2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"Don't talk to my ball"

It seems a lot of golfers have a big problem with someone saying "Get in the hole" etc... when they putt.

I actually watched the best players at a local course play a money game and a player said that - the guy putting got pissed and said "Don't talk to my f**king ball!!" as if the guy had said "Miss it!" or "Lip out!"

Is this really that big a deal? It would get old of course if someone said it every putt but it seems like if the guy who says it is known to be an ok guy, maybe he's just commentating on a good looking shot. Gamesmanship is one thing, but it seems people get a little too serious when they start demanding no one say anything until the ball stops rolling.

I can't believe anyone seriously believes that it makes any difference to whether or not the putt goes in.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can see it from both sides really.

Golf used to be the "gentlemen's game" and people acted accordingly. There have been many times where the crowds have gotten completely rude towards players which lowers the value of the game imo and it has to be annoying at times for Tiger to hear "get in the hole" on every...single...shot. Hell, it is annoying for me and I am watching on TV!

On the other hand, the golfers are performers for the people and getting the crowd behind you can be a wonderful thing.

I personally have never, and will never, yell at someones golf ball on tour but I do yell at my fellow golfers balls to stay left, get a kick, check, etc...

of course in your case, it sounds like the guy putting was either pressing or just lost a press

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

I read somewhere on here that its an unwritten rule on tour never to talk to anyone else's ball... I dont think its a big deal... but to each their own I quess... but when I play in our Men's Assoc tournys I hear that alot... I think its Good sportsmanship to show that you want your opp. to do well.. but when playing in a match play tourny or stroke play.. do you REALLY want your opps ball to "get in the hole"? lol...

I read somewhere on here that its an unwritten rule on tour never to talk to anyone else's ball... I dont think its a big deal... but to each their own I quess... but when I play in our Men's Assoc tournys I hear that alot... I think its Good sportsmanship to show that you want your opp. to do well.. but when playing in a match play tourny or stroke play.. do you REALLY want your opps ball to "get in the hole"? lol...

Of course. I think it's a healthy attitude to have, I generally don't like to wish misfortune upon others. For me, the best way to think about it is to hope you opponent plays well, and for yourself to play even better.

As for talking to other people's balls, well if its a stranger and we get along well during the round then I probably would, if not then no. With friends, definitely.

p.s. If you don't like it, I guess you can politely tell them that it's distracting. No need to get too worked up, I'm sure they mean the best anyway.

I hate when people talk to my ball. I can get pretty upset about it at times. Especially when I hit a bad shot and some yells "come back", "bounce left", "stay in", "get up", etc. I've already hit a bad shot and wherever it ends up it ends up. It always seems to happen when you've hit a bad shot aned are already upset. Maybe its because I've played so much tournament golf and its an unspoken rule that you don't talk to someones ball. I also hate when someone says great shot everytime you hit it halfway decent, especially when you hit a wedge to 30 feet and look pissed. I don't care in playing lessons or anything but if money is on the line pay attention to your own ball.

I see no reason to get mad at someone who is talking to your ball. Especially if they are wishing that something good happen. I guess if they are telling it to behave poorly then it's not cool. But that's not really because they are wishing ill on your ball, it's because that's a telling sign that they are a donkey. And I have little time for donkeys.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I don't talk to anyone else's ball unless they are a friend or I have gotten along with them in the round alright. If they're uptight, forget it, I'll keep the thoughts to myself. I don't wish for a good kick or bounce after someone hits poor shot though, just doesn't seem right.

I hate when people talk to my ball. I can get pretty upset about it at times. Especially when I hit a bad shot and some yells "come back", "bounce left", "stay in", "get up", etc. I've already hit a bad shot and wherever it ends up it ends up. It always seems to happen when you've hit a bad shot aned are already upset. Maybe its because I've played so much tournament golf and its an unspoken rule that you don't talk to someones ball. I also hate when someone says great shot everytime you hit it halfway decent, especially when you hit a wedge to 30 feet and look pissed. I don't care in playing lessons or anything but if money is on the line pay attention to your own ball.

I agree on the tournament thing. I'm in my own zone.

As for casual rounds, it bothers me when someone says "good shot" after a mediocre/bad shot. Many golfers feel on the green from 100 yards out is great, so I get "great shot" even when I hang a wedge out to the right 25 feet from the hole. I mean, I always thank them, but it just bugs me because its really not a "great shot" in my mind.

[sign here]

Relax, it's just a damn game.

++ Just be glad you don't have me talking to your ball. I live to make uptight people like that blow a fuse.

A guy I was playing with tonight hit a chipshot to the green, with water on the other side. It was skidding along pretty fast, and I said, "Hustle!" It rolled off the green and dropped into the water. The other guys thought that was pretty funny.

Its more of jinx or hex on your opponent than anything else. In a serious competition you maybe making mockery of your opponent without realizing it. Like get in the hole while the putt is halfway there and it doesn't go in it looks like jinx you put on the putt. :rolleyes: Personally I don't care, go about your own business and don't worry about what your competitors are saying.

If you read Rick Reilly's book "Who's Your Caddy," he totes that bag of former Master's winner Tommy Aaron for a practice round who sternly tells him, "Get you mouth off my ball!!" I still LMAO when I think of that when someone tells my shot to get down and its clearly coming up short. Sorry, just had to throw that one in!

mizuno-tour-knit-pom_black_charcoal_01__02597.jpg.1afb778db4a607f23063a0af4089f6a8.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9* (Kinetixx Velocity)
Tour Edge C722 3wd 
Titleist u505/Tour Edge C722 3H/Callaway Mavrik Max 5wd 
Tour Edge C722 4H

Srixon Z85 5U 
Mizuno 225 6-GW (PX IO 6.0)
Vokey SM9 54D & 60T
Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle or Scotty Futura X 35" (SS Pistol 1.0 w/ 50g CW)

Could care less...played professionally for 14 years and while over the top stuff was a little annoying (excessive good shot, etc...still not big enough of a deal to bother me) if someone in my group showed some love to my ball that was a little errant and was trying to throw some mojo to keep it from going where it should not....I appreciated it.

There are too many people that are wound way to tight in this game and need to chill out, IMO. It is not like you are playing in the US Open and your life depends on it. Relax. Even so..if you are playing in some section event or mini tour...if you can't deal with that, you are definitely not going to be able to deal with the stuff at the Tour level. It is a circus out there and if you can't deal with some guy saying "get left" or "bite" you have no chance.

People that are talking to your ball are just trying to show support for you and your game. In the grand scheme of things it is not that big of a deal.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Could care less...played professionally for 14 years and while over the top stuff was a little annoying (excessive good shot, etc...still not big enough of a deal to bother me) if someone in my group showed some love to my ball that was a little errant and was trying to throw some mojo to keep it from going where it should not....I appreciated it.

There are too many people that are wound way to tight in this game and need to chill out, IMO. It is not like you are playing in the US Open and your life depends on it. Relax. Even so..if you are playing in some section event or mini tour...if you can't deal with that, you are definitely not going to be able to deal with the stuff at the Tour level. It is a circus out there and if you can't deal with some guy saying "get left" or "bite" you have no chance.

People that are talking to your ball are just trying to show support for you and your game. In the grand scheme of things it is not that big of a deal.

and that about sums it up....lol...nice post

I'd agree. I'm working on caring less and I can tell you I don't have the mind to make it to the top of the game. The funny thing is I'm very relaxed off the course. For some reason when that tee goes in the ground I get very tightly wound and can have a short fuse.

Isn't it weird how the most docile of people off the course can turn into a nut on the golf course??? One of the weird things this game does to people (myself included). But I guess that is part of the challenge....being able to manage all facets of the game. Sometimes you are able to do it better than others and I guess that is why it is intriguing to many people....the challenge of it all.

Gotta love it.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I agree. It is already a bad shot/putt...I know it is a bad shot/putt, they know it is already a bad shot/putt, they know that I know it is a bad shot/putt...just leave it at that. It just adds to the frustration of hitting the shot bad. Comment on a good shot. Only comment on a bad shot if the person that hit the shot lost sight of the ball and needs to know where it went or help finding it.

I understand most do this as a courtesy and mean no ill harm, but when its goin south, I don't like the reminder.

Lighten up please. As you said, you're not exactly playing tournament golf when others are just trying to be nice to your ball (and you).

If it really bothers you that much, when you're a single, just make a tee time for 4 and don't let anyone else join you....

As soon as my ball starts to listen, then I will have a problem with that.

True story...a few years ago I was playing in a local US Open qual and on the second hole my playing partner striped a 6i right at the flag and I was standing about 20' away from him..while in the air I said "get in" and it one hopped, hit the pin and stayed 2" away from the cup. As my playing partner walked towards me I said, "nice shot" and he proceeded to spit tobacco juice on my shoe and he said "Boy, keep your mouth off my ball!" We didn't say a word to eachother for the next 33 holes (this was when the local qual was a 36 hole event, now it is only 18).

Sounds like a crazy story, but my wife was there carrying my bag and she still tells the story.

Lighten up please. As you said, you're not exactly playing tournament golf when others are just trying to be nice to your ball (and you).

If it really bothers you that much, when you're a single, just make a tee time for 4 and don't let anyone else join you....

I don't play as a single. I play tournament golf on various mini tours, money games, or rounds with clients. I believe I said it only bothers me in tournaments and when money is on the line.

Well, I play the Callaway Tour IX and according to the commercials, it is a good ball and listens.

I talk to my ball all the time when I play so if someone else says something to it, it doesnt bother me. In tournament play, I wont say anything as usually the people I see around me are ready to slit their wrist if they miss a shot.

Funny thing is I have a good friend who is the best player I know and off the course he talks a lot but on the course, he is one of the nicest and easy going players I know...haha

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow