2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Jeff-

I got the package with the Alignment golf DVD's yesterday. Still a bit intimidated by taking on TGM as I've never really "learned" a swing outside of what I naturally do, but from what little I have done with the DVD's, I have a much better idea of what exactly compression entails and how I really am going to have to build it up from my wedges. A lot of great ideas to take away from the book and DVDs; I just have to do so piece by piece.

Pete

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

My PBS arrived in the mail today. I have attached a picture of the scene out my back door (in Pinehurst, NC) about the time that the PBS arrived.

Is there some serious side effect that Jeff failed to disclose :man_in_love:

dave

ps. I have a round on Pinehurst No. 2 scheduled for tomorrow. This REALLY sucks.

It's Jeff's fault for sure. I live in Minnesota and it snowed about two months after I got my PBS. It's never snowed here before... well OK, maybe a little. This has a class action lawsuit written all over it! :lol:

I feel your pain though, missing a shot at #2. Hopefully you gat another chance soon!

Kevin

Kevin, being a member of Pinehurst (and getting to play No. 2 on a semi-regular basis) I really have no valid reason to complain. But in the meantime here is a picture (the day after the snowfall) of the 15th hole on Pinehurst No. 3. I'm not playing today :busted2:

dave

Kevin, being a member of Pinehurst (and getting to play No. 2 on a semi-regular basis) I really have no valid reason to complain. But in the meantime here is a picture (the day after the snowfall) of the 15th hole on Pinehurst No. 3. I'm not playing today :busted2:

dave

WOW! Dave, how often have you seen that in your neck of the woods?

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

dave

WOW! Dave, how often have you seen that in your neck of the woods?

Kevin

2nd biggest snowfall that I've since here since I moved to NC in late 2000. But Jan. 2000 saw 22 inches. People still talk about that one.

FWIW, I lived in Rochester, Mn for about a year (just prior to moving to NC). But I wasn't playing golf at the time. However, I do remember the ranges closing on October 1st. I thought that was really weird.

dave

Jeff, I've taken a dozen or so swings (no ball) in the snow today with my new PBS. We'll see if I am able to make effective use of it.

But something occurred to me. I was wondering how much of the effectiveness (well documented here in this forum) has to do with the single fact that it gives you a "new feel" that is easily correlated to "something useful" (like PP#3). I'm wondering if it would work just as well if it somehow created a depression in your shaft at PP#3 instead of a raised area - anything to "create a change" and give your mind something else to focus on.

Ever thought about that?

Thanks.

dave

Jeff, I've taken a dozen or so swings (no ball) in the snow today with my new PBS. We'll see if I am able to make effective use of it.

But something occurred to me. I was wondering how much of the effectiveness (well documented here in this forum) has to do with the single fact that it gives you a "new feel" that is easily correlated to "something useful" (like PP#3). I'm wondering if it would work just as well if it somehow created a depression in your shaft at PP#3 instead of a raised area - anything to "create a change" and give your mind something else to focus on.

Ever thought about that?

Thanks.

dave

Dave,

While testing the prototypes I found a old 7 iron in the lost and found at the club. The grip along where the #3 pressure point rests was well worn out and I noticed something was lacking so I applied more pressure against that spot. Then I filled the gap with the prototype and felt more pressure and repeated with and without the prototype. It changes the awareness and feel of the #3PP along the grip. This is a great point the Pure Ball Striker creates a "new feel" or sensation which for many individuals has correlated to "something useful." By sensing the clubhead lag pressure it creates the awareness of location, condition, direction, and gives an element of purpose. The Pure Ball Striker training device helps the player monitor their purpose.

I hear you loud and clear great point Dave!

OK, I bought one of these right after this thread started and went to work, immediatly I noticed a difference on my short game, I have always had a good short game, but my medium pitches became more crisp. I worked with it on my full swing but I couldn not overcome my tendency to cast (clubhead throwaway) I read Clampetts book, worked on the aiming point, tried tracing a straight line path etc. but could not get consistent. I finally saw this video on another thread and it clicked.

Ben Hogan "grip end of the club towards the ball"!!!!! Boom! it hit me, if my aiming point is the ball, and the butt of the club is heading towards it, I am on plane coming down, the harder I drive the butt of the club to the ball the more solid I hit it and I just let CF release the club. Add the PBS to feel the lag and voila! I have found my golf swing for the first time in a long time. Hit a few balls in a simulator with this and it felt great, played golf on Sat. and I hit it crisp, hit a few pushes and pulls, but they felt crisp with compression. Anyway I have more work to do but if any of your are having a hard time finding your aiming point you might give this a try, Mr. Evans I hope you agree with me???? Your thoughts????

I would like to thank Lake for posting this You Tube clip.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

dlygrisse, it´s as simple as you have commented. Just two things to do in order to keep you on plane and hit the ball fine:

1- In the backswing imagine that the butt of your club points to the back of the ball and further behind along the target line. Keep on the backswing tracking this imaginary line

2- In the downswing drive the butt of the club towards your aiming point located in the plane line (in your case the ball). Let the body follow this move.

Be aware of driving your hand far forward through the ball to assure a steady acceleration and thus keeping the lag (right arm flying wedge)

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...34179/index.htm

"PULL DOWN AND THROUGH

Golfers who can play the game every day and who start off by having exceptional control of their body action—which the average golfer doesn't—can inaugurate the downswing with their hips. For the average player, though, the best way to launch the downswing is to pull down with your left arm. What sort of a pulldown is it? Well, as you have heard before, it is something like pulling the rope of a bell. Do you pull straight down? Not exactly. You should pull the butt of the club toward the ball.

Remember, this pulling down is done by the left arm. It's the controlling agent, and if you let it be you will escape the many troubles that result from trying to push the club down from the top with the right hand and the right shoulder. By pulling down with the left arm and keeping that arm straight you automatically bring the right arm into the proper hitting position: the elbow is leading and the upper arm comes in close to the body. The right hand then will be just where it should be when it uncocks into the ball.

Let me emphasize that, as far as conscious moves are concerned at the beginning of the downswing, limit this to the left arm and hand. They not only pull the club into position but they must keep pulling all the way through the swing until the left hand is hip-high on the follow-through. When you pull all the way through, you will finish high. It is the natural, inevitable result of the correct, strong swing."

Dear Jeff,

I am constantly looking for ways to help my students to improve and your product simplified my teaching. The Pure Ball Striker focuses the attention in the critical area of making a good swing, the hands. I’ve had success using this simple aid with juniors and adults in putting , chipping and pitching along with the full swing. Try it and you’ll improve your feel and your game!

Brad Pluth

PGA Certified Director of Instruction

Top 50 Junior Instructor

Authorized Instructor of The Golfing Machine

ACE Certified Personal Trainer

TPI C.G.F.P. and Body Balance Certified Professional

I just ordered mine this morning I am hoping that it can help me with my flying wedge..

Right before impact my wrists start to unhinge and I hit the ball too high...

I will let you know..

Thanks again

B,

Once you get the Pure Ball Striker and if you have any questions I am here to help!

Keep us posted on your results.

Sustain the LAG!

Got my new PBS in the mail yesterday, ended up finding my old one but oh well, no problem with two.

Biggest difference i found was that the new version is much firmer than the old one, and keeps the shape much better so it stays on the club.

Only bad thing about the new one is it looks so generic due to the PBS stamp not being on it anymore.

Please tell me when the tour version is out Jeff.

yea. i just got mine and no pbs logo on there. :(

So I got the PBS right after Christmas, and I've been using it pretty much every day since then. Admittedly it's only practice in a dome so I can only see about 70 yards of ballflight, but I love the contact I'm getting so far. I'd never really had a problem with ballstriking in the past, but in the last year or so I was losing distance and couldn't figure out why. In November, video showed it was because I wasn't creating as much lag as I did in years past so I decided to take the plunge and get a PBS. I think a few weeks of using it has gotten back the distance I had a few years ago. Can't wait until the snow melts.

Now for the bad news. I got lucky because Jeff included an extra PBS in my order, but my original one broke from use. I don't know if it is because I use midsize grips with extra wraps of tape under the low hand and it isn't supposed to fit that size grip, or some other reason but a few days ago I noticed that when I put it on the grip the connection wasn't as tight as it used to be. Soon it was even looser and began slipping on the grip. I checked the under side of it and there's a couple dozen hairline cracks that weren't there at the beginning, and the size of the opening is a bit bigger than my unused one. For now I've got the extra one so I'm okay, but I'm a bit worried that one will break as well. Anyone else have this problem?

So I got the PBS right after Christmas, and I've been using it pretty much every day since then. Admittedly it's only practice in a dome so I can only see about 70 yards of ballflight, but I love the contact I'm getting so far. I'd never really had a problem with ballstriking in the past, but in the last year or so I was losing distance and couldn't figure out why. In November, video showed it was because I wasn't creating as much lag as I did in years past so I decided to take the plunge and get a PBS. I think a few weeks of using it has gotten back the distance I had a few years ago. Can't wait until the snow melts.

Now for the bad news. I got lucky because Jeff included an extra PBS in my order, but my original one broke from use. I don't know if it is because I use midsize grips with extra wraps of tape under the low hand and it isn't supposed to fit that size grip, or some other reason but a few days ago I noticed that when I put it on the grip the connection wasn't as tight as it used to be. Soon it was even looser and began slipping on the grip. I checked the under side of it and there's a couple dozen hairline cracks that weren't there at the beginning, and the size of the opening is a bit bigger than my unused one. For now I've got the extra one so I'm okay, but I'm a bit worried that one will break as well. Anyone else have this problem?

I definitely notice is a lot looser than when I first got it.

OK, I bought one of these right after this thread started and went to work, immediatly I noticed a difference on my short game, I have always had a good short game, but my medium pitches became more crisp. I worked with it on my full swing but I couldn not overcome my tendency to cast (clubhead throwaway) I read Clampetts book, worked on the aiming point, tried tracing a straight line path etc. but could not get consistent. I finally saw this video on another thread and it clicked.
Ben Hogan "grip end of the club towards the ball"!!!!! Boom! it hit me, if my aiming point is the ball, and the butt of the club is heading towards it, I am on plane coming down, the harder I drive the butt of the club to the ball the more solid I hit it and I just let CF release the club. Add the PBS to feel the lag and voila! I have found my golf swing for the first time in a long time. Hit a few balls in a simulator with this and it felt great, played golf on Sat. and I hit it crisp, hit a few pushes and pulls, but they felt crisp with compression. Anyway I have more work to do but if any of your are having a hard time finding your aiming point you might give this a try, Mr. Evans I hope you agree with me???? Your thoughts????

Right on Brother! I have no problem with your stuff it is outstanding!

dlygrisse, it´s as simple as you have commented. Just two things to do in order to keep you on plane and hit the ball fine:

1- In the backswing imagine that the butt of your club points to the back of the ball and further behind along the target line. Keep on the backswing tracking this imaginary line

2- In the downswing drive the butt of the club towards your aiming point located in the plane line (in your case the ball). Let the body follow this move.

Be aware of driving your hand far forward through the ball to assure a steady acceleration and thus keeping the lag (right arm flying wedge)

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...34179/index.htm

Played yesterday, hit 14 GIR left one on the fringe below the hole hit one over the flag, misjudged the wind, one less club would have been stiff. Hooked two shots left of the flag for my only two really bad approach shots of the day, if I would have putted normal would have shot low (for me) I ended up with a 78, not bad for dead of winter with little practice the last two months. Thanx for your comments and advice, hopefully I get to play again before March. I also hit my driver pretty solid, hit a couple a little thin but all in play with a nice draw, now if I can just have some warm weather maybe my muscles will loosen up.

Thanks again.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Please shoot Jeff a PM in case he doesn't see this post. Sounds like a defective PBS may have snuck through. No worries, Jeff will fix you up ASAP!

Man, I don't like hitting balls indoors off mats, but we gotta do what we gotta do. I'm very happy to hear how you are improving and getting your lag back. That's AWESOME!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Played yesterday, hit 14 GIR left one on the fringe below the hole hit one over the flag, misjudged the wind, one less club would have been stiff. Hooked two shots left of the flag for my only two really bad approach shots of the day, if I would have putted normal would have shot low (for me) I ended up with a 78, not bad for dead of winter with little practice the last two months. Thanx for your comments and advice, hopefully I get to play again before March. I also hit my driver pretty solid, hit a couple a little thin but all in play with a nice draw, now if I can just have some warm weather maybe my muscles will loosen up.

Thanks again.

dlygrisse,

It's fun to see a true "student" of the game like yourself having success with this little training aid. Great stuff, keep it going! Have you tried the PBS with your putter? It has helped me sense a little pressure on the shaft in putting, instead of complete throw away. It got me back to using a short putter and feeling like a golfer again!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Please shoot Jeff a PM in case he doesn't see this post. Sounds like a defective PBS may have snuck through. No worries, Jeff will fix you up ASAP!

Man, I don't like hitting balls indoors off mats, but we gotta do what we gotta do. I'm very happy to hear how you are improving and getting your lag back. That's AWESOME!

Kevin

Correct again Kevin! Just drop me a PM!

Does anyone know which is the source of this Youtube video? I would like to research a bit more about this Hogan statement. The video is too short (4 sec.) and I can not imagine the context of Hogan´s explanation. The video summarizes the central idea: drive the butt of the club toward your ball, but I would like to get the full explanation

Maybe if someone has the full video can post 1 minute to get the full sketch

Hi Jeff,

Still suffering here in Palm Springs. (LOL). Unfortunately I didn't bring my TGM with me so I don't know where to go for the answer to a question.

I was using the elbow plane for my putting and chipping when I was using accumulator #1. Since I went to #4 I am wondering if a different plane is called for. Elbow plane seems to make me want to hit instead of swing. (is that what you have found?) What plane would you recommend or do you need to see the student swing to offer that advice?

Thanks again,

Jim