2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

BST shipping etiquette

So just an opinion question.   Let's say you buy something on a Tuesday in BST.

What would you expect from a seller for communication and speed?

I'd expect the seller to mark the item as sold within an hour (as a confirmation of payment)

Then I'd expect to get a tracking number by the end of the next day

Finally, I'd expect the seller to actually drop the package off probably by Friday at the latest (and I think that's being generous).  

What do others think?

• Like 2

It ultimately comes down to communication on both ends. If you need an item by a certain date then that question should be asked to the seller to see if that timeframe could be met. 

The seller should be more communicative through the process. I usually over communicate to insure a smooth transaction (follow up on receipt of payment, send tracking, package shipped and follow up when package is delivered). Good luck!

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9⁰

Fairways: TaylorMade Qi10 3HL; Cobra F6 Baffler

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Titleist SM9 54⁰ and 58⁰

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Damenace613 said:

It ultimately comes down to communication on both ends. If you need an item by a certain date then that question should be asked to the seller to see if that timeframe could be met. 

The seller should be more communicative through the process. I usually over communicate to insure a smooth transaction (follow up on receipt of payment, send tracking, package shipped and follow up when package is delivered). Good luck!

I agree communication is important, but ultimately, the item is in the sellers hands.  They really control the process. Once you pay as the buyer, there's nothing more you can really do.    And I've been both the seller and buyer many times, it's just the way it is.

Absent unique circumstances, like communication of a needed timeline, I'm just trying to understand what most people think is "reasonable" for seller communication and performance.

Edited by clinkinfo

Your timeline is reasonable as originally outlined. 

I would expect sellers to have everything ready to ship so a tracking number should be generated same day/next day (Pirate Ship is easy to use!) upon payment receipt. The item should be dropped off/picked up within a day or two but the seller should be clear on the timeline. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damenace613 said:

Your timeline is reasonable as originally outlined. 

I would expect sellers to have everything ready to ship so a tracking number should be generated same day/next day (Pirate Ship is easy to use!) upon payment receipt. The item should be dropped off/picked up within a day or two but the seller should be clear on the timeline. 

Yeah, but you can't be "clear" on a timeline if one side isn't good at communication.   I've definitely had sellers who don't really say or share anything, not even tracking, but then a package arrives and the item is as described.  So....I don't think everyone is always on the same page, and you can't make someone communicate.  

Thanks for the feedback, I thought my timeline was reasonable.  I mean, as a seller, I'm always trying to be better than that and tend to ship everything the same or next day (along with communication as well).  

So when would you get concerned in my hypothetical?  I think if I don't hear anything from a seller within a week (especially if I can see they have been on the site), I get concerned.  

Understood. Have you sent a message to the seller for an update? A simple check in should hopefully provide you answers. 

1 hour ago, clinkinfo said:

I'd expect the seller to mark the item as sold within an hour (as a confirmation of payment)

Finally, I'd expect the seller to actually drop the package off probably by Friday at the latest (and I think that's being generous).  

All the same except shipping by EOD Thursday.  I try to do the same, because I expect the same.  

I sold something on eBay the other day.  Seller paid late on Saturday night.  I was home a available so I boxed it up and printed the shipping label ,but I would certainly make sure that its packed and labeled by EOD the next day.  eBay sends the tracking for me, but on BST, I have I try to pack print the label ASAP and the last two transactions, I actually send a picture of the box and closeup of the label.

UPS is closed on Sunday and I'm retired and will drop it off Monday morning before lunch at the latest.  If I was still working, I'd either take on my lunch break on Monday or at least drop it off on the way home from work.  

Again, when dealing with someone's money from long distance, I err on communication and shipping as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48*, 53* & 58*, Accra T90i S
Putter: LAB Golf DF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

As a seller, if you aren't having your girlfriend/wife or executive/personal assistant packing and shipping your gear within a month, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

anything past 3 business days without being shipped out is unacceptable imo. if this is the case it needs to be communicated by the seller at the time money exchange hands. the tracking# doesn't really mean much unless the item has been dropped off so I don't care if the seller gives it to me 30 minutes after I pay or 3 business days after I pay. if the seller marks the item sold or not I couldn't care less. 

• Like 3

It probably depends a bit on the sellers location.  For me it’s easy to stop at the post office or UPS store and ship so it’s always shipped same day or next day with tracking info PM’d o buyer and changing BST post to sold at the same time.

That said I can see a seller in a more rural location possibly taking a few days.  But that should be communicated with the buyer.

And that’s really the key for all of us I think.  We’re all pretty reasonable about shipping situations IF IT IS COMMUNICATED.  And do what you say you will.

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I'm currently in the same situation as well. Paid on Monday and buyer still has not shipped. He's created the label Thursday and gone cold. Checked his feedback and noticed that he's done this same thing 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

For the Seller and I'm the buyer. I ask for confirmation of payment received. Once I get confirmation of payment received. Then I wait a few days for shipping confirmation. Now I think it does depend on the day of transaction. Cause you know "life". If I don't get shipping confirmation within a few days. I'll message the seller. Then from there If I get no answer within at least 6 days of trying to communicate. I open a Paypal dispute. Unless clarified from the beginning like being on or going on vacation. I don't care for any weak excuses. I as a seller works 60+ hours a week. But can still find time to send a package out in a timely manner for the buyer. If I cant get a package out that day. I simply take 1 minute to message the buyer. It's not that freaking hard to communicate.

• Like 4

As a seller, I always communicate if I cannot get the item out within the next business day. I also give shipping information and updates when it is dropped off. As a buyer, I’d expect something to get out within two-three business days and if there is no communication, I would expect the seller to let me know when it will be mailed out. It is always goods and services so I typically do not fret as I am protected as a buyer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 ADDI 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

As a seller, I always communicate if I cannot get the item out within the next business day. I also give shipping information and updates when it is dropped off. As a buyer, I’d expect something to get out within two-three business days and if there is no communication, I would expect the seller to let me know when it will be mailed out. It is always goods and services so I typically do not fret as I am protected as a buyer. 

57 minutes ago, squishyy said:

I'm currently in the same situation as well. Paid on Monday and buyer still has not shipped. He's created the label Thursday and gone cold. Checked his feedback and noticed that he's done this same thing 2 weeks ago.

So that leads to the next obvious question, how long would you wait before you open a dispute?  And do you open on PayPal first, or do it here first?

And I guess a secondary question, what would it take to leave someone negative feedback?  Would you do it in the above scenario when you still get the item, or would it take more?   I'm a little guilty of that, if I have a "poor" experience as a buyer I'm more likely to just not leave any feedback.  Probably not the right thing.

Edited by clinkinfo

25 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

So that leads to the next obvious question, how long would you wait before you open a dispute?  And do you open on PayPal first, or do it here first?

And I guess a secondary question, what would it take to leave someone negative feedback?  Would you do it in the above scenario when you still get the item, or would it take more?   I'm a little guilty of that, if I have a "poor" experience as a buyer I'm more likely to just not leave any feedback.  Probably not the right thing.

I’d definitely reach out on here first and see if the person has logged in recently. I would give it at least a week before opening a dispute of no communication. You can try to message on paypal and here if you are worried they are ghosting you. 

typically if you post something in the deal or no deal with the individual, things get worked out pretty quickly. 

I have luckily not had a negative feedback situation, if you want to warn other buyers, maybe a neutral feedback with what happened saying you ultimately received the item but communication was lacking. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 ADDI 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

17 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

I would send a message every 2 days to illicit a response or to get an update. I would expect the seller to be more proactive though and send me any updates. My time limit for filing a dispute is about 10 days. 10 days usually covers 2 Saturdays, which is more than the allotted time to ship something out if you were busy the entire work week. None of us here are stores and the majority of us are working people with jobs so I'm more understanding when it comes to this. 

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Communicating that they received payment should be done the same day. Then, I would expect someone to ship the item and send me tracking info within 2-3 business days. I don't really see the point in getting tracking info until it's been dropped off...

Marking it as sold "within the hour" seems a bit unreasonable. Most people work during the day and have families to tend to in the evenings. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to drop everything and log in to a forum immediately just to type the word sold.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Communicating that they received payment should be done the same day. Then, I would expect someone to ship the item and send me tracking info within 2-3 business days. I don't really see the point in getting tracking info until it's been dropped off...

Marking it as sold "within the hour" seems a bit unreasonable. Most people work during the day and have families to tend to in the evenings. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to drop everything and log in to a forum immediately just to type the word sold.

Well, except that in order to send payment they had to send their PayPal info via PM.  That's normally occurring after discussion and agreement on pricing via PM.  So, most of the time, the payment is coming with them knowingly online.  That's why marking it sold shouldn't be such a big deal.  

But I agree if the transaction is completely happening on different timelines, it just normally isn't.  

I guess it's also fair to note that expectations probably change a bit based on peoples existing feedback.  If someone has a ton of positive feedback maybe my expectations are more flexible because I'm expecting them to do the right thing.  But then again, sometimes that's how buy/sell scams happen online, someone steals a login.  So maybe that's not a great idea either.

Edited by clinkinfo

On 5/19/2024 at 11:25 AM, clinkinfo said:

What do others think?

To me there a lot of factors that go into things.

Marking something sold within an hour of the payment being sent may be a little fast. Not everyone checks these sites all day long, and how long did it take to pay after a price was agreed on?

Tracking by the end of the next day is fine if the payment was before a reasonable time. If someone sends me a payment at 11pm EST, there's a chance I don't see it until after I have left for work the next morning. So if the item isn't already packaged and I know the specs of the box, getting a tracking number that day would be tough.

I think shipment within 2 days of confirming payment should be expected.

As a buyer I'm typically pretty lenient as long as the communication is good. As a seller I always confirm payment received right away and let the seller know when I will have it dropped off to the post office, which is usually the next day. If my timeline changes at all I let the buyer know what's going on and give them an updated timeline. 

As a seller, As soon as I see that payment was sent, I try to make sure that i get an item out by at least the day after unless there was some communication with the buyer that there might be a delay. I always provide tracking info and try and follow up with the buyer as soon as i get notification that the package was delivered.

In general more communication is always better than less. I haven't been burned on a BST deal either as the buyer or seller and I'd like to keep it that way. This is an awesome community and I'd hate to be labeled as a flake at best or a theif at worst

I always say will ship within 48 hours of payment. Once I make the label I send the buyer the tracking.

I also never put stuff on the BST when I know life is crazy, and there's a chance I could not ship within 2 days. 

As always, communication is key. 

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

On 5/19/2024 at 11:25 AM, clinkinfo said:

What do others think?

When I'm selling, I always ship the next day and sometimes the same day if the transaction happens early enough during the day.  I probably over communicate with the buyer but figure that is better than being skimpy with the PMs or emails.  Just doesn't take that long.  I also keep an eye on tracking and when I see it got delivered I reach out again to be sure they got it and all is ok.  Guess I prefer to be proactive.  

• Like 3

Ping G400Max 
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft   DF3 just arrived! 

3 hours ago, larryd3 said:

....Guess I prefer to be proactive.  

The best way IMO.  And that approach will grant you some grace if there is a issue.

• Like 1

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48*, 53* & 58*, Accra T90i S
Putter: LAB Golf DF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized