2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Putting Practice

Deadpool_25

What are some good drills?
I'm wanting to start taking lunch over at the course and doing some practice putting. I figure I can get in about a 30-40 minute session. I'd like to make the putting sessions productive. Should I just drop a single ball, pick a hole and put 'til it's in the hole (simulating on-course putting)? Maybe putt a bunch of 3-5 footers? Pelz drills (i.e. 3 putts from 20 ft from one side, switch sides, 10 putts in a row in safe zone; 30/40/50 ft drills)? Some mix?

Thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our range has a putting surface with 18 holes, marked 1 to 18, on it. I take a single ball drop from a random place and put 1 to 18. I annoy all the players who make the same shot 12 times but I think it's really the only way to practice. My putting on course has gone from 54 to ~45. I'm constantly improving. When I'm bored at home I putt into a cup in the living room.

I don't remember where I heard it but somebody once said hitting the same shot more then twice is useless; you don't do that on the course.

I have to say, what I find most useful, is getting as many balls as there are holes, and stand in the middle of the green and hit each one to a different hole, taking your time. Then go and knock them in, maybe retaking them if you miss the 2nd putt. Good range of putts take place on this one, although it may annoy others around you :)

I pretty much stick to three drills..
Circle drill from 3 feet with 10 balls.. trying to make 100 in a row
Circle drill form 6 feet with 10 balls.. just trying to make 10 in a row.. not that easy
Putt from 40/50/60 feet
I place 3 balls from 40, 4 balls at 50, and 3 at 60
I hit three putts from 50, then 40, then 60, then one more from 50.. making sure I get all ten within three feet. I do this uphill and downhill.. and I think it has definitely improved my touch as I rarely three putt now..

I also do some work with Aimpoint simulating on course putting since it is part of my routine

[quote name='Zorblack' post='1967876' date='Sep 23 2009, 02:44 PM']Our range has a putting surface with 18 holes, marked 1 to 18, on it. I take a single ball drop from a random place and put 1 to 18. I annoy all the players who make the same shot 12 times but I think it's really the only way to practice. My putting on course has gone from 54 to ~45. I'm constantly improving. When I'm bored at home I putt into a cup in the living room.

I don't remember where I heard it but somebody once said hitting the same shot more then twice is useless; you don't do that on the course.[/quote]

I don't mean to be a dick (famous last words,) but you are really out of line. If there is a general way of doing things on the putting green you frequent, it is really your responsibility not to disrupt that, and not to annoy the other people practicing. Also, again not to be a dick, but if you are at 45 putts per round, you might realize that knowing how to practice putting is not really your strength, and that you could learn from the way others at the green are doing it.

Personally, I like to practice 10 footers and 20 footers to holes, and then long putts to tees I put in the ground. I see no reason to practice 3-5 footers on a practice green full of footprints. I do that at home on a truth board so that I can see if I am making good strokes from that distance.

I've spent a fair amount of time lately on tempo. Very important. I was/am a typical golfer that given the same putt 5 times in a row would probably hit it with a different speed/tempo each time. With mastering (attempting to anyways) the stroke, my putting has gotten way better. I'll pace off a distance on a flattish part of the green and just work on hitting it that exact length using the same stroke and tempo. Lag putting got instantly better and now my misses leave me inside a foot or two almost every time. I'm trying to get to the point where every stroke takes the exact same time

Aside from that, I'd work on 6 foot and in as much as you can stand. Maybe take some notes and practice the distances you usually find yourself left with on the course. Most of my practice is within the 10 foot range. I'll still hit some lags, but I don't focus too much on them. I don't hit enough greens to have to deal with them too much :)

I started doing 2 drills and it has helped me improve alot.

1 drill: Whatever you do just putt with your right hand if you are right handed. It helps with feel

2 drill: Putt with looking at the hole and not at the ball, again helps with feel

To me putting is part technique and part feel. If you can get comfortable with the feel you can learn the technique.

[quote name='zmaz' post='1968012' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:54 PM']I don't mean to be a dick (famous last words,) but you are really out of line. If there is a general way of doing things on the putting green you frequent, it is really your responsibility not to disrupt that, and not to annoy the other people practicing. Also, again not to be a dick, but if you are at 45 putts per round, you might realize that knowing how to practice putting is not really your strength, and that you could learn from the way others at the green are doing it.[/quote]

I don't take it as being a dick at all. I will mention though that I'm using the green in the proper way, that is why it's numbered 1 to 18. There is even a sign stating you're suppose to play that way, however people will pour out a bucket of balls and start hitting the same shot over and over (usually 30 foot shots at that).

Never said I was a strong putter, I'm simple mentioning what has improved my game.. BTW I shoot about 38-40 on the putting green, I choke on the course.

Peace

[quote name='Zorblack' post='1968090' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:28 PM'][quote name='zmaz' post='1968012' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:54 PM']I don't mean to be a dick (famous last words,) but you are really out of line. If there is a general way of doing things on the putting green you frequent, it is really your responsibility not to disrupt that, and not to annoy the other people practicing. Also, again not to be a dick, but if you are at 45 putts per round, you might realize that knowing how to practice putting is not really your strength, and that you could learn from the way others at the green are doing it.[/quote]

I don't take it as being a dick at all. I will mention though that I'm using the green in the proper way, that is why it's numbered 1 to 18. There is even a sign stating you're suppose to play that way, however people will pour out a bucket of balls and start hitting the same shot over and over (usually 30 foot shots at that).

Never said I was a strong putter, I'm simple mentioning what has improved my game.. BTW I shoot about 38-40 on the putting green, I choke on the course.

Peace
[/quote]

Is it a putt putt course? That's just strange. Not that it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it where you're expected to progress through the holes.

[quote name='jershan1' post='1967971' date='Sep 23 2009, 02:31 PM']I pretty much stick to three drills..
Circle drill form 6 feet with 10 balls.. just trying to make 10 in a row.. not that easy
Putt from 40/50/60 feet
I hit three putts from 50, then 40, then 60, then one more from 50.. making sure I get all ten within three feet. I do this uphill and downhill.. and I think it has definitely improved my touch as I rarely three putt now..[/quote]

This is what I have been doing as well. It is straight out of Phil Mickelson's Secret of the Short Game DVDs (2009).

I do the 3ft and 6ft circle drill before each round. My confidence level on the green has improved significantly.

[quote name='jershan1' post='1967971' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:31 PM']Is it a putt putt course? That's just strange. Not that it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it where you're expected to progress through the holes.[/quote]

It is not. It's a large range, It has a driving range, pitching section, chipping section and 2 putting sections. One is the 1-18 and other has (I think) 12 holes that people can park.

[quote name='jershan1' post='1967971' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:31 PM']I pretty much stick to three drills..
Putt from 40/50/60 feet
I hit three putts from 50, then 40, then 60, then one more from 50.. making sure I get all ten within three feet. I do this uphill and downhill.. and I think it has definitely improved my touch as I rarely three putt now..

I also do some work with Aimpoint simulating on course putting since it is part of my routine[/quote]

This is a pretty good routine. This probably takes you almost an hour? Whew... :lazy2:

What's Aimpoint?

Thanks for the input. Some good stuff here! Keep it comin'!

[quote name='highergr0und' post='1968015' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:56 PM']I've spent a fair amount of time lately on tempo. Very important. I was/am a typical golfer that given the same putt 5 times in a row would probably hit it with a different speed/tempo each time. With mastering (attempting to anyways) the stroke, my putting has gotten way better. I'll pace off a distance on a flattish part of the green and just work on hitting it that exact length using the same stroke and tempo. Lag putting got instantly better and now my misses leave me inside a foot or two almost every time. I'm trying to get to the point where every stroke takes the exact same time

Aside from that, I'd work on 6 foot and in as much as you can stand. Maybe take some notes and practice the distances you usually find yourself left with on the course. Most of my practice is within the 10 foot range. I'll still hit some lags, but I don't focus too much on them. I don't hit enough greens to have to deal with them too much :)[/quote]

I like the tempo stuff. Good ideas. I think I'll work on that. Also agree on the importance of putts 10ft and in.

[quote name='Zorblack' post='1968090' date='Sep 23 2009, 04:28 PM']...BTW I shoot about 38-40 on the putting green, I choke on the course.

Peace[/quote]

Are you going through your entire routine during practice? That can help with taking it to the course.

[quote name='fretbored' post='1968156' date='Sep 23 2009, 05:06 PM'][quote name='jershan1' post='1967971' date='Sep 23 2009, 02:31 PM']I pretty much stick to three drills..
Putt from 40/50/60 feet
I hit three putts from 50, then 40, then 60, then one more from 50.. making sure I get all ten within three feet. I do this uphill and downhill.. and I think it has definitely improved my touch as I rarely three putt now..[/quote]

This is what I have been doing as well. It is straight out of Phil Mickelson's Secret of the Short Game DVDs (2009).

I do the 3ft and 6ft circle drill before each round. My confidence level on the green has improved significantly.
[/quote]

Not surprising that Phil uses those drills. They are Pelz drills. People might be down on Pelz but he has some good drills IMO.

[quote name='rs18' post='1968189' date='Sep 23 2009, 05:24 PM'][quote name='jershan1' post='1967971' date='Sep 23 2009, 12:31 PM']I pretty much stick to three drills..
Putt from 40/50/60 feet

I also do some work with Aimpoint simulating on course putting since it is part of my routine[/quote]

This is a pretty good routine. This probably takes you almost an hour? Whew... :lazy2:

What's Aimpoint?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's a long putting session I bet. Nothing wrong with that if you can handle it (my back starts acting up after a while).

I also am wondering what Aimpoint is. Guess I'll go Google it!

Good advice for long game practice is to approach shots on the range like you are playing real golf. Instead of pounding ball after ball, take your time, change clubs often, go through your normal pre-shot routine and hit to targets, thinking about target and how you want the ball to fly. Anyone can get into a groove hitting a bunch of 7 irons in a row, but that's not how it is on the course.

Think about practice putting the same way. How many times on the practice green do you get behind the ball to read the putt? If you're like most folks, probably never, even on long putts. Your practice on the green will be better if you practice with one ball, and treat each putt like it is a real one on the course. Crouch behind the ball to look at the line. Take your normal pre-putt practice swings. If possible, remove the small pin from the hole also...the pin helps, slightly, with aiming and orientation, and it isn't there in real play.

Good luck.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Hi. I'm usually seeking advice on this forum rather than giving it, but I couldn't resist passing on the Putting ReportCard drills on Geoff Mangums site. This is the best set of drills I've ever come across for putting and I frequently go back to it as its good fun and you can really measure the improvements. Hope it helps.

[url="http://www.puttingzone.com/Tips/GeoffTips/reportcard.pdf"]http://www.puttingzone.com/Tips/GeoffTips/reportcard.pdf[/url]

In putting the most important thing is pace...how many times you see tiger roll one in on the side of the cup..Wether you put down the line or open gate closed gate you'll have to develop a fluid smooth stroke in order to do this consistently.One drill I like to practice is to hold the putter in my fingertips.Try to make a few 8-10 fters..You cannot be anything but smooth and fluid with it in the tips of your fingers as it will wave off line.It taught me about my grip pressure.I am a right hand putter.i need to be sure my grip pressure is light to ensure I don't get off line. I think in general it will help ya to improve your stroke overall.That should give ya a good base to work from..Practice dying the ball in the hole from 8'...Practice hitting the ball in the middle so it munches turf as it tracks to the hole and it eats its way into the cup.

They say putting is the most individual aspect of the game.You see so many different styles I just shake my head..If you look at tiger he has the best fundamentals in the game when it comes to putting.Hard to argue with the results.
You should start with emulating his stance and grip..
Over all just practice.if you spend a half hr a day on the putting surface your stroke will improve,you confidence will improve and you will make more putts..

I read about a drill where you putt 6 balls from 4 feet of hole (straight putts), putt all 6 balls without looking up to see where the putt goes (just listen to hear if it went in the cup). This is supposed to train you to keep your head down. The next day I on Playing Lessons the Pro talked about how most amatuers look up too soon to see where the putt is going, he said that a lot of the pro's will actually try to keep their head down and look out of the corner of their eyes to watch the putt in an effort to resist the urge to look up too soon.

I have done this drill at every practice session and before each round, it has really helped.

Joe

Some really good info in here...

I see most of you guys talking about distance and feel which is great but how bout form? i work on form a lot on the green, the most important to me is keeping my head down, i keep my head down until i hear the ball fall into the cup or it stops rolling. I also work on not being too handsy thru my stroke and letting my shoulders do the work.

I also like to work on my little chip and runs/flops from just off the green...and try to get up and down with all my practice balls, this is great practice to take to the course!!

Here's a secret little drill. Don't tell anyone about it, OK?

Every once in a while, spend your 30 minute session looking at the hole for every single putt. Read the putt, set up, then focus on the exact blade of grass on the edge of the hole you want to roll the ball over. You'll be shocked at how accurate you can become.

After 30 minutes, your natural putting motion will be grooved and your distance control should take a giant leap in improvement.

Try it.

[quote name='Juan73' post='1981662' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:50 AM']Here are some putting drills that I have used..last year to prep for a putting tournament.

[url="http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index.php/topic,8078.0.html"]http://www.puttertalk.com/community/index....pic,8078.0.html[/url][/quote]

Those drills and the reportCard games look fantastic. Thanks to both of you for posting those.

Whatever drills you end up doing, try to make it fun for yourself and play a little game with yourself. I like to place 10 balls at 7 feet, 12 feet and 20 feet. Start at 7 feet, I try to make every one, but thats not the real goal. The goal is to putt every ball by the hole. If I leave one of the 10 short, I dont go on to 12, or 20 feet.

Just gets you to work on your speed control and there is nothing worse than getting one on line and leaving it dead in the jaws.

Try to make it fun, if its fun you will spend more time doing it.