2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"Don't talk to my ball"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as my ball starts to listen, then I will have a problem with that.

True story...a few years ago I was playing in a local US Open qual and on the second hole my playing partner striped a 6i right at the flag and I was standing about 20' away from him..while in the air I said "get in" and it one hopped, hit the pin and stayed 2" away from the cup. As my playing partner walked towards me I said, "nice shot" and he proceeded to spit tobacco juice on my shoe and he said "Boy, keep your mouth off my ball!" We didn't say a word to eachother for the next 33 holes (this was when the local qual was a 36 hole event, now it is only 18).

Sounds like a crazy story, but my wife was there carrying my bag and she still tells the story.

I am not a violent or combatative guy AT ALL, haven't been in a fight since I was 10 years old, but if someone spit chaw juice on me and called me 'boy' I would probably break his nose right then and there! :black eye:

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

he proceeded to spit tobacco juice on my shoe and he said "Boy, keep your mouth off my ball!" We didn't say a word to eachother for the next 33 holes (this was when the local qual was a 36 hole event, now it is only 18).

I am not a violent or combatative guy AT ALL, haven't been in a fight since I was 10 years old, but if someone spit chaw juice on me and called me 'boy' I would probably break his nose right then and there! :black eye:

I was thinking the same thing. You go pulling that kinda mess down here, and you'll find yourself in trouble pretty quick. Personally, I would have dropped that guy on the spot.

+1.

That guy is an insensitive jerk.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's asking people now if they want to supersize their order....

he proceeded to spit tobacco juice on my shoe and he said "Boy, keep your mouth off my ball!" We didn't say a word to eachother for the next 33 holes (this was when the local qual was a 36 hole event, now it is only 18).

I was thinking the same thing. You go pulling that kinda mess down here, and you'll find yourself in trouble pretty quick. Personally, I would have dropped that guy on the spot.

I stand corrected. I didn't see your earlier post to that effect.

You have every reason and right to dislike people talking to your ball when in a tournament or money is on the line. I'd feel the same way were I in those situations.

Lighten up please. As you said, you're not exactly playing tournament golf when others are just trying to be nice to your ball (and you).

If it really bothers you that much, when you're a single, just make a tee time for 4 and don't let anyone else join you....

I hate when people talk to my ball. I can get pretty upset about it at times. Especially when I hit a bad shot and some yells "come back", "bounce left", "stay in", "get up", etc. I've already hit a bad shot and wherever it ends up it ends up. It always seems to happen when you've hit a bad shot aned are already upset. Maybe its because I've played so much tournament golf and its an unspoken rule that you don't talk to someones ball. I also hate when someone says great shot everytime you hit it halfway decent, especially when you hit a wedge to 30 feet and look pissed. I don't care in playing lessons or anything but if money is on the line pay attention to your own ball.

I don't play as a single. I play tournament golf on various mini tours, money games, or rounds with clients. I believe I said it only bothers me in tournaments and when money is on the line.

You can dislike it but no reason to be a jerk about it. If you cannot ignore one of your fellow competitors talking to your ball, you don't have a prayer of handling the pressure of tournament golf or money games. It's your problem, not the ball-talker's problem.

It may irritate some players but I'd hardly consider it a breach of etiquette.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I play with one group of guys that feels talking to someone elses ball "black cats" it. The rest of the people I play with don't care.

As it has been stated above, there are better things to get worked up about. Someone talking to my ball isn't the problem. It was the crappy shot I made.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I never realized people get so touchy when I talk to their ball.

I guess I should stop yelling "spin" when someone putts their ball way past the hole?!?

And just for the record, I can see not talking before or during a playing partner's stroke, but if they voice a problem with me "talking to their ball" after it left their club face it will only encourage me to do it more as I like to push crazy people over the edge. And if they spit tobacco on my shoe they better be prepared for me to clean it off on their a$s.

As soon as my ball starts to listen, then I will have a problem with that.

True story...a few years ago I was playing in a local US Open qual and on the second hole my playing partner striped a 6i right at the flag and I was standing about 20' away from him..while in the air I said "get in" and it one hopped, hit the pin and stayed 2" away from the cup. As my playing partner walked towards me I said, "nice shot" and he proceeded to spit tobacco juice on my shoe and he said "Boy, keep your mouth off my ball!" We didn't say a word to eachother for the next 33 holes (this was when the local qual was a 36 hole event, now it is only 18).

Sounds like a crazy story, but my wife was there carrying my bag and she still tells the story.

I would probably have wiped the tobacco juice off my shoe with the crotch of his pants.

As he was reacting to that, I would have said, "And I'm not your BOY, m**********r."

Hmmm, I wonder how the pros feel when they tee off on a LONG par 4 or par 5 and the idiots in the gallery scream "GET IN THE HOLE!". Man, they are just idiots. Plain and simple....... Is it just me?

No it's not just you. It annoys me to hear it it ever single time. I sometimes think we have crashed a frat party and a golf tournament has shown up. I am sure we will have to put barriers up soon to protect the golfers from flying objects if some decorum is not re-established.

I hit a lot of low running chip shots with spin and it annoys me when some hack yells stop, slow down, or bite, only to see the ball check up somewhere around the hole. I dont' like for people to talk over my ball either.

So you guys are saying....... When my buddy blades his his 20 yard pitch shots and I yell "HIT A HOUSE!!!!", it's not appropriate??? :o

Actually, something like this is pretty funny.

1- It is your buddy

2- There is no house on the green, so it's all a big joke

3- You are acknowledging the crappiness of his shot

It's so much more annoying when someone thinks you hit a good shot, and you know you hit it badly. You don't even have time to breathe and get over that awful feeling of bad contact and someone is guessing that you hit a good shot. Then they have to say, "oh bad break" as if the ball changed it's mind.

Some guys in this thread have indicated that they will mess with people who are wound too tight. Now, I don't think this is an infraction a good, knowledgable player can really make. The issue is the cluelessness. If you are a decent golfer, I know you are messing with me, and I will start messing with you in return.

It's the 50 year old "utility company middle manager quasi-executive" who actually knows nothing about anything who should never comment on the quality of my strike. To have a guy who hit his last 45 shots fat tell my pull hook to start slicing is a real p!sser. Usually I am already mad at the guy for standing to close to me or constantly talking during my wife's swing or something like that.

I often tell such people that pull hooks never slice.

They don't care....

The pros are grateful to have an audience (both idiots and non-idiots), as it's led to bigger tournament purses.

Just ask any LPGA pro. They'd die to have as many idiots in their galleries.....

Hmmm, I wonder how the pros feel when they tee off on a LONG par 4 or par 5 and the idiots in the gallery scream "GET IN THE HOLE!". Man, they are just idiots. Plain and simple....... Is it just me?