"Senior" golf ball?

GaryO

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about any distance ball from any of the manufacturers will do the job. All the golf balls now are good, you just need to find the one that works for you, and one that you can afford. :lol:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

There's old and there is ancient, which are you? I'm 71 and played my first game yesterday in nearly two years and had no problem with the driver, hitting 200 yards ("The Perfect Driver"), just would have liked some 'more' distance :-). We had an unusually warm day here in Southern Ontario but the course was not really up to snuff with bare patches on the greens. Not all was well, as my pitching and chipping was awful. Had one birdie, on a par-3 hitting a 5-wood to with 6" of the hole.

I, personally, don't think the ball has anything to do with distance - more technique in swinging. I've heard people rave about new balls like the proV1 but they're out of my price range, for starters, and I have no problem with TopFlites.

I think you should concentrate on your swing - before you go looking for any magic bullet (ball).

There's old and there is ancient, which are you? I'm 71 and played my first game yesterday in nearly two years and had no problem with the driver, hitting 200 yards ("The Perfect Driver"), just would have liked some 'more' distance :-). We had an unusually warm day here in Southern Ontario but the course was not really up to snuff with bare patches on the greens. Not all was well, as my pitching and chipping was awful. Had one birdie, on a par-3 hitting a 5-wood to with 6" of the hole.

I, personally, don't think the ball has anything to do with distance - more technique in swinging. I've heard people rave about new balls like the proV1 but they're out of my price range, for starters, and I have no problem with TopFlites.

I think you should concentrate on your swing - before you go looking for any magic bullet (ball).

Ya, something about you old guys (71) year old's anyway, I've been arguing with a friend of mine (he's real old..71 ish) and I'm real young (66 ish) anywho..I like the new technology balls and he still likes the

TOp ROcks. I have to admit that the SOB still out drives me..well sometimes. :bb:

I truthfully think that the golf ball is the one big advantage that we older guys have. You really do need to check of several of the mid to upper price range balls and dial in. :drinks:

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

+1.

Great ball for seniors, because of its low compression. Not so good for the rest of us.

Now only if there were just an easy a fix for seniors' grumpy attitudes and incessant need to talk to complete strangers all the time LOL....

The Bridgestone B330 RX is a great ball for slower swingers who still want some spin and feel around the green.

You might consider trying a ladies' ball too. They are designed for swingspeeds in the range you are talking about and until you get up close, they dont look any different than any other golfball, so your buddies probably wont know the difference.

As long as you dont buy a dozen of those hot pink Precept Lady iQ 180s, you should be fine.

Come on, guys. Some of us senior ladies wouldn't be caught using a pink ball either. GaryO, that's about my swing speed and I have found that my 14 handicap doesn't afford me much sense of ball characteristics that makers are touting. Currently playing with Srixon AD333 and TopFlite SoftFeel. These are relatively inexpensive so there is much less tension in the swing as I'm not risking the farm on each shot nor impacting pace of play by searching for $5 in the rough/woods/brambles/nettles. I have used some of the balls recommended above, but they felt too soft. Check the box/display as many manufacturers will recommend a given model based on swing speed vs. location of zipper.

My grandpa and I were playing a few months ago when he ran out of balls in his bag. I just grabbed a few out of mine, and it just so happened that one of my girlfriend's Callaway Pearls happened to be in the mix. He seriously picked up 15 yards or so on his drives from the balls he'd been playing, and really liked the touch it had around the green. He absolutely loved it, went out and bought a dozen before we made it home. I'd give it a shot if you're open to the idea, it really did wonders for him!

I am now 61 with a 90ish SS and overly fast tempo, and have been playing Callaway Pearls for two years now, particularly in the colder winter months. For me, great spin with the wedges and similar distance to the HX Hot. Another would be the HX Hot Bite that I will be trying this weekend. Old favorites are HX Tour 56, Ben Hogan Tour Deep, and Wilson Staff TX4, which are no longer produced. The WS Zip is also on my to test list. A lot of newer mid priced balls are serious contenders against the $40 plus category.

There is an interesting ball test at uintagolf.com Out of 63 balls tested using 110, 100, 90, 80, and 70 swing speeds swung by a robot, the Cally Pearl was in the top five in all speed categories. No other ball did that.

Yet one more contender in this group is the Wilson Hope ball. Probably the longest of the ones I've tried, it has a very nice feel and even hold greens well for me. Available in pink (of course), but also comes in "clear", which take a little scrutiny to distinguish from any given white ball. Stocked up last fall from Amazon at $10/doz -- they're a bargain to boot. And Wilson donates a portion from sales to breast cancer research…. :good:

• 3 months later...

Suggest you take a look at the Srixon range of balls - there's definitely one in there that will suit you. Although it's below 90mph, I'm not quite sure what my swing speed is but at 74 I'm well into my senior years and - after trying every legal ball available - I settled for for the two-piece Srixon AD 333. It gets my drives out there well over the 200 yard mark, runs out well and I'm also pleased with the flight, accuracy and durability - plus it seems to perform better around the green than any other two-piece I've tried.

Incidently, it is by far the best-selling two-piece ball in the UK. No mean feat when you see the enormous marketing spends behind Titleist, Callaway etc. etc.

For pure distance, Callaway's Diablo or Titleist NXT Extreme

For impure distance, ie, some spin on approach shots but still seriously long, Callaway's Pearl.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

[quote name='ALAN5PLOVER' post='1670493' date='May 2 2009, 07:10 AM'][quote name='BankerGolfer' post='1669697' date='May 1 2009, 09:44 PM']Now only if there were just an easy a fix for seniors' grumpy attitudes and incessant need to talk to complete strangers all the time LOL....[/quote]

If you're not a senior, what are you doing here? We talk to strangers because we have outlived our friends.
[/quote]

You two must be a retired comedy team... right? :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

• 3 weeks later...

I've never been a long hitter. Now back into the game at 58 I've lost some of what length I had.

First thing I did was go from the SGI irons to Wilson Ci7. Of course irons won't help your driver question.

My twin boys have been wanting me to try the Nike Power Distance Soft balls they have been using. At the same time my wife decided to join me and play some. I'm in Dick's and they have these MC Lady balls selling at 2 dozen for $12.

Well you know what I'm going to say, I was playing with the Nike PD Soft and hit one OB and took a drop and decided to hit one the MC Lady balls. A lot of good reviews from guys.

Hit just as good as the Nike balls, I personally think a little longer, they stop on the greens and they cost $.50 a ball. I bought 10 dozen of them.

I think my manhood will be able to handle it.

John

EDIT: After much research I have discovered that this ball was a big deal in the early 2000's and having come late to the party I'm sure many already know about it. However, it is still a great ball and I'm glad I have a closet full of them.

• 9 months later...

My choice, Swing speed drops to 81 after 6/7 holes... lowest 75..

Sixron TriSpeed, distance about 230 for me... again swing speed 80 and below. I used to try to swing harder when I felt my swing speed decline, and then I discovered I just needed a ball that I could unlock (compress).. My score went from mid 90's to.. 84, 82, and last round 77.. The difference, for me, is maintaining the same swing for the entire round. "Not" over-swinging just to compress a ball. I feel I will soon be scoring in the low 70's.

One point.. making the same swing is hard to tell the difference in swing speed. I had to see the difference using "trackman".. I would start with a 96 swing speed, and after a number of shots my speed would drop to 81.. with the TriSpeed I could not see much difference in distance and performance.. when I noticed less distance I knew my speed was slowing so like playing a wind shot I would go up a club (slower swing speed my distance would drop 10/15yds).

I am not an expert only sharing my experience. Good Luck

Tee it Up

I tried the new lady precept iQ plus last winter when I was looking for a softer ball to play when it's cold out, and found it to be a very good overall ball.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

• 2 years later...

I have gone to using Bridgestone 330RX and 330RXs, both are exceptional balls. When the weather is rough or a lot of leaves that consume the ball I switch to pinnacle exception... it is a good ball, and excellent feel, but I do not achieve the same distance or performance I get with Bridgestone. The Bridgestone e5 is also a good ball. My opinion Brdigestone has taken the leadship in ball performance.