2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Played behind Michelle Wie

Shawn

MidasMulligan -- Well done, I'm in full agreement with you. Her putting seems to be coming around

and that was her weakness a year or so leading up to her injury. She will do well in life regardless

of direction taken.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LPGA needs Michelle Wie more than ever. That tour is going into a nosedive over the next couple of years financially, and Wie is about the only player who can draw spectators and money like a magnet draws paper clips.

Even if she didn't make it through tour school, I'd give her every exemption imaginable and unimaginable.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Give her about 3 years imo. :)

In three years she will be more likely working the drive-thru at McDonalds, getting arrested for drugs and on her 3rd marriage. She's the Macaulay Culkin of golf. Her family has ruined her career. Instead of going to college and learning to win, her dad has pushed her to play against people she's can't beat. All she knows is losing and her dad won't let anyone near her who can help. Unless her parents step aside and let professions guide her, she will be the next big out has-been hacking her way through mini tours or a total joke like John Daly living on sponsor exemptions. I know some people from Nike and the word is they are extremely unhappy with her and her dad.

Wello, you can be a hater if you wish ... except this woman just doesn't fit your profile. She's excellent in school. She has four languages, and is currently learning Mandarin (in her "spare time"). She's adament about finishing college (one of the best in the US) before she focuses full time on the tour. She's worth about $10MM (most kids would love their parent to "ruin" their careers that badly), has played on both the PGA and LPGA Tours, (and all over Asia), has worldwide name recognition, a big following of fans, and what is she ... er, 20 or so?

This is not the picture of some undisciplined drunk, but rather, that of a Type A overachiever. Even if she decides to never pick up a golf club again, she'd probably have a serious career in a half dozen different industries (four or five languages, experience with the press, and a Stanford degree ... is not exactly the profile of someone who's destiny is to be "hacking her way through mini-tours").

Last year was bad ... full of injuries, first year at college, an other such distractions. The year before? Good grief, she was still in high school.

Sorry, this is not John Daly. If she isn't playing golf 3 years from now, she's not going to be sitting in a Hooter's signing memorabelia for pocket change ... she'll probably be working as a junior executive in a multi-national corporation.

I, personally, hope she sticks with golf. Her talent is tremendous. When she finally finshes college, and focuses full time on her game, I'm quite confident this woman will be one of the top players on the LPGA.

Haters are just haters. I remember this last year a bunch of folks screaming she didn't deserve exemptions. Fine. She's now gone to the first stage of Q School, and pretty much sailed through it without breaking a sweat. Looks pretty good for her to earn her LPGA card next year. She's re-grouped. Next year, she'll be in her second year at Stanford, probably have an LPGA card, and still we get these predictions that in three years she'll be on her third marriage, and working at a McDonalds?

Next year she still won't be playing full time (she - unlike a lot of the young lollipops on tour - is intelligent enough to understand that maybe playing a sport isn't everything in life ... and will finish college before she focuses full time on golf). But I suspect we may see her quietly finishing quite well in more than one LPGA tournament next year.

And spare me the hints of "inside" information from Nike. Everyone on earth knows someone at Nike. Who cares what they think? (I actually think that is total BS ... Nike doesn't agree with your opinion ... they like press ... and Michelle Wie is one of the very few golfers on earth that can, to this day, materially affect the gallery size and viewership numbers of a golf tournament). Truth is, Nike is "unhappy" with Tiger also (the fact that he still refuses to use a Nike putter makes a few people at Nike crazy). Does that mean they'll boot him out of the Nike stable at the next contract negotiation? Good grief ... no.

Deals are not signed because Nike wants Michelle to like them, or Michelle wants to be liked by Nike. Deals like that are signed because both parties are using each other. They're "unhappy" (according to some secret source of yours?) ... okey dokey. Guess what, if they cut her loose after the contract ends, pretty much every other OEM of women's clubs will be competing to pick her up. She isn't even out of college yet, and she's already a global brand.

I say all this for two reasons ... one minor, and one major. The minor one is that I've read her resume, her biography. She doesn't have the profile of a loser, but rather, of someone that has already achieved more with her life in 20 years (in terms of what she's learned, what she can do, and the money she's made) than most people do in their entire lifetimes. The major point is, however, that I've seen her play on more than one occasion. And this women, when she is in sync, has the sweetest golf swing of any woman I've ever seen play the game. It is nearly magical, it is so beautiful. It is more than just practice ... it is a combination of talent, and the fact that her body itself seems to have been constructed to play golf. Someone like this does not come around very often.

(Tiger gives me the same feeling ... it's like if you wanted to sit down at a drawing board and design the perfect body for the game - the right height, weight, flexibility, strength without excess bulk, that's what you'd come up with).

Haters, if they wish, can root for her to collapse into a life of single-motherhood crack addication at McDonalds. But why?

Me? I'm rooting for her. I want to see her, three years from now, emerging as a dominant force on tour. I'd love to see her make a PGA cut. Even finish in a top ten. Rooting for someone that can break all sorts of unthinkable boundaries gives me a lot of pleasure ... and this women ... with a few more years of maturity, definately has the talent - and the drive - to do so.

You go girl ...

At this point, she's a circus sideshow attraction. Nothing more. She has not won anything, and can hardly make cuts. She's all hype. People come to see her because the mighty marketing machine of Nike, not because of her great play. There has been no great play. She does not even make cuts. In fact she had a couple games where she shot in the 80s. How many times have you seen Annika or Ochoa shoot an 85?

She was a GREAT amateur. Terrible pro. She has not done jack squat in 4 years. She had like 30 sponsor exemptions since turning pro and not done squat. Those 20 year old Asians on the LPGA tour right now would give her a spanking and send her home with another MC to her credits. In 2006 she came in 3rd. since then.....nothing.

Sorry. She has talent. But she will never be a Annika or Ochoa. She might win once a year or so, but that's about it.

In three years she will be more likely working the drive-thru at McDonalds, getting arrested for drugs and on her 3rd marriage. She's the Macaulay Culkin of golf. Her family has ruined her career. Instead of going to college and learning to win, her dad has pushed her to play against people she's can't beat. All she knows is losing and her dad won't let anyone near her who can help. Unless her parents step aside and let professions guide her, she will be the next big out has-been hacking her way through mini tours or a total joke like John Daly living on sponsor exemptions. I know some people from Nike and the word is they are extremely unhappy with her and her dad.

Wello, you can be a hater if you wish ... except this woman just doesn't fit your profile. She's excellent in school. She has four languages, and is currently learning Mandarin (in her "spare time"). She's adament about finishing college (one of the best in the US) before she focuses full time on the tour. She's worth about $10MM (most kids would love their parent to "ruin" their careers that badly), has played on both the PGA and LPGA Tours, (and all over Asia), has worldwide name recognition, a big following of fans, and what is she ... er, 20 or so?

This is not the picture of some undisciplined drunk, but rather, that of a Type A overachiever. Even if she decides to never pick up a golf club again, she'd probably have a serious career in a half dozen different industries (four or five languages, experience with the press, and a Stanford degree ... is not exactly the profile of someone who's destiny is to be "hacking her way through mini-tours").

Last year was bad ... full of injuries, first year at college, an other such distractions. The year before? Good grief, she was still in high school.

Sorry, this is not John Daly. If she isn't playing golf 3 years from now, she's not going to be sitting in a Hooter's signing memorabelia for pocket change ... she'll probably be working as a junior executive in a multi-national corporation.

I, personally, hope she sticks with golf. Her talent is tremendous. When she finally finshes college, and focuses full time on her game, I'm quite confident this woman will be one of the top players on the LPGA.

Haters are just haters. I remember this last year a bunch of folks screaming she didn't deserve exemptions. Fine. She's now gone to the first stage of Q School, and pretty much sailed through it without breaking a sweat. Looks pretty good for her to earn her LPGA card next year. She's re-grouped. Next year, she'll be in her second year at Stanford, probably have an LPGA card, and still we get these predictions that in three years she'll be on her third marriage, and working at a McDonalds?

Next year she still won't be playing full time (she - unlike a lot of the young lollipops on tour - is intelligent enough to understand that maybe playing a sport isn't everything in life ... and will finish college before she focuses full time on golf). But I suspect we may see her quietly finishing quite well in more than one LPGA tournament next year.

And spare me the hints of "inside" information from Nike. Everyone on earth knows someone at Nike. Who cares what they think? (I actually think that is total BS ... Nike doesn't agree with your opinion ... they like press ... and Michelle Wie is one of the very few golfers on earth that can, to this day, materially affect the gallery size and viewership numbers of a golf tournament). Truth is, Nike is "unhappy" with Tiger also (the fact that he still refuses to use a Nike putter makes a few people at Nike crazy). Does that mean they'll boot him out of the Nike stable at the next contract negotiation? Good grief ... no.

Deals are not signed because Nike wants Michelle to like them, or Michelle wants to be liked by Nike. Deals like that are signed because both parties are using each other. They're "unhappy" (according to some secret source of yours?) ... okey dokey. Guess what, if they cut her loose after the contract ends, pretty much every other OEM of women's clubs will be competing to pick her up. She isn't even out of college yet, and she's already a global brand.

I say all this for two reasons ... one minor, and one major. The minor one is that I've read her resume, her biography. She doesn't have the profile of a loser, but rather, of someone that has already achieved more with her life in 20 years (in terms of what she's learned, what she can do, and the money she's made) than most people do in their entire lifetimes. The major point is, however, that I've seen her play on more than one occasion. And this women, when she is in sync, has the sweetest golf swing of any woman I've ever seen play the game. It is nearly magical, it is so beautiful. It is more than just practice ... it is a combination of talent, and the fact that her body itself seems to have been constructed to play golf. Someone like this does not come around very often.

(Tiger gives me the same feeling ... it's like if you wanted to sit down at a drawing board and design the perfect body for the game - the right height, weight, flexibility, strength without excess bulk, that's what you'd come up with).

Haters, if they wish, can root for her to collapse into a life of single-motherhood crack addication at McDonalds. But why?

Me? I'm rooting for her. I want to see her, three years from now, emerging as a dominant force on tour. I'd love to see her make a PGA cut. Even finish in a top ten. Rooting for someone that can break all sorts of unthinkable boundaries gives me a lot of pleasure ... and this women ... with a few more years of maturity, definately has the talent - and the drive - to do so.

You go girl ...

Good post.

She'll come back strong as long as:

- she gets away from David Leadbetter (did she already?)

Her swing before she became DL's student was much much better (although admitting that she was way younger).

...I know some people from Nike and the word is they are extremely unhappy with her and her dad.

But she's probably banked more money than 95% of the wannabes on this site will in a lifetime.

This is true. But the average lottery winner has banked more money than I'll make in my lifetime too.

And I don't envy his skill at picking numbers.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

At this point, she's a circus sideshow attraction. Nothing more. She has not won anything, and can hardly make cuts. She's all hype. People come to see her because the mighty marketing machine of Nike, not because of her great play.

She was a GREAT amateur. Terrible pro. She has not done jack squat in 4 years.

I don't format, but...

Tournament 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008

Kraft Nabisco Championship T9 LA 4LA T14LA T3LA DNP DNP

LPGA Championship DNP DNP 2LA T5LA 84 DNP

U.S. Women's Open T39 T13TLA T23 T3LA WD CUT

Women's British Open DNP DNP T3LA T26 CUT DNP

All that hate is going to eat you up.

Good post.

She'll come back strong as long as:

- she gets away from David Leadbetter (did she already?)

Her swing before she became DL's student was much much better (although admitting that she was way younger).

She is still suffering from "Lead poisoning". :fool: :bad: :glare: They were on TGC last night talking about her prep for Q-school...

I don't format, but...

She played 9 tournaments in 2008. Missed half the cuts with a DQ thrown in for laughs. This girl is not that good. Believe the Nike marketing hype and that idiot David Leadbetter if you want. They are already making excuses if she plays bad. I'm hearing some jive about lead poisoning. LOL...whatever. This girls has more medical problems than a cancer patient. Why can't they just admit she shot a 85 cause she's hype? No need to make up lies about a fractured wrist. Her wrist did not seem to be fractured until she was about to get a DQ and lose her exemption for the year. TWICE IN ONE MONTH!

It reminded me of that scene in Caddy Shack "OHH...my arm! It's broke!"

I don't format, but...

She played 9 tournaments in 2008. Missed half the cuts with a DQ thrown in for laughs. This girl is not that good. Believe the Nike marketing hype and that idiot David Leadbetter if you want. They are already making excuses if she plays bad. I'm hearing some jive about lead poisoning. LOL...whatever. This girls has more medical problems than a cancer patient. Why can't they just admit she shot a 85 cause she's hype? No need to make up lies about a fractured wrist. Her wrist did not seem to be fractured until she was about to get a DQ and lose her exemption for the year. TWICE IN ONE MONTH!

It reminded me of that scene in Caddy Shack "OHH...my arm! It's broke!"

Read a little closer..."lead" as in Leadbetter.

So Rockinar...you ever watched Michelle play live? I have years of experience around the best players in the world (of both genders) and believe me..she's good. Feel free to believe what you like but those with any type of relative experience know the truth.

Cheers...