2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Adams ATour Irons

Hey guys!

I just wanted to see if any members on the site have seen or hit the new Adams ATour irons (satin finish). I have a chance to get a set but I was looking for some unbiased feedback and thought this would be the perfect place! I have been eyeing the new TM TP MB's but don't think I can get my hands on a set for a while. Please let me know your feedback on these irons ASAP!

Thanks!

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Srixon MKII  Black Chrome ZX7 4-PW with Fuji Axiom 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few on this site have... some positives and some negatives... they look only alright to me, the cavity is kind of busy for my taste level... and afterall they are cast which is somewhat of a bummer. I was just about to order a set from Adams then they 180'd on me and told me I could not get them anymore...so I dont like Adams anymore and will never purchase from them again.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Dude you must be a ho if you are upset about not getting them when they are just "alright". I'd love to try these out if I could get my hands on them. I too wish they were forged but other than that they are they best looking irons out today imo.

yes HO is correct

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I read the posts in the link that was sent above. However, it doesn't really state what happened? Were people told these clubs were forged but in fact they are cast?

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Srixon MKII  Black Chrome ZX7 4-PW with Fuji Axiom 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Long story short, Adams kinda gave several different answers to that forged/cast question and they also had several answers on whether the club was coming to retail or staying tour only

Bottom line: cast, tour heads only.

A slightly different version will hit retail: slightly larger head, wider sole, more offset, different finish

I read the posts in the link that was sent above. However, it doesn't really state what happened? Were people told these clubs were forged but in fact they are cast?

No--most people knew they were cast.

The mixup was several people ordered these through various places

after they were told they could get them.. Then about a week later-

their money was refunded and no irons were ever shipped..

Its a very sore subject to some and not one to be revisited.. Its been well

documented on other posts here.

I was one of the ones that was after a set of these--but after the way this mixup

was handled--I could care less anymore.

There are very few reviews being wrote about these -good or bad..

Could be that they are too scarce for many to obtain..

TM R1 Phenom
Ping 18*
TM 22*
Mizuno Easy Forged
TM 52-56=60
2 ball blade milled

Long story short, Adams kinda gave several different answers to that forged/cast question and they also had several answers on whether the club was coming to retail or staying tour only

Bottom line: cast, tour heads only.

A slightly different version will hit retail: slightly larger head, wider sole, more offset, different finish

There is a difference between the ones with A Tour in black and A Tour in red on the hosel. Hint go for the red. Nuff said :drinks:

The ones with red paintfill are a more offset version and all have satin finish...no difference in playability. They were originally desinged for T Watson...It's a shame these have such a bad rap, they are a fantastic iron, forged or not. The man that designed them also designed the TM 300 series which could be one of the finest irons ever produced. Adams business practices aside, judge for yourselves, you may be missing out on something otherwise. Again though, like individuals dislike for these, this is just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences with them and conversations with the designer.

The ones with red paintfill are a more offset version and all have satin finish...no difference in playability. They were originally desinged for T Watson...It's a shame these have such a bad rap, they are a fantastic iron, forged or not. The man that designed them also designed the TM 300 series which could be one of the finest irons ever produced. Adams business practices aside, judge for yourselves, you may be missing out on something otherwise. Again though, like individuals dislike for these, this is just my opinion, based on my own personal experiences with them and conversations with the designer.

El wrongo. The red paintfill ones my brother left at my house have less off set than the black paintfill ones he had that were satin finished. And these definitely do not have a satin finish. Try again. You are right though there is no difference in playability---totally mediocre and unimpressive other than traditional looks. At least 6 manufacturers that come to mind produce a better performing/feeling cast iron. Stick with Adams hybrid sets much better sticks. $999 for eight cast sticks is re damn diculous (as john wayne said). Same price as TM MBs which are overpriced for a forging.

El wrongo. The red paintfill ones my brother left at my house have less off set than the black paintfill ones he had that were satin finished. And these definitely do not have a satin finish. Try again. You are right though there is no difference in playability---totally mediocre and unimpressive other than traditional looks. At least 6 manufacturers that come to mind produce a better performing/feeling cast iron. Stick with Adams hybrid sets much better sticks. $999 for eight cast sticks is re damn diculous (as john wayne said). Same price as TM MBs which are overpriced for a forging.

Actually...Sandy,

You are the one who is incorrect. :drinks: Here's the deal...for the 1000th time:

EZGO is correct in that the red paintfill hosel(Tom Watson)model does have just a bit more offset than the black paintfill...BUT...both the Red and Black heads come in either Chrome or Satin finishes. The Red version is similar to the 2mm offset version of the TM 300 Lehman model. You can't really tell there is any significant offset, it looks similar to a lot of the other player's CB's on the market.

Like any club, you have to judge for yourself whether you like them or not. They are a very clean looking head design with a great sole grind.

That is why there has been so much confusion over these irons on literally every golf board.

Sooner or later, when the myths and urban legends die out, maybe someone from Adams will fill in the blanks.

Could be that they produced red and black paint fill heads with offset and no offset for some pro to try and he rejected them all...who knows...

I did fill in the blanks for you...no need to speculate...TRUST ME!

Adams aTour Irons:

Black Paintfill= No offset, available both Chrome or Satin

Red Paintfill= Minimal offset, available both Chrome or Satin

There you go...these are the facts. There aren't any secret models or anything else crazy, just two slightly different versions of the same basic head design.

Confusing?

Maybe to most people, However not to most people who understand about the strategy that they are trying to do. Bottom line are about products exposure and sales.

We, consumer just have to digest it accordingly and not to fall to easy on bias info from an individual profit hunger. Bad food will come out quick and smells. :drinks:

Products itself is nothing wrong, but if the wrong person brought it up...the image will not be so good for the long run IMO.

This business is a tough business already, One wrong moved can impact the image for a long term.

Maybe I'm wrong at looking the whole thing, but constructive critic is always better than not saying anything.

Joe

ps: The design of this iron is after the old famous Australian Blade ( same idea w/ lehman grind ).

Below are the pictures where i was 2 weeks ago. If you see closely inside the van picture. The left corner of the picture is the staff bag that has the iron we are all talking about. Please don't ask to comment on the iron! :crazy:

Adams aTour Irons:

Red Paintfill= Minimal offset, available both Crome or Satin

There you go...these are the facts. There aren't any secret models or anything else crazy, just two slightly different versions of the same basic head design.

Noonan,

Great, thanks for the info...

Joey,

Was this Jerry Garrison's Adams van? I'm pretty sure it was as he was at that same tour stop you and I spoke about on the phone. I think you had great weather during the Pro-Am but it rained during the tournament, right?

Cardo

Confusing?

Maybe to most people, However not to most people who understand about the strategy that they are trying to do. Bottom line are about products exposure and sales.

We, consumer just have to digest it accordingly and not to fall to easy on bias info from an individual profit hunger. Bad food will come out quick and smells. :drinks:

Products itself is nothing wrong, but if the wrong person brought it up...the image will not be so good for the long run IMO.

This business is a tough business already, One wrong moved can impact the image for a long term.

Maybe I'm wrong at looking the whole thing, but constructive critic is always better than not saying anything.

Joe

ps: The design of this iron is after the old famous Australian Blade ( same idea w/ lehman grind ).

Below are the pictures where i was 2 weeks ago. If you see closely inside the van picture. The left corner of the picture is the staff bag that has the iron we are all talking about. Please don't ask to comment on the iron! :crazy:

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Adams aTour Irons:

Red Paintfill= Minimal offset, available both Chrome or Satin

Still missed the point. Those variations may have been the intent of the company, but they aren't reality. First the difference between no offset (which is a misnomer---there is offset--.070 is no offset and these ain't there) and minimal offset is minimal. Put a set of each down beside each other. Would love to see their measurements. There are many sets out there that have red paintfill that are obviously less offset than ones with black paintfill. Maybe someone is repainting them to confuse the market. I will agree with you on one thing both come in both finishes. Maybe there is a conspiracy to confuse the collectors market (10 or 12 people) or sabotage the $1400 per set site. All of that being said they still remain one of the most overpriced irons EVER produced. $1400 for a set is just plain moronic. But the $999 that one pays at a "real dealer" is just plain silly. This set of irons remains (in my memory) the biggest hyped so what in a long time. As a matter of fact the old Adams Tour irons were head and shoulders above these in performance and feel even with their reverse bi matrix shafts. I can't think of any set of cast irons today that I wouldn't prefer over these. Remember I was given a set of these to play with. I returned them nuff said---see review. My dopey brother however bought a set (more money than brains anyway).

Joey,

Was this Jerry Garrison's Adams van? I'm pretty sure it was as he was at that same tour stop you and I spoke about on the phone. I think you had great weather during the Pro-Am but it rained during the tournament, right?

Cardo

Confusing?

Joe

I'm not sure about the name of the van but the manager of the van wasn't with that JG name, It's MP!

Anyway, you are right about the weather. ;)

joe

I can't think of any set of cast irons today that I wouldn't prefer over these

Hypo or no hype I find that hard to believe.

Lets see all of Mizuno, Cobra, Ping, Adams HYBRID sets, Callaway, Taylor Made, Yonex, Wilson. Nope STILL can't think of any set of cast irons I wouldn't prefer over these (not necessarily looks but for sure performance).

Let me see if I may dispel any of the unfounded rumors and/or the urban legend that is surrounding these irons.

There are two sets of irons out on with off-set (red paint fill) and non off-set (blank paint fill). They both come in chrome and satin models. Simple!!! There are differences in the irons, lofts are different (off-sets are two degrees stronger), and yes the off-set is different, not so much in the long irons but without question in the short irons.

Good stuff. You and Noonan basically reporting the same thing so I'll take this info. as bond.

As far as bdargie's comment: I can't think of any other cast sets I'd rather try either. But I can think of a bunch of forged sets that cost less that I'd rather try/play. IMO Being the best cast set out there isn't really saying much. Kinda like the best of the B class.

As to the cost of anything, irons, woods, putter, or wedges are worth whatever the market will bear. If it is $1500, $999 or $450, it is what it is. Do you really think Cameron putters are worth 10k to everyone, don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Scotty he does great things, but 10k may be a little ridiculous to most. This price was not set by Adams nor anyone affiliated with their company. This price was set by demand!!! Again, this iron was not developed for anyone but their staff players, a couple of people got hold of some sets and the rest was internet related. They have been making wonderful products for a long time, and now have what most would consider the best hybrid on the market, with fairway not far behind.

Thank you for the research and the information. Above is the only part of your post that I must disagree, and only the part about setting the price. In a free market world, your assertion would be true. But what we have here is a price set by someone trying to be a monopolist (actually there are a few involved, so call it an oligopolist). A price was set, a couple of people loosely agreed to maintain that price and the market was manipulated. How? Well in a free market supply and demand is open, so the price will float based on demand. But if the suppliers are lying about demand, then the price is not really free to move, is it? How can anyone here prove demand? Because the seller said so? Ha-ha. Nothing new here, the Adams situation is nothing special.

True, none of this has to do with Adams in the grand scheme of things, but Joe Kwok made a valid point earlier. An OEM does have to be sensitive to market buzz and rumors. At the very least, awareness gives an OEM a chance to prevent anything from spinning out of control. In this case, it's a small blip to Adams in the grand scheme of things. So a few internet golf junkies got all excited about some protos and it made others jealous, that's all. But next time, they might not be so lucky. Good for Adams for not getting sucked into all this nonsense. That's probably why orders for the irons were cancelled, it was time to get the situation under control once and for all and not waste time which is wasting money. After all, a golf message board shouldn't be dictating product plans for an OEM, right? Maybe, it's something to think about.

...There are many sets out there that have red paintfill that are obviously less offset than ones with black paintfill...

That's incorrect.

As stated above, the black paintfills have less offset than the red paintfills.

Most of the tour guys who are playing the A-Tours are using the red paintfill sets that have more offset.

The black no-offsets play off a 48* PW.

Back to the topic starter, I think the A-Tours are very good irons. They have what I consider to be a perfect sole grind. The feel is more clickey like the new Titleist forgings than soft like Mizunos, but they are cast so they do not feel as good as the 735, 695.MBs.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Thank you for the research and the information. Above is the only part of your post that I must disagree, and only the part about setting the price. In a free market world, your assertion would be true. But what we have here is a price set by someone trying to be a monopolist (actually there are a few involved, so call it an oligopolist). A price was set, a couple of people loosely agreed to maintain that price and the market was manipulated. How? Well in a free market supply and demand is open, so the price will float based on demand. But if the suppliers are lying about demand, then the price is not really free to move, is it? How can anyone here prove demand? Because the seller said so? Ha-ha. Nothing new here, the Adams situation is nothing special.

Agreed. That $1500 asking price had nothing to do with free market value. And this wouldn't be the first time a seller took certain liberties with demand and availability. As stated above ha-ha or LOL, take your pick :) Funny thing is these A-tours are starting to pop up in the bst adds. Sellers that paid the $1500 are now asking $1000 and more (a hefty discount IMO), and surprise, they're not moving. I think that helps answer if $1500 was the true free market price.

...There are many sets out there that have red paintfill that are obviously less offset than ones with black paintfill...

That's incorrect.

As stated above, the black paintfills have less offset than the red paintfills.

Most of the tour guys who are playing the A-Tours are using the red paintfill sets that have more offset.

The black no-offsets play off a 48* PW.

Back to the topic starter, I think the A-Tours are very good irons. They have what I consider to be a perfect sole grind. The feel is more clickey like the new Titleist forgings than soft like Mizunos, but they are cast so they do not feel as good as the 735, 695.MBs.

Sorry to continue to disagree but I have seen my brothers two sets and numerous other sets around the country where just the opposite is true. They may have started that way but for whatever reason the paint jobs have gotten switched. I wish I still had his set of black paintfill ones to compare against the red paintfill ones he left on my racks. The reds are less offset. It could only be a hosel grind issue but the reds are visibly less offset. Having hit a previous set (but not my brothers that were left behind) for several days and playing several rounds with them I would NEVER compare them to even the cheapest forging including some of the forged stainless models. Certainly nothing that Endo, Mizuno, Miura do today. You can make a club look like a traditional club but it is still all about the material. Chroming or polishing them is just another version of "putting lipstick on a pig". Adams has produced many fine irons over the years and these aren't among them other than in looks. I can pick any cheap sporting goods store iron off the shelf and they will feel very similar. But like many things in equipment lack of "availability" and a certain amount of hype will always create a buzz. You don't really think that the set that Tom Watson is playing is the same material do you???? Perhaps you should visit the factory and see where his clubs are made and if you know anything about raw materials decide for yourself if they are what are being pawned off on people through dealers or the Bo**Squid site.

One thing that is funny is whatever this squabble is among owners/members/ is between this site and Bombsquad (kind of feel funny for even typing their name), people will only pay for product that perfoms and is worth the money, if if doesn't perform nobody will buy it. I really don't get involved with this, because if it isn't free it isn't for me, but the other guy also sells equipment from all other manufactors. He gets it from somewhere, more power to him for creating a nice little niche for himself. I wish I would have done this, beats staying open 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

Bumke69,

This is the part that bothers me about your whole post and the general direction of this thread. You seem to be trying to turn this whole discussion into WRX vs BSG. Does WRX sell Tour or retail equipment? No we don't. JC sells tour equipment but, none of it goes to WRX's bottom line.

The question has nothing to do with WRX vs BSG. BSG is a business that's one principal is to promote products that they sell. Stick around for awhile, you will find that this place is very different. Also, we are not the ones that censor competitor names off the board or change posters names to something childish. We simply discourage the mention of their name because they censor ours. They can market themselves just like any retail store and they seem to be doing a good job. What do they say about WRX? We are copiers, player haters, etc. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Are the questions being asked legit or bashing? The only thing being debated is the merits of the irons and the confusion that occurred based upon how it was brought to market. The simple fact of the matter is that these were Tour protos and everyone is probably right. Depending upon the grind and finish was done to any particular iron and at whatever stage of production they were tested.

Whatever fits your eye, play it. If you are concerned about resale value, then shop wisely. No different than any other hobby.

WRX is not going to take members away from BSG and BSG is not going to take away members from WRX. We are two golf websites on the Internet and performance will dictate growth. Not childish antics and bashing. Debate the merits of the irons but, before coloring your perception, take a peek behind the curtains.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

You don't really think that the set that Tom Watson is playing is the same material do you???? Perhaps you should visit the factory and see where his clubs are made and if you know anything about raw materials decide for yourself if they are what are being pawned off on people through dealers ...

Of course not!

Adams built the "Tom Watson" factory (where they make the good A-Tours) right next to their "Crappy Materials to Burn the Customers" factory (where they make the bad A-Tours.) They have a guy who runs back and forth between the two factories with a can of red paint and a can of black paint and a little pointy paintbrush and....well, you know all about that. :)

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]