Keepin' a Cool Head

ER-One

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't live in the Texas heat, but I've been to Florida and Puerto Rico enough, where it is usually even more humid.

Hitting the ball in the rough helps- you'll usually be under a tree in the shade where it can be 20 degrees cooler. Won't do much for your golf game, but heck, survival is important!

On really hot days, I find riding cooler than walking. You get a nice reprieve from the heat by driving the cart as fast as possible- nice breeze.

Make sure you have a golf bag that can accomodate several cans/bottles of something to drink- that's the most important thing. Plus light colored clothing is a must.

In all seriousness, finding shade on the golf course will become a priority. Even standing for 2 minutes under a shade tree while your playing partner tees off makes a difference.

As already stated, seek shade at all times.

Keep hydrated. If not, you WILL get lightheaded at best, very sick quite easily.

Walking is tough in hot, humid climates. Riding allows the breeze to help.

Battery-operated fan with a misting bottle is more helpful than you think, even in a humid climate. There's a reason why Disney sells so many of them in their Orlando parks.

I think I am in a pretty good position to answer this.

I am from the Canadian Coast (Vancouver). I moved to Houston a year and a half ago. This heat and humidity is amazing!

I drink water and gatorade as much as possible. Drink constantly. Bring a few energy bars with you. I personally like Cliff bars (to each his own edible energy source but that is mine). Find shade whenever possible. In this heat, I ride most of the time until the time of year comes when it is not 100 degrees. It is not the heat so much as the humidity. It will suck your energy all up. Drink and eat - nibbles here and there - to maintain energy.

I used to walk 90% of the time but between many coruse designs these days with huge walks in between holes making walking impractical to have a decent pace round and the heat itself, I ride. If you can ride, do so. Otherwise, drink even more and walk in the shade when possible.

Another solution: play first thing in the morning so you will only melt for the back nine.

I also play twilight. I like this because less people are out there and the back nine is ciooler as the sun goes down but not as cool as starting early in the morning. However, twilight rounds are a good alternative if you are not a morning person.

Good luck, eh? (see, I am still Canadian - and I never say "y'all" - when I catch myself doing that, I catch the next plane out of here)

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Good luck, eh? (see, I am still Canadian - and I never say "y'all" - when I catch myself doing that, I catch the next plane out of here)

Im from vancouver as well (eh) and thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately (and more angrly) us college playes cant ride :jester:

also im in a slight debate on hats and their effectiveness. any comments?

I wear a hat every time because 1. it shades the sun from my face; 2. acts as a sweat band so it does not drip in my face; 3. I like it to frame with my eyes to let me focus when reading a putt.

Understand about not being able to ride. You will want sun protection for your eyes. See if your parents will give you a pair of Oakley G30 (their golf specific lens) - I just got a pair last week in the flak jacket frame and LOVE them - mine are also prescription. Got them with no polarization so I can also read greens with them on.

kick butt, eh!

What part of Vancouver? What is your home course, or if play public courses (like I did) what are your usual courses?

Ping Anser 2i isopur

They make neck cooler products.....soak in water put in fridge the wrap around neck head anywhere.....stay cold for decent amount of time........can always refresh it few min in ice box on course.

Good idea, but a lesson to the boys and girls out there....do not do something stupid like put a wet towel on your neck to cool off then take it off without drying your neck off. If you leave water on your neck, you could end up with a nasty sunburn.

I've lived in Dallas all my life and have gotten used to it. But as I'm getting older, it's getting worse again.

Like a bunch of posters have said, stay hydrated. But first, GET hydrated. Drink more water/Gatorade throughout the day, even when you're not playing that day, than you ever thought you could. Being chronically hydrated helps you stay much cooler.

Also, as far as hats: wear a visor. They keep the sun off of you and let the heat escape through your head better than a cap. And a pair of quality, golf-specific shades work well too.

I've lived in Dallas all my life and have gotten used to it. But as I'm getting older, it's getting worse again.

Like a bunch of posters have said, stay hydrated. But first, GET hydrated. Drink more water/Gatorade throughout the day, even when you're not playing that day, than you ever thought you could. Being chronically hydrated helps you stay much cooler.

Also, as far as hats: wear a visor. They keep the sun off of you and let the heat escape through your head better than a cap. And a pair of quality, golf-specific shades work well too.

Since the originator is a college student, this next point will likely not matter but for me, it sure does:

I cannot wear a visor as my forehead has grown tremendously as has the little helicopter pad at the back of my head so if I go with a visor, I will be totally burnt!!!

Now, if you are like my dad, and had this hair issue since you were 17, then maybe it is a point worth noting for you, too.

Ping Anser 2i isopur

It may not be raining but bring a golf umbrella. You will be amazed at how much cooler you will feel walking down the fairway with a nice circle of shade over you. I brought the umbrella into play yesterday at Chambers Bay where there is zero shade and it was sunny, 80+ and humid. Lifesaver. Staying hydrated is key. I drink 16 oz of water every two to three holes in that kind of heat. I know that has nothing on Texas, but still!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Something that I've learned from playing tennis in Florida heat is to wear a white closed hat. An old coach had me do it when I was young and mentioned something about heat deflection or something of that sort, don't know the specifics but it definitely helps.

If you really want to get serious about hydration, get some amino vital from GNC and take sips of it throughout your round as well as water of course. Honestly though these are things I did for tennis, but it can't hurt to do it for golf as well.

might sound kind of sloppy, but it's very humid here in Illinois and I like to take cold water and pour it into my hat every so often on the course....I usually wear a white titleist with the performance mesh in the back, it gives you a good cool down rather quickly...and definately drink water...I take a fiji water bottle with me, the big ones, and its exactly 1 liter...drink 4 or 5 of those bad boys on the course...you're good to go!

I am a former college golfer( I too played for a school in Texas, UTEP) and a resident of Palm Desert, California. Hydration is definitely the most important aspect of keeping cool but clothing designed for hot weather helps dramatically. I try to stay away from heavy cottons, polyester shirts with a lot of breathability are a huge help. Carts are not going to be an option for you so try and make your bag as light as possible.

I grew up playing in the SW and spent a lot of time in Texas and OK playing in the summer. I now play mostly in the mid-atlantic, where the humidity is oppressive at times, but not as bad as Houston.

I wish they had the materials back then we have today. It's pretty cheap if you know where to look. At Costco, you can pick up Nike dry-fit shirts for $20 each...they're amazing. Lately, the clearance rack at Target has some decent golf materials...I think the season is passing soon. New shorts are wonderful as well...Under Armor, Nike, Adidas, and even some knock-offs make super light, wicking shorts that are wonderful in humidity or just plain heat. Underwear is key, as well. I found a set of wicking boxer briefs (can't remember the brand)...these things really keep you comfortable and cool in the important places, knowhatimean. The materials are soooooo much better than they were even just a few years ago...lightweight, wicking, breathable, so much more comfortable and cool to play and walk in.

Your new best friend: gold bond medicated body powder. Get a big green bottle for your house and two small ones for you car and bag. Use it liberally before you play and any time you hit the loo at the course. You're welcome.

Get a "sunday bag" if you don't already have one. I like the Sun Mountain one without the stand, but with the double strap. Has enough space for everything you need in warm weather and is much lighter and more convenient than all the other bags I've tried. If you have to use the team's bag, seriously consider getting a push cart for practice rounds. Don't be afraid to look like a dummy. I've used them in 36 hole tourneys before and the kids I was playing with laughed at me for about 25 holes...then they thought I was friggin brilliant.

Get Lots of rest. Seriously, sleep as much as you can and try to limit your sugar and caffeine. Complex carbs, moderate fat, lots of fish and lean proteins. I've tried really hard this year to follow a "Mediterranean diet" and I've found that it gives me a major advantage over years past in my mentality closing out a round. I've noticed a marked improvement in my mentality and ability to concentrate on hot days thanks to the diet.

Exercise. Tiger pretty much credits his afternoon runs in the FL sun with getting him ready for Southern Hills heat last year. Find an exercise you like to do outside on your "off days" and do it at the peak of the day (with sunscreen and proper hydration, of course). I love to play soccer, so I do that a few times a week during the peak of the day. Helps a lot with your ability to focus down the stretch on those scorcher days.

Alcohol. It has to be said...you're going to have a lot of pressure to drink, and drink heavily from your teammates. Hopefully, this will be something you won't have to endure often, but if it is like most college golf teams, well find a way to really m...i...l...k... those drinks. I used to cut my drinks with water when I could and just sip sip sip. Nothing. Absolutely nothing will hurt your ability to play in the heat more than alcohol and a hangover.

Good Luck. Enjoy your time at school on the golf team. Those days go by quick, they can be frustrating, and you'll meet a jerk or two who you'd rather avoid, but the overall experience can't be matched.

Cheers,

Tim

Alcohol. It has to be said...you're going to have a lot of pressure to drink, and drink heavily from your teammates. Hopefully, this will be something you won't have to endure often, but if it is like most college golf teams, well find a way to really m...i...l...k... those drinks. I used to cut my drinks with water when I could and just sip sip sip. Nothing. Absolutely nothing will hurt your ability to play in the heat more than alcohol and a hangover.

Very useful info for any incoming college student.

But IF you do decide to drink (hopefully not before any tournament/match), not condoning that you do..but if you do, stock up on some pedialite and drink a bottle after a heavy night of drinking right before you go to bed. You will wake up with all your electrolytes restored and will feel 100x better then if you didn't take the pedialite.

Your best bet is just to not drink at all though.

Also stay away from the green (you know what), there's nothing more that could hurt your game then that.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this was said but there is a towel made specifically for tennis but golfsmith sells it I think its called Frogg Togg you first wet it with warm water the first time and then just other water and it stays very cool for hours and hen all you have to do is add a bit of water so look into it this will help.