Golf Course Selection

I'm going to St. Thomas!
Hello all. I was wondeirng if I could get some help with where to play while I'm down there. I know there is one course down there called Mahagony Run. It's the only course on St. Thomas island by itself. But st. John and other places are very close. I believe 5 minutes by water taxi or somethiing of that sort. Can anyone give any good suggestions to where to play?? Or possibly a review of Mahagony Run??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played Mahogany Run when I was down there this spring and summer. It's a really interesting course, with GREAT views. There's a stretch of three holes over/on the ocean-INCREDIBLE! The grass was dried out when I was there, but it played great. The only thing is it is squeezed in there, so there's narrow, tight lies. Also you could end up on the next hole easily. Good luck!

I played Mahogany Run when I was down there this spring and summer. It's a really interesting course, with GREAT views. There's a stretch of three holes over/on the ocean-INCREDIBLE! The grass was dried out when I was there, but it played great. The only thing is it is squeezed in there, so there's narrow, tight lies. Also you could end up on the next hole easily. Good luck!

Played Mahogany Run back in march, beautifull setting, the devils triangle is a great stretch of 3 holes right on the ocean. Interesting course greens are a little tricky at first. some really good holes and a few that are just ok. A few blind tee shots, I was lucky to play with the pro from the cruise ship and he helped out a ton with course knowledge, and saved me some strokes. btw hybrid or 3wd off the 1st tee I cut the corner and blew right through the fairway, I guess they didnt think I was gonna pipe one 270+ on the first tee.

I could think of a whole lot worse places to play at on vacation though. I would play it again in a heartbeat. See attached pic of #11 ? approach shot coming back down hill. cant complain about the view one bit

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I hit one right into the swamp/muck on the right after trying to cut the corner on the first tee, don't try and cut it. We played with a sail-boat captain though from 2-18 and played better. I have a picture of the same hole on the green...just not on this computer. Lot of fun though.

OT: If you're going do some scuba diving at the Calf and Cow or the Wreck of the Rhone-AWESOME especially the CandC. Tunnel, turtles, sting rays, coral arches, caves-amazing

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I looked on the site and everyone talks about this "devils traingle" can anyone maybe explain. It looks nice though and from the pics and comments you guys have left it looks like it will be quite the experience. My only question is how is the length?? It seems like at only 6000 yards it would be pretty short of a course. Possibly easy?? No clue until I get there and play though I guess

I played Mahogany Run back in the 80's. I remember it being fairly short, but as mentioned some doglegs that can take a driver out of your hand. I seem to remember some fairways with quite a bit of slope, which makes it hard to keep it in the fairway sometimes. The Triangle is a special set of holes, but I also recall a par 5 on the front side where you tee off on an elevated tee. There in the background is the ocean, and usually 2 -3 cruise ships. That tee shot is one of my fondest memories of the course.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I looked on the site and everyone talks about this "devils traingle" can anyone maybe explain. It looks nice though and from the pics and comments you guys have left it looks like it will be quite the experience. My only question is how is the length?? It seems like at only 6000 yards it would be pretty short of a course. Possibly easy?? No clue until I get there and play though I guess

Devils triangle is a stretch of 3 holes starting with #13 that is my picture above (not #11) a shorter par 4 that is a somewhat blind tee shot that you could play iron or hybrid off the tee to about 200 yards and leave a short iron/wedge in. You do not want to miss left on this one. #14 is a awesome par three over the ocean 8 iron or 7iron if the grass is like it was when I was there you can play safe and aim towards the huge hill on the right and the ball will roll down to the green. # 15 is a par five that plays to a semi blind tee shot with a lake infront of the green giving you a huge choice to lay up or give it a run. (I gave it a run and lost) still managed to get up and down for par and make it through the triangle at +1.

The course is not long at all but the greens will be fairly tricky to figure out the speed. They are lightning fast going down hill or down grain and very slow going back uphill and into the grain. They have to a big grain effect, and broke way more than I thought they would. They make up for the lack of distance and have quite a few holes were driver is not a good choice and you have to play for posistion. Most of the holes are also dog legs too, and keeping the ball in play is a must as the jungle is pretty thick.

# 7 you prob wont be able to see the green but is a slight dogleg right that you can hit driver on and have a shot at hitting the green and there is plent of bailout left of the green.

Really not the toughest course if you were to play it more than once but the first time out with some of the tee shots they have club selections it critical.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have a dissenting opinion. I thought Mahogany Run was a gimmicky, tricked-up course that was borderline unfair the first time you play it. If you don't know the direction and distance to hit it, balls just bounce into trouble or disappear. As I recall, the only decent course in the Virgin Islands was Carambola over in St. Croix. (Full disclosure: it's been a lot of years since I played golf in U.S. VIs, though it sounds as if Mahogany Run hasn't changed much).

M.R. is a course for the "Gee, honey, let's not go snorkeling today, let's go golfing" crowd. Some nice views though.

Well to be honest with you guys. I'm a teenager. I love courses that make you choose. Yeah I don't hit it awfully far 230 250 range. So I like where I can play against slmeome and just cause I don't hit it far they can't just beat me. It evens the field in my eyes. My strength is course management and hitting greens and fairways. In reference to the greens sounds like it will be great. I live for fast greens. They make t challengeing and isn't that why we play? But I'm excited for it. I'll be playing 4 or 5 times will I'm thee. Were staying at frenchmens reef how close is it to the course does anyone know? And also what did you guys shoot? What ca I expect about scoring conditions??

You know, just have fun and forget what I wrote. Play the course a few times and you'll learn where to hit it. Every round of golf does not have to beat you up or be at a championship course...and you won't have weather like this at home. Relax, you're on vacation! Go swimming, sailing, catch some rays (and maybe Dad will let you taste a Pina Colada!). The views and snorkeling/scuba diving are great, especially on St. John.

Why don't you use Google maps? Edit: here are some links

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=5+Estate...131836&z=14

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sttf...t-beach-resort/

http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/

I played it about 8 years ago and really enjoyed it. I was on a cruise so I didn't have my clubs and had to use rentals, but I think they were X-14's so at least they were fairly forgiving. The course was definitely fun and the devil's triangle was great, especially the par 3. Pictures don't do it justice. You have to carry a huge dropoff down to the ocean (couple hundred feet down?). When I was there they had some silly gift or something if you played the triangle at par.

Because it was a cruise outing I ended up with a random foursome (mostly hackers) and the one guy almost killed himself on the par 3 14th, and I mean literally killed himself. He hit his tee shot left and it was hung up in the brush on the cliff. The rest of us played our shots and were putting out when we noticed he was missing. Turns out he decided to climb 10 feet down the cliff and try to hit his ball out. (keep in mind that if you slip you fall a couple hundred feet and smash on the rocks). Well as we're looking around we see him climbing up holding his chin. He had hit his ball and it fired straight up, hit him in the face and broke his jaw. Really lucky he didn't fall backwards because he would have been dead. When you play 14 you'll see what I mean. He played the next hole and then rode in because of the pain. I'll never forget that round.

They also had some pictures of famous people who had played the course in the clubhouse. It was pretty impressive, Tiger and Bill Clinton are the only two I can remember.

Bottom line is you'll no doubt love the course. Have fun!

I sure hope he was playing good before that shot. Cuz that sounds completely desperate. Nothing is worth my life for a couple strokes. What an idiot. Yeah I think I will like it for sure. My biggest problem I could forsee is putting. Just watching the Mercedes Benz Open almost demonstrates it. The putts break a ton more then you could possibly imagine them breaking. I have a feeling it will be all about touch when I get there. How were the speeds when you were there? Wind play much of a factor? When I was in the Bahamas last year it was almost un enjoyable because the wind was so bad a couple days. It made it impossible to hit it anywhere. And another question. You gotta ask it. Hows the pro shop haha

Well to be honest with you guys. I'm a teenager. I love courses that make you choose. Yeah I don't hit it awfully far 230 250 range. So I like where I can play against slmeome and just cause I don't hit it far they can't just beat me. It evens the field in my eyes. My strength is course management and hitting greens and fairways. In reference to the greens sounds like it will be great. I live for fast greens. They make t challengeing and isn't that why we play? But I'm excited for it. I'll be playing 4 or 5 times will I'm thee. Were staying at frenchmens reef how close is it to the course does anyone know? And also what did you guys shoot? What ca I expect about scoring conditions??

I'm a teenager too and hit it a little bit shorter than you. Everyone else was teeing with 3-wood so it evened it out on most holes. It is a short course and can shoot low with good shots/management. The pro shop was okay, smallish.

Lol awesome. Someone finally my age I can ask about stuff. Considering your prob of the same skill level. Or close ish haha. How were the greens. I average about 30 to 29 putts per round. How were the greens? Including when putting? Like slopes and such. Chipping? Any check?? Or lots of roll out? And lastly iron shots into the green. I know I dont get tons of spin but usually my shots hit and take a bounce forward then come back a little bit. Are the greens soft or firm? Ha sorry for all the questions.. Any answers would be appreciated