2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Guru

mgags

hmmm... Since the president of the company posted on the forum, he should start a topic and start customer service... may be pay some advertising fee here, to become official.

This tread was really helpful but seems little bit more pro guru.

Yet I'm interested tho. Every complaint I've heard about sky caddie from those who own it, is the drain on the battery. Repeated recharge burns the battery. (On rechargeable that is)

How are the retention of the battery capacity after repeated recharge??

Almost all set for 2021

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my experience with Golf Guru.

I bought a refurbished unit (gray scale that someone traded in for color). I hadn't even had it on the course yet, and I dropped it on to a tile floor. It was broken, and I was concerned about if I would have to pay for repairs out of my pocket. I mailed it to them Wednesday afternoon. They received it Thursday afternoon around 3:00 pm. Not only did they receive it, they repaired it and got it back out by 5:00 pm the same day. The unit showed up at my door Friday afternoon.

They have no control over transit times between Round Rock, TX and Houston, TX, and I benefitted from the proximity. They did turn this around much faster than I expected. I didn't expect them to even look at the unit until Friday at the earliest.

Great customer service.

I was able to get out this wkend with my refurbed unit. Loved it!!

All major bunkers, water, etc were already market. Being able to move the pin and location from the rough was great as was being able to keep score and stats (I already belong to ushandicap.com) I had no problems with viewing the screen at all.

I am very pleased with my purchase.

Here is a Golf Guru story with the heading of "it can only happen to me".

I've had my Guru less than a month and was using it on a golf outing to Myrtle Beach, SC. We were playing Myrtle Beach National West when on the 12 green we noticed some squirrels wandering around our carts. Shortly after that one of the squirrels had an object in its mouth and after ivestigating the carts, realized it was my GPS. We chased the squirrel hoping it would drop it but instead it went up a tall pine tree. We tried throwing golf balls at it to no avail. The squirrel just sat on a limb with the Guru in its mouth. Another group behind us came up and offered to help with offering the squirrel some food. It came down the tree, dropped the Guru and went to the food. The damage to the Guru was devestating. Most buttons were chewed and broken off. The screen was so badly scratched from its teeth that most of the information was not readable. One of the guys in our group thought that you might could use a slogan that the guru is so accurate that even squirrels find the need to use one on the golf course.

After golf, I inquired at the Myrtle Beach National proshop to see if they were going to step up and take some responsibilty as there were no warnings from the starter nor any posted regarding the squirrels.  The answer I got was there was nothing they could do.  There were several things they "could" do but decided not to.

I know there is no gurantee for such incidents but I sent this information to the Golf Guru President.  After a couple days, I was told to send the unit back and they would repair it.  I got an e-mail yesterday saying it was ready to be shipped back.  There is no question Golf Guru has the best customer support, bar none.

Now some info about using the Guru.  On all the courses in Myrtle Beach we played, the Guru performed great.  It provided information on most all hazards including distances to and distances to clear.  Until the unit was damaged,  the battery time was 15 - 16 hours.  Distances appeared to be very accurate.  Anyone looking for simplicity, the Guru fits the bill, as well.  When your at the course, turn it on and the course is there.  It automatically moved to the next hole.

Overall the Golf Guru is a great GPS and the Golf Guru support is outstanding.

Anxiously awaiting the return of my GPS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the black and white version have the ability to track all shot distances with the distance table and club selection feature?

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

• 3 weeks later...

Great story about the squirrel!! That is hilarious. Those squirrels down there are bigger than normal, aren't they? Guru support is unbelievably kind to take care of this incident. But as to asking for the course to help, that seems a little silly to expect them to be responsible. Odds of that happening again may be 10 million to 1. You didn't get any hot dog or chip grease on the unit fom you fingers, did you? I'm waiting for my guru to be delivered later today or tomorrow. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...
Guru doesn't make enough margin on the units they sell and then they don't charge anything for the downloads. They don't have enough revenue flow and can't possibly stay in business that way.

I guess they're hoping to get something from the patent suit, but I don't see that going their way either.

I think they're doomed and I believe the retailers have recognized this so they don't carry them.

Phil, I see you're sitting on this topic just waiting for a post, so come on and tell me why this is the best unit in the world even though the demand for them is low. If it wasn't low, you can bet the retailers would be stocking them.

Everything this guy has said is obviously based on a moronic opinion. GG has been around since the early 90s, and as a matter of fact, are the originators of golf gps! I guess my imac is a piece of crap too, because your not gonna find that at many retailers either. The reason for that is that Apple will not authorize just ANY retailer to sell their superior product! Keep on using your pc (piece of crap), though. I'm buyin me a guru!! :bb:

Sorry, had to add this... I've been on NUMEROUS golf forums, and have done extensive research on ALL gps models, and all I see is "got rid of my skycaddie and got a guru" every where I go! Not once have I seen "got rid of my guru to get a sky caddy"! It's more like,"I'm upgrading to the newer guru"! All reviews on the guru and especially the quick response support from GG have been 5 stars! So keep on payin those dues and fees, and waiting for that call or email from your lame product/support when you don't know what is wrong with ur skycrappy. And don't be asking me what the yardage to the pin is when you can't pick up a satellite. Vent over. :bb: