2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Negative Handicap

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You play off 5.

The minus sign is an unnecessary addition that's seemingly becoming more fashionable (probably as a result of computer programs like the one you're referring to).

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Thanks for all the replies and clarifications.

Sheesh, I don't feel like I play to a 5 handicap. The program I use calculates the handicap based on the lowest score in your last 5 rounds. For instance, it'll use your 2 best scores in your last 10 rounds. And, 3 best scores in your last 15 rounds. Is this accurate? Is this how other programs calculate handicaps?

I have shot some good rounds, but nothing great.

Read all about the "USGA's Handicap System Manual" (Handicap Index and Course Handicap) here: http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/handicaps.html. Not all online "handicap" software follows the USGA methodology. Most golf associations, but not all, use GHIN software (licensed by the USGA) but to be "official", they have to follow the USGA Handicap Index system.

If you really want a Handicap Index in accordance with the USGA system, there is no reason to speculate and get uninformed "opinions", all the information is at the USGA website (perhaps in more detail than you want!). The USGA rules and of golf and rules decisions are there as well. You interested in greens, bunkers and and other turfgrass maintenance issues? Or USGA Championships? The USGA website covers those, too.

If you're not US-based and covered by R&A rules, I'm afraid that formula will be about as accurate a method of judging your handicap as sticking your hand out of the car window is as a way of judging your speed on the motorway.

Even under the USGA method, which is more based on 'potential' than 'average', it's not going to be all that realistic.

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

If you're not US-based and covered by R&A rules, I'm afraid that formula will be about as accurate a method of judging your handicap as sticking your hand out of the car window is as a way of judging your speed on the motorway.

Even under the USGA method, which is more based on 'potential' than 'average', it's not going to be all that realistic.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...not all that realistic". Remember the purpose of a golf handicap: it's to permit players of different skills to have an equitable competition. That is a hard task, unfortunately, because there are many levels of golf skill; golfers play on courses of varying difficulty; there are many different types of competitions (one day vs. four day; match vs. medal; foursome and fourball); people play different tees; and men compete against women, etc. The USGA handicap system is a statistically sophisticated system designed to take those factors into consideration. The probability is different of a scratch golfer beating a bogey golfer over a four day tournament compared to one day, for example.

As you know, the USGA system (licensed and used in many locations around the world) is intentionally NOT designed to represent an average score but potential ability (using 10 best out of 20 most recent scores x .96 (to "reward" the better golfer) and adjusted for course difficulty (measured differently for a scratch golfer vs. a bogey golfer--course rating vs. "slope"). However, as with any handicap system, it DOES rely on golfers playing by the rules and inputting scores in accordance with the handicap system, i.e. "garbage in, garbage out". It also permits tracking "tournament" scores and requires "peer review" by a handicap committee and adjustments because of "Exceptional Tournament Scores", i.e. a NET score in a tournament which exceeds the bounds of reasonableness (the probability of beating your course handicap by a certain number of strokes).

I'm not being jingoistic here and I'm well aware of different handicap systems being used around the world (lived in Europe and traveled around the world). It's just that the USGA system, while dependent on the honesty of golfers and by no means perfect, is a very impressive attempt (yes, using golf scoring "potential") to allow golfers to compete on a level playing, um, course. Alas, the scourge of sandbagging remains due to ignorance and skulduggery.

I've been playing golf and participating in golf message boards a long time. Precious few golfers have really read thoroughly the rules of golf and handicap systems (it can be technical and boring) before expressing their (usually uninformed) "opinions". And it's so unnecessary, all the details regarding rules/decisions and handicaps are on the various USGA, R&A, or national/regional golf association websites.

My post wasn't to discuss the respective merits or weaknesses of either method. Neither one is perfect, and it's true that someone who wants to can play either system to allow a bit of banditry, or maintain an artificially-low handicap for, presumably, reasons of vanity.

Based on the information that the OP provided, the program he's using isn't going to fit the criteria for either handicapping method and is likely to give an artificially low handicap - which he freely admitted in a subsequent post appears to be the case.

'Not all that realistic' was meant to mean precisely that; since it's not likely to be using the method as described. I'm no expert, but I know the English Golf Union handicap rules pretty well, and I'm fairly well aquainted with the USGA method via friends in the US. The DIY method via a PC is only a guide and isn't an official handicap that's been generated over a large number of rounds and/or a lot of general play or competitive play as is the case with a 'genuine' handicap - wherever you are in the world.

As I say, both methods have their respective weaknesses and merits - but they're both better than doing it ad hoc on a laptop if you really want to know what standard of player you are.

Sheesh, I don't feel like I play to a 5 handicap. The program I use calculates the handicap based on the lowest score in your last 5 rounds. For instance, it'll use your 2 best scores in your last 10 rounds. And, 3 best scores in your last 15 rounds. Is this accurate? Is this how other programs calculate handicaps?

Unfortunately the handicap program that you are using does not calculate your USGA handicap (or R&A handicap or any other handicap system that I am aware of). A "proper" (in the US anyway) handicap would use the best 10 scores from your last 20 rounds. From what you have said it sounds like this handicap is lower than a USGA handicap.

dave

you're a 5 hdcp and you don't know what a handicap is?

Either you know what it is and are just trying to play coy or you don't know how to keep score on a golf course and are nowhere near a 5 hdcp.

being a single digit capper and pretending not to be aware of it is like pretending not to know if you drive a nice car. it's like saying, "is this BMW 750 nice? b/c i have no idea."

and then saying "oh, gee, thanks for telling me. shucks, i'd uh never figured it"

Unfortunately the handicap program that you are using does not calculate your USGA handicap (or R&A handicap or any other handicap system that I am aware of). A "proper" (in the US anyway) handicap would use the best 10 scores from your last 20 rounds. From what you have said it sounds like this handicap is lower than a USGA handicap.

dave

Dave's right to a degree. Are you sure your program's using 2 of 10 and 3 of 15 ? If so, Dave IS right and it's not a "proper" handicap program.

Section10-2_1.gif

you're a 5 hdcp and you don't know what a handicap is?

Either you know what it is and are just trying to play coy or you don't know how to keep score on a golf course and are nowhere near a 5 hdcp.

being a single digit capper and pretending not to be aware of it is like pretending not to know if you drive a nice car. it's like saying, "is this BMW 750 nice? b/c i have no idea."

and then saying "oh, gee, thanks for telling me. shucks, i'd uh never figured it"

Sounds to me like "poops" has been playing for awhile but only just recently began to be interested in what kind of handicap he would have.

You're on a golf forum and you don't know how FEW casual but "regular" (read non-affiliated with ANY club) golfers actually KEEP a handicap ??? :rolleyes:

Original Poster here...

First of all, I know what a handicap is. My initial question was regarding a stated handicap with negative symbol.

I have been playing golf for 3 years and never actually kept an "official" handicap. A huge chunk of those 3 years has been spent just practicing what my instructor provided as guidance. I decided just last week that I need to start keeping a handicap so that I can get a good gauge for where my game stands. I took out my scorecards from the past month and entered the slope rating and other information of the courses I've played into a program. I also entered all the scores up to this past weekend. the program spat out -4.9. As I mentioned above, the best round I've ever played is 3+.

Here is how the program I use calculates handicaps:

First, a handicap differential is calculated for your round of golf:

Handicap Differential = (Your Score - The Course Rating) x 113 / The Slope Rating

A golfer has to have at least 5 rounds of golf entered into the Handicap Tracker to get 1 differential number. The lowest score out of 5 rounds is used in this calculation. The following chart represents the number of differentials calculated per rounds of golf.

Rounds Differentials

5-6 1 lowest score

7-8 2 lowest scores

9-10 3 lowest scores

11-12 4 lowest scores

13-14 5 lowest scores

15-16 6 lowest scores

17 7 lowest scores

18 8 lowest scores

19 9 lowest scores

20 10 lowest scores

Your Handicap Index is calculated by taking the average of the calculated differentials, multiplying that by .96, then rounding the number off to the nearest tenth. Once you've entered enough information into the Handicap Tracker, this is the number that will be displayed to you as your "Handicap."

You're on a golf forum and you don't know how FEW casual but "regular" (read non-affiliated with ANY club) golfers actually KEEP a handicap ??? :rolleyes:

not keeping a handicap and not knowing what one is... two different things.

and a double ;) :D to you, sir.

Guess he DID know what a handicap was after all,,,,,, just never kept one. Seems to me someone suggested exactly that !!! :lol:

Original Poster here...

First of all, I know what a handicap is. My initial question was regarding a stated handicap with negative symbol.

I have been playing golf for 3 years and never actually kept an "official" handicap. A huge chunk of those 3 years has been spent just practicing what my instructor provided as guidance.

WHO IS YOUR INSTRUCTOR AND HOW MUCH DOES HE CHARGE!!!

I have been playing for two years and I still have yet to break 100! God, do I just suck that bad? I play by all the rules...and I do try too many fancy shots...but dang, I'm wondering if my progress isn't good enough. I only play once a week (unless I can squeeze in two, or a practice round).

I'm going to blame my damn lazy eye... that has to be my problem! icon7.gif

Twist

Guess he DID know what a handicap was after all,,,,,, just never kept one. Seems to me someone suggested exactly that !!! ;)

semantics

Semantics my butt my friend.

After his original post you posted "you're a 5 hdcp and you don't know what a handicap is?

Basically you suggested he was lying.

*I* suggested you might not realize how many people play golf and for a loooooong time and never keep a handicap.

He followed up later saying more or less that (although he hasn't actually been playing all that long).

Nice try though. :rolleyes:

Not so, senor.

I suggested he was fishing for compliments. Meaning, he understands what the handicap meant, he just wanted to be told it was good. Which is lame. :rolleyes:

Do you mean to tell me you believe he was totally ignorant of his ability? If so, you are a trustful soul. I am not.

• 3 weeks later...

Not so, senor.

I suggested he was fishing for compliments. Meaning, he understands what the handicap meant, he just wanted to be told it was good. Which is lame. :)

Do you mean to tell me you believe he was totally ignorant of his ability? If so, you are a trustful soul. I am not.

Yeah, right !

What eva !!! ;)

Yeah, right !

What eva !!! :)

It took you TWENTY days to come up with that response? Or were you busy trying to figure out the negative handicap? :clapping:

:clapping:

*Some* people don't spend their life here on the board like YOU (apparently) do. :)

Guess I really DO have more of a life than some others - who'd a thunk it !?!?!? :rolleyes:

Nice talkin' to ya - thanks fer playin' :cheesy:

:)

*Some* people don't spend their life here on the board like YOU (apparently) do. :)

Are you givin' me flack for participating on the same board as you? How does that work?

Guess I really DO have more of a life than some others - who'd a thunk it !?!?!? :clapping:

Logic dictates you, in fact, do not have more of a life than other members of this board.

Nice talkin' to ya - thanks fer playin' :rolleyes:

Your haphazard use of smiley faces does not supplant your lack of tact. :clapping: