asked by others to laser for them

what do you do
I am not a unfreindly golfer. I usually go by myself after work and get teamed up with others. I enjoy talking to others while walking and have a good time out there. I have no problem telling what the yardage at a par 3 since we are hitting from the same area. But what do you do when they start asking all the time for yardages of thier ball in the fairway?? I am not trying to be a grouch but I am trying to concentrate on my game and dont want to have to stop constantly to help the others out. Am I being unreasonable?? Some people really get upset with me. If it was that important to know the exact yardage, shouldn't they buy one themselves??

give me your opinion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just fake it, point it at the flag and make a guess, or just tell em how far away you lasered from your last shot, i dont blame you for not wanting to give out yardages on every shot

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

I am not a unfreindly golfer. I usually go by myself after work and get teamed up with others. I enjoy talking to others while walking and have a good time out there. I have no problem telling what the yardage at a par 3 since we are hitting from the same area. But what do you do when they start asking all the time for yardages of thier ball in the fairway?? I am not trying to be a grouch but I am trying to concentrate on my game and dont want to have to stop constantly to help the others out. Am I being unreasonable?? Some people really get upset with me. If it was that important to know the exact yardage, shouldn't they buy one themselves??

give me your opinion.

It's not you .. they're being inconsiderate. Hey, you're not their caddy! I have a friend who has been playing a few years, and he inevitibly will ask me how far to the pin, when we can see a yardage marker a few yards away. This is without either of us having a GPS. I point the marker out to him, and ask him what does he think. He will use an excuse, I don't remember what that color means. Yeah, right. So, I give him some false yardage .. and let it go. I tell him, 'I'm not your caddy!'. If he blames me for hitting over a green because of the yardage I gave him, I tell him 'your guess is probably better than mine. He stops asking after a few holes. But, I will be recommending that he get a GPS.

With strangers, I'd just ignore them, and act like I don't hear them .. or give 'em some false yardage ... I don't think it's mean .. they're too freakin' lazy to figure it out themselves. If they get upset, it's their problem not yours. Besides, how did they figure out yardage before GPS's? You can also tell them it's technically against the rules of golf to give out information (yardages and what club you're hitting, etc.) Hmm, that will probably really tick them off.

Most average golfers don't really need GPS's (me included) .. were not that accurate hitting certain distances despite knowing the yardages. I have the uPro GPS mainly for those courses that I'm not familiar with. I still usually estimate my own yardages anyway and confirm it with the GPS.

When I am using my GPS, then I will gladly tell them. I give out yardages pretty much the whole round with the GPS, but I wouldn't make the effort with a laser.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° shaft???

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

When I am using my GPS, then I will gladly tell them. I give out yardages pretty much the whole round with the GPS, but I wouldn't make the effort with a laser.

Unless it is my usual golf buddy, if someone asks I will glance at the GPS and just tell them, "I've got xxx to the center from here.". I won't walk over to their ball. I think it is 'OK' to ask someone what yardage they got when they last lasered the flag, but I think it unreasonable to ask someone to laser a new, specific distance for them.

When asked for yardage...I point towards the 150yd marker or the sprinkler head and I indicate that visually it is XX Yds and walk off. If they ask for a laser shot scope...I indicate that my last reading was XX.

What I really don't like is when they ask to borrow my scope. That is where I draw the line.

Guess the way I am looking at it...my laser is my 15th club. It is like being asked to use my wedge or putter.

Just Say No... :)

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I'm not against being nice on the golf course. However, by helping to give yardages to other players who request exact yardage from their balls, only slows down play. This is contrary to one of the benefits of using a GPS, per the advertisements .. helps to speed up play.

I've seen it in players in front of me ... going from ball to ball to give out yardages. Although, I've trained myself to accept slow-play, this only exacerbates the issue. Slow-play is another story in itself.

Interesting. We played with a forecaddy who had a laser and I didn't like him giving me distances. I think its part of the game to figure out your yardage. I wouldn't ask someone to shoot the distance if I didn't know them. To each his own I guess......

Part of the game to figure out your yardage? I don't get this at all. I guess you don't use any course markers to help you determine yardage either. What do you do? Walk it off to the hole? Estimate? The yardage on a shot should not be some secret information or require special divining skills.

It's part of caddy's job to give yardages to his player. What do you think Tiger and Steve are talking about, the Lakers?

S-

When playing with friends, I let them use my Bushnell if they want as long as it does not prevent me from getting my yardage.

I also will give them their yardages if it is easy for me to do or if their balls are on the way to my ball. I do the same for people I don't know if they ask. As long as it does not interfere with my game, I am happy to help out.

S-

Interesting. We played with a forecaddy who had a laser and I didn't like him giving me distances. I think its part of the game to figure out your yardage. I wouldn't ask someone to shoot the distance if I didn't know them. To each his own I guess......

Part of the game to figure out your yardage? I don't get this at all. I guess you don't use any course markers to help you determine yardage either. What do you do? Walk it off to the hole? Estimate? The yardage on a shot should not be some secret information or require special divining skills.

It's part of caddy's job to give yardages to his player. What do you think Tiger and Steve are talking about, the Lakers?

S-

Good point about figuring out your own yardage. That is like when people ask 'what club did you hit'...which is bothersome.

Guess the next step will be where they will ask to wipe down our clubs.

you can go the other way and give too much info, say,"your 143 to the pin with -2* slope so it is playing 135 but there is a wind helping so that is one club less, but the pin is on a back tier so you need to make it up there, it is about 98* outside and we are about sea level so that will take care of each other, the greens are a little fast so you will need.................." Give them info overload so they chunk the shot 30 yards and they will stop asking you. I will lase for the guy in my cart but otherwise I just tell them what distance I was from my ball.

Good point about figuring out your own yardage. That is like when people ask 'what club did you hit'...which is bothersome.

Guess the next step will be where they will ask to wipe down our clubs.

Asking for yardages is not against the Rules of Golf. But asking a player what club he is hitting is against the rules.

Your "wipe down our clubs" comment is hyperbole.

S-

you can go the other way and give too much info, say,"your 143 to the pin with -2* slope so it is playing 135 but there is a wind helping so that is one club less, but the pin is on a back tier so you need to make it up there, it is about 98* outside and we are about sea level so that will take care of each other, the greens are a little fast so you will need.................." Give them info overload so they chunk the shot 30 yards and they will stop asking you. I will lase for the guy in my cart but otherwise I just tell them what distance I was from my ball.

Nice one. Also make sure to give them info on the hazards too.... "143 to the pin....130 to clear the water to the right...so don't slice your ball there with the wind blowing towards the water...and the trap to the left is a potbelly with hardpan wet sand...."

Giving someone the yardage is not against the Rules of Golf. Telling them the slope, offering advice on wind, what club to pick, and where to hit the ball are all against the rules.

If you don't want to help someone out, just tell them so.

S-

Wow, I'm surprised at some of the responses here. When I bring my GPS, I will always tell someone the yardage (from where I am). I also have helped people look for yardage markers (sprinkler heads, etc...), as some of the courses we play don't mark things well. I played a course the other day and they had nice easy to see stakes at the 250, 200, 150, 100 marks on both sides of the fairway. Many courses we play use those domes in the ground to mark those, but sometimes I can't see them.

My buddy has a Skycaddy and he has no problem giving yardage to us... If I forget my GPS and ask him, he will take the time to walk to my ball, but really I just want the yardage from where he is standing, I can add/substract from there.

But hearing that some of you give false info...well, that's just poor sportsmanship, and I have to say you are all kind of losers.

Why not just say to the person, "sorry, I don't give out distances as worrying about your yardages messes with my game." end of story.

BTW, I don't know if my friend's Skycaddy is always right... which is why I call it LIE-CADDY. Last week he said I was 275 yards from the green, but before he said that I pulled out my 3-wood as I thought I could make it. Plus there was a group on the green and I was waiting for them to exit and my buddy said to go ahead and hit I wouldn't come close. So I rip one straight down the middle of the fairway. When I got about 40 yards from the green, I was looking for my ball...couldn't find it. Then my buddy found it over the green, on the other side of the cart path... which means, the ball must of rolled (and not flew over, thank god) over the green and past the group of four. I said sorry to them, but there is no way even with a tail wind that I hit my 3-wood 275 yards... I just don't buy it!

BTW, I don't know if my friend's Skycaddy is always right... which is why I call it LIE-CADDY. Last week he said I was 275 yards from the green, but before he said that I pulled out my 3-wood as I thought I could make it. Plus there was a group on the green and I was waiting for them to exit and my buddy said to go ahead and hit I wouldn't come close. So I rip one straight down the middle of the fairway. When I got about 40 yards from the green, I was looking for my ball...couldn't find it. Then my buddy found it over the green, on the other side of the cart path... which means, the ball must of rolled (and not flew over, thank god) over the green and past the group of four. I said sorry to them, but there is no way even with a tail wind that I hit my 3-wood 275 yards... I just don't buy it!

That is one of the reasons why I use a Bushnell Pinseeker TE......

S-

Twist- I think the point is the difference between a 2 second glance at a gps unit and the time it takes to laser various points for someone else. I can definitely see how it'd be easy to offer yardages from a gps, but somewhat different from a laser.

I am not going to traipse 100 yards to someone's ball to give them yardage. But if I happen to be walking near their ball as I go to mine, I have no problem taking 5 seconds to stop and give them their yardage. Nor do I have a problem letting a friend use my laser range finder if he wants after I get my yardage.

I don't get all the negativity here about people asking for yardages...I'm not bitter that I spent money on a laser range finder and those that ask did not.

Scott