Cleveland CG7 Tours

yedi015

Any Good?
I went and hit some into a net today and they felt really good. I am wondering why not a lot of talk on theses Irons or Cleveland in general. To top it off with the deal they have going on I had to at least hit them that what drew me to them. I never was really a Cleveland fan but these are pretty good. Any thoughts on these Irons or Cleveland Golf. Thanks

Team beachbody coach
WITB Link

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a mint condition set of used ones at a local shop. I typically disliked s300 shafts in the past, but recent distance increases left me feeling like I was compromising dispersion with my previous irons. Idk if the cg7 tours have a higher bbgm, or what, but I'm totally digging my game with these new sticks.

Ballflight didn't come down all that much, but my dispersion has tightened up, as well as my distance consistency. Relative to my previous irons, I'm slightly longer in part due to the 1-2* stronger lofts, but I'm consistently longer due to the better fit of these clubs than my previous set.

My Maltby MTFs sounded better on pure shots, as they had that soft, forged thwack, but with the gelback inserts these cg7 tours sound and feel smooth as well. The cg7 tours have been very forgiving as well, despite the slightly smaller head than the Maltbys.

All around great sticks, and I wish I could get the local shop to give me a receipt that I could register my clubs with Cleveland with since I know the previous owner did not. He only had them for a month according to the store.

The 3 & 4i are fairly forgiving, and I am currently tinkering with putting the 4i back in the bag. The 3i is fun to hit every now and then, but the consistency just isn't there. This is where I think clubs like the 09 Burners shine.

If a company would incorporate that kind of progressive spacing & design throughout the set, but keep a heavier, tighter shaft in the set, I'd be all over it.

I do wish the cg7 tours offered a 50* gw option as the cg14s have softer tipped shafts in them which is great for touch shots but on full shots there's a different feel and much more height.

[quote name='yedi015' post='1837986' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:31 PM']I went and hit some into a net today and they felt really good. I am wondering why not a lot of talk on theses Irons or Cleveland in general. To top it off with the deal they have going on I had to at least hit them that what drew me to them. I never was really a Cleveland fan but these are pretty good. Any thoughts on these Irons or Cleveland Golf. Thanks[/quote]
My last few sets I have owned in most recent order ,AP2s,G10s,R7tps,Xtours,MX23s,Hogan Pros. Got AP2s this year and really liked them but experienced ballooning with shorter irons and felt it due to PX 5.5 shafts. The Cleveland Promo along with a sale on the Clevelands from a local prominent top 100 golf shop got me to try the golds (CG7s ) and CG7 Tours. Bought the CG7Tours and have had them two weeks. LOve the irons and my trajectory with these sticks matched with my good old DNG S300 is the best it's been in years. Not G10 forgiveness nor should they be but ample and maybe the longest irons I have played in awhile and they don,t have jacked up lofts. This may sound wierd but I am 62,played 30+ years,owned 20+ sets of mainly forged CBs and by simply picking up an iron it fells substantial or doesn,t. This usually translates for me whether it works or doesn,t and the CG 7 Tours did. As a minor point I am a tradionalist ( look at age) and don,t like crap on cavity but got used to the 7,s cavity in a few days to where they look sharp. On top of all this is being a cluboholic I am set for my choice of new sticks in 2010 or 11 without the usual hassels. BTW this promo is ONLY for original buyers as well it should be or else the promo would be killed along with Cleveland,s bottom line.

The CG7 Tours are great irons...I am currently playing the Tour Concepts and they are as pure as any iron I have ever hit. The S300 shaft works perfectly for my game (of course I was fitted). I also have a retail set of CG7 irons. They are longggggggg. They are stupid easy to hit and I am at least a club and a half longer with these. I demoed all the new OEM offerings and by far the CG7 line was my choice.

After demoing and trying several new iron sets, I have a set of CG7 tours on order with my all time favorite shafts.

I must admit, although these were my favorites of everything I tried, (I really liked the CG reds too), I probably would NOT have pulled the trigger if Cleveland did NOT have their current promotion. So chalk up one for their marketing/sales department:)

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

[quote name='hardten' post='1838321' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:56 AM']BTW this promo is ONLY for original buyers as well it should be or else the promo would be killed along with Cleveland,s bottom line.[/quote]

I know it only applies to the original buyer. However, if I were able to register these clubs for the promo, it would not have any additional effect on Cleveland. The retailer paid wholesale for the clubs, original buyer paid full price for them, he did not register them, therefore he cannot use the promo since it requires the owner to trade in the cg7s for the new set. I'm not upset that I can't register them, I just thought it would be cool if I could since it wouldn't have any additional negative impact on Cleveland or the shop I buy from, which not only got $700 from the original owner, but an additional $390 from me, minus the trade in credit given the original buyer.

Back OT... great sticks. Nice looking from address, all the funky business in the cavity aside.

[code] I know it only applies to the original buyer. However, if I were able to register these clubs for the promo, it would not have any additional effect on Cleveland. The retailer paid wholesale for the clubs, original buyer paid full price for them, he did not register them, therefore he cannot use the promo since it requires the owner to trade in the cg7s for the new set. I'm not upset that I can't register them, I just thought it would be cool if I could since it wouldn't have any additional negative impact on Cleveland or the shop I buy from, which not only got $700 from the original owner, but an additional $390 from me, minus the trade in credit given the original buyer.

Back OT... great sticks. Nice looking from address, all the funky business in the cavity aside.[/code]

Well you wont qualify for the promo cause you only have 5-pw and you dont have the original receipt. The promo is for a minimum of 7 pc or 8 pc sets of irons.

The CG7 Tours are the loneliest clubs at demo day. They don't have a forged head and the inserts in the cavity look cheap. The type of player they were designed for is probably going to head for something from Mizuno or Titleist. Even so, they are fine clubs for shotmakers looking for something workable but more forgiving than a muscle back. In terms of forgiveness, playability and feedback, they remind me of MP-57s, but they can't match the sound at impact. Whenever I hit them at a demo day, I'm impressed, but the shaft options have been limited. DG S300s are too much for me these days, lightweight steel would make them a better option for my game. Because the sole is relatively thin for a modern iron, precision is necessary for a cleanly struck shot. There are easier to hit and more forgiving player's cavity backs out there. The insert takes away most of the stingers but still allows for some feedback and in that way offers some improvement over the CG Reds. If you are open minded enough to consider something other than a forged head and want a player's cb that leans a bit more toward finesse than forgiveness, the CG7 Tours are worth a swing.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

[quote name='golfNashTN' post='1838968' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:17 PM'][code] I know it only applies to the original buyer. However, if I were able to register these clubs for the promo, it would not have any additional effect on Cleveland. The retailer paid wholesale for the clubs, original buyer paid full price for them, he did not register them, therefore he cannot use the promo since it requires the owner to trade in the cg7s for the new set. I'm not upset that I can't register them, I just thought it would be cool if I could since it wouldn't have any additional negative impact on Cleveland or the shop I buy from, which not only got $700 from the original owner, but an additional $390 from me, minus the trade in credit given the original buyer.

Back OT... great sticks. Nice looking from address, all the funky business in the cavity aside.[/code]

Well you wont qualify for the promo cause you only have 5-pw and you dont have the original receipt. The promo is for a minimum of 7 pc or 8 pc sets of irons.[/quote]
Not that it matters but I have 3-pw.
Again, great irons... I'm playing very solid golf lately, and it's honestly turned around since I got the cg7 tours.

• 4 months later...

I love the Cleveland stuff. The CG7 tours are a great iron. The are pretty forgiving for a players club and are very workable. You can't see the cavity from address so that really doesn't matter. They cut through the turf very nice and feel very soft when struck right. I don't think you can go wrong with these sticks.

• 4 months later...