2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Driver and best ball for swing speed in low 90's?

greyguy

I am an 8 handicap who is currently playing with a Ping G10 driver 13 degrees. I currently get between 225 and 235 (depending on the fairway) if I hit the ball solidly off the tee. I currently use the Calloway Tour or Bridgestone 330 RX or S.

I am looking for more distance off the tee (just like everyone else) but still have good feel around the greens. Does anyone with a low 90's swing speed find a great combination of driver and ball?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the E 6. I have been playing ProV1x for over 2 years, I switched a week ago. I am hitting longer and straighter drives, Irons are about ½ to ¼ club longer, with an addition roll out on the greens, however, they feel soft off the putter and great when chipping. Try them, they are great, plus they are cheap!

Both of your ball choices should be just fine. I play E5+ mostly, love the urethane cover, longer than most high end balls for me at mid 90s SS but soft and spins enough to hold greens. $25 a box is also fantastic. Spent plenty of rounds with Callaway Tour balls, they work very well (just ask Titleist). I would continue to play Callaway if there is a deal on them.

Really hard to say what driver would work best for you. Get to a demo day, or a launch monitor w/trained pro. There is no better way to pick a driver than to see the results.

Best of luck.

Try and pick up a COBRA L4V, stock red board shaft in regular, tipped 1/2 inch. Either E5+ or E6+ would be excellent as well as the NXT Tour if you want something a bit softer.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I am an 8 handicap who is currently playing with a Ping G10 driver 13 degrees. I currently get between 225 and 235 (depending on the fairway) if I hit the ball solidly off the tee. I currently use the Calloway Tour or Bridgestone 330 RX or S.

I am looking for more distance off the tee (just like everyone else) but still have good feel around the greens. Does anyone with a low 90's swing speed find a great combination of driver and ball?

You've got a good driver and good ball.

Were you fitted for that loft? A Ping G10 at 13 could be as high as 14-14.5.

Too much carry, not much roll? Checked the shaft for fit?

I am mid 90's at best -- and have tried a Ping Rapture V2 at 10 deg with the BB Regular - I was getting 240+ combo on a Trackman and range balls. With a real ball, I'd get more.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Yes, I was fitted with a launch monitor. I was using a 10.5 burner and I was getting too much spin (over 3500) and not enough launch angle. ("That was when I was trying the stack and tilt) I have just completed a week in Tuscon and have hit the ball farther than I have in some time (230 to 245yards) with driver and using one club less with irons than what I am used to up north. Some of the difference is elevation and warmer air but still I am hitting the ball much better since I went back to "The Golf Machine" clubhead lag basics. Thanks for all the advice.

My husband is not a senior, but his SS is 90-95. He just bought a TM Tour Burner Regular flex 10.5 deg and he loves it. He had the Burner 9.5 stiff before that. He got on the monitor and his numbers are much better with the Tour Burner. He tells me how great it is every time we play...

His favorite balls are the new TaylorMade red or the ProV1X.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a G10 with a Pershing R flex shaft. I tried the Bridgestone 330 RX and it definitely is longer than the Pro V1 for me. But I haven’t found anything including the Callaway that performs as well as a Titleist around the greens. I can stick a Pro V1 and get it to bite hard on short chips, but the RX never stops. I tried the e5 and e6 and found the e5 to be a better performing ball in both distance and bite.

The problem Titleist Pro V's cost too much and so do the other name brand quality balls. It's a scam, plain and simple. One would ask then how much do you think quality golf balls should cost? My answer; $36 max!

Last year I was lucky, I ran into an inventory reduction sale of e5’s at $8.50 a dozen. I bought every dozen on the shelf. I asked if they had more in the back and the clerk said it was an “off the shelf” reduction sale so he couldn’t bring out more. I told my friends about what happened but the price was back to $28.95 the next morning.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

I find when it's cooler I get the best results from the e6+ with some less control around the green. The rest of the time I've been using the 300-RX (since last fall). I have 2 drivers at the moment a 2007 Burner with a T50 Accra shaft. This combo give me good distance and roll. The other is a 2008 Tour Burner with stock shaft. A bit more carry with this but less roll. I'm thinking it has a bit too much spin and will probably reshaft it. I think the old adage of Use as soft a shaft as you can control works well the older I get.

My swing speed with a driver is about like yours. I have been playing the B330RX, but I've found another ball which IMO is much better. The ProV1x (2009 version) is totally different from prior versions. Give it a try.

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

I think you've got a good solid all purpose driver - the same one I have. My swing speed is slightly lower, in the high 80 range. I hit the ball just slightly further than you, but I play a slight draw which helps with run out (roll / overspin). What is your trajectory like? Because 13 degree loft seems pretty high to me. I use 10.5 degree. I assume you have the R flex stock TFC shaft? My other thought is, you can probably find a ball that will give you 10 more yards but at the sacrifice of less spin around the greens. I used to play the Noodle plus and I think you will find it has great distance. Decent feel around the greens but not much spin. I recently changed to the Srixon z-urs, not for distance, but for better spin into the greens. I share your pain - if you can't get those drives out to about 250 yards then we are hitting too many hybrids into the greens, versus mid irons.

My swing speed is about the sames as yours. The ball that I found to be the best for me, head and shoulders above anything else is the Nike Power Soft in the green box. I can play any ball I want, and this ball plays as well as any Titleist ball out there. (for me) Most all of my senior friends have swithed to the Nike ball too. I read in one of those Golf Magazines that it was the top rated ball for under $25.

It's OK to tell people how good you are, but when your're really good, they'll tell you.

taylormade black LDP. my dad hit 1 of his furthest drives with this. increased his carry with a longer climbing period, not ballooned. ie took longer to reach the apex. i'm starting to think this LDP thing works. so do try the burner tp with LDP :)

I did extensive head-to-head tests of balls and I can second the TM Black LDP, best distance + control combo I've found with a similar SS as yours.

• 2 weeks later...
I play E5+ mostly, love the urethane cover, longer than most high end balls for me at mid 90s SS but soft and spins enough to hold greens. $25 a box is also fantastic.

+1. My swingspeed is low 90's and I've experimented with lots of premium and distance balls. The Bridgestone e5+ gives me the best combination of distance and greenside manners. My Golfsmith has them on sale this week for $19.99 so I loaded up.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

I tried the Bridgestone RX, and was not impressed with the distance. The TaylorMade TP Red LDP plays about 5 - 10 yards longer for me, with a swing speed of 93 - 95. As far as drivers go, I just switched to a 10.5 degree Cleveland Hibore XLS, with the Fujikura Gold stiff shaft. Maybe about 5 yards longer than my Big Bertha 460, 9 degree stiff, due to slightly lower launch angle, and lower spin, getting a little more rollout after it hits the ground. Not sure why the 10.5 launches lower then the 9 degree, but I hit them both on the launch monitor, the Hibore was around 12, the BB 14.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I am a senior with a SS of 88-92. The driver that works best for me is the Mizuno MX-700. As for a ball, since you are an 8 handicap, you will probably benefit most from a urethane ball for spin and control. I would recommend the Srixon Z-URS; its last year's model so its pretty cheap these days where you can find it.

FL - Mizuno 600 with pulled Ping G10 BB stiff shaft (plays a little soft) and Pro V1

NJ - Mizuno 600 with Fujikura regular shaft (3rd shaft this spring) and Pro V1. Will try new Adams 9015D with 9.5* matrix reg shaft today. Love to try new drivers and still haven't found one that peaks my interest. Might be up on the FS section later next week....:-) Hope not.

Still play Pro V1 because of their play around the greens. Distance seems OK to me (have not tested a lot of different balls) but have noticed a definite difference around the greens if not using Pro V1.