Adams Speedline

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rep brought this driver by the shop last week and I had a chance to hit it a bunch. Adams hired Texas A&M University to research the aerodynamics of the current drivers on the market. They where able to determine that most of them are not very aerodynamic. There whole marketing campaign is Faster equals longer. With a more aerodynamic club head and less drag you can swing the club faster resulting in longer drives. Their claim is an average of 2-6 mph gain on swing speed.

MY TEST RESULTS:

I hit my driver (Callaway FT-IQ) 10 times on the Vector Pro. My average club head speed was 100.5 mph.

I then hit the Speedline 10 times. My club head speed increased to 105.5 and I picked up an additional 18 yards total distance.

Needless to say I ordered one for myself and a bunch for the shop.

I think it's worth noting that one of my employee's performed the same test with his current driver. He has an average swing speed of 126 mph and he didn't notice a real difference in speed with the Speedline. IMO for players with faster swings I don't know how much of a benefit they will realize, but for players with slower swing speeds I see this being a legitimate driver.

Played my first round with it yesterday. mild distance increase. more forgiving than my XTD pro.Its A Draw machine, Love the shape. Not real fond of the of the AXIX shaft, the tourqe numbers are to high but it seamed to work. I will put it back in the shop and order one with a ozik, see how that works. I have the 9015D also and speed line goes much higher. both 9.5 degrees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can you tell me anywhere I can buy just a LH head for this? I'd like a 8.5, but I think it only comes in 9.5 for lefties.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

Can anyone comment on the face angle of the draw model to the standard?

Is the standard open or square? I couldn't find the info on the Adams website, but maybe I was looking in the wrong spot.

Don't know what the website specs say, but from looking at one in the golf shop....

For me the draw version is offset with a closed face.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

Just thinking-if an aerodynamic head is actually functional how about shafts that are wedge shaped to decrease drag? dayll

LOL ever hear of the Air Hammer

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

Got a Speedline on Ebay for $200. Mine is equipped with the Matrix shaft that usually comes with the A4. Only have one round under my belt but I really like it so far. Distance is a little better than my Titleist 907 D2. I did try out the Speedline on a launch monitor and I picked up an additional 3 mph in clubhead speed. Great looking club at address with no markings to distract you and it has a very traditional shape.

• 5 weeks later...

I hit the 12.5 draw, senior "A" Axis shaft Speedline at demo day this weekend. Best in show for me. Watched other older guys just hammer it one after another on Friday. Word must have gotten around cause when I went back on Saturday they were swamped at the Adams tent with every position filled with Speedlines on the range. I just stood there and watched everyone smack it up the middle high and far. I think Adams is on to something...

P.S. the R9 and Burner were getting long looks too down the way at TM.

I finally got out and used the Speedline driver (10.5°/Axis R flex) yesterday, it was my first on course experience with it. I purchased it back in Jan/February after trying a number of different drivers at an indoor range session (FT9, FT-IQ, A4, Rapture V2), it was the best fit for me on the simulator. After yesterday it appears I made the correct choice, it is straight, predictable, better distance than my other driver (07 9.5° TM Burner TP), I love this club.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

SURPRISE DRIVER --- Went to demo day today with the intention of hitting the A4 with different shaft combos. They had ONE A4 and about 12 Speedlines. I killed the A4 on an indoor monitor earlier this year and wanted to see it outside. Unfortunately the OZIK 60-S just didn't get it for me. Felt whippy and was getting long tall and rights... I think the 70gram or an X would fit me better.

Tried a couple combos in the Speedline and was equally unimpressed with the Stiff shafts both the red & the blue. Then I got my hands on the 9.5 with the blue X stiff and it blew EVERYTHING out of the WATER. Literally 15 yards or more with much better control. Why I didn't buy it on the spot, I'll never know...

If I was going to buy today It would be the Speedline 9.5 with th Axiv Blue X...

For me, the Speedline is the best head I've hit in a long time. The A4 Tech just didn't do it for me. The Speedline reminds me of the r510 tp in terms of sound and feel. Higher launch and spin though.

After trying a couple shafts in mine, I'm finally very happy with the Speedline 9.5* / GD Purple Ice 65-S combo. I had never tried the Purple Ice before but it is a really great shaft. Much better for me than the stock Prolaunch Axis Blue 60 stiff (too weak) and the Tour AD YSQ 65 stiff (still not quite stiff enough). Actually, the Axis Blue in x-stiff might have worked. May try that sometime...

I tried the speedline with the Axis Blue 60S and was absolutely bombing it! Huge, straight drives all day with a nice sound that isn't offensive. Unfortunately after hitting about 7 balls the head broke off of the shaft and I was left with nothing :( Great driver Adams but what the hell is that all about?!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my new 9.5 with the Axis Blue stiff shaft. I HATED IT.

- Shaft too long for the small sweet spot

- Dull impact sound

- Spaghetti shaft

In hindsight I should have tried the Axis Red instead, but I really want a MID-launch shaft, not a LOW one. I'm going to try the A4 Tech 10.5 stock Ozik next, I'm not going back to the Speedline.

Just got my new 9.5 with the Axis Blue stiff shaft. I HATED IT.

- Shaft too long for the small sweet spot

- Dull impact sound

- Spaghetti shaft

In hindsight I should have tried the Axis Red instead, but I really want a MID-launch shaft, not a LOW one. I'm going to try the A4 Tech 10.5 stock Ozik next, I'm not going back to the Speedline.

A low launch shaft in this head would most likely produce the mid launch you were looking for. I'm getting ready to put a Rombax 6Z08 in a Speedline 9.5*. My current setup with a Purple Ice 65-S works well as long as I tee it down a little. I for one love the dull sound this club makes. To each his own...

• 2 weeks later...

I had read in another post on WRX that the Speedline Classic was somehow tweaked to lower the spin rate. But don't take that for gospel because I can't locate the actual post to quote from.

I do know that the Speedline Classic is Tour Only, for now. New products will be released in July; maybe the Classic (?)

But it is very nice to hear that Adams has a winner. Plus, they're including a free FW with a Driver purchase, I so like this company :good:

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

I had read in another post on WRX that the Speedline Classic was somehow tweaked to lower the spin rate. But don't take that for gospel because I can't locate the actual post to quote from.

I do know that the Speedline Classic is Tour Only, for now. New products will be released in July; maybe the Classic (?)

But it is very nice to hear that Adams has a winner. Plus, they're including a free FW with a Driver purchase, I so like this company :good:

cool :beach: something to look forward to.

• 2 months later...

I love this site. Read it often but rarely participate. The advice of these people who know so much about equipment and the game is invaluable.

Hoping someone can give me some advice. Looking for a new driver and just tried a Tech A4. Solid driver but I had trouble pushing it (guess due to the slightly open face). I'm 53yo, 5'11", thin and fairly athletic. Homemade swing that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. No registered handicap but probably stand at about a 16-17 (shoot in the 80s). Slow swing speed in low 90s.

Thinking about trying a Speedline Driver but not sure what loft/shaft combination. I hit driver rather low (not on purpose) and distance usually 240 bad day and 275 good day. Have always played a 10.5* R-flex.

Since this club is suppose to add 2-4mph clubhead speed, would put me on the border of stiff flex. And, if club is high launch, can I get a more boring flight going with a 9* on this one.

Anybody here have a suggestion on combo of loft/shaft that might work best for me based on their experience with this club? Thanks for any help. JOE