Interested in LD

jkgolf

Which driver?
Well after some trial, I think I want to try and take this long drive competition stuff seriously for a little bit to see if i have what it takes. I currently just have standard length drivers and would like to get a full length 50" driver. I have all 8.5 degree right now and hit it very high. I have tried a few different drivers. Mactech nvg2 with speeder 757 xflex, bridgestone j33r stock x flex fujikura fit on370, and recently an ft-5 with a aldila vs 80g x flex. I hit all of these too high with too much spin. If I remember correctly about a 14* launch angle with around 3.3k rpm with the ft-5, and swing speed of 120-125. With what feels like to me an easy swing I hit 300-320, i have yet to measure a hard swing but the ball flight is a little out of control, the ball flight is higher, no balloons either, and easily further.

I am thinking of getting a geek dct but I am unsure of the loft, either the 6* or 7.5*. I like the sounds of a hof whup-n-shaft. The only problem is that is somewhat of an investment there for both. And without any kind of trial its hard. And there really is no way to get fit around here in MN for that kind of stuff, at least that I know of. So I guess I am at a loss for what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same position as you, I lived in Minnesota and couldnt find much help with my LD clubs. Where in MN are you located? I know a few guys that could maybe help you out. A good shop is golf excetra in Apple Valley. They helped me get my first driver going a few years back.

I am hitting Geek and HOF now and I would recomend them to anyone. Call Steve at Geek Golf and Im sure he would be happy to help you out. 1888-422-8899

I am currently going to college in Minneapolis, and when I am not at college at I am north of the cities around Anoka. I may have to make a trip over to that shop in Apple Valley. What all do they have over there? I am just really curious about loft and somewhat about what stiffness to get my launch conditions right. I was honestly looking into getting similar set-up. Are you hitting the dct or the failsafe? If I understand correctly the failsafe is lower spin than the dct, and personally think it looks better.

In Apple Valley they set me up with SMT. I dont know what they have now because its been a few years since I have been there. Right now I am hitting the DCT and the FS2. I like the DCT over the FS2. I havent hit the FS3 yet but I hear is a good head too. The guys at Krank make a great clubs too, they are by far the most popular. It helps if you can try things out and get a good feel for each head. There is a guy named Pete Stack who lives in Minneapolis, he would be a good guy talk to. He posts on incepta, so maybe see if you can get ahold of him on there.

I actually gave them a call this morning and it said the number is no longer available, possibly just wrong number, i did a search on google and found it that way. It would be interesting to try out some different drivers there and get actual results. I gave Steve Almo a call, unfortunately he is in mesquite but is going to be back tomorrow. I had a brief email conversation with him and will get in touch with him tomorrow. I gave you Vince a call this morning and it gave me the same kind of thing, it said this alltel number is not accepting calls at this time... not sure what that means and I can see I dialed the correct number. I guess I am going to have to make a field trip out to etcetera golf in apple valley this weekend :D

I am going to assume you compete here in Minnesota truax, how often are there competitions in the summer? Is there a place I can find out where and when events are being held here?

• 2 months later...

I have your answer, go to www.sellingerspowergolf.com and pick up an Adams 9016d head, they can combo this head with any LD shaft you want in several different lofts.

These Adams heads are friggin GONZO with length and the control is stupid easy, they truly blow the component heads away.

I just dumped a Hi-Bore XL Tour head (I know, it is not a component head) for this head because the Adams made the XL look like a 3 wood.

I had a Failsafe that I unloaded cause the Hi-Bore was longer and straighter for me.

Here are some numbers from my last monitor session with my swing coach Jeff Lockman.

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I have your answer, go to www.sellingerspowergolf.com and pick up an Adams 9016d head, they can combo this head with any LD shaft you want in several different lofts.

These Adams heads are friggin GONZO with length and the control is stupid easy, they truly blow the component heads away.

I just dumped a Hi-Bore XL Tour head (I know, it is not a component head) for this head because the Adams made the XL look like a 3 wood.

I had a Failsafe that I unloaded cause the Hi-Bore was longer and straighter for me.

Here are some numbers from my last monitor session with my swing coach Jeff Lockman.

I'm sorry and I don't mean to call BS on this, well ok I am calling BS. These numbers just don't add up. Maybe your fitter should have his monitor recalibrated. Why did you cross out SS and BS numbers? Most machines will pick up to a 135 mph swing and ball speeds over 200? There is just WAY TOOOO MUCH spin to produce those numbers.

And if this is true, I'd like to invite you to my LD event, April 25th, in Greenville South Carolina.

TBB,

Not to burst your bubble but those numbers arn't that impressive considering your spin is well over 3k. I find it hard to believe and you should too, that you would be able to carry the ball over 380 with only mid 120 SS and less than 200 BS. You need to get rid of the sh*t shaft and put a low spinning shaft in there like a HOF ultra of a HOF Gamer. Adams isn't a bad head but if you are going the OEM route stick with Cobra (very overpriced). The are many other companies that I would perfer over Adams such as Krank, Geek, MOI, or SMT. Krank dominated the LD tour this past year. Geek won worlds in 2007 and had a top 8 finisher this year in the RWLDC. MOI had 8 of the top 24 in 2007 RWLDC. SMT just keeps winning. But if you still insist on Adams wait for the Speedline.

Your preaching to the choir here boys, I crossed those 2 columns out simply because the sensitivity of the monitor makes its best guess when the BS and SS thresholds settings are exceeded which given the limitations of the system, causes the data to come back inaccurate for SS and BS, my Coach Jeff told me to ignore those numbers.

These monitor readings really jack with perception when read online but I posted them anyway expecting a disputation of data. The readings come from a Doppler sim that also uses 3 high speed camera's to feed data to the CPU for processing, the facility is located in Malvern PA I completed my weekly training lesson this passt Tuesday night and this is the readout from that.

If anyone has an absolute desire to question my monitor output given the fact that BS and SS are so low and crossed out, I will do all that I can to quite the crowd and set the record straight that lying is not my game and deception can be left to those who don't have the nuggets to present an honest and open enough view to share information, then I can do nothing for you. Given the weather, outdoor numbers are not possible and word from the facility owner is that the system is able to accuratly pick up a 99% reading on Bias, Height, distance, carry, roll, vert launch, horizontal launch, face angle and spin.

Here is the number to Play A Round golf , feel free to ask for my swing coach Jeff Lockman or write to him at [email protected] You can also call 610 725 9155 and speak to Jeff, or Steve Graves Jr or Sr. and ask any of them straight up if I am trying to trick anyone.

My name is Aaron Morris and I play with the Honeybrook League with Dale Lafferty, I invite you to question my intent of honesty and integrity.

I have been a member here at GWRX since 2005 and although we may not all share the same views and opinions, I respect my community of fellow members and feel no need to provide bogus information on any topic comment on.

Thanks for the reply ID4Y and T-Rex, I understand your skepticism, I have been getting this type of reaction my entire life as I am positie you guys have as well.

Later.

Titleist Prov1x

Every time I hit on a launch monitor the guy that running it, or owns it or whatever, tells me that it's 99-100% accurate. The other day I was hitting balls and whenever I would catch one with the driver it would fly least 430 yards. I ask the guy running the thing if there is some kind of wind setting making the ball fly so far and he tells me it's accurate within like a yard or two. I was also routinely getting a smash factor of 1.53. So while I enjoy hitting balls on these monitors, I don't think you can really use their readings as fact.

Josh,

LOL I have video of you hitting one that far. You should change your name from Lefty402 to Josh" Back the F!$k Up" Poter. Anyways hope to see you in April.

Aaron,

you do have speed and no doubt you can bring it but being around longdrive a few years we get very skeptical about any launch mointor numbers. They are only good for equipment comparisons. I do admire your honesty and would be happy to tee it up would with you anytime you are down in Georgia. Get your spin down and you should be able to book your ticket to Mesquite.

Tyler Hagemann

Every time I hit on a launch monitor the guy that running it, or owns it or whatever, tells me that it's 99-100% accurate. The other day I was hitting balls and whenever I would catch one with the driver it would fly least 430 yards. I ask the guy running the thing if there is some kind of wind setting making the ball fly so far and he tells me it's accurate within like a yard or two. I was also routinely getting a smash factor of 1.53. So while I enjoy hitting balls on these monitors, I don't think you can really use their readings as fact.

I have questioned the owners on the accuracy of their systems many o times and they insist that they can be taken as credible, the owner always remarks that "For as much as I paid for these systems, they better GODAMNED well be accurate or I won’t use it".

I reach these numbers outdoors but I want to make sure what I am seeing is not systematically altered. The 12 or so club pro's I play with in my Honeybrook league never complain about the numbers and if they know there yardages as they claim, they would most certainly elaborate on any major statistical differences compared to outdoors on a real course.

The swing coach I train with (Jeff) relies on this system to teach PGA, LPGA, and LD players that he tutors and his comparisons to outdoor yardages/bias/direction/height at his Wyncote facility Trackman monitors are spot on. I mean it is a legitimate indoor golf Facility containing 16 hitting bays with 30 courses loaded into individual CPU's, each bay has a Doppler system with 3 high speed cameras to assist with data capture. They scold me every time I call them "Launch Monitors" and say those systems like Radar, Infrared, Laser are geared towards retail chains and even Doppler alone is only 85%-90% accurate comparatively.

I hear all the time that there are very few people in the golf community that just cannot be fit and I have been labeled as 1 of those individuals repeatedly as I imagine several of you have. I can't imagine how often you guys must get this kind of heat anytime you talk specifics online or to people you just met when talking stats. Is it frustrating for you as well?

How long have you guys been participating in LD and do you grow tired of fending off “doubters”?

Do women care as much as men over this stat?

Do you think animosity over distance exists in their golf game?

Titleist Prov1x

Josh,

LOL I have video of you hitting one that far. You should change your name from Lefty402 to Josh" Back the F!$k Up" Poter. Anyways hope to see you in April.

Aaron,

you do have speed and no doubt you can bring it but being around longdrive a few years we get very skeptical about any launch mointor numbers. They are only good for equipment comparisons. I do admire your honesty and would be happy to tee it up would with you anytime you are down in Georgia. Get your spin down and you should be able to book your ticket to Mesquite.

Tyler Hagemann

T,

It is funny you say that, I met Jason Z. and Brian P. at a North Coast golf show about 2 years ago here in PA, I entered a LD contest hit 6 balls and won a cobra SZ440 driver, and a Cobra stand bag, Jason and Brian both handed me papers to register for the LDA but I left the papers there at the show basically forgot about it. Tell you what, those are 2 of the nicest guys I have met, Pavlet was giving my 4 year old son swing lessons for about 15 mintues and my wife and I traded humor with Zuback the entire time.

I am just happy I can reach the lengths I do with a 45" stick.

Titleist Prov1x

Josh,

Aaron,

Tyler Hagemann

T,

It is funny you say that, I met Jason Z. and Brian P. at a North Coast golf show about 2 years ago here in PA, I entered a LD contest hit 6 balls and won a cobra SZ440 driver, and a Cobra stand bag, Jason and Brian both handed me papers to register for the LDA but I left the papers there at the show basically forgot about it. Tell you what, those are 2 of the nicest guys I have met, Pavlet was giving my 4 year old son swing lessons for about 15 mintues and my wife and I traded humor with Zuback the entire time.

Then get out there and compete! I still question the spin rate. None of us get that much spin off of the driver. With spin numbers like that and a high SS, ball would just go no where(we call those floaters)

Me personally would never hit a head/shaft combo that ever produced those kind of spin numbers. I look for 1700-1900 rpm spin TOPS.

Like I mentioned to you earlier, come on down to my event in April(Shanks Shootout). You can see all the information about the event on www.incepta.ca or Facebook. Let's see what you can do.

you can also get ahold of Neil Simpson of Phoenixgolfworks. He's running a few comps in the ohio area.

Josh,

Aaron,

Tyler Hagemann

T,

Then get out there and compete! I still question the spin rate. None of us get that much spin off of the driver. With spin numbers like that and a high SS, ball would just go no where(we call those floaters)

Me personally would never hit a head/shaft combo that ever produced those kind of spin numbers. I look for 1700-1900 rpm spin TOPS.

Like I mentioned to you earlier, come on down to my event in April(Shanks Shootout). You can see all the information about the event on www.incepta.ca or Facebook. Let's see what you can do.

you can also get ahold of Neil Simpson of Phoenixgolfworks. He's running a few comps in the ohio area.

My swing coach and I have been working on reducing spin all of last week I was getting down around 1900 - 2100. I drive my legs a lot (from baseball) after I load the shaft coming down to help spin my hips. I am able to build and maintain lag but my problem is I get to far into the ball and force the head to come down on the ball rather than sitting back and posting on my left to launch at 9* - 10* from the upswing. I notice it floats now and then but lately it has been much more penetrating with very little bubble at peak flight letting momentum carry it farther rather than spin slowing down the flight forcing a softer landing. It is still a work in progress.

I will see what I can do to oblige your invite and appreciate the offer.

What should I look into putting together IF, I ever want to try my hand at LD? Shaft length? Head? I tried a few componenet heads but never swung anything over 45".

Titleist Prov1x

What should I look into putting together IF, I ever want to try my hand at LD? Shaft length? Head? I tried a few componenet heads but never swung anything over 45".

The first thing you should look for is confidence in the club. What I mean is while at address does the club look good, feel good, and give you the feedback that you are looking for. I don't care what others say but confidence equals distance. Every LDer is looking for lightning in the bottle. Wheather you choose Krank, Geek, Adams or any other manufacturer you have to feel that club gives you the best chance to win. The expensive part of long drive is testing and tweeking equipment. This is where launch mointors become a valuable tool. What may work for me might be completly wrong for you. Example: IDRIVE400 chooses to hit Geek. While Geek makes outstanding heads it's just not right for me. (I have only hit the FS3). I like let people know I have arrived at the range and that's why I choose to hit Krank. It's like bringing Howitzer to a pop gun fight. Quite a attention getter. Hitting a 45" club I would slowly go up maybe an inch or two but no more. It's more important to focus on contact which will produce the higher ballspeed. Do Not focus on swing speed right now. 135ss with perfect contact can cash you checks at every LD event. 1800-2000 spin rate is great. Becareful not to lock your right leg on take away. Stack and tilt does not work for hitting the long ball. Most imporatant, be loose in your swing. Loose muscles equal fast muscles.

The first thing you should look for is confidence in the club. What I mean is while at address does the club look good, feel good, and give you the feedback that you are looking for. I don't care what others say but confidence equals distance. Every LDer is looking for lightning in the bottle. Wheather you choose Krank, Geek, Adams or any other manufacturer you have to feel that club gives you the best chance to win. The expensive part of long drive is testing and tweeking equipment. This is where launch mointors become a valuable tool. What may work for me might be completly wrong for you. Example: IDRIVE400 chooses to hit Geek. While Geek makes outstanding heads it's just not right for me. (I have only hit the FS3). I like let people know I have arrived at the range and that's why I choose to hit Krank. It's like bringing Howitzer to a pop gun fight. Quite a attention getter. Hitting a 45" club I would slowly go up maybe an inch or two but no more. It's more important to focus on contact which will produce the higher ballspeed. Do Not focus on swing speed right now. 135ss with perfect contact can cash you checks at every LD event. 1800-2000 spin rate is great. Becareful not to lock your right leg on take away. Stack and tilt does not work for hitting the long ball. Most imporatant, be loose in your swing. Loose muscles equal fast muscles.

Tyler likes to hit Krank because he wants the ILLUSION of him hitting long from the sound. As you can see, he craves attention that he missed out from his youth.... :cheesy: :cheesy:

Well Mike,

you and me had this discussion many of times. Sound does by no means mean it is long but I use the sound a Posititive Reinforcement which creates stimuli and adrenaline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement . I like to know by the sound if it's a miss hit or not. Remenber Mike I have yet to try the DCT. This is only taking from the FS3 which was beautiful at address but the muffled sound I couldn't get past. You know I have always been honest in my assements of clubs but I like I said before what works for you may not work for me. I think Geek has a great product line but I have established a relationship with Krank and their customer service is outstanding(Vinny).

Well Mike,

you and me had this discussion many of times. Sound does by no means mean it is long but I use the sound a Posititive Reinforcement which creates stimuli and adrenaline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforcement . I like to know by the sound if it's a miss hit or not. Remenber Mike I have yet to try the DCT. This is only taking from the FS3 which was beautiful at address but the muffled sound I couldn't get past. You know I have always been honest in my assements of clubs but I like I said before what works for you may not work for me. I think Geek has a great product line but I have established a relationship with Krank and their customer service is outstanding(Vinny).

Wow Tyler, no real comeback? I was waiting for the crap to hit the fan....I was cracking jokes, and you come back all seriously......man you're getting old..... :cheesy: :tongue:

Just trying to help The Boom Bapp. I don't want to disappoint my fans so here ya go Mike.

Wow Tyler, no real comeback? I was waiting for the crap to hit the fan....I was cracking jokes, and you come back all seriously......man you're getting old..... :cheesy: :tongue:
:partytime2:

Yes I'm getting older and pretty soon I will be a short, bald, cigarette smoking, gimp chicken wing, geek hitting LDer.

Hows that for a come back Mike or should I include pictures!!! :busted2:

Just trying to help The Boom Bapp. I don't want to disappoint my fans so here ya go Mike.

Yes I'm getting older and pretty soon I will be a short, bald, cigarette smoking, gimp chicken wing, geek hitting LDer.

will you also be hitting at LD events in a little pink dress?

I'm not that short, or bald yet. Don't over exaggerate now.

And I was under the destinct impression that one ACTUALLY had to have fans in order to disappoint.

will you also be hitting at LD events in a little pink dress?

Tyler can't find a dress that will fit him.

Confidence in my clubs is my golf MECCA, I outfit my entire bag with stuff that fits my eye and oozes trigger happiness!

I am all about the "Less is More" school of teaching, for the past 10 years I have been playing Division "A" (ELITE) softball and about 2 times a year we get the chance to play at a MLB facility, last year it was Citizenz Bank Park in Philly, I was able to groove several softballs out of Citizens Bank Park straight away and put 20+ years of Baseball education to the work by staying smooth during a swing.

My swing coach states I am cutting above 140 and he thinks I may be nearing the 150 mark but my taget is to consistently sit below 2000 on spin each cut and meet my optimal launch angle.. I am a 1 planer and as I stated before from baseball I really drive my legs from a wide stance and by keeping resistance, it helps me to not lock that back leg. I will look at combo's from Sellinger's or something like that in the upcoming months for longer shaft say max of 47" and start messing with component heads again. Thanks for the help and input guys, I greatly appreciate it.

Titleist Prov1x