2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

iron shaft comparison...

sbrylant

i'm interested in learning what the characteristics of different popular iron shafts are. with all things being equal (the person is using the correct stiffness/weight for each of the following shafts) what would you notice being different in the following:

1. TT DG

2. rifle

3. project x

4. kb tour

5. nippon

i guess what i'm really looking to find out is the launch, trajectory, smoothness, dispersion, etc. differences in the above shafts.

thanks...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can give you the results of the shafts that I've tried mate. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Nippon shafts but I'm keen to try KB Tour's in the near future.

1. TT DG

The Daddy of steel shafts. I've used X100's pretty much since I started playing. These shafts allow me to work the ball both ways, alter the trajectory and hit a variety of different shots more than any other. Mid launch with consistent flight.

2. Rifle

Designed for more of a swinger than a hitter. I actually fit better into Rifle Flighted shafts on full shots than TT DG's. The problem I found is that they don't load properly if you try to hit anything other than a full shot. Mid-high launch in standard Rifle's, consistent mid launch in Rifle Flighted.

3. Project X

Despite a lack of feel, the flight pattern on a full shot is exceptional. Boring trajectory that rises and flattens. As with Rifle shafts though, I struggled to get the desired results if I hit anything other than a full shot. Both standard and Flighted would be suitable for a swinger or a hitter.

i'm interested in learning what the characteristics of different popular iron shafts are. with all things being equal (the person is using the correct stiffness/weight for each of the following shafts) what would you notice being different in the following:

1. TT DG

2. rifle

3. project x

4. kb tour

5. nippon

i guess what i'm really looking to find out is the launch, trajectory, smoothness, dispersion, etc. differences in the above shafts.

thanks...

1- TT DG - I played these shaft off and on for years. They are the most widely used, probably because they have been around so long, and they are readily available as the stock shafts in many OEM clubs. They are a tip stiff, very stable iron shaft that allows for all kinds of shots to be made. They not the smoothest shafts, but they do offer more feel than the Project X. The distance is average and so is the spin. These shafts are the "grading point" for everything else in the market place.

2 - Rifle - I played these very limitedly. I am not sure why I didn't stick with them, as I played the "Flighted" version and the constant trajectory was very nice. Distance was on par with the TT DG.

3 - PX - These are my current gamers. I am constantly trying new stuff, but I have been "gaming" the PX 6.0 original satin finish shafts for a couple years. They offer a very consistant boring flight, and have a very tight dispersion pattern. The distance for me was about 1/2 club longer than the TT DG. I think the distance gain was do to the fact that these shafts are quite low spin. They do have somewhat of a "dead" feel to them so feedback is difficult, but after a while I got used to it. For me, the pros out weighed the lack of feel, so they are in the bag at least until my latest test is complete.

4 - KB Tour - I haven't played these yet, but I have a brand new set in my shop ready to go in if my current experimental shafts dont make the cut. LOL

5 - Nippon - I am currently experimenting with these great shafts. The Nippon 1150 is the one I am trying. I picked them up by accident. They just happened to be in a set of irons that I bought recently. I was going to pull them, but a buddy of mine, said to play them first. I have played them for a couple weeks. I have to say, they are the best feeling iron shaft I have ever felt. One word can be used to describe the Nippon shafts......SMOOOOOOOOOOTH!!!!!! They launch the ball quite high and have plenty of distance in them. They only downside so far to the Nippons, they spin more than I want them to and they do tend to balloon a bit on windy days. If I played in a world where wind didn't exist, I would NEVER play anything other than Nippon. That being said, I will play these for a couple more weeks, then I will give the KB Tour shafts a run at the bag.

Good luck.

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

thanks for the replies guys...

this is my situation:

i'm a low single digit handicap player who recently switched up iron shafts & now i'm pretty confused. the only shafts i've ever played up until a couple months ago was the rifle 6.0 (been playing them since 1999). first i had them in my ping i3 blades & when i picked up a new set of ping s58's last year i had them shafted with the same rifle 6.0's. i play in oklahoma where it's windy all the time, so i'm a mid-ball flight player at best (definately not a high ball flight). a couple months ago i decided i wanted to try the project x shafts, so i had my s58's reshafted with project x flighted 6.0's. i seem to be hitting the ball quite lower now & i really don't like that at all. i have no clue if the PX flighted 6.0 is right for me & just wondering out loud. with the regular rifle's i'd say my ballflight was fine most of the time, but there would be times that the ball would balloon on me into a stiff wind. i thought the PX flighted 6.0 would help cure the occasional balloon that i'd experience...but now i'm wondering if these are not for me.

any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Am I right in saying that you were using standard Rifle's (not Rifle Flighted) before?

If so, perhaps the transition to Rifle Flighted would be better than the move to Project X Flighted. There is also a school of thought that you should go down a flex when playing any Project X shaft e.g. Rifle 6.0/Project X 5.5. Project X shafts (especially the Flighted version) offer a very low flight anyway but perhaps they're a touch too stiff for you at 6.0?

yes, i was playing standard rifle 6.0's.

i'm thinking maybe the PX flighted 6.0's are too stiff for me...although my swingspeed & carry distance easily fit in precision's online fitting chart. who knows? i wavered between getting the 5.5 & 6.0 when i ordered them, but i obviously went with the 6.0 & am now wondering if i made a mistake. i do know that i don't like the ballflight i'm getting with them currently...

i'm going to see a highly recommended clubfitter in the DFW area july 11...so i guess i'll stick with them until then. i'm sure he'll be able to tell me if they're not right for me. i just hate waiting that long!

i'm thinking maybe the PX flighted 6.0's are too stiff for me...although my swingspeed & carry distance easily fit in precision's online fitting chart. who knows? i wavered between getting the 5.5 & 6.0 when i ordered them, but i obviously went with the 6.0 & am now wondering if i made a mistake. i do know that i don't like the ballflight i'm getting with them currently...

i'm going to see a highly recommended clubfitter in the DFW area july 11...so i guess i'll stick with them until then. i'm sure he'll be able to tell me if they're not right for me. i just hate waiting that long!

If you play standard rifles at 6.0 then you definitely need to go to a 5.5 to have any kind of success in a PX. Now that being said, the standard rifle is a much different shaft than the PX. If you liked the standard rifle but you want a more consistant ball flight throughout your set, then Villa is right, the Rifle Flighted seems to be more your style. If you already struggle to get enough air under the ball, the PX shafts will nothing but make it worse.

Good luck.

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

It's only a couple of weeks!

I was going to advise that seeing a good clubfitter would be the best way to go. The important thing is to go with an open mind and allow him to advise you what would be best for your game based on your swing type/swing speed etc. Either way, I hope you'll be happy with the results.

Let us know how you get on mate.

New here, first post.

I'm finally having to either rechrome or give up my MP-29's for another set - looking at good used 29's or '67's.

Anyway, many of the sets on ebay have Project X shafts versus Dynamic Gold's. I've never hit these shafts, although they sound like they were made for me - I hit very high iron shots and my nemesis is a balooning ball flight into the wind with very loose dispersion - much prefer a flatter flight - normal 5 iron is 195 - 205. Driver was measured consistently at 109 a few months ago (280+ on solid hits - Ping G2 8.5 Aldila NV Stiff) - can play to a 5 when I'm playing enough.

Current iron shaft is an X100 and does not feel too stiff - should I look at 6.0 Project X? I'm a little concerned that due to the age of my irons, the X100's may be worn out and not an accurate representation of stiffness anymore. I turn 50 this year and may be not as strong as I was several years ago when my clubs were new.

Thanks!

New here, first post.

I'm finally having to either rechrome or give up my MP-29's for another set - looking at good used 29's or '67's.

Anyway, many of the sets on ebay have Project X shafts versus Dynamic Gold's. I've never hit these shafts, although they sound like they were made for me - I hit very high iron shots and my nemesis is a balooning ball flight into the wind with very loose dispersion - much prefer a flatter flight - normal 5 iron is 195 - 205. Driver was measured consistently at 109 a few months ago (280+ on solid hits - Ping G2 8.5 Aldila NV Stiff) - can play to a 5 when I'm playing enough.

Current iron shaft is an X100 and does not feel too stiff - should I look at 6.0 Project X? I'm a little concerned that due to the age of my irons, the X100's may be worn out and not an accurate representation of stiffness anymore. I turn 50 this year and may be not as strong as I was several years ago when my clubs were new.

Thanks!

Although the Project X shafts do offer a lower ball flight, they're not the sort of shaft to be purchased without trying first. The feel is remarkably different to any shaft on the market although their popularity speaks for itself. One thing I alluded to earlier is the excellent results I got with them on full shots. Anything other than a full shot however and I found the results to be poor.

I subscribe to the theory that iron shafts stiffen up over time and need to be replaced but I've read a few comments by people who believe they actually weaken. Either way, I presume you've had yours for a long time and one way or another, they probably need replacing.

I've also heard different theories on how where X100's come in relation to Project X in flex. Some say 6.0, some say 6.5. My obvious advice would be to have a professional fitting (some places will do it without you purchasing clubs). That way, you'll know exactly what shaft type and flex will suit your game.

As for the clubs themselves, my vote is to re-chrome them. http://www.theironfactory.com/ do fantastic work. You won't regret it.

Welcome to the site mate and good luck with your choice!