Lower Cost Options to L.A.B. DF3

AndersonGT

Buying 3 drivers in a season. I know many who do that with putters....myself included lol.  I would argue those who won't spend $500 on a putter won't spend $500 on a driver either. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Posted (edited)

To the OP...just because there is no putter quite like the DF3, doesn't mean the DF3 will be the best putter for you. Roll as many as you can, including the DF3 and see what works best. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff
  • Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

7 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Buying 3 drivers in a season. I know many who do that with putters....myself included lol.  I would argue those who won't spend $500 on a putter won't spend $500 on a driver either. 

I mean think about how many people in the past year bought the microhinge jailbird, white hot jailbird, then the Df3 or broomstick Lab, or both (with a sprinkling of the Rahm rossie a few months before too)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

To the OP...just because there is no putter quote like the DF3, doesn't mean the DF3 will be the best putter for you. Roll as many as you can, including th DF3 and see what works best. 

All good. I know the DF3 likely would work for me. I’ve been fitted before but my stroke has been changing over the years. I’m happy now that I found something new to try, even though as Sherlock Holmes pointed out a few posts ago, it’s still not a DF3 or LAB putter. I can at least get a feel if I like a CS and lower torque putter. Putts 20 feet and more are my strength while 3-foot to 10 foot are my weakness. Only goal is less three puts and more one putts. Short putts are hurting me a lot more often, especially with my putter over 45* toe hang. I’m a higher handicap around hanging around 18 which is more a result of distance in the top half of my bag. Putting is a strength and I feel confident I can capitalize on that. The only thing that is going to fix my long game is lessons. I’m done buying equipment on the top end. I didn’t want to buy the G430 LST (was fitted for) but when you hit my short ball, 5-10 yards is a HUGE difference. I’ve been stubborn about lessons but at this point, other than smaller purchases, the only thing I should be spending money on is lessons.

Current 2024 Bag

Ping G430 LST (Change for 2024)
Ping 425 15.5* 3 wood Tensei Orange Raw
Ping 410 18*, 22*, 27* Hybrids 
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 6i thru GW 
Taylormade ATV Original 2012 56* and 60* KBS 120
2012 Scotty Newport Select (New for 2024) or Never Compromise Gambler LTD

Vice Pro or Taylormade Tour Response

I’ve been tinkering with a DIY lie angle balanced putter build for the better part of a year. Tried a dozen times with 4 or 5 heads that didn’t work but after hitting some real LAB putters I kinda figured it out. 

Landed on a center-shafted mallet head with an odyssey double-bend shaft (the straight kind used to create offset on angled-hosel heads). The trick is to install the bend pointing around 1:30 on a clock for RH player. This creates onset and lightens the toe so it points a bit up. Still a work in progress and hasn’t earned a spot in my bag but getting really close. 

LAB isn’t the first ones to do this. They probably do it better than anyone else right now but the concept is not new. Oldest examples I’ve found are the Positive Putter (that you can still buy brand new) and Tech Line putters. There is also the Odyssey toe-up series and the Backstyker series. Edel’s brick and Axis brand putters, along with SeeMore. 

All these examples along with my DIY project significantly reduce torque compared to a traditional

putter, but I wouldn’t call any of them true lie-angle balanced. Had to hit a ton of putts as the epoxy dried to dial my experiments in, so there is certainly some black magic to what LAB does with its weighting. If you haven’t tried a LAB I’d suggest you do so, it takes 3 seconds to feel the difference. 

Sounds like the OP prioritizes bargain shopping over performance. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

If one of us can't afford something, we should just say so.  We all have fiscal limits.  But, trying to denigrate the desired object as a means of justifying  the purchase of a similar and cheaper substitute isn't going to benefit anyone in any way.   

All of these supposed alternative putters amplify the simple uncomplicated reality of the phrase, "Close but no cigar".

The reality here is that the LAB technology is completely unique and proven.  The other reality is that unless one can stop finessing their own putter swing manipulations, the LAB DF3 won't be a good fit.  The DF3 says, "Stop trying help me. Trust me."  

That being said, it took me two hours to even begin to recognize the significant benefit of ceasing to use my decades of blade putting swing skills and engage in complete DF3 trust.  It's not unlike allowing the autopilot to land your B747 in zero visibility conditions.  Once you understand the technology it becomes increasingly rewarding to trust that something can perform a given task better than you can.  

Two other points.   The DF3 does not promise long putts but it does allow closer second putts and it is completely deadly within 3-5 feet and confidently avoiding 3 putts is huge.  

The technology also significantly enhances distance consistency, almost amazingly so.  I think that is largely due to the weighting and "feel" at impact.  But, most likely it is mainly because once you truly trust the LAB DF3, you almost completely eliminate the unwanted "assistance" of your fast twitch muscles.  With DF3 the fast twitch muscles are removed from the equation.  

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

2 hours ago, jas904 said:

Sounds like the OP prioritizes bargain shopping over performance. 

Sounds like you could be a Country Club D-bag who judges people. I've seen a few examples of why this forum gets a lot of hate. At least you are a minority here. To quote my OP-

"This got me thinking...I don't think I am ready to spend $500+ on an experiment but have not found many options similar to the DF3. Pretty sure I'm not the only one so this thread is for those similar to me, curious but not ready to throw down the cash."

I said nothing about looking for a "bargain". I said I didn't want to spend more on a putter that costs more than 99.9% percent of putters on the market for it's stock option just to try something out. If you think that is being a cheap skate, than you are just, out of touch with 99% of golfers. Now, can I afford a Circle T? No, not if I want to tell one my kids they can't play club sports for the year. Do I collect putters, no. I keep two depending on where my game is. I've spent more on putters over the past 10 years than any club in my bag. Scotti's, Betti's, Custom Grace's, etc. but the funniest thing is a Wilson 8882 ended up being my gamer for almost 5 years. Now it's a Scotty Custom Shop Newport and after practicing with a DF3, I want something similar for my 2nd putter. If I like Center Shaft, than I will go get a fitted DF3. Until then, don't judge me for not wanting to go all out just because I had a good experience for about 15 minutes. 

12 minutes ago, SwingBlade said:

If one of us can't afford something, we should just say so.  We all have fiscal limits.  But, trying to denigrate the desired object as a means of justifying  the purchase of a similar and cheaper substitute isn't going to benefit anyone in any way.   

Again, affording it isn't a problem, in the slightest. I dunno, maybe I'm dumb for not wanting to try something half the price, sell, and then purchase the AMG Benz. You know, the day after I tried, I told my co-workers I golf with about the DF3. Let's just say they don't have any money problems either. They all laughed at paying $500 for a putter. I said you wouldn't pay $500 to take a few strokes off your handicap? Nope. I said I would but not before I try something else that I don't like to look at. Point is, not everyone has the same values and judging one probably makes you look like an Word not allowed. I love playing golf. It's my escape. I've spent a lot of money on equipment over the years. I would absolutely spend $500 to cut a few strokes off my HC. I absolutely can afford it. If the courses I played had a LAB demo, it would save me some time and energy, unfortanetly they don't, and if they did, somebody else would always be using it. 

That was the whole poing of my thread. Not sure where I ever said, what putter is exactly like a DF3??? I said similar in the OP. Guess I should have titled the thread differently. Guess I should have written center shaft, lower torque, flat lie angle, forgiving with a milled face and soft feel in the OP. Everything I just mentioned is pretty much the same except Zero Torque. Zero torque is a huge difference and the whole foundation of LAB pretty much. Take that away and yes, and we do have similar.  

Now on almost 3 pages and I got a couple recommendations and I appreciate that. Don't need to carry on anymore because I found something that hits some of those things. What I really got out of this thread was to never post a thread and probably look elsewhere for friendly forums. Oh, and ironically I found this yesterday. Wish I found it before creating this thread.

The Taylormade Spider GT is Incredible! Better Than a L.A.B Putter?

• Like 2

Current 2024 Bag

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, AndersonGT said:

Sounds like you could be a Country Club D-bag who judges people. I've seen a few examples of why this forum gets a lot of hate. At least you are a minority here. To quote my OP-

"This got me thinking...I don't think I am ready to spend $500+ on an experiment but have not found many options similar to the DF3. Pretty sure I'm not the only one so this thread is for those similar to me, curious but not ready to throw down the cash."

I said nothing about looking for a "bargain". I said I didn't want to spend more on a putter that costs more than 99.9% percent of putters on the market for it's stock option just to try something out. If you think that is being a cheap skate, than you are just, out of touch with 99% of golfers. Now, can I afford a Circle T? No, not if I want to tell one my kids they can't play club sports for the year. Do I collect putters, no. I keep two depending on where my game is. I've spent more on putters over the past 10 years than any club in my bag. Scotti's, Betti's, Custom Grace's, etc. but the funniest thing is a Wilson 8882 ended up being my gamer for almost 5 years. Now it's a Scotty Custom Shop Newport and after practicing with a DF3, I want something similar for my 2nd putter. If I like Center Shaft, than I will go get a fitted DF3. Until then, don't judge me for not wanting to go all out just because I had a good experience for about 15 minutes. 

Again, affording it isn't a problem, in the slightest. I dunno, maybe I'm dumb for not wanting to try something half the price, sell, and then purchase the AMG Benz. You know, the day after I tried, I told my co-workers I golf with about the DF3. Let's just say they don't have any money problems either. They all laughed at paying $500 for a putter. I said you wouldn't pay $500 to take a few strokes off your handicap? Nope. I said I would but not before I try something else that I don't like to look at. Point is, not everyone has the same values and judging one probably makes you look like an Word not allowed. I love playing golf. It's my escape. I've spent a lot of money on equipment over the years. I would absolutely spend $500 to cut a few strokes off my HC. I absolutely can afford it. If the courses I played had a LAB demo, it would save me some time and energy, unfortanetly they don't, and if they did, somebody else would always be using it. 

That was the whole poing of my thread. Not sure where I ever said, what putter is exactly like a DF3??? I said similar in the OP. Guess I should have titled the thread differently. Guess I should have written center shaft, lower torque, flat lie angle, forgiving with a milled face and soft feel in the OP. Everything I just mentioned is pretty much the same except Zero Torque. Zero torque is a huge difference and the whole foundation of LAB pretty much. Take that away and yes, and we do have similar.  

Now on almost 3 pages and I got a couple recommendations and I appreciate that. Don't need to carry on anymore because I found something that hits some of those things. What I really got out of this thread was to never post a thread and probably look elsewhere for friendly forums. Oh, and ironically I found this yesterday. Wish I found it before creating this thread.

Hindsight is 20/20.  The internet is a cruel, desolate place filled with trolls, grifters, and faceless meanies.  This site can be snarky, but there is also plenty of good as long as you can get past that.

i think the overwhelming majority of posts are saying - it doesn’t appear that you are really THAT interested in specifically what LAB has to offer.  WHICH IS FINE!!!

But, because many of us are knowledgeable and well-versed in this (and no this does not make us a cult), we give you feedback

letting you know that no, there is no true 1 to 1 on this at a lower cost.  There are ways to get a cheaper LAB, but only LABs are LABs.

I might not have worded the thread the way you did - it kinda subtlety suggests that LAB is inappropriate pricing their products.  Handmade, American-made, personalized, sophisticated pieces of machinery are not free - but goddamnit they work and will stand the test of time.  I encourage you to really read the other threads - this happened organically.  There’s a reason these took off and others didn’t.  

but ultimately, golf should be fun.  Have fun with whatever else you end up playing with.  

if you are asking for my personal advice?  I think you should get fitted and get a LAB. 

I used to have 30+ putters from various manufacturers.  I sold off EVERYTHING that wasn’t a LAB, because I believe so strongly in the science behind them and the results I saw.  Here is my collection now:

IMG_6811.jpeg

Edited by manVSgolf
  • Like 3

Ahhh, but didn’t just buy the C.3PO? That’s an amazing collection btw. 

Current 2024 Bag

I'm a firm believer in this technology, for sure.  Been a long time user of the Axis 1 Joey and really enjoyed the results.  Have rolled LAB models in the store and really liked the stability and simplicity of them.  

However, I was also in the same boat - not quite yet willing to pull the trigger on a LAB with the high price tag.  But wanted to try other options outside of my Axis with similar technology.  

Ended up with an old Odyssey Backstryke (there's 4 or 5 models if I'm not mistaken).  Been really enjoying it. 

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:01 AM, AndersonGT said:

Sounds like you could be a Country Club D-bag who judges people. I've seen a few examples of why this forum gets a lot of hate. ....

Now, can I afford a Circle T? No, not if I want to tell one my kids they can't play club sports for the year.....

... and after practicing with a DF3, I want something similar for my 2nd putter. If I like Center Shaft, than I will go get a fitted DF3. Until then, don't judge me for not wanting to go all out just because I had a good experience for about 15 minutes. ...

Again, affording it isn't a problem ...

I told my co-workers I golf with about the DF3. Let's just say they don't have any money problems either. They all laughed at paying $500 for a putter.

Zero torque is a huge difference and the whole foundation of LAB pretty much. Take that away and yes, and we do have similar.  ...

What I really got out of this thread was to never post a thread and probably look elsewhere for friendly forums. Oh, and ironically I found this yesterday. Wish I found it before creating this thread. ...

With respect, you just keep coming back to money and then say money isn't the issue.  Can't have it both ways.  

Nobody would object or comment if you simply said that you want to get as close to the LAB DF3 tech as possible without going over $250 or whatever price point actually works for you.

But you can't seem to simply say that.  If you had, you would likely have received a good number of positive suggestions for alternatives to LAB. 

You end by posting a link to some You Tube guy who even says, "I'm a LAB putter fan, but I can't afford 500 quid for a putter!  Jesus!!"  He says all that before telling us he found a Spyder putter he really loves.  Again, someone endorsing a DF3 alternative for much less money.  And that's OK, but no, he never says his solution is better than a LAB putter as you clearly implied.  

Glad you have apparently found a good similar LAB alternative putter at your desired price point.  But, as you yourself said, LAB zero torque "is a huge difference."  Hopefully you will be a happy camper now, but some of us likely also hope that you will spend more than 15 minutes testing a DF3.  After a few hours of testing and being fit, then you'll really know for sure whether your alternative is indeed "better."

Edited by SwingBlade
Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

35 minutes ago, SwingBlade said:

With respect, you just keep coming back to money and then say money isn't the issue.  Can't have it both ways.  

Nobody would object or comment if you simply said that you want to get as close to the LAB DF3 tech as possible without going over $250 or whatever price point actually works for you.

But you can't seem to simply say that.  If you had, you would likely have received a good number of positive suggestions for alternatives to LAB. 

Just WOW, this could be the most condescending series of posts I have ever read on this site.  WTF.  He was responding to your post where you called him out for not simply saying he couldn't afford it.  It's like you are offended that he views the product as a little overpriced? You made it about money.  

With respect??? Lol. There is nothing respectful about your replies to him. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

13 minutes ago, radiman said:

Just WOW, this could be the most condescending series of posts I have ever read on this site.  WTF.  He was responding to your post where you called him out for not simply saying he couldn't afford it.  It's like you are offended that he views the product as a little overpriced? You made it about money.  

With respect??? Lol. There is nothing respectful about your replies to him. 

Again, with respect, no one else on here accused people of being "Country Club Dirtbags."   Perhaps your outrage is a little misplaced.  Repeatedly quoting others on the egregious pricing angle and then also constantly commenting that it isn't about the money is very telling.   If those continuing conflicts in message and calling people Country Club DB's seem OK to you, that's great.  Have a nice day.  

Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

1 minute ago, SwingBlade said:

Again, with respect, no one else on here accused people of being "Country Club Dirtbags."   Perhaps your outrage is a little misplaced.  Repeatedly quoting others on the egregious pricing angle and then also constantly commenting that it isn't about the money is very telling.   If those continuing conflicts in message and calling people Country Club DB's seem OK to you, that's great.  Have a nice day.  

I will plays devils advocate.  That comment he made was, again, in response to another condescending response he got from someone else.  I am not going to sit here and be the arbiter of who's more rude than the other.  His intentions in this thread were clearly stated in the OP.  In it, he literally says he doesn't want to invest that kind of money into the experiment. 

Does it matter why?  Whether he can or cannot afford it?  He isn't comfortable with the price without testing out something similar at a lower price point to be sure.  I know a lot of people with more money than they know what to do with that wouldn't drop $600 on a putter just to see if it works long term.   And that doesn't mean your expensive putter is any less effective for you.  You don't have to come in and be degrading to people who don't see the same value in it.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

52 minutes ago, RavishingRhett said:

In the immortal  words of Mike Francesa on the legacy of Stan Lee “Who cares”

Why are people fighting over putters. Not everyone needs to like all the same stuff. 

We all need to read more Philip Larkin and just enjoy golf

Oh the memories of being new here. People will argue over anything and I mean anything, down to divot tools and ball makers on this site. 

• Haha 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 11:16 PM, AndersonGT said:

Ok, I wasn’t trying to upset the cult here.

Be very careful....

Edited by Peninsulagolfer

Ping G430 Max 10.5 - Accra FX 3.0 100 Series 40g M3
Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping s159 52 S/12, 56 S/12 + 60 H/8
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

On 5/10/2024 at 1:04 AM, SwingBlade said:

...I think that is largely due to the weighting and "feel" at impact...  

Have to disagree on 'feel'.  The feedback from a decent blade is so much greater.  From my one experience, comparing a LAB with a blade, is the same as the difference between a table tennis racket and a brick.  

I have no issues with people loving the LAB putters.  If they work for someone, then good luck to them.  Golf is hard, go with whatever makes it easier.

But hitting a small ball with something that looks like an anchor, is never going to provide as much feedback as a decent blade putter.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

On 5/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, Peninsulagolfer said:

From my one experience, comparing a LAB with a blade, is the same as the difference between a table tennis racket and a brick.  

I have no issues, But hitting a small ball with something that looks like an anchor, is never going to provide as much feedback as a decent blade putter.

I understand what you are saying and I both agree yet slightly disagree on the feedback perspective you mentioned.  

The thing I absolutely agree on is that every golfer has to seek out and find the clubs and swing that work for them.  Just because something works me does not mean that it either should or could work for anyone else.  

Similar perhaps to you and many others I have very happily played blade putters for over 20 years.  I love the beautiful feel and precise control they enable. But, I well remember the first few months where I found blades a challenge to use or control precisely. 

My special Circle T Tiger look alike Scotty remains my most prized golf club and I would never sell it.  

I regret that I allowed my thoughts about the clubs in question to get off track due to my feelings about manufacturers being criticized or somewhat ridiculed over pricing issues as opposed to simply allowing individual clubs to be evaluated on their unique design and the performance they might enable. 

So, the only way I kinda feel differently is highlighted by the term "feedback".  What I found after hours of testing with a highly respected fitter is that "feedback" is what causes us blade lovers problems when evaluating LAB putters.  

It's hard to explain, but my breakthrough came when someone else explained that  feedback is antithetical to the LAB DF3 technology.  The years of allowing feedback to fine tune how we swing and employ our fingers, hands, wrists, and even large muscles is the very thing that causes problems when testing LAB technology.

The "secret" with LAB is to completely surrender and trust it to do the work for us.  Such trust is very difficult to achieve.  There must be zero utilization of the small fast twitch muscles and nerves in the fingers, hands, and wrists.  One beneficial LAB practice routine is to completely remove the thumbs from the grip so that the hands cannot "fine tune" any aspect of the swing.  

For me, letting go and truly trusting the DF3 to do its thing was the hardest part of the transition.  Wish I had better words to explain it all.  And, again, this doesn't mean in any way that a LAB is right for others and their game.  It is only perhaps worth exploring for several hours.  

Edited by SwingBlade
Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

On 5/12/2024 at 9:20 PM, Peninsulagolfer said:

Have to disagree on 'feel'.  The feedback from a decent blade is so much greater.  From my one experience, comparing a LAB with a blade, is the same as the difference between a table tennis racket and a brick.  

I have no issues with people loving the LAB putters.  If they work for someone, then good luck to them.  Golf is hard, go with whatever makes it easier.

But hitting a small ball with something that looks like an anchor, is never going to provide as much feedback as a decent blade putter.

Feedback can be subjective from player to player and shaft selection plays heavily into the equation.  A mallet paired with a good graphite shaft has the ability to offer every bit of feedback as a blade putter.  One of the largest disadvantages of a blade is forgiveness.  I think it speaks volumes that the majority of tour players have gone to a mallet style putter over a blade.  

7 hours ago, SwingBlade said:

The "secret" with LAB is to completely surrender and trust it to do the work for us.  Such trust is very difficult to achieve.  There must be zero utilization of the small fast twitch muscles and nerves in the fingers, hands, and wrists.  One beneficial LAB practice routine is to completely remove the thumbs from the grip so that the hands cannot "fine tune" any aspect of the swing.  

Is that a positive?  Surely short game is all about feel and touch.  That 60 degree wedge you have to pop over a trap to the short sighted pin.  The bunker shot the requires a high launch from firm wet sand because the green slopes away beyond the pin.  The 8-iron from 100 metres that you need to keep under the wind and run up.

All these situations are about fine motor skills.  They require us to be like a bored kid on a wet day throwing tennis balls into a bucket.

As you can probably tell, I am a huge Bob Rotella fan...

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Feedback can be subjective from player to player and shaft selection plays heavily into the equation.  A mallet paired with a good graphite shaft has the ability to offer every bit of feedback as a blade putter.  One of the largest disadvantages of a blade is forgiveness.  I think it speaks volumes that the majority of tour players have gone to a mallet style putter over a blade.  

Sure.  I was referring the feel between a blade and a LAB sea anchor....

Ping G430 Max 3-wood
Ping G430 4-hybrid
Ping i530 5-PW + UW
Ping 2023 Anser
Ping Hoofer
Srixon Z-star

51 minutes ago, Peninsulagolfer said:

Sure.  I was referring the feel between a blade and a LAB sea anchor....

Me too.  I prefer the looks of the LABs and I think they have plenty of feel, in my opinion.  You really can't argue the forgiveness of a mallet over a blade and if feel is what you are searching for then it can easily be found with other variables like the shaft. 

I will say that most mallet putters have never much appealed to me, especially Spyders (personal bias?).   But, three weeks after buying the DF3 and putting it in the bag, I had the opportunity to try an off the shelf version of the same mallet putter that Scottie Scheffler switched to and I found it to be a really sweet and accurate  putter.  

Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5