Shin's win not what the LPGA needed

The problem isn't that they're asian, the problem is that they're unknown. Any golf tour on earth would cringe to have a leaderboard full of names no one knows--regardless of what country they're from.

AMEN! :russian_roulette:

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popularity comes from exceptional skill, exceptional appearance, exceptional personality, or some combo of the three.

If Shin rattles off a bunch of wins in a row, or takes home the next couple of majors, she will qualify as having exceptional skill and will most likely become a popular reason for golf fans to tune into lpga golf. But nobody is tuning into the LPGA to see how Birdie Kim or Hillary Lunke is doing this week.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

The problem isn't that they're asian, the problem is that they're unknown. Any golf tour on earth would cringe to have a leaderboard full of names no one knows--regardless of what country they're from.

AMEN! :russian_roulette:

Different sport, but you know the NY Yankees have some of the highest ratings on TV, even though they aren't in first place. It's the star thing.

However, there is still a big disparity in how the average (male) viewer looks at the LPGA vs. how we watch the PGA. Not a commentary on that, just a fact...men want to watch "conventionally" attractive women play sports. I see it every time my husband changes the channel when he doesn't like what he sees. If the leaderboard was 10 "no-name" Swedish model-looking players, somehow I don't think this discussion would even be going in this direction.

I can separate athlete from eye candy...I root for Jim Furyk when he's in contention and he's no Adam Scott :)

It's not how...it's how many

Here's a newsflash: competition is about the best player winning. NOT about your favorite players winning. Talk about sense of entitlement. Next thing you know people will be demanding that the Koreans give up strokes to the rest of the field. THERE'S NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE SITUATION.

That is unless you are OK with fixing the competition to favor non-Asians.

And I disagree with your statement "there's nothing that can be done about the situation". How about other competitors from the LPGA re dedicating themselves to the game of golf, and to do what it takes to compete at those levels. aka "to git auff yer ded buuts" and work on your game, both the physical and mental side...oh, and learn how to putt while you're at it.

I wish all the golf networks would show good shots of all the players and not just the few. JAT

Our media coverage is mostly to blame here, they have done little or nothing to acquaint our viewers with many of the top players in the world. The news and entertainment industry are the ones profiting from all this...LET THEM GET OFF THEIR DEAD BUTTS and do their job properly.

Ooops, Almost fell off my soap box here. :russian_roulette:

ty

I agree 100%. Angela Park is my favorite LPGA player. She has a great golf swing and represents as well as anyone the "Globalism" of golf. Born in Brazil of Korean parents and a US citizen. Rookie of the year last year. Has some personality and I think she's cute too. But she gets almost no TV coverage even when she's in contention. I watched a tournament early last year where she was paired with M. Wie. Wie was way out of contention while Park was within 2 shots of the lead most of the day. Wie was making a mess of things, yet coverage was all Wie, all the time. Showed only 2 shots of Parks for something like the 2 hours I was watching. Pretty disgusting. You wan't Xenophobia - point that finger right at the TV networks.

As far a the hypersensitive folks wanting to "pull the race card" and call the OP Xenophobic - I call B.S. I'm a foreign born naturalized US citizen and the O.P. is right. There's very little interest in the US in watching unknown Asian 20 year olds win on the LPGA tour. There's nothing racist about it, just most Americans can't relate to someone who they've never heard of and that can't give an interview in English. American's are very nationalistic, they want to see Americans win. Just like Koreans want to see Koreans win and Spaniards want to see Spaniards win, etc. That's just a fact, whether you like it or not. People are voting with their remotes. If the networks want to generate interest in the LPGA they need to do things like compelling "up close and personal" segments like they do for Olympic athletes.

BTW, Fudoh is Japanese, not Korean. And she's a compelling story. 40+ wins on the Japanese tour I believe. But we didn't get to know her very well either.

Ultimately, I think that the "Asian invasion" may be good for women's golf in the long run. It should elevate everyone's game (just as Tiger has done on the PGA). Maybe it will foster better organized training of Junior girls in the US. Maybe we should be studying what the Koreans, Swedes and Australians are doing to produce so much young talent. Until we do, the LPGA is just going to become even more dominated by these countries. And beyond Tiger, the US PGA tour is likely to face a very rapid influx of Australians and Swedes - just take a look at the Nationwide tour.

Now, just give it 5 or 10 years and wait for the "Chinese invasion." They've got 1.5+ Billion people to choose from and hand pick for their sports camps (remember what a small country like East Germany did in the 1970's & 80's in the Olympics?). I'm sure they're studying what the Koreans, Aussies and Swedes are doing. I'll bet soon (if they haven't already) they'll start spending some big bucks to hire western golf coaches to "train the trainers." What the Koreans are doing now is child's play compared to what the Chinese are capable of.

Shin deserved to win that tournament. She played the best by far. I would have liked to have seen Gulbis, Kerr and Creamer in contention too, but the simple fact is they just didnt play good enough.

As far as Annika goes, she just doesnt have it anymore. Even she admitted that she doesnt have the drive and desire to put in the practice hours that it takes to win. She has decided that being a mom and having a family is what she wants and has chosen to step away from pro golf to pursue that. While Im somewhat disappointed, I do see where she is coming from and I respect her decision. I wish her all the best of luck in starting a family and I hope it brings her endless happiness.

As far a the hypersensitive folks wanting to "pull the race card" and call the OP Xenophobic - I call B.S. I'm a foreign born naturalized US citizen and the O.P. is right. There's very little interest in the US in watching unknown Asian 20 year olds win on the LPGA tour. There's nothing racist about it, just most Americans can't relate to someone who they've never heard of and that can't give an interview in English. American's are very nationalistic, they want to see Americans win. Just like Koreans want to see Koreans win and Spaniards want to see Spaniards win, etc. That's just a fact, whether you like it or not. People are voting with their remotes. If the networks want to generate interest in the LPGA they need to do things like compelling "up close and personal" segments like they do for Olympic athletes.

I can agree with much of what you've written in your post except for this paragraph. I won't respond to the hypersensitive, BS, and "I'm foreign born" comments as I'll assume you're speaking from somewhere that's not worth going.

The real issue of ignorance here concerns what xenophobia is. Xenophobia isn't simply something one does consciously or performs intentionally. Quite the opposite. Sociobiologists have made some compelling cases that xenophobia is something from the stuff of evolution. For instance, in Becoming Evil: How Ordinary People Commit Genocide and Mass Killing, James Waller writes that all human beings . . .

have an innate, evolution-produced tendency to seek proximity to familiar faces because what is unfamiliar is probably dangerous and should be avoided. More than two hundred social psychological experiments have confirmed the intimate connection between familiarity and fondness. This universal human tendency is the foundation for the behavioral expressions of ethnocentrism and xenophobia

(You can Google and find more on this for yourself.)

All this is to say that xenophobia fits this thread quite well and that before you make personal comments about me I'd expect that you would do so from a position more informed than what you've offered above.

Regardless of who plays where, the vast majority of money comes from U.S. sponsors. Those sponsors want ratings, and unknown Asians don't deliver them.

That's not xenophobia, that's economic fact.

Attempting to justify discrimination with "economic fact" is an old ploy. And just plain sad.

+1. Well said MatthewB!!!

Regardless of who plays where, the vast majority of money comes from U.S. sponsors. Those sponsors want ratings, and unknown Asians don't deliver them.

Attempting to justify discrimination with "economic fact" is an old ploy. And just plain sad.

And not being able to read and understand an English sentencen and then throws the race card is also just plain sad.

Try rereading the original post and understanding the concept of his statement before throwing out the race card.

People that throw the race card are just plain sad.

Since I started this thing, let me make it clear that I fully support the Korean players and their role in the LPGA.

For example, I'm a huge Jeong Jang fan. I remember that when she won in Rochester a year or two ago, she left the tournament to visit a Korean War memorial and made a $25,000 donation. It got little press, but it made a very positive impression on me. This is just one demonstration of the appreciation that Korean players have for their opportunities here.

That said, here's the economic reality. The LPGA could lose 4 to 5 tournaments next year (Arkansas, Tulsa, Charleston, Rochester are all in trouble). Sponsors, faced with their own economic challenges, are looking for ratings. Let's hope the LPGA comes up with a way to create them, because they didn't get them with two hours of network coverage of a women's major yesterday.

What you have to realize is for every event that is lost here in the US, an event will be added in Asia (where the money, interest, and sponsorship is). Yes, things will continue to get worse for the LPGA in the US, just as things will continue to get better for the LPGA in Asia.

Much like many american jobs already, the LPGA pro slots will become "outsourced" overseas to Asia (it's already started). It's just an economic reality. Women sports here in the US have never really done well when compared to mens sports. Why should the LPGA (golf) be any different?

The solution? Simple: American women must practice harder and fully dedicate themselves (to the point of having no lives outside of golf like their Asian counterparts) and win, win, win. Until that happens, the LPGA will diminsh in the US but grow in Asia.

Before the Asians rise to dominance, the most recent stars of the LPGA weren't even American (Sorenstam = Sweden, Ochoa = Mexico, Webb = Australia).

Anyway, I plan on learning Korean (or Chinese or Japanese) before heading overseas to watch an LPGA event!

And not being able to read and understand an English sentencen and then throws the race card is also just plain sad.

Try rereading the original post and understanding the concept of his statement before throwing out the race card.

People that throw the race card are just plain sad.

Feel free to point out an English sentencen (sic) that I misunderstood and we'll have something to talk about.

Think about this from a broad perspective. Americans love NFL football, all the top teams are American, and the ratings are high of course. Same for Baseball, with some minor exceptions. Same for NASCAR. etc. Now, tennis and soccer are a different question. I think the "problem" is that women's golf is developing into a world sport, not a US sport anymore. The question becomes, to what extent do US women's golf fans want to watch world golf versus just players from their own country. I can't answer that, but certainly ratings and sponsor money will tell us over the next couple years. Additionally, talent will be important but so will sex appeal and the ability to sell clothes, shoes, equipment, etc. And what populations will have the disposable incomes to buy that stuff? In the past, the US mostly. In the future, lots of other countries. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I do believe that the race card is the wrong one to play on this discussion, though. It is about economics and entertainment and ratings and viewership. It is a business.

Without ratings, sponsors go away. Without sponsors, no golf tour will survive...

Not to get too personal, but llthese comments that concerns about Asian unknowns winning are racist or xenophobic are ridiculous.

We love the Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino (Jennifer Rosales) players. But will they sell the LPGA effectively and create increased ratings and public interest? NO!

Heck, the PGA ratings are down without Tiger and they've got Mickelson, Singh, et.al.

It's going to take a uniue marketing approach to get this bus back on schedule.

Without ratings, sponsors go away. Without sponsors, no golf tour will survive...

Not to get too personal, but llthese comments that concerns about Asian unknowns winning are racist or xenophobic are ridiculous.

We love the Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, and Filipino (Jennifer Rosales) players. But will they sell the LPGA effectively and create increased ratings and public interest? NO!

Heck, the PGA ratings are down without Tiger and they've got Mickelson, Singh, et.al.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it to you. Here's my last attempt:

Only the US sponsors and ratings will go away, as you put it. The asian sponsors and ratings will take their place. Granted, you may not be able to watch many tournaments here in the US, but in Asia, you'll be able to watch lots of golf events. The PGA is not as popular in Asia as the LPGA, so your example is comparing apples to oranges. Marketing will not bring back sponsors or ratings. Only American women players that can WIN will bring both back. Until that happens, the LPGA will go where the money is (Asia). American players who can't afford to travel there to play will be left behind and replaced most likely by asian players.

Another drastic solution is to put a quota on the number of Asian players on the LPGA. However, i dont see that happening simply because it would drive away the asian sponsors and ratings. As it stands, the LPGA is leaning towards picking the Asian sponsors and markets over the American sponsors and markets, simply because there's more money to be made catering to Asia.

Maybe they should just go ahead and rename the LPGA the ALPGA (Asian Ladies Pro Golf Association).

IF the LPGA wants to make the poster girls Gulbis, Creamer, Blasberg, etc. Then they need to have some separate events where they can highlight those girls. Skins game, exhibition matches, team play, skills challenges.

Personally, I don't watch the LPGA for the golf, because the golf isn't what I'm watching for. I look at those women as fantasy mates. I will watch someone I'm attracted to. I do it with WWE Divas as well. I don't care about the wrestling match. I care about the way they look. They are women, so I will lust after them like a typical man.

When I see a leaderboard full of So, Jee, Hyun, Nyguen, Pi, Kim, Ho-Loo, Yagerbomb, whatever combo you want. I'm thinking one thing........are they hot. If not, switch it to wrestling.

But your comments on Asian unknowns and economic threats are just plain ignorant. Clearly, not only do you know nothing about the LPGA, economics, and sponsorships, but you don't even take the time to do some basic research before posting such a ridiculous topic.

The LPGA is/has been going through quite a few changes. They already recognize the challenges in front of them and are doing the best they can given the major TV networks have not exactly been welcoming.

Fact is, the LPGA TV ratings have been fairly consistent over the years regardless of who is on the leaderboard. They enjoyed their best ratings when Annika won every week, shot a 59, was friends with Tiger and Callaway milked it like crazy. But even then the ratings were not that much ahead of where they are today. The LPGA is performing better than two other men's sports that have better TV deals - the NHL and the Arena Football League. The LPGA will get a more serious cable partner soon and a better TV deal, even in a down economy. When this happens, you will realize just how ignorant you are about this subject.

The LPGA is already a unique marketing vehicle with more international players than any sport (except soccer), more international events, and more international sponsors (word to the clueless...who sponsors the biggest payday for the LPGA? Samsung, heard of them?, they are a Korean company). What the LPGA cannot help is economic reality hitting some of their sponsors. In this economy, even the PGA Tour is having a tough time with some of their events.

You do realize that it is not the same Korean golfer winning every week? Koreans have 6 wins this year among 5 players, Ochoa has 6 wins herself, Paula Creamer 3 wins.

I am not going to go as far as saying your post is xenophobic or racist (and matthewb, you can spare us the lectures, you have made your point), I will give you the benefit of the doubt and simply call it ignorance, or you just weren't thinking when you decided to tell us Shin's win is not what the LPGA needs.

If anything, this summer (and that is all it has been this year) of Koreans doing really well should serve as a wake up call for not only the U.S., but the home of golf Scotland, and the rest of the European countries need to get off their collective Word not allowedes and do a better job of investing in junior women's golf.

35% of the feild after the cut were asian... They are good. But it is nice to see well known names instead of these 18 19 and 20 year olds... jmho

Maybe we should give the "well known names" a buzz and tell them to step up their games .. the US and the British were won by Korean girls .. 20yo girls .. deal with it

this is the same type of argument that used to get made about black baseball players and the nba and soccer .. who's gonna watch if there aren't any white folk?? whatever .. gulbis, creamer, pressel .. STEP UP .. that's it .. don't be crying about it, this is America isn't it? .. hard work pays off .. if you perform you reap the rewards, bottom line

even ochoa is saying she needs to practice harder .....

IF the LPGA wants to make the poster girls Gulbis, Creamer, Blasberg, etc. Then they need to have some separate events where they can highlight those girls. Skins game, exhibition matches, team play, skills challenges.

Personally, I don't watch the LPGA for the golf, because the golf isn't what I'm watching for. I look at those women as fantasy mates. I will watch someone I'm attracted to. I do it with WWE Divas as well. I don't care about the wrestling match. I care about the way they look. They are women, so I will lust after them like a typical man.

When I see a leaderboard full of So, Jee, Hyun, Nyguen, Pi, Kim, Ho-Loo, Yagerbomb, whatever combo you want. I'm thinking one thing........are they hot. If not, switch it to wrestling.

haha .. well said .. the asian golfers are NOT HOT and i'm asian

haha .. well said .. the asian golfers are NOT HOT and i'm asian

You FILTHY RACIST!!! Just Kidding.

Some aren't bad, but K.J. Choi in drag would be hotter than some of them.

Another drastic solution is to put a quota on the number of Asian players on the LPGA. However, i dont see that happening simply because it would drive away the asian sponsors and ratings. As it stands, the LPGA is leaning towards picking the Asian sponsors and markets over the American sponsors and markets, simply because there's more money to be made catering to Asia.

LOL. You mean affirmative action for white female golfers? That would be an all-time low for the LPGA. Anything like that and I'm afraid they'd lose just about all credibility.

I agree with you completely. Just trying to help the naysayers with some outside-of-the-box thinking (even though i don't agree with my suggestion!).

If I could be guaranteed a final round leaderboard of Jimin Kang, Mi Hyun Kim, Momoko Ueda, Grace Park and Soo Yun Kang I'd tune in every week. Paula and Morgan and Natalie would just be gravy.

Wanna learn more about the Korean players? Go here:

Seoul Sisters Dot Com

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

With regards to the money that the LPGA may be losing out on, i think that will be fairly minimal to be honest. The best example that I can come up with is the FA Premier League which is the biggest football/soccer league in the world without a shadow of doubt, however the vast majority of teams there now have shirt sponsership deals with foriegn based companies who have little market share in the UK. In fact Everton a top 5 team have had for the last few years have had a sponser which is in Asian (sorry I don't know the specific language) but clearly the foriegn based companies believe that it is economically viable and I imagine that if Asian players continue to bombard the LPGA further Asian companies will want to invest money in the LPGA - unless of course the Asian prescence on the PGA Tour increases in which case the LPGA will probably get ditched!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I dont see that happening because you cant not let a player in just because of their race. Thats discrimination.

Bottom line, the American ladies need to work harder. They need to do what the Asian players are doing and not have a life outside of golf.

Its kind of sad to think thats what you have to do to win in the LPGA, but I guess its all a question of how bad do you want it?

I am an occasional fan of the LPGA. And LPGA, PGA or Champions tour, I too prefer to see people I know in contention. Seeing one "up and comer" is cool. But, when I don't recognize any of the names on the leader board, I'm likely to keep flipping through the channels. I don't think I'm unusual in that regard and that is not xenophobia, it's just a fact of entertainment. Doesn't mean anything should be done about it, except maybe educate the American audience better on who these players are.

I find it fascinating that the Asian players seem to be dominating the LPGA tour (at least in terms of numbers of players near the top). I'm curious as to why that is. I'd love to see some education on that during a broadcast. Help us get to know them. I'll watch if Shin starts to dominate the tour. I've got no problem with her being Asian. But, if the tour would turn into (not that it is) a "no-name" winning every week, that's not good for ratings.

I wonder what happened that the Asians seem to (to me anyway) have leap-frogged the rest of the world in terms of turning out young talent. If the Americans and the rest of the world aren't going to catch up, it doesn't mean I won't watch the LPGA anymore. But, it does mean I need to get to know these new players.

Peace,

Brian

Wow. Interesting points stated above.

For my two cents, for what it's worth, I do enjoy watching all tours of golf on TV and when I can, I will attend golf tournaments. I did go to the Ladies US Open last year and WOW, what talent, from America, SA, Sweden, and of course, Asia.

They are all good. Kerr just out played them all.

I admit, I've never seen so many Asians on the tour. I applaud those kids as well as all golfers. But what fascinated me more was the YOUTH. These are KIDS. OK, I've lived on this earth for 55 years, but I followed the tours since I was in my 20's and Watson, Norman, Lopez Caponi, Carner, were my peers, AGE GROUP, NOT GOLF! Amazing.

I will admit that I was rooting for Shinn this weekend. I have read some place that as an amateur, while she was practicing on the driving range, she received a phone call that her mother got killed in a car accident. Her brother and sister were critically injured and she stayed with them in the hospital for a year. The writer is not sure of the accuracy that she had given up golf for that year, but a great sacrifice.

Pressel and Lopez had lost their mothers too.

So I hope all of you don't mind that I sort of got off the topic, but I had to just give my opinion and give a little background of Shin.

I am an occasional fan of the LPGA. And LPGA, PGA or Champions tour, I too prefer to see people I know in contention. Seeing one "up and comer" is cool. But, when I don't recognize any of the names on the leader board, I'm likely to keep flipping through the channels. I don't think I'm unusual in that regard and that is not xenophobia, it's just a fact of entertainment. Doesn't mean anything should be done about it, except maybe educate the American audience better on who these players are.

I find it fascinating that the Asian players seem to be dominating the LPGA tour (at least in terms of numbers of players near the top). I'm curious as to why that is. I'd love to see some education on that during a broadcast. Help us get to know them. I'll watch if Shin starts to dominate the tour. I've got no problem with her being Asian. But, if the tour would turn into (not that it is) a "no-name" winning every week, that's not good for ratings.

I wonder what happened that the Asians seem to (to me anyway) have leap-frogged the rest of the world in terms of turning out young talent. If the Americans and the rest of the world aren't going to catch up, it doesn't mean I won't watch the LPGA anymore. But, it does mean I need to get to know these new players.

Peace,

Brian

Easy answer Brian, but you may not like it.

1. The Korean gov't sponsors girls from an early age to play golf, if they show talent and promise. The US Gov't doesn't do much if anything at all.

2. Korean corporations are more eager to sponsor women golfers than American corporations are.

3. Korean women don't have to take school classes while they are training to become pro golfers. They can if they want, but most don't and focus on their golf. American women don't have that option and have to attend high school or be home schooled.

4. As if #1, 2, and 3 aren't enough of an advantage for Korean women golfers, here is another big one. Korean women golfers practice much longer and harder than their American counterparts. Many a time ESPN reporters watch Korean golfers close down the driving range and putting green at night (i.e. they practice until the lights go out). They notice that not an American golfer is around. That's not to say that American golfers don't practice, but they're simply not as fanatical and 1-sided about it as the Koreans. American golfers have lives outside of golf and prefer it that way. Koreans just want to kick a** and take names.

Hope this helps.

Easy answer Brian, but you may not like it.

1. The Korean gov't sponsors girls from an early age to play golf, if they show talent and promise. The US Gov't doesn't do much if anything at all.

2. Korean corporations are more eager to sponsor women golfers than American corporations are.

3. Korean women don't have to take school classes while they are training to become pro golfers. They can if they want, but most don't and focus on their golf. American women don't have that option and have to attend high school or be home schooled.

4. As if #1, 2, and 3 aren't enough of an advantage for Korean women golfers, here is another big one. Korean women golfers practice much longer and harder than their American counterparts. Many a time ESPN reporters watch Korean golfers close down the driving range and putting green at night (i.e. they practice until the lights go out). They notice that not an American golfer is around. That's not to say that American golfers don't practice, but they're simply not as fanatical and 1-sided about it as the Koreans. American golfers have lives outside of golf and prefer it that way. Koreans just want to kick a** and take names.

Hope this helps.

I'm fine with that answer. I asked the question and I got what seems like a reasonable and plausible answer. I admire the Korean players for their work ethic. But, stardom is fickle. We are each free to choose what we like and don't like. I don't know if a bunch of up and comers (of any race or nationality) will attract as much attention as a few stars or not. I think the original question of this thread was how good was the win by Shin for the LPGA. For various reasons, it may or may not be good for viewership. Honestly, I didn't watch a lot of the tournament this weekend because the players' whose names I recognized were out of contention pretty early and other things drew me away from watching the LPGA this weekend. Had Annika or Lorena been in contention, that probably would have been different.

It'll be interesting to see if this wave of golfers has any staying power. Maybe it'll motivate other countries to work harder and end up raising the level of the game and actually being good for the LPGA. Now that I know a little more about what's going on, it does raise my interest and I'll probably pay more attention.

Peace,

Brian

For each fan that the LPGA loses here in the US, it will gain 5 fans overseas in Asia. They really do like their women's golf overseas. That's why Commisioner Bivens is focusing the LPGA's efforts in Asia. The first LPGA event will be held in China in 2009, with more to come. The LPGA must go where the money is in order to survive.

Bad news for American aspiring women pro golfers. Good news for aspiring Asian golfers. Don't feel bad for the American women though. There's always field hockey!

It's interesting to read all the thoughts here. Today, one of the Honolulu newspapers reported Fields has dropped sponsorship of the Fields Open which is one of the first LPGA tournaments for the calendar year. I believe Fields is Japanese corporation

I read this thread then happened to watch an LPGA recording on my DVR. All the players featured on the lead in were American. I wonder if the Golf Channel has another tape which they play in Asia featuring Asian players. To me it's obvious who they think the American audience wants to watch.

I have experience with the Korean mental prowess after taking Tae Kwon Do lessons from ROK military members many years ago. IMO, the Korean mental toughness is second to none. Watching them pound nails with bloody hands and foreheads was very impressive. I believe this same mental toughness translates into great golf performance. Having said that, living in Hawaii, which is about as Asian as there is in the US, I have to say I'm not all that interested in watching Asian players of any age no matter their dedication.

I know there are a lot of Wie haters on this forum, but if she ever gets here mental processes in order and plays like she can, I believe she can help generate interest in watching the LPGA - without the LPGA going to Asia. That does not mean the LPGA does not need to endear itself to Asia in order to survive.

Watching finesse is not as interesting to some people as watching power. Even my wife, who BTW is Asian, prefers the PGA to the LPGA. And when she watches the LPGA she wants to watch the American players - especially Wie. It's an interesting situation. Thanks for all the thoughts.

Honestly i enjoy watching the lpga now that there are more asian women on it. I really like watching their swings. They're living proof that you don't have to swing for the fences to drive the ball a long ways. What sucks is you really don't get to see them swing unless the tv stations are forced to cover them.

To me, i think why the koreans are taking over the lpga...would be that they can flat out putt. I mean have you seen they're putting strokes? i can only hope to get mine to look that smooth one day.

And in regards to tv ratings. I think it might actually be because tv stations try to cover american golfers more. meaning that they'll even cover american golfers when they are just barely off the cut line or and about 10 strokes back. How exciting is it to watch that? I would much rather watch some no-nome make a name for herself by winning than watching someone not even in contention.

But yea that's my opinion. Peace!