2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

iPhone GPS app?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for an iPhone app that tracks my shot distances, such as how far I just hit a drive. It doesn't have to be a golf-specific GPS. Just something I can mark at a shot then mark where it winds up.

Any help is appreciated!

I saw on the iTunes store that there are a few apps that allow you to map your course.

ViewTi

YouCaddie Golf GPS

AirVue

ProCreative Golf 09

GreenFinder

GolfSuite

GolfCard

I have Golfcard but my courses are not mapped.

Wowzer! I had no idea that you could these sort of apps for my iPhone. Would be a fantastic app to have on my iPhone if my course is mapped (which I think it is) and instead of paying £150/200 for a Bushnell or SkyCaddie, I can get an app like this for under £1 which is awesome. Certainly going to have a look at those apps you've listed Titan!

EDIT: GET THE f*** IN!!!!!!! Just went onto ViewTi's website and have found out that my course is mapped. Whoopee, 'gonna download the app later on. It may be $25 for the full ViewTi GPS package, but who cares, 1/8 of the price of a SkyCaddie.... awesome! Can't wait to try this app out on the course this week.

Wowzer! I had no idea that you could these sort of apps for my iPhone. Would be a fantastic app to have on my iPhone if my course is mapped (which I think it is) and instead of paying £150/200 for a Bushnell or SkyCaddie, I can get an app like this for under £1 which is awesome. Certainly going to have a look at those apps you've listed Titan!

EDIT: GET THE f*** IN!!!!!!! Just went onto ViewTi's website and have found out that my course is mapped. Whoopee, 'gonna download the app later on. It may be $25 for the full ViewTi GPS package, but who cares, 1/8 of the price of a SkyCaddie.... awesome! Can't wait to try this app out on the course this week.

I am using Golfcaddie. I just mapped 4 courses online through www.imakepars.com

I just put the GPS through a test with the Youcaddie and it was as accurate as my friend's Sonocaddie. His Sonocaddie cost $400 and my iPhone was only $300 + it's a phone, accesses the internet and works as a regular GPS. It is superior in every way to a dedicated GPS unit. There are two holes that I was always making a bogey or double bogey, and using it, I made pars on both.

It doesn't make your putts, but it helped me get onto the green in regulation.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until Friday to get my new iPhone, but it is in the mail. I am also just looking for a GPS app that will measure shot distances. I already have a range finder, which I prefer to the GPS for approach shot distances. But would like to track exact distances of shots, especially drives. Anybody know which apps will do this?

After looking at the ViewTi website, it appears that you can mark your location to track distances. Whether it stores the distance for each club, I do not know.

http://www.viewti.com/

I grabbed the ViewTi app and have used it on two occassions. It keeps track of score, fairways hit, greens in regulation, no. of putts and golf score. It works rather quickly and is accurate. I can put a cursor on any spot on the map to determine a yardage. It has given me a lot of useful data (i.e. should I go for it or lay up).

There are numerous courses mapped. I verified that they mapped the courses that I play.

I spent most of last night looking at these apps. It looks like Teedroid will measure all your shots and keep track of them through out the round. But it is $20/year, not just $20. They only map the front, middle and back of the greens.

I emailed ViewTI customer service and asked, because they do not list this feature. They stated that it is in their next update. They are just waiting on Apple to approve it and post it. Should be in the next few days. But I would wait until I see it before buying the software. Also, it looks like they only map the front, middle and back of the greens, no additional hazards or layup areas.

Airvue will measure shot distances. But they do not show you what they map for their courses, just that it is mapped.

ProCreative Golf 09 will track shot distances. But again, you cannot custom map a course.

Caddy allow you to custom map courses. Also keeps track of the shot distances.

I also downloaded myCaddie. It looks like this has the capability to measure your shot, but you will have to keep track of the numbers. The best part is it is free. You can custom map courses too. They also have myCaddie pro which is $10 with extra features. But all I personally want is to measure my distances hit. Possibly a custom yardage book would be nice too. I will be trying this one out today. I will post an update later today.

The real question now is the accuracy of the gps use. The gps in the iphone has the ability to be as accurate as the dedicated units, but must be utilized correctly to do so.

I'm looking for an iPhone app that tracks my shot distances, such as how far I just hit a drive. It doesn't have to be a golf-specific GPS. Just something I can mark at a shot then mark where it winds up.

Any help is appreciated!

I've used tapemeasure before for measuring shots. Not the most accurate tool, and it only measures in feet and meters right now, but with some quick math you can get yards.

hope this helps.

L

So I decided to buy Caddy and give it a try. It works OK, but not great for measuring shots. It also takes a long time to sync up with the GPS. But then again, I think they all do that.

I also downloaded myCaddie, since it was free. This one will measure shots very well. And it's free. Seems to be reasonably accurate. I think this is a good one to stick with for shot measuring alone.

So I decided to buy Caddy and give it a try. It works OK, but not great for measuring shots. It also takes a long time to sync up with the GPS. But then again, I think they all do that.

I also downloaded myCaddie, since it was free. This one will measure shots very well. And it's free. Seems to be reasonably accurate. I think this is a good one to stick with for shot measuring alone.

That's what I've been reading about all theses iphone golf gps apps, they take too long to sync up a yardage...plus some reports of random crashes and restarts during the round, etc. It's all in the app store reviews...

My 3GS should be here Monday or Tuesday and I was excited about trying either ViewTi or Airvue - ViewTI has more courses mapped in my area but AirVue does F/M/B where ViewTI does not...

But will and the reports of slow readings and crashing I may just skip these gps apps all together and keep using my SG5.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Hi, I am the developer of Caddy. I would be interested in understanding why the application is not great for measuring shot distances. I am always looking ways of improving the application.

Regards,

Mark.

I just put the GPS through a test with the Youcaddie and it was as accurate as my friend's Sonocaddie. His Sonocaddie cost $400 and my iPhone was only $300 + it's a phone, accesses the internet and works as a regular GPS. It is superior in every way to a dedicated GPS unit.

I dunno about that 'superior in every way' part of your comment.

Does the iPhone even have enough battery power to run for a whole weekend-tees-are-backed-up 5 hour round of golf? I'd be hard pressed to call a device that lasts 3 hours when you need it to last 5 as "superior" to anything. I'd call that "broken".

It's great that there are options out there to the handheld GPS, but these iPhone apps do have their glaring drawbacks as well. Who knows. Maybe the newest iteration of the iPhone will have increased battery life.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

Hi, I am the developer of Caddy. I would be interested in understanding why the application is not great for measuring shot distances. I am always looking ways of improving the application.

Regards,

Mark.

It just seemed to take a very long time to get a GPS lock, even when the program was already running. If your in the main screen, it is OK, and the status shows up quickly. But I was trying to mark the positions on the green. I was waiting for the status bar to light up on the mark location screen. That's what seemed to take a very long time. Maybe I was just rushed because I was doing this while everyone else was putting out.

I just put the GPS through a test with the Youcaddie and it was as accurate as my friend's Sonocaddie. His Sonocaddie cost $400 and my iPhone was only $300 + it's a phone, accesses the internet and works as a regular GPS. It is superior in every way to a dedicated GPS unit.

I dunno about that 'superior in every way' part of your comment.

Does the iPhone even have enough battery power to run for a whole weekend-tees-are-backed-up 5 hour round of golf? I'd be hard pressed to call a device that lasts 3 hours when you need it to last 5 as "superior" to anything. I'd call that "broken".

It's great that there are options out there to the handheld GPS, but these iPhone apps do have their glaring drawbacks as well. Who knows. Maybe the newest iteration of the iPhone will have increased battery life.

I had the 3G when I ran ViewTi and it lasted about 5 hours.

I have the 3GS so it lasts about 6 to 6.5 hours. I am looking into one of the battery extenders that is supposed to add a few more hours.

I meant that for the cost, I am not only able to have a Golf GPS but everything else. It is only my opinion. I have no need for getting a golf GPS, anymore.

I downloaded ViewTi about 2 weeks ago and have used it several times- simple and pretty accurate- I do wish it would load a tad quicker, but when I'm walking it seems about right....my only question is when you are out of 'cell range' it doesn't seem to work, which can be an issue if you golf in remote places....for example I'm at Suncadia in eastern Wa. today and it can't log on and be used(but I also have bushnell as a bu)...such places as Bandon Dunes may cause the same issue?????

I'm very tempted to pu the new 3gS as it has a more accurate GPS system(locks on without triangling cell towers), I already called ViewTi and the current version is compatible with the 3gs..

All and all great app! battery must be charged to work on a 5 hr round however... That and it have a very slick way to track all your stats and save them or email them too!