for improvement.

And as someone pointed out above, practice is about quality not quantity.

It is great to see someone with such enthusiasm for the game. Good luck to you!

All the other stuff has been answered, ie ~10% less distance, mats are bad m'kay, where golf shoes if you're hitting off grass, so I'll go into routine:

I go along the same warm up lines as Adam Scott:

10 balls or so pitching with a 56* (9 to 3s)

5 balls hitting either PW or 9i with 9-3

5-10 balls hitting full shots with either 9i or PW (whichever I chose before)

10 balls or so hitting full shots with 8i if I started with PW, 7i if 9i

Then work through each iron, odds if i started with 9i, evens with pw, just doing target practice, hitting it straight - roughly 10 balls each, or 5 pured in a row.

Then I hit maybe 10 balls total with my 5w and driver, unless driver needs to be ironed out.

So that's generally 60 balls out of 80 or whatever I get. Then I pull out my 7i and hit the nine shaped shots (starting with medium straight, medium draw, medium fade, then I go low, same thing and then high, same thing). I then grab 5i and do the same thing.

With the last few balls, if any, I'll hit a draw with driver followed by a fade, back and forth. Then I move onto the practice green :clapping:. I only get to the range once a week if I'm lucky, but that's my drill.

If I'm struggling with my swing I'll probably spend more time on my third club (8 or 7i) until I get it right, and then only hit a couple of my long irons if I'm hitting it well again, and don't hit them if I'm not -- no point, just get down on myself