The Ultimate in Slow Play

Some good points raised here especially since I've always subscribed to the "not worried if good or bad, just quick" theory. I'll add my own perspective/clairity.

I don't specifically mind it when a less than skilled golfer takes longer because his game isn't as sharp to hit fairways and GIR...that's fine...just keep a good pace to your play. Most golfers can tell the difference between someone who is new and trying hard versus someone who is just screwing around and wasting time and I think the latter is what really irriates most people. I've always believed that golfers (of ALL SKILL LEVELS) should make a conscious effort to be mindful of their pace of play and respectful to others.

In other words, if you aren't good, fine...take your shots and do the best that you can. So what if you shank your first shot (almost all of us have done it)...go to it and hit your second. DON'T screw around on the course or lolly-gag around when it's busy. If you notice you're holding up others on the course, let them play through or pick-up your ball and keep pace with your group. Bottomline, be respectful to others and their time as you would want to the same.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst situation I've had recently was when a friend in my own group was causing the slow play.

Now this is a friend that I generally like who (to be honest) is not the best golfer...but kind'a talks like he is. Anyway, we played an early morning round at a local muni that was PACKED. Now, the irony...about halfway through the round, he was chatting with the group behind us about how slow the group in front of us was. Once the fairway clears on that hole for us to tee off, he requests (not asks) to use my brand new 3 wood because he didn't have one (I said, "No, use your iron"). He promptly chucks his first 3 shots on the hole. Each of his shots included what I can only describe as a tribal dance of his frustrations. His 3rd shot went 20 yards into a creek...and YES, he went into the creek to get his ball (a cheap Nike ball) wasting more time. Again, keep in mind that the group behind us was on the tee waiting. Now, the whole irony here is that he complained about the group in front of us and yet we didn't have to wait one bit for them on that hole and his actions (or reactions) did nothing, but waste time and cause delay.

On another hole, he lost his ball to the right while me and our friend were to the left...he yelled across the fairway to ask where he hit it without even beginning his search (apparently because he had no interest watching his tee shot when it was less than perfect). He finally found his ball and I'm guessing took several swing at it. Later, I watched his 4th or 5th shot land 40 yards short of the green when I and another playing partner were putting out (trying to play ready golf). The friend approached the green looking around for his ball and we had to help him look while the group behind us was waiting in the fairway to hit to the green. I had thought he already hit his previous shot from 40 yards out, but no.... again he wasn't watching his shots and I had to walk down to his ball to point it out. I look back and just cringed at what the group behind us was thinking.

The entire morning was filled with me telling the one friend where his shots landed and watching him essentially waste time. The sad part is he isn't new to the game and isn't a terrible golfer...in this case, he wasn't minding his pace of play and honestly was being disrespectful to others on the course. Needless to say, I haven't played a weekend round with him since.

Yes, rangering is a thankless job, but it's part of the job description. I will most likely not confront a slow playing group, since I never know how slow players are going to react to a freindly 'nudge'. If things get really, really slow, I'll do what another poster has suggested: call the clubhouse and have them tend to it.

...and easy to tell who has never worked at a golf course. :clapping:

Testify brother Kevin Testify

If your time is so valuable, why are you wasting it playing golf? :clapping:

Word! Golf was never supposed to be a race.

And rounds were never supposed to take five hours plus.

We ALL agree on 5+ hours not being acceptable.

Kevin

I picked up on that. It's pretty obvious.

My point was that it's generally pretty easy to skip a hole and then keep to a decent pace. Not always but generally. And it keeps everyone happy--the pros & rangers don't have to deal with it, the slow players keep doing their slow thing, and I can get home a bit more quickly. No frustration, no confrontation, no asking too much of the staff, etc.

But I must have errored in believing that my time is valuable and that skipping a hole is an easy way to keep to a good pace.

So, what do you suggest I do, Kevin? Not skip holes and be thankful that I played a round in 4:55?

If your time is so valuable, why are you wasting it playing golf? :clapping:

Word! Golf was never supposed to be a race.

And rounds were never supposed to take five hours plus.

We ALL agree on 5+ hours not being acceptable.

Kevin

I picked up on that. It's pretty obvious.

My point was that it's generally pretty easy to skip a hole and then keep to a decent pace. Not always but generally. And it keeps everyone happy--the pros & rangers don't have to deal with it, the slow players keep doing their slow thing, and I can get home a bit more quickly. No frustration, no confrontation, no asking too much of the staff, etc.

But I must have errored in believing that my time is valuable and that skipping a hole is an easy way to keep to a good pace.

So, what do you suggest I do, Kevin? Not skip holes and be thankful that I played a round in 4:55?

You are putting words in my mouth. You might want to reply to the people who made the comments you don't care for. My comment was none of us like 5 hour rounds...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

You are putting words in my mouth. You might want to reply to the people who made the comments you don't care for. My comment was none of us like 5 hour rounds...

Kevin

Sorry that you feel I'm putting words in your mouth. Not my intention.

But you did respond to my response to those that seem to think either one shouldn't skip holes or that one shouldn't feel that their time is valuable enough to skip holes. I figured your response was your way to getting in on the conversation.

So, regardless of all the rest, do you think it's an acceptable solution to skip a hole and avoid the other issues?

Kevin

But you did respond to my response to those that seem to think either one shouldn't skip holes or that one shouldn't feel that their time is valuable enough to skip holes. I figured your response was your way to getting in on the conversation.

So, regardless of all the rest, do you think it's an acceptable solution to skip a hole and avoid all the rest?

I DID NOT reply to your post about skipping holes, which I think is perfectly acceptable btw. If you look on the left side of each post you can see the name of the person posting that particular message.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

So, regardless of all the rest, do you think it's an acceptable solution to skip a hole and avoid all the rest?

I DID NOT reply to your post about skipping holes, which I think is perfectly acceptable btw. If you look on the left side of each post you can see the name of the person posting that particular message.

Kevin

I said "you did respond to my response" which was my response about the five hour round. Sorry that this is so unclear and that I've offended you. Best of luck dealing with the slow play & those that complain about it.

Kevin

Kevin

I said "you did respond to my response" which was my response about the five hour round. Sorry that this is so unclear and that I've offended you. Best of luck dealing with the slow play & those that complain about it.

What is your problem? Perhaps a reading comprehension course is in order. Am I responsible for the posts of others? My post to your statement was that none of us like 5 hour rounds...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

What is your problem? Perhaps a reading comprehension course is in order. Am I responsible for the posts of others? My post to your statement was that none of us like 5 hour rounds...

Kevin

If you start with post 34 of this thread and go from there, it's quite clear. Again, sorry that you're so frustrated but you're the one that jumped in the conversation that started at post 34. Sorry that you've had a bad day.

Played a round today at a course I have only played once before over a year ago. Well, we had a foursome in front of us (3) that played WAY slow. But I'm not sure it was completely their faults, as there were holes where I saw people on the fairway when this group was on the tee box. That being said, they still played pretty slow, they walked very slowly to their balls and carts. They would always park their carts like 10 yards or so away, I just didn't understand that? They had a girl with them who could barely connect with the ball...and when she did, it would go dead left about 40 yards tops.

See, what bothers me about bad golfers (such as myself) are the ones who act like they own the course and however long it take their round to complete is good enough. I mean, I will run to my ball from my cart... especially if I duff one or smack one into a hazard. I always have another ball with me (usually 2 extra) and if I don't have the "right" club, I will just use the one I have and get my ball back into play.

The problem I saw today, was the group in front of us was slow, the group in front of them probably wasn't much better, but the group in front of us wasn't pressuring the other group. If you don't press them at least every few holes, they will go as slow as they can.

You know what would be nice to have... high tech though, would be a timer on the carts. It could work like the GPS's out there, when you reach a new hole, it starts a timer. I mean, it wouldn't have to be official or anything, just something to remind people ...hey, you are probably taking too long.

It shouldn't take much more than 13 min per hole to meet a 4 hour pace.

One other thing I think other people have mentioned, but you do have to account for group size. Like we were a threesome today waiting on a foursome...so it probably makes sense that we would end up waiting at some point unless the foursome had better handicaps then us.

Kevin

If you start with post 34 of this thread and go from there, it's quite clear. Again, sorry that you're so frustrated but you're the one that jumped in the conversation that started at post 34. Sorry that you've had a bad day.

Obviously,it's post 35 that bothers you. Can you see the screen name of that poster? Was it KevCarter? WAKE UP!!! I have been involved in the thread all along. Again, WAKE UP!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Kevin

Obviously,it's post 35 that bothers you. Can you see the screen name of that poster? Was it KevCarter? WAKE UP!!! I have been involved in the thread all along. Again, WAKE UP!!!

Kevin

Kevin, I'm going to walk away on this one. I'm fully awake. Again, sorry that you're so upset. I'll not respond to you again on thread.

How many of you skip holes if you have a slow group in front of you?

I figure that my time is valuable enough that I'm happy to skip a hole and save an hour on the course.

Try skipping holes on a crowded SoCal muni on a weekend...

The problem is there is nowhere to skip to... Here, you either get used to 5 to 6 hour rounds or you go crazy... our golf courses are just like our freeways.

If you want to play the munis here in 4 hours you have to be on the dawn patrol.

I figure that my time is valuable enough that I'm happy to skip a hole and save an hour on the course.

The problem is there is nowhere to skip to... Here, you either get used to 5 to 6 hour rounds or you go crazy... our golf courses are just like our freeways.

If you want to play the munis here in 4 hours you have to be on the dawn patrol.

labillyboy,

I agree, most of the time. The time it would work is when there is just one slow group falling behind and holding everybody up. They may be one or two holes behind and skipping in front of them may be a great option... That doesn't solve the problem, but sure might help a couple of groups who are willing to do it.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

labillyboy,

I agree, most of the time. The time it would work is when there is just one slow group falling behind and holding everybody up. They may be one or two holes behind and skipping in front of them may be a great option... That doesn't solve the problem, but sure might help a couple of groups who are willing to do it.

Kevin

You've never played at a SoCal muni have you? :rolleyes:

Technically you are correct, except what happens is, you jump ahead, catch up to the next log jam and then the group you jumped comes up and asks why you are in their "spot".... then you try to go back to your original position and ....

Kind of like traffic, you pass the slow pack, race ahead, catch the next pack and lo and behold the guy you passed is in your rearview mirror...

I think you get the idea... You are lucky to be in Minnesota... except for winter... not sure how you play golf then... but I bet it is really, really FAST!

Cheers!

Another huge problem is that many of the courses in this area send groups off every 9-11 minutes. The result: A backup on the second hole!

So you're basically screwed as soon as you start play...no matter how fast the groups are playing.

There are only two public courses in my area that strictly enforce a 4:18 round. If you make the turn 5 minutes behind they're all over you! I love it!!!

Another huge problem is that many of the courses in this area send groups off every 9-11 minutes. The result: A backup on the second hole!

So you're basically screwed as soon as you start play...no matter how fast the groups are playing.

There are only two public courses in my area that strictly enforce a 4:18 round. If you make the turn 5 minutes behind they're all over you! I love it!!!

Ok so the first ten groups turn under the 4:18 and the next one turns in 4;25 so they jump on them Now every group behind them is going to be at 4;25 do they get on all of them too?

Thats my problem with putting the clock on people you have to know whats in front of them.

Slow play can drive me crazy, but unfortunately it is a part of many rounds, especially local muni's. If I let it bother me, it affects my game negatively. I figure I would rather be playing a 5 hour round of golf than sitting through a 5 hour long meeting at work.

Regarding skipping holes, to me this is incredibly rude. During a round a few months ago the course was busy, but not unbearable and a group jumped a few holes right in front of us. We did have a marshall talk with them, but that is all he did and we ended up having to wait at every hole after they jumped in front of us.

Another example is for my weekly golf-league at work it is not uncommon to take 2 1/2 hour for 9 holes, this is mainly due to to the wide range of ability that the different players have. Again I would much rather be playing for 2 1/2 hours than really doing anything else.

For those that complain incessantly about slow play all I can do is offer a little advice that you can use in golf and in life. You can't control what other people do, you can only control your actions. I always make sure that I am not the cause of slow play, that I am ready to hit when it is my turn, that I don't take too much time reading my putt's and that I keep up with the group in front of me.

My take on this (I'm English, so bear that in mind):

I've played rounds of golf (18 holes) in two hours and in six hours. I have rarely if ever seen any correlation between ability and pace of play except to say that (in my experience) the top end players are slower. My home club back in the UK we'd have tournament rounds played in three balls which take around four hours at the first half of the field and four and a half at the back end. That's playing in groups of widely differing handicaps, from low single figures to high twenties. I've also played in Open qualifying which is supposedly scratch or better and professionals. Starting at about middle of the field, that took five and a half hours.

I went and played at TPC Sawgrass one morning before I flew back home from the trip. Me and a friend of mine playing a two-ball. We were second on the start sheet with a fourball in front of us. We asked the starter if we could go ahead of them and he said he was going to suggest that anyway. We then asked if we could play from the tips. He said that was fine, but if we found ourselves holding up play then we'd have to move forward. We said that was fine. Off we went. Two hours forty minutes later we were driving to the 17th tee when the ranger drove past the other way. He asked when we'd started (I think he was surprised to see anyone so soon). We told him and he told us if everyone played like we did he'd be out of a job. We weren't rushing and we weren't playing out of turn. We just make sure that when it's our turn to hit we're ready to hit.

It's little things like leaving your bag on the side of the hole where the next tee is. Thinking about your shot while someone else is playing rather than waiting till they've played theirs, then pulling your yardage chart out. Watching where you hit it when you hit it in trouble. Simple. I find it hard to believe that this lot results in an extra two hours on a round, but I guess it does because I don't see anything else done differently and I play in three hours, while people here seem to play in 5+.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Ok so the first ten groups turn under the 4:18 and the next one turns in 4;25 so they jump on them Now every group behind them is going to be at 4;25 do they get on all of them too?

Thats my problem with putting the clock on people you have to know whats in front of them.

Just pick up the pace, man! :rolleyes:

..... (I'm English, so bear that in mind):

fail. not once did you say 'whilst'

ok, J/K :D great post.

:rolleyes: Whilst that may be true, I can assure you I am English (half anyway).

Oh and why thank you. :yes:

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

My take on this (I'm English, so bear that in mind):

I've played rounds of golf (18 holes) in two hours and in six hours. I have rarely if ever seen any correlation between ability and pace of play except to say that (in my experience) the top end players are slower. My home club back in the UK we'd have tournament rounds played in three balls which take around four hours at the first half of the field and four and a half at the back end. That's playing in groups of widely differing handicaps, from low single figures to high twenties. I've also played in Open qualifying which is supposedly scratch or better and professionals. Starting at about middle of the field, that took five and a half hours.

I went and played at TPC Sawgrass one morning before I flew back home from the trip. Me and a friend of mine playing a two-ball. We were second on the start sheet with a fourball in front of us. We asked the starter if we could go ahead of them and he said he was going to suggest that anyway. We then asked if we could play from the tips. He said that was fine, but if we found ourselves holding up play then we'd have to move forward. We said that was fine. Off we went. Two hours forty minutes later we were driving to the 17th tee when the ranger drove past the other way. He asked when we'd started (I think he was surprised to see anyone so soon). We told him and he told us if everyone played like we did he'd be out of a job. We weren't rushing and we weren't playing out of turn. We just make sure that when it's our turn to hit we're ready to hit.

It's little things like leaving your bag on the side of the hole where the next tee is. Thinking about your shot while someone else is playing rather than waiting till they've played theirs, then pulling your yardage chart out. Watching where you hit it when you hit it in trouble. Simple. I find it hard to believe that this lot results in an extra two hours on a round, but I guess it does because I don't see anything else done differently and I play in three hours, while people here seem to play in 5+.

Good post Ty,

I agree... I try and do many of the things you suggest. The only one that's tough for me is watching my ball. I think I need to get my eyes checked as I very rarely see my balls land when they are more than 150 yards away. What really hurts is if I go first, sometimes I forget the mark I used to remember where my ball is...or I lose track of the tree as my perspective has changed as I get closer. Gotta get to the eye doctor!!!

Twist