2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Pure Ball Striker Training Aid....

logan91201

Guys, if you aren't getting the feel with this little gadget, you are not creating lag. Go see a teacher who knows even basic TGM, go study some TGM, read the yellow book. It's tough work studying, but it will absolutely transform your game. Make sure you are starting with basic motion, chipping, two feet back, two feet through, then go to acquired motion, pitching. Work on those impact alignments. This stuff works. Club-head Lag Pressure IS the secret to golf!

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Guys, if you aren't getting the feel with this little gadget, you are not creating lag. Go see a teacher who knows even basic TGM, go study some TGM, read the yellow book. It's tough work studying, but it will absolutely transform your game. Make sure you are starting with basic motion, chipping, two feet back, two feet through, then go to acquired motion, pitching. Work on those impact alignments. This stuff works. Club-head Lag Pressure IS the secret to golf!

KC

So very true. The key is just sitting there and chipping for a long time and creating the lag. Soon it kinda become second nature. TGM is a HUGE help in understanding this.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Ordered a PBS and went to the range for the 1st time with it yesterday. Also been trying to incorporate Clampett's Impact Zone. Started off without the PBS and just aiming a few inches in front of the ball, actually looking a few inches in front and not at the ball. I was doing pretty well. Hitting the ball first most times.

Then I put on the PBS.....1st shot...whoa that felt solid. Look up to find the ball, where is it? Look higher, wow there it is. At least 20 feet higher than my normal 7 iron ballflight with a 5 yard draw. Look at the clubface, dead center contact. I then rip off 10 more exactly like that. I take the PBS off. Back to a little lower trajectory and not quite as solid impact. Put it back on, bam, high ballflight and high spinning iron shots. Incredible difference in contact. Now I can understand how good players can wear spots in their irons. I was hitting everything right in the middle.

Then I started developing more of a hook even though I was hitting the ball very flush. Ended up hitting some pull hooks at the end, but still hitting the ball right in the middle and very high. I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am hitting it so high? Am I flipping because of the PBS?

I also have a very inside out swing path, which I am struggling to correct.

If I am forward pressing a little at setup, does that mean I am lining up the clubface a little closed?

If I can lower my ballflight a little and get rid of the hooks, I can see myself dropping 8 strokes off my HC using the PBS. Incredible results for a little piece of rubber/plastic!!!

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible from prior experience. When I use the PBS I too have a higher ballflight, because my old tendency was to flip my wrists at impact and hit the ball thin, resulting in a low ballflight. After working with my impact bag and PBS I now am compressing the ball much better and getting a nice high ball flight. I hear people say that flipping causes a high ballflight, but generally when I flip I hit the ball thin or fat which causes low ball flight.I personally don't find that forward pressing lines the clubface up closed, and it just helps me maintain a nice impact angle from the beginning. Good luck.

Excellent answer! It can work both ways. Someone that wasn't striking down on the ball is now, and compressing it, creating more spin and lift. Right on! Keep up the great work guys!!!

Kevin

I can tell that I am spinning the ball a lot more, but we are talking really high irons. My 7 iron is flying higher than my PW from before. I guess what I meant by flipping is just greatly reducing the lag angle right before impact. It's not like the clubhead is passing my hands before contact.

If my clubface is square at impact is my inside to slightly outside the target line causing my big hooks? I know that in spinning the ball more, the hooks are made worse as well. I feel like I could spin back my 7 iron now. I have never been a high spin player so this is new territory for me.

[quote I can tell that I am spinning the ball a lot more, but we are talking really high irons. My 7 iron is flying higher than my PW from before. I guess what I meant by flipping is just greatly reducing the lag angle right before impact. It's not like the clubhead is passing my hands before contact.

If my clubface is square at impact is my inside to slightly outside the target line causing my big hooks? I know that in spinning the ball more, the hooks are made worse as well. I feel like I could spin back my 7 iron now. I have never been a high spin player so this is new territory for me.

YES!

An inside out swing with a square clubface = hook. The more inside out, the bigger the hook. I really feel the most control of my game when I can hit a push draw. I had lost that completely when I lost my lag...

If your clubs path is 5° inside out, you need to hit the ball with your clubface approx 4° open to accomplish the flight we are after. If the clubheads path is 10° inside out, we need to strike the ball with the clubface approx 9° open!

Check out this pic, stolen from Dana Dahlquist, I hope he doesn't mind. This is the club face set up of a tour player with a swing I admire. The further the ball is placed back in the stance, the more in to out the path will be, and the more open you want the club face.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

i little while ago i asked where the butt should point at impact; i'd also like to add a second question, where does the butt point at address.

from experimenting, if i have a little forward press at address (butt pointing at left thigh), i will hook it. If it points at the stomach, I will hit it dead straight.

coming from the inside is dangerous because for the longest time i fought a shank as a result of that.

that is why i bought the pbs, i thought it would help me get rid of it as well as get better contact.

Hi everyone, this question might have been asked already earlier in this post...I just received my PBS yesterday and it came without instructions. How do I figure out how to use it? Should I just start reading through this entire post, or is there a manual that I am missing? Thanks!

Hi Chris, PM sent. Please let me know if I can help after you get it.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

thanks for the reply

my swing thought is belly at address and belly at impact, it helps fix my hooks and tendency to slide forward.

i don't know what i really do, it's just a swing thought.

i should get the camcorder again.

thanks again

jacksonlui,

The low point of your swing is basically under your left arm pit. If you think about the shaft pointing at your belly button at impact you are not going to have the lag you are trying to produce. The grip should be forward leaning at impact, and your thought should be an aiming point where when you look down at impact, your hands are basically covering your left foot. Of course you can't see this in the full swing, make some little practice swings or waggles. Always look, look, look to see where your alignments at impact are. Always practice those alignments before you swing. You want to be thinking about where you want to be at impact.

As far as setting up, it's a preference. You can set up in your impact position, or you can use standard address, which is mid body hands. If you set up at mid body hands, it's a good idea to rehearse your new impact position as part of your set up routine. jacksonlui, I strongly recommend you go out and by the Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett. This will teach you all this and more, and a lot better than I have explained it. It is the best introduction to TGM out there in an easy to understand format.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search...pett&page=1

If you start here, you are off to a FLYING start!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I bought my PBS several months ago, but havn't had much time to practice or play. After reading this thread, I am very anxious to start practicing with it.

So do you literally focus and keep your eyes on your aiming point? If your aiming point is your big toe and you want to direct the PBS to that point, do you look at your big toe and not the ball during your swing?

Eyes on the inside aft quadrant of the ball and your mind on your aiming point. The left big toe is considered impact hands condition/location.

I bought my PBS several months ago, but havn't had much time to practice or play. After reading this thread, I am very anxious to start practicing with it.

So do you literally focus and keep your eyes on your aiming point? If your aiming point is your big toe and you want to direct the PBS to that point, do you look at your big toe and not the ball during your swing?

Like the previous post, just my opinion and I will look forward to Jeff's response.

I believe you look at the ball when making your stroke, while your mind's eye thinks about the aiming point. Looking at the aiming point is for practice, and waggles. In your pre shot, focus on what you want to accomplish and hopefully your mind will duplicate the idea and feel during the stroke.

Kevin

For some time now (after reading Bobby Clampets book I think) I have focused ahead of the ball, i.e. looked at a spot a few inches in front of the ball, when hitting my irons rather than at the ball. Doing this my ball striking improved immeasurably. You really dont need to see the ball to hit it well. Try closing your eyes on the downswing and see how easy it is to hit a good shot (answer, very easy) so just focusing ahead of the ball really is very simple and really helps with a ball first contact. Build this into how you use the PBS and reap the benefits.

(unless of course Geoff advises differently as he is way more informed than me)

I think jeff will probably say it is up to the player to experiment with. I for one agree 100% with kevin. I keep the aiming point in my mind, and look at it in my routine, but come time to swing my eye is on the ball, with mind in my hands going toward the aiming point.

It is individual to the player. Depending on release type, hand speed, and the length of the club will determined aiming point. Experimentation and Experience. Eye is on the ball, with mind in my hands going toward the aiming point.

Ordered a PBS and went to the range for the 1st time with it yesterday. Also been trying to incorporate Clampett's Impact Zone. Started off without the PBS and just aiming a few inches in front of the ball, actually looking a few inches in front and not at the ball. I was doing pretty well. Hitting the ball first most times.

Then I put on the PBS.....1st shot...whoa that felt solid. Look up to find the ball, where is it? Look higher, wow there it is. At least 20 feet higher than my normal 7 iron ballflight with a 5 yard draw. Look at the clubface, dead center contact. I then rip off 10 more exactly like that. I take the PBS off. Back to a little lower trajectory and not quite as solid impact. Put it back on, bam, high ballflight and high spinning iron shots. Incredible difference in contact. Now I can understand how good players can wear spots in their irons. I was hitting everything right in the middle.

Then I started developing more of a hook even though I was hitting the ball very flush. Ended up hitting some pull hooks at the end, but still hitting the ball right in the middle and very high. I will have to experiment. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am hitting it so high? Am I flipping because of the PBS?

I also have a very inside out swing path, which I am struggling to correct.

If I am forward pressing a little at setup, does that mean I am lining up the clubface a little closed?

If I can lower my ballflight a little and get rid of the hooks, I can see myself dropping 8 strokes off my HC using the PBS. Incredible results for a little piece of rubber/plastic!!!

You are able to sustain the line of compression better and controlling your thrust application also will help control the height of your ball flight.

I have a quick question. I have been working with the PBS for about 4 months now. When it is on the club and I am chipping with it, contact is crisp and the club is behind the hands at impact. When I am not using it, I start flipping the head ahead of the hands. Thin contact, fat, and topped :russian_roulette: . Are there any drills for chipping with PBS that will make the technique better when the PBS is off of the club? I am going crazy and starting to think the chip yips are moving in. Thank you.

32-Ball Drill

thanks KevCarter and Jeff,

I already own the Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett. It's a good read and easy enough to understand TGM basics.

I use to address with the club pointing to my left thigh and that's where my impact is also, this gave me hooks.

Now I setup mid body at address and impact at left thigh, nice straight or draw.

I've started to read about impact fix, etc... it's a nice thought, i like to use it to put my hands on the club.

Hi Jeff

Received my PBS and have been working with it, and also on the aiming point without the PBS. Played my first round today and nailed some wonderfull irons (stiffed a 7 iron to 1 foot for a NTP) and fairway woods, driver was a bit off , nothing terrible, but I didn't really feel in control or get that - I smashed it feeling. I am playing around a little with the aiming point concept. Have you experienced or heard anyone else focus the aiming point on a line that is a little in to out in relation to the target line. I tried this a couple of times today and seemed to get better contact, when my aiming point was about 6 inches in front of the ball but also a little 3 inches or so outside the ball target line. Is this unusual? or acceptable? Or do you think this idea could be dangerous to the swing.

PS also purchased Impact Zone, and am enjoying a bit more confidence and success with chipping and sand play already.

Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Callaway Epic Flash 15 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 4-PW (Nippon 950 GH)
Hogan TK Wedges 49/53/57
Ping Zing

Awesome product!!!

Started using it in April 2008 and the results have been pretty remarkable. This item serves as a reminder to the importance of maintaining lag pressure with my right hand. I have gone from a pretty pronounced fade to a fairly consistent draw. I've dropped my handicap from a 16 to an honest 9 in the last 4 months due to this item and a little practice with it. You can hit full shots, work on your short game, and I even use it as a putting aid on the practice green.

Found this on another golf site! oneplanegolfswing.com

a “pure ball striker” should be on your list too. Very inexpensive and great for feeling lag and PP3.

Found on iseekgolf.com

This was found on golfmagic.com:

i have a Pure ball Striker from the US very simple bit of kit that goes on the grip. the point of it, is that it gets your hands ahead of the ball at impact, it took me a while to figure it out cause its a feel thing. but it works and amazingly well. The problem with it for me is it kinda goes against the rotary swing, which im trying to get down so its confusing me.

Jeff,

Why would one think the PBS goes against the rotary swing? Hogan talked about PP #3, although with different terminology, in a video. Wouldn't Hogan's swing be considered rotary? I can't think of any type of swing the PBS would not be beneficial to, except those who are teaching throw away.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Jeff,

Why would one think the PBS goes against the rotary swing? Hogan talked about PP #3, although with different terminology, in a video. Wouldn't Hogan's swing be considered rotary? I can't think of any type of swing the PBS would not be beneficial to, except those who are teaching throw away.

Kevin

No idea really. My guess is just some confusion on the part of whoever wrote that.

Well -- there's good news, bad news, and better news.

The Good news: The Pure Ball Striker was working great! I was really enjoying hitting balls with it, and was seriously getting into the feeling. My right thumb and pointing finger were really helping to "conduct" the shot. It was a real learning experience (especially for paltry fin).

The Bad news: It was so relaxing, the PBS got away on a follow through and when least seen was unexpectedly flying about 20 yards into 2 feet of snow. Fortunately, no one else noticed.

The Better news: Even though I lost it, the PBS had started dead straight, had good trajectory, and was just developing a slight draw as it disappeared into the snow....

Looks like I'll have to order another one.

Bob

Forgive the stupid question but I am assuming you don't have to be a stack and tilt player for this aid to be effective...or do you? I see a lot of talk about S&T in this thread plus aiming points and the like, and just wanted to check.

Anyway I have emailed Jeff about ordering two of these. Whilst I realise its not a 'magic cure' for a perennial caster/inconsistent ball striker like me, this is a very exciting product.

Forgive the stupid question but I am assuming you don't have to be a stack and tilt player for this aid to be effective...or do you? I see a lot of talk about S&T in this thread plus aiming points and the like, and just wanted to check.

Anyway I have emailed Jeff about ordering two of these. Whilst I realise its not a 'magic cure' for a perennial caster/inconsistent ball striker like me, this is a very exciting product.

Not a silly question at all, and the answer is no. The confusion comes in that Stack & Tilt is a pattern that uses the Golfing Machine as it's structure. A lot of what you hear as far of the fundamentals of S&T were derived from TGM. Jeff is an AI for the Golfing Machine.

You do not have to be involved with either S&T or TGM to make great use of the Pure Ball Striker, but learning the basic concepts of TGM would be helpful to anyone wanting to improve their impact alignments and lag pressure.

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

was at a S&T clinic today. Andy and Mike are class acts, really nice guys and extremely knowledgeable. They also brought JJ Henry to demonstrate and wow, he hits it solid with a beautiful ball flight.

Cool, what did you think of the swing they are teaching?

KC

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Not a silly question at all, and the answer is no. The confusion comes in that Stack & Tilt is a pattern that uses the Golfing Machine as it's structure. A lot of what you hear as far of the fundamentals of S&T were derived from TGM. Jeff is an AI for the Golfing Machine.

You do not have to be involved with either S&T or TGM to make great use of the Pure Ball Striker, but learning the basic concepts of TGM would be helpful to anyone wanting to improve their impact alignments and lag pressure.

KC

Excellent. Thanks for your informative response Kev. I may well look into some of these TGM principles. Is there a particular place I should start?

Eagle.