2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

HiBore XL -- 9.5 or 10.5

e-man

Hey guys. I know, I know, get on a launch monitor and give you the numbers. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury because I can't find a 10.5 Gold stiff. I found a 9.5 Gold stiff and the store put it on hold.

Here's the question. Does the club play true to loft? Does it launch fairly high? I've always played Titleist drivers in 9.5 (975D, 975J-VS and 983K) and Callaway in 10 (GBB II).

I am a 6.3 index with a 95 mph swing speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess what would be most helpful is if there are people out there who have tried both lofts and can comment on both. If not, maybe I could just hear from a few of you who have one or the other. Also, let me know what shaft you're playing (although I'm pretty much set on the Gold as opposed to the Red). Thanks.

e

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like we are a lot a like, im a 7.something and swing around 105. I play a red shaft, xl tour 9.5 just fine.

I just don't really like the red shaft, I have a aldila nv on the way.

You might want to look at the xl tour, it's 3 degrees open which is nice if your mis shot is a hook.

Same here, my mis-hit is a hook, but I don't want to start with open-faced drivers. Also, I think the red shaft is heavier than the gold (swingweight is D5 for the red and D3 for the gold), and the gold is softer tipped than the red, which are two more reasons for me for going with the gold.

My only issue is 9.5 versus 10.5.

I have basically the same swing speed, and have had various combinations of the XL. My first was a 9.5* with a red stiff, which I actually hit fairly low, typically with 20-25 yards of roll. I had it reshafted with a vs proto, which brought the launch up some. This was my gamer for a year or so, but I went from hitting a fade to hitting a draw with it over time, and started hitting it too low. I just picked up a 10.5* with a gold stiff a month ago, and it is definitely the best combo I have had. It launches much higher than the red or the proto, but doesn't have that much more spin. With the red shaft, the launch monitor numbers were an 11.5* launch with 2850 RPM, the vs proto was a 12.5* launch with 2800 RPM and the gold is a 14* launch with 3000 RPM.

I have basically the same swing speed, and have had various combinations of the XL. My first was a 9.5* with a red stiff, which I actually hit fairly low, typically with 20-25 yards of roll. I had it reshafted with a vs proto, which brought the launch up some. This was my gamer for a year or so, but I went from hitting a fade to hitting a draw with it over time, and started hitting it too low. I just picked up a 10.5* with a gold stiff a month ago, and it is definitely the best combo I have had. It launches much higher than the red or the proto, but doesn't have that much more spin. With the red shaft, the launch monitor numbers were an 11.5* launch with 2850 RPM, the vs proto was a 12.5* launch with 2800 RPM and the gold is a 14* launch with 3000 RPM.

Very interesting. Did you try the 9.5 gold stiff? The reason I ask is because 10.5 gold stiffs are hard to come by these days, and you have to check to make sure that they're conforming. I had a 10.5 red regular a few months back and didn't like the feel of the shaft at all. I'm positive the gold stiff will be perfect for me, but I just can't be sure about the 9.5 loft.

e

I have the 9.5 gold stiff and I would say that when I pure it, it's a mid-high launch. It's lower than my XTD 10.5, but higher than the red fit on shaft for sure. I'm in your swing speed range and think that the 10.5 would've fit me better. I'm nowhere near your handicap level, so I think it could really go either way with your swing being better.

Very interesting. Did you try the 9.5 gold stiff? The reason I ask is because 10.5 gold stiffs are hard to come by these days, and you have to check to make sure that they're conforming. I had a 10.5 red regular a few months back and didn't like the feel of the shaft at all. I'm positive the gold stiff will be perfect for me, but I just can't be sure about the 9.5 loft.

e

Yes, I tried the 9.5* as well, and the numbers I got were not much different than with the proto (slightly more spin). The 10.5* was definitely the play. I understand the issue about the non-conforming heads. I just got lucky and walked into golfsmith when they were selling all the demos. I had 10 of them to weed through and find a conforming version. One thing to note is that cleveland tends to be pretty inconsistent with their lofts, so you may be able to find a 9.5* that measures at 10.5*.

Our speeds are close,I'm a 3 hdcp and speed of 95-100.Pretty much a low launch guy that really needs a 10.5*.Previous drivers include Cleveland Comp 10.5 stock regular(too soft) 907D2 10.5 with Speeder by Titleist( too heavy)........... read the reviews on the high launch, low spin traits of the XL(who's not making THAT claim)went directly to the 10.5* stock gold and having played 3 rounds, I now have my driver!!! trajectory is whatever I want, shape is normally straight and easier to cut than draw............ spin is very low esp. compared to the high spin Comp.Paired with the new 330-RX I'm as long as ever with greater accuracy than EVER!!!

My thoughts are get a driver that launches easy but can be tee'd down for lower flight rather than a easier to hit low driver that's harder to hit high........... so verdict is 10.5* ALL THE WAY BABY!!!

I would say a true 10.5 would work for you. That being said, have the store measure the loft first. Many Clevelands will play 1* more or so (like most OEMs).

FWIW - I have the 9.5 with red stiff and find it to be low launch and spin. Not sure if the head or shaft or both are contributing to it, but no ballooning here.

My SS is the same as yours. I tried many different drivers and then decide to listen to what the experts were saying. By expert I mean various articles and publications from people in the business. Most will tell you to play what you like but from what I read/hear a higher lofted driver would be a better fit. I've been playing a 11.5 deg XL gold reg since Jan 08. I'm not a big hitter and probably will never be but I hit more fw's than ever. I avg 220 - 240 with this driver. Now, I just bought a 9.5 same head, shaft and flex to toy around with hoping to edge out a few more yards. Been on the range one time with it so I can't tell you much.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the gold shaft, but I do, for now, have 3 Cleveland XLs...

8.5* with Red X-stiff

8.5* with fuji Zcom BW-65 stiff

10.5* with Red stiff

Not launch monitor numbers, but I'm probably swinging 105-110 if I really go after it, certainly a hitter more then a swinger, and I have no problem spinning the ball.

I've only hit all 3 together on the range, with range rocks, into a pretty stiff breeze, so take these with a large grain of salt. The 8.5* x-stiff is the lowest, and I still don't get much (if any) roll out of it. I have a tough time turning it over right to left, but can fade the ball with ease. I've had this driver in my bag for about a year, pretty happy with it.

The 8.5* with the Zcom I've just had for 2 weeks, with just the one range session above. It hit it higher then my gamer, but was still pretty controllable into the tough (20 mph) breeze. Some did get away from me (ballooned), but the feedback was great (more feel then the red shaft).

And finally the 10.5* red stiff, obviously the highest and most spin out of the 3, many balls ballooned into the wind and went right to left.

The other thing I notice, and again this is just my observation, I have not had these heads measured at all, but it *appears* from the naked eye that the two 8.5* heads are more open/less closed then the 10.5* head. I've read in the past that some manufacturers make the higher loft heads more closed because those golfers that need help with launch angle also generally speaking need help with not going right (don't we all). Again, I have no idea if this is actually true, just my observation on the range.

nice driver though.

I just got back from Dick's. I think their launch monitor may be a little behind the times in terms of technology. It doesn't measure spin (backspin or sidespin). It basically calculates direction, carry and total distance based on ball speed and launch angle/direction.

I was hitting the 9.5 gold stiff well, but it's so hard to tell in there. I hit about 25 balls. My average was right at 251 (235 carry, 16 roll-out), long 256, short 244, most in the 251-252 range. The launch angle looked great on the screen, but the average was right between 11-12 degrees, which seemed really low to me. They didn't have an 10.5 XL for me to hit, but they did tape up a 10.5 XLS gold stiff, and the launch angle immediately went up to 13-14 degrees, but the distance went down into the low 240s. The trajectory on the screen with the XLS was high, and then it just dropped out of the sky. I'm not sure what to make of all of this. I need to hit the club at an outdoor range.

Any thoughts?

e

I just got back from Dick's. I think their launch monitor may be a little behind the times in terms of technology. It doesn't measure spin (backspin or sidespin). It basically calculates direction, carry and total distance based on ball speed and launch angle/direction.

I was hitting the 9.5 gold stiff well, but it's so hard to tell in there. I hit about 25 balls. My average was right at 251 (235 carry, 16 roll-out), long 256, short 244, most in the 251-252 range. The launch angle looked great on the screen, but the average was right between 11-12 degrees, which seemed really low to me. They didn't have an 10.5 XL for me to hit, but they did tape up a 10.5 XLS gold stiff, and the launch angle immediately went up to 13-14 degrees, but the distance went down into the low 240s. The trajectory on the screen with the XLS was high, and then it just dropped out of the sky. I'm not sure what to make of all of this. I need to hit the club at an outdoor range.

Any thoughts?

e

I wouldn't base any decisions on hitting an XLS. It is a much higher spinning head than the XL--the same spec head and shaft gives me about 400-600 more RPMs than with the XL, and the ball does just fall out of the sky and land like a sand wedge.

Just got back from Dick's (again -- this time a different one closer to my house). I called before I went over there, and they told me that they had a 10.5 gold stiff. I brought with my 9.5 gold stiff to compare. When I got there, they told me that they had made a mistake and that they didn't have a 10.5 gold stiff -- it was a 10.5 gold regular.

Anyway, I hit a few more balls with the 9.5 gold stiff and got the exact same results as earlier in the day -- 11 degree launch, 235-237 carry, 250-255 overall distance. I then hit the 10.5 gold regular. I couldn't hit a solid shot -- the shaft was all over the place. I also hit a 9.5 red stiff and the shaft was just too stiff for me and the kick was too high.

The salesman was a real stand-up guy. He said I could do better on the launch angle, and that the 10.5 gold stiff was probably the way to go. He told me to return the 9.5 gold stiff and he'd try to locate a 10.5 gold stiff for me.

Further updates to come . . .

e

Your launch angle is everything !!! My swingspeed is 95mph. With the 9.5 gold regular flex, my launch was 18 degrees! I put in the Prolaunch Platinum and got it down to 16 - right where I want it - i gives me about 250 including roll.

The highbore is awesome - I've had it 2 seasons. I've hit the Ping G10, Tour Burner, FT-5, Rapture, D2, and Cobra Fspeed, all on launch monitors. This club and the Tour Burner went the straightest and longest. Factor in the price and the XL wins.

It is a high launching club. I can't recommend the gold shaft at all. Get the red, and if you don't like it -pull it later. I'd probably go with the 9.5 unless you typically launch under 15 degrees. If your tempo is quick - go stiff, if smooth or you pause at the top - go reg, flex.

Well, I have several XL's in both 10.5 and 9.5 lofts. The only stock shaft I have is the red stiff in one of the 9.5s. That shaft just doesn't work for me as well as the Epic that I have in the other 9.5 I own. I will probably re-shaft the stock. Now I have to say, I've been playing the Epic shfted club for a while, and was using the Red stiff for the first time in a long time. That will certainly affect my opinion. It is definitely a lower launching shaft. I didn't find it having as much "feel" as the Epic - or a VS Proto - which I have in a 10.5 - but that hits too high for me.

For my bucks, if your SS is up there, you will like the 9.5 better. But really it's all ablout how that shaft works for you. I think my problem with the red stock stiff is that the swingweight may be different (heavier) than with the Epic, and as a result, without playing it I was leaving it a little open, perhaps with a little play I would "get used to it", but I'd like a shaft/head combo that feels right without trying to adapt to it.... Of course as people say, the only way is to hit them....

Played again yesterday and it confirmed how playable the 10.5* is for me..............I'll try and get on a monitor but until then my eyes tell me the 10.5* is in a window that gives me max carry with some roll.I now can challenge bunkers and trees again with the confidence I'll have shorter clubs into the green.

Also being such a forgiving club allows me to relax and not feel the need to "guide" the ball................extremely happy with the performance of this club..............will most likely pick up a couple more!!!!!