2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Lower Cost Options to L.A.B. DF3

AndersonGT

As a player who loves putters I've recently started researching the new craze that L.A.B. putters has put in motion! My background is that I have owned countless putters but have always only kept two in my home. One putter for when I tend to miss left and the other when my miss tends to go right. When I started this "two putter" mindset, I originally had an 8802 along with a #9 style putter. Over the years my stroke moved towards less and less arc. I'm now to the point where I am back to a standard SC Newport and going to try something low torque/zero torque/face balanced to see how well it works. I recently tried the DF3 and was pretty darn amazed with my consistency inside of 10' however longer putts, not so much.

This got me thinking...I don't think I am ready to spend $500+ on an experiment but have not found many options similar to the DF3. Pretty sure I'm not the only one so this thread is for those similar to me, curious but not ready to throw down the cash. Would love to hear feedback from WRXers here. Below is a list of options I am considering and can find new/used under $300 with milled face except for spider and Odyssey (Don't think I could find Touloun for under $300. 

Seemore MiniGiant Deep Flange ($150-$300 depending on model)

Seemore MiniGiant HTX (#7) ($300)

Seemore SB20 ($175-$300 pending condition)

PXG Blackjack CS (+/- $250)

Wilson Staff CS22 ($350 New)

SC Futura 5S CS (+/- $300)

Taylormade Spider GT CS ($200 New) What I am leaning towards

EvnRoll ER5 CS ($275)

ODYSSEY ELEVEN TOUR LINED CS ($175-$225)

Cleveland 10.5 CS ($165-$200)

Current 2024 Bag

Ping G430 LST (Change for 2024)
Ping 425 15.5* 3 wood Tensei Orange Raw
Ping 410 18*, 22*, 27* Hybrids 
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 6i thru GW 
Taylormade ATV Original 2012 56* and 60* KBS 120
2012 Scotty Newport Select (New for 2024) or Never Compromise Gambler LTD

Vice Pro or Taylormade Tour Response

Ok, I wasn’t trying to upset the cult here. I said was really impressed but didn’t want to spend close to $600 on an experiment. Not interested in the DF 2.1 as I tried that as well. Footprint is just too big. I did not try the Mezz, Link, or B2.

The whole point of this is thread is to try something similar before making the big purchase on a DF3. I should also say I have concerns over the shaft for $600. There is a lot of info out there about issues with durability of the L.A.B. putter shaft and having to send it in to be re-calibrated. Again, I just want to try something similar before spending that $$$. Not all of us are WRX rich.

• Haha 1

Current 2024 Bag

25 minutes ago, AndersonGT said:

Ok, I wasn’t trying to upset the cult here. I said was really impressed but didn’t want to spend close to $600 on an experiment. Not interested in the DF 2.1 as I tried that as well. Footprint is just too big. I did not try the Mezz, Link, or B2.

The whole point of this is thread is to try something similar before making the big purchase on a DF3. I should also say I have concerns over the shaft for $600. There is a lot of info out there about issues with durability of the L.A.B. putter shaft and having to send it in to be re-calibrated. Again, I just want to try something similar before spending that $$$. Not all of us are WRX rich.

LOL I think the replies were just trying to explain to you that you can't decide if you'll like the taste of a watermelon by trying a cantaloupe.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

There isn't really anything else, would be like driving a Volkswagen when trying to understand what driving a Porsche is like. 

What you have listed are just mallet putters and won't perform like a LAB unfortunately. I'm also in the same boat a bit I want to test one but it's the cost of one that's stopping me so until I decide to spend I'm better off not trying to find a sub for it. 

Great answer. Thank you. Seeing how much you post about putters, your opinion weighs a little heavier. If there isn't anything even in the same realm, I may have to ponder selling my other custom putter. I know 100% that the DF3 will save me strokes on puts inside 10 feet. I'm sure with some practice I could put as well outside 20 feet and lag putts. I also tried out a few other putters and the only other one that really performed and felt good was an EVNroll 5.1 Short Slant so I could always go that route too. 

No gonna lie though, never even thought about a center shaft putter until touching that DF3 and I can't get over it. 

Current 2024 Bag

Just now, AndersonGT said:

Great answer. Thank you. Seeing how much you post about putters, your opinion weighs a little heavier. If there isn't anything even in the same realm, I may have to ponder selling my other custom putter. I know 100% that the DF3 will save me strokes on puts inside 10 feet. I'm sure with some practice I could put as well outside 20 feet and lag putts. I also tried out a few other putters and the only other one that really performed and felt good was an EVNroll 5.1 Short Slant so I could always go that route too. 

No gonna lie though, never even thought about a center shaft putter until touching that DF3 and I can't get over it. 

There are some other brands like Axis1 you could maybe snag cheap, they're close-ish and I believe Sam said if LAB didn't exist he'd roll an Axis1 but don't fully quote me on that. 

As for the Evnroll I'm sure it's good, new it's a few bucks less than the LAB but is it what you really want? 

For selling a custom putter, I'd make sure you 100% want to part with it cause if you do sell it, buy the LAB and the LAB doesn't reach your expectations and you want that customs back it might be difficult to get back or have another made. Lots of thoughts to be had I'd say save up and when you get that buy the LAB, buy what you want and get it out on the course. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I can't seem to find it atm, but I remember watching a Youtube video with Sam from LAB where he was talking about options that are closest to LAB.  There were some Odyssey Backstrykes, and maybe 2 other options. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

I ran into this problem when wanting to try a lab broomstick. Thankfully the broom DF3 didn't release when I was diving down the rabbit hole, that saved me a lot of money. I have a slant neck anser 2 clone with no sightline, it is about the complete opposite from a LAB. I have had my best putting rounds with it, and I honestly couldn't see a LAB being better unless it drops my 28 putt rounds down to 22 to be worth the price. I don't have $1000 for any club in my bag, but especially not when it is a hypothetical improvement. It would be easier to jump into one of these putters if there was some sort of demo program, or just more of them in stores. None of the "mom and pop" golf stores in my area carry LAB, and the closest PGATSS or Golf Galaxy is 3+ hours away.

I am with you and that I believe these putters have great technology that I want to try, but they are the only ones on the market. The process to make the putters is so labor intensive that no one else wants to make something similar, and that keeps the prices where they are. 

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

Posted (edited)

There aren’t similar options out there, that’s what makes a LAB a LAB. Just buy one. If it turns out you don’t like it as you hoped for then you can easily flip it. If it works out you can unload the other stuff. 

This IS golfwrx, you know….

Edited by Rosco1216
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Love how ppl find it hard to spend $500 on a putter but won’t bat an eye at buying 3 different driver setups in one season…..

• Haha 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, AndersonGT said:

If you’ve tried the DF 2.1, then you have tried the closest thing available to a DF3 without having a DF3, feel wise. If you like the feel but not the size, they made the DF 3 for that! 

Not making any judgement about $$, just the concept that anything on your list will get you “closer” to the 3 than the 2.1…

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

Love how ppl find it hard to spend $500 on a putter but won’t bat an eye at buying 3 different driver setups in one season…..

Sold my Steath on Ebay for $225 and bought Ping 430 LST used for $345. Net spent $120. Been buying and selling my equipment for years now. It can be painful. I decided to list my latest Custom putter despite what @MattM97 mentioned. I've really struggled with it and I don't deal well with too many putter choices. I'm just going to go with the stock DF3 and buy once, cry once. 

Edited by AndersonGT
  • Like 2

Current 2024 Bag

Promise I’m not upset lol.  Just making the point that there IS no Kirkland version of LAB putters (much respect to Kirkland).  They own the patent, it is extremely different than anything else, despite similar wording from competitors (I believe intentionally).  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rx1232 said:

If it makes you feel any better, yes its $600 on the experiment, but the resale value stays pretty well, so if you don't like it you won't be out the whole $600.  Where did you read about durability of the shafts?

Plus you would be supporting a company that makes their products in the USA.  I really love seeing the "made in USA" on the bottom of my DF3.  It's worth the money.

• Like 2

Sold my Steath on Ebay for $225 and bought Ping 430 LST used for $345. Net spent $120. Been buying and selling my equipment for years now. It can be painful. I decided to list my latest Custom putter despite what @MattM97 mentioned. I've really struggled with it and I don't deal well with too many putter choices. I'm just going to go with the stock DF3 and buy once, cry once. 

Yes I buy and sell equipment all the time as well. But $600 for a putter that is fit to you and how you set up to it is money better spent then a driver off eBay, not fit to you,  that gets beat up on the daily.. 

spend the money, you won’t regret it, if you do, then sell it and you will recoup 89-90% of your money back as ppl don’t want to wait 8-10 weeks for a putter 

Tri-hot double wide 

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

There isn't really anything else, would be like driving a Volkswagen when trying to understand what driving a Porsche is like

What you have listed are just mallet putters and won't perform like a LAB unfortunately. I'm also in the same boat a bit I want to test one but it's the cost of one that's stopping me so until I decide to spend I'm better off not trying to find a sub for it. 

That is one great comparison 😄

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

If there was a low cost lie angle balanced putter then lab would sue them as its patented, right?   

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TM BRNR 13.5* hzrdus gen4 black 6.5 70g 43.75"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

Sooooo….I think this was fate. Ironically I ended up finding a SC CS Putter that will retain its value (if not gain) after purchase on the bay for $260 delivered, while being a similar shape to the EVNroll 5.1 that I liked. Jury will be out for I while but I’ll make sure to update here my own personal findings going from an Anser style putter to also using a CS. If all go well, certainly in position to buy a DF in the near future.

IMG_0403.jpeg

Current 2024 Bag

Sooooo….I think this was fate. Ironically I ended up finding a SC CS Putter that will retain its value (if not gain) after purchase on the bay for $260 delivered, while being a similar shape to the EVNroll 5.1 that I liked. Jury will be out for I while but I’ll make sure to update here my own personal findings going from an Anser style putter to also using a CS. If all go well, certainly in position to buy a DF in the near future.

IMG_0403.jpeg

Not the same as a Lab putter….

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

4 hours ago, Kale_m said:

This is pretty uncommon imo

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

4 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said: